My Henry, Raiders style

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

MaXer
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

My Henry, Raiders style

Post by MaXer »

I've actually had this for a while, I've just kept it in hidden in the long, still growing "help me" thread I created. But I think it's about time I share it with the world.

The Henry looked awesome when it arrived, but I decided to play around with it anyway, to make it look as close as possible to what I consider "THE hat". Here's where I ended up.

The crown looks a little tall, but I've gotten some suggestions on how to make it look shorter. I've played around a little, but I'm not happy with the result yet, so I haven't taken any more pics yet.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: My Henry, Raiders style

Post by BendingOak »

What is the height of the front and back crease?
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

The crown looks a little tall, but it still looks great. :)
beaverlid
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by beaverlid »

Your bash looks pretty good. Compared to the photos, my amateur eye thinks it is spot on.

Beaverlid
MaXer
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MaXer »

Thanks all!

BendingOak, I've worked with it since then, but the measurements now are (measured from the bottom of ribbon):

not following the bend of the felt:

To the front crease: 12 cm
To the back crease: 10 cm
To top of hump: 13 cm

Following the bend:

Front crease: 12.5
Back crease: 10
To where the hat is tallest, following the curvature: 15.5

I'll try taking new photos of it. I haven't compared since I worked with it, but I still think it looks too tall in the front.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I would make the front ( measure ring from the brim break or bottom of the ribbon to the top crease) just a hair under 4 3/4

On the back 4 14 ( again starting my rule at the bottom of the ribbon ).
MaXer
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MaXer »

Hmm, google says 4 3/4 inch is 12.065 cm, so my front should actually be okay. Depending on if you follow the curvature of the hat or not.

4 1/4 inch is 10.795 cm, so I should actually raise it a little?

When you do those measurements, do you follow the curvature or measure straight up and align by eyesight?

If I push down the crease in the front the humps look huge and weird. I've tried to make them look shorter by trying to "push" them down, taking it out a bit in the sides, but I can't make it do it... I don't have the tools or experience, I guess.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

You need to beat it up buddy. As much as I hate to say so, but if you want a hat to look like hats from the screen graps you've posted, it needs to be "Dandalized"... :CR:

Regards,

Marc
MaXer
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MaXer »

It took a lot of talking-myself-into-doing-it, but I did sit on it a couple of times. Should I just do that some more, or do you have a better way?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Once you get the front and back crease os set and the humps don't look right. You will need to change the side creases. That I can only say , look at my video. It should help. Here's the link www.facebook.com/penmanhats
MaXer
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MaXer »

Thanks, I'll give that a try!
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

:TOH:

Marc
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Oh no, it's Matt.
MaXer
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MaXer »

Marc wrote:Image

:TOH:

Marc
:shock: :rolling: :mrgreen:

If you supply the Aldens, I'm game for trying. :P
MaXer
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MaXer »

Here the current state of my hat, outside.

Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

Looks good Max. :)
MaXer
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MaXer »

Much obliged. :TOH:
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Does look great, but it's better if you can get someone to take the shots for you at a distance. The close-ups distort the proportions of the hat. :TOH:

Ian
IndysGal43
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndysGal43 »

great hat and i love your eyes!!

:P
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Steve just reblocked my Henry and he did a great job! Many thanks! It remains my floppiest Raiders hat to date. When that hat makin' machine gits-with-it...you've got everything to gain and nothin' to lose. :TOH:
Dangerman009
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerman009 »

Looks good to me. :clap: The height difference in the pictures may be due to the focal length of the lens.
MaXer
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MaXer »

Ian wrote:Does look great, but it's better if you can get someone to take the shots for you at a distance. The close-ups distort the proportions of the hat. :TOH:

Ian
Yea, I know. It'll come. ;)
IndysGal43 wrote:great hat and i love your eyes!!

:P
Aw, thanks. :) :oops:
Texan Scott wrote:Steve just reblocked my Henry and he did a great job! Many thanks! It remains my floppiest Raiders hat to date. When that hat makin' machine gits-with-it...you've got everything to gain and nothin' to lose. :TOH:
Very nice. I haven't had anything done by him yet, but I only hear good things!
Dangerman009 wrote:Looks good to me. :clap: The height difference in the pictures may be due to the focal length of the lens.
Yea that's been suggested before, I think. I tried it out, but it doesn't seem to be the case.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Ah, a good time to post pics of my own Henry. I reblocked it awhile back, and shortened the crown height by 1/4 an inch. Creased specs now are 4 5/8 front, 3 7/8 back, and 4 7/8 on the sides. I have worn the snot out of this hat, as it was a great summer hat, as this hat is really lightweight compared to the beaver hats. And this felt is Raiders soft to boot. The crown will even distort if you sit the hat like I did below on a block and snap pics of it. But the softness sure makes for a real comforatable wearing hat. I love it.

I took these pics up close and the hat looks taller than it actually is, due to this.

Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

You know, with the Raiders hat, some pics show it to be only a 5 inch open crown hat, and if you use the ribbon to determine the height of the creased hat, it appears to be under 5 inches tall on the sides, probably closer to 4 3/4. Even some of the LC hats look to be taller, to me than some of the Raiders hats.

I wonder if some of the Raider fedoras in the film lost crown height in the heat? That would explain it. But even then, I just don't think today that the Raiders fedora was 5 1/2 open crown. I think the tallest of the Raiders hats was 5 1/4 open crown MAX, with some at 5 inches open crown. I say this because I can make a hat with a 5 inch open crown height, and I can get the 4 1/2 front, 3 3/4 back and 4 3/4 on the sides which looks to be more accurate to most of the film hats. Everything seems to fall into place using the shorter crown heights. But being used to taller hats, would take some time to get used to a shorter fedora. I know one thing, making a shorter hat would sure add more stability to the future shrinkage, and I doubt you would see as much early taper with a shorter hat.

This crown height issue has bothered me for awhile now. Especially since comparing the CS height to the Raiders height. The CS was definetely taller, going by the films. Funny that they first chose the shorter hat, then Steven picked the taller! And Harrison was involved in picking the shorter, I think. With more brim to boot than the taller. Yet the crown height on the hat they had in hand from another film was almost 5 1/2. Odd. But that was at the tallest point on top of the crown, and it was a pointy crown, with most of the top crown being well below 5 1/2.

I think the truth of the matter is, the Raiders hat was just not as tall as I thought. Well, customers can specify crown heights on new hats. Perhaps I just need to leave that up to them! :lol: Then, I can't go wrong! :CR:
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: from Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil but living in Beirut, Lebanon

Post by tekors »

Great pics Steve,
thanks for sharing with us...
:tup:
teko
MaXer
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by MaXer »

Thanks for sharing, Steve. It's always great with some insight.
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

Steve, your Henry looks great! Thanks for sharing that information with us. It's always great to hear from you. :)
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Looks quite good to me, and as long as you're happy with it, you can't go wrong!
It's been a while since I have seen a clean Henry. Mine has been well loved - very floppy now, dusted with fullers earth here and there, it's been sat on, beat across my leg many times, crushed and fondled, petted, tossed....I have settled down with all of that in recent months since I have it looking and feeling exactly the way I like it.
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: from Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil but living in Beirut, Lebanon

Post by tekors »

generalFROSTY wrote:Looks quite good to me, and as long as you're happy with it, you can't go wrong!
It's been a while since I have seen a clean Henry. Mine has been well loved - very floppy now, dusted with fullers earth here and there, it's been sat on, beat across my leg many times, crushed and fondled, petted, tossed....I have settled down with all of that in recent months since I have it looking and feeling exactly the way I like it.
OUCH!!!! :P ](*,)