Best Alden's deal out there?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Best Alden's deal out there?

Post by backstagejack »

So. Now that our dear Smitty has stopp selling Alden's and of course we lost a great discount on COW for it.....where's the best deal for getting a good set of Alden's around here?

I recently recieved a promotion that 1) allows me to afford Alden's and 2) Require's me to wear more professional shoes then tennis shoes.

Which tells me that Alden's would be the perfect choice. ;)

Now, the only questions I have is, where to get a good set for