USW Striated Lamb Legend, US Made

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Holt
Craftsman

Re: USW Striated Lamb Legend, US Made

Post by Holt »

oh, I wouldnt worrie about wearing out quickly. I have seen a 30 year lamb that looks awesome but it has worn tru on the inner sleeve. what can one expect after 30 years of use with lamsbkin. and btw that lamb looks fairly thin and drapy, not like this USW type of lamb. if Im not mistaken the USW is not lamb but sheep.
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

No problem! ;)

Regards!
Indydawg
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

good to know that Holt :TOH:

It's just that I've had the old wears in quick thing said to me before,and I've seen it wear in...then wear out just as quick.

But then that was a METAL thing,not a LEATHER thing.
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

One word...Pecards! They have a product for any leather surface that will treat and protect the leather and make it last for MORE than one lifetime..

www.pecard.com
Regards!
Indydawg
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Dawg, that G-2 is still quite shiny without adding the Pecards to it! ;)
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Oh, I know what you mean, dude! But not all the Pecard products leave jackets shinier...the lotion just goes on and soaks in...but MIGHT deepen the coloring on those highlighted spots..since basically the shiny "surface" of that leather has worn off...
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Or I can just keep wearing the jacket. :lol:
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Yes...that IS yet another route ;)
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

So when is this thing supposed to ship?

Travis
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

At this time, roughly five weeks as far as I know.

Just a quick update; I wore mine today in a steady down pour for the better part of an hour today and stayed dry. And that, without any leather treatment whatsoever. I'm eager to see what it looks like when it dries out.

Weston
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Weston wrote:At this time, roughly five weeks as far as I know.

Just a quick update; I wore mine today in a steady down pour for the better part of an hour today and stayed dry. And that, without any leather treatment whatsoever. I'm eager to see what it looks like when it dries out.

Weston
Well after selling my naked cow, and missing out on a Magnoli open road after an unexpected 100 price increase, I ordered one today. Can't wait to get it and can't wait to see the pics of yours after the rain.

Travis
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

So, here's a quick question I have not seen an answer to; What are the differences in the import and the US made jacket (BESIDES the obvious! :roll: )? The pattern HAS to be the same, Right? Is the location in which it is constructed the only thing different? Is the liner the same? etc. etc.

Travis
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

Weston wrote: I've noticed that the sleeves are slimmer at the upper arms than the overseas jacket. The pockets are not quite as scalloped as the overseas jacket either. The lining is also very soft, not the crisp lining the offshore model comes with.

Weston
Very subtle comment from the first page, hollowpond. To be honest, that has me a bit curious about these jackets, but I'm sure they'll be pretty nice, USA made or not :)

-KB :D
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

After reading what Weston had to say about the IMPORT jacket, and reading what Bink posted from Sarge on the other thread, about $100 off the listed price of either jacket (that now being $195 for the import!!!) I'm definately giving the SL a go!!! (I guess at some point they'll notify me about being on the list for the no longer offered CALF and I can switch then...?)

Although the Naked Cow does look pretty good... :-k
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

RaidersBash wrote:After reading what Weston had to say about the IMPORT jacket, and reading what Bink posted from Sarge on the other thread, about $100 off the listed price of either jacket (that now being $195 for the import!!!) I'm definately giving the SL a go!!! (I guess at some point they'll notify me about being on the list for the no longer offered CALF and I can switch then...?)

Although the Naked Cow does look pretty good... :-k
That's great Raiderbash!

There was some question as to whether or not the SL has been treated to age rapidly. The surface is not at all flaky, but the underlying color is a lighter brown, not grey like you often times see in lambskin. The color is really showing up in the creases, especially in natural light. After wearing it this last week, I don't think it's going to take too long for it to look Indy Gear worthy, in terms of the leather itself.

Weston
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

Mitch LaRue wrote:Everyone has different tastes... and many people look for varyious different aspects of a jacket to "stand out" or simply "work" for them to like a certain jacket...
to each his (or her) own, of course...
but I'll give credit where I think it's due:
I think I can safely say that for what I look for in a Raiders Jacket, THIS is the finest U.S. Wings Raiders Jacket (of any of their various selections) that I've ever seen.
:) :tup:

And Weston, you wear it VERY well, sir.
:TOH:
Thank You! I will forward to Roz Schott... Roz takes a lot of Pride into what She does and so does Her Family for the past 100 Years in Business in the USA.

Regards,
Sarge
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

Having concluded there was no way I could afford the TN I had planned, I've instead decided to go for one of these beauties . Can't wait ! Another thank you to Sarge and myke for the discounts- not to mention making such a fine looking jacket
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Hope you made early arrangements for the U-Haul trailer so you can haul all those jackets this year. :-k

:lol: ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, but 24 hours in a day. LOTS of time to change a jacket in the schedule. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Dinner might cost less in the long run. :-k :[
The only other I can wear is the TN CS, and that's water under the bridge - and is frankly irreplacable.
Yep. :TOH:

I'm still awaiting the bison. That's going to be one sweet hide to make an Indy Schott jacket out of, let me tell you! =P~

Regard! Michaelson
indy1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indy1936 »

For those of us who were put on the list for a preorder - when will we be contacted about sizing and finalizing our orders? I scanned through the threads and didn't see any recent updates. Is the zipper pull still being offered in silver/nickel/brass on the left? I emailed Myke a few weeks back but haven't heard anything. thks
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

indy1936 wrote:For those of us who were put on the list for a preorder - when will we be contacted about sizing and finalizing our orders? I scanned through the threads and didn't see any recent updates. Is the zipper pull still being offered in silver/nickel/brass on the left? I emailed Myke a few weeks back but haven't heard anything. thks

I would call them indy1936, you should be able to reach Myke @ 330-653-3743. He should be able to answer any questions you have.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

indy1936 wrote:For those of us who were put on the list for a preorder - when will we be contacted about sizing and finalizing our orders? I scanned through the threads and didn't see any recent updates. Is the zipper pull still being offered in silver/nickel/brass on the left? I emailed Myke a few weeks back but haven't heard anything. thks
If you filled out a form, they should have what they need for sizing. As for the zipper stuff, I think a left zipper would only happen if 100 folks pre-ordered it and I think that's unlikely. I think it's a brass zip with right hand pull and it should hold it together nicely. ;)
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

scot2525 wrote:

I would call them indy1936, you should be able to reach Myke @ 330-653-3743. He should be able to answer any questions you have.
Myke is like a banker.. He does not get to work before 10:00 AM EST and you can call Him on His toll free phone number at 1-800-650-0659 in the USA outside the USA call Him at 330-655-5050
Myke is a Baptist Minister and He and His Wife spend all of their Free time helping others.
If you wish to e-mail Myke please do his e-mail is Myke@uswings.com He will answer any and all e-mails and will do what ever it takes to help the Hobby.
BTW Myke won't talk about a left hand Zipper. That may be the reason you never heard back from Him!

Sarge
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

An excerpt from a pm Sarge sent me late last night.
I still don't have a for sure the ETA for the Striated Lamb ...I know the Fans on the list will be the first.... The last week end this Month I will start shipping the Raiders Legend Cow and I think shortly there after I will start shipping the Striated Lamb.. Looks like a lot going on in the next Month .

Sarge
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

Indydawg wrote:And I was wondering something....the last time I've ever seen a leather like this was on an Avirex A-2 from the early 90s. It was specifically "engineered" to distress and age very quickly...I wonder if this particular lambskin, which shares the same aesthetic properties as that Avirex lambskin, has been treated to the same engineering and will be aging as rapidly...
Well IndyDawg... You could make a good PI...Roz Schott Makes jackets for Jacky Clyman and has since 1973... It is the same Striated Lamb...Great leather and I am sure the Fans will love it.
As a matter of Fact if you look close at some of the Old Indiana Jones Films I ask Roz to make the New Raiders Legend from that Striated Lamb and She did.

Sarge
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

[quoteWell IndyDawg... You could make a good PI...Roz Schott Makes jackets for Jacky Clyman and has since 1973... It is the same Striated Lamb...Great leather and I am sure the Fans will love it.
As a matter of Fact if you look close at some of the Old Indiana Jones Films I ask Roz to make the New Raiders Legend from that Striated Lamb and She did.

Sarge

][/quote]

I thought it looked familiar.. :TOH:

And _...could not have said it better!

Regards!
Donny...er...uhhhh...Indydawg ;)
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

Really looking forward to this jacket.... It manages to capture the raiders vibe and to look pretty smart at the same time... Not an easy job. Wings really have a winner here and at a great price - even the US made offering.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

It's been a long LONG road to get to this point, that's for sure.

I look forward to seeing/hearing the reports of these jackets when they are actually 'in hand'.

Regards! Michaelson
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

I've had a little time to wear it, so here's how it's breaking in.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2102/dsc0315dt.jpg
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/3199/dsc0316dc.jpg

Weston
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

man... when I sometimes look at you I see myself. there something about your eyes and brows.etc...

funny.

the jacket looks ever better now and now Im really torn if I should change to this skin from the bison. If I just new how dark the bison really is.
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

Hey Weston, you're becoming a big tease! Stop taunting us with this lovely jacket. You're not a stripper in your spare time are you?? ;)
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

WHY Can I not see those pics?!?!?!?
:Dietrich:
Travis
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

####. It's just me then....
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Same here. Just comes up with a white page.

You wearing them in a snow storm, Weston? :-k ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Djd, strippers hear the request to "take it off!". I would hear a chorus of "NO, NO, put it back on!"

As to why some of you can see the pics, and some can't, I have no idea. It might be imageshack; I've had some trouble using them today.

Weston
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Saw them on my Blackberry. Don't know why I couldn't on my computer? They look awesome though! :tup: Can't wait to get mine!! \:D/ LOVING that sleeve length. :TOH:

Travis
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

Indiana Holt wrote:man... when I sometimes look at you I see myself. there something about your eyes and brows.etc...

funny.

the jacket looks ever better now and now Im really torn if I should change to this skin from the bison. If I just new how dark the bison really is.
It is a med. rich Brown.. Not your Color Holt!! Stay with the Striated Lamb.. But that is your call 100 %.
What ever it is your Raiders Legend.. But you will have a long swim to exchange it.
Sarge
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

Weston the jacket is looking great! :)
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Mitch LaRue wrote:...there's no doubt in my mind that this jacket would just get better and better looking as it naturally ages and distresses... It's already got a LOT of wonderful character to it, but something tells me there's plenty more to come as it begins to wear & distress over time...
Wow, I'm pleased to see that my hunch seems to (so far) be right on target about how good looking this jacket will continue to get!
Looks fantastic, Weston!
:D :tup:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

My question is this, other than the obvious fact that we should buy US whenever possible, is there a significant difference between the US and import? I have already overpaid for the import by $100 thanks to the Wings discount (Myke has said they will refund that! Thanks guys! :TOH: ) Now I'm torn as to whether I should just pony up another c-note and get the US. I know that the import has facings, but is there $200 worth of quality in the Schott jacket? If so, I will gladly come off of the $100, as I want the best Wings striated lamb they've got!
I'm a school teacher and that disposable income is mighty hard to come by, I just want to make sure I am making the best, most well informed decision possible. :TOH:

Travis
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Mitch LaRue wrote:I have already overpaid for the import by $100 thanks to the Wings discount (Myke has said they will refund that! Thanks guys! :TOH: )
So you've already been contacted and paid for the jacket?

Ian
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

No, I just went ahead and ordered off the site. I was never on the "list" and I just decided to get one about two weeks ago. :TOH:

Travis
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Thought I'd been forgotten then. :TOH:

Ian
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

Only know of one person who has one of these so far, so perhaps too early to judge the quality yet. No reason to expect anything less than excellence.

An imported jacket CAN be JUST as good as a domestic product. Jackets hanging in my own closet prove this to my satisfaction. I've got a number of jackets from Banana Republic, Wilson's, St. John's Bay, etc, and I often wear one and think "THIS leather would make a good Indy jacket". With one single exception, all of these came from various resale shops and thrift stores.

There was some discussion not long ago about some of the imported Hero jackets with odd stripes in the coloring. Such artifacts should be viewed as the exception, rather than the rule. Many more people who purchased them had no complaint.

I will say that the lining in my domestic VIP jacket is the toughest nylon I've ever seen, matching the lining of my Navy issue G1. If it were removed from the jacket, it could be a windbreaker all by itself. That said, other jackets with linings made of "lesser" materials have still lasted for many years, sometimes decades.

My reasons for preferring a domestic product when it is available are not solely related to the quality of the garment.

At a time when our own economy is in such poor health, I'm concerned about helping keep other Americans working. It's not just about what is best for me. It's about what is best for the greater number.

So long as the quality of materials and workmanship of the domestic product is at least as good as the import, I'm willing to pay somewhat more to own the domestic product. I'm willing to save a little bit longer to obtain it.
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

You know anything coming from Schott is almost always going to be top quality.

My thinking is, if the worker in the foreign country can afford to buy the product he's making to be exported to the U.S. at the price I'm about to pay, AND there's no U.S. made equivalent of that product, I'll buy it. That's a little subjective and may take a little research, and that worker may never want to own the product anyway, but it's my rule of thumb.

That said, many imported leather products are very well made, not to mention the fine custom work done abroad that some of our vendors offer.

$.02

IJ
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

Being from the other side of the Atlantic the fact that it's US made is for me only about quality control. I'm willing to pay the extra for it to be made by a manufacturer with a good track record and a name and reputation to protect- I should add that magnolis jackets are made out in the east and they are very good quality- but then magnoli isn't dealing with the mass Market so quality control should not be an issue in the same way as it would for someone the size of Wings
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

Magnoli is exactly who I meant by custom vendors abroad. His stuff is outstanding. I have an Indy jacket from him made of canvas, and it's perfect. No compromises there!

I guess I mean U.S. made or no, I like to see the garment worker to be of age, and getting a living wage.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Just a quick note in order to help avoid confusion for anyone Re-reading (or speed-reading!) through this page:
Ian you credited ME with something that Hollowpond actually wrote.
Ian wrote:
Mitch LaRue wrote:I have already overpaid for the import by $100 thanks to the Wings discount (Myke has said they will refund that! Thanks guys! :TOH: )
So you've already been contacted and paid for the jacket?
Ian
Again, just to prevent any confusion.
:)
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I guess I am saying that I want a jacket that looks exactly like this one (US made)
GREAT looking jacket (took the liberty of lifting those from you Weston :TOH: ). IF the import is going to be less a jacket than this one. Then I am perfectly willing to pony up the extra money to ensure I get a jacket of this quality.

Travis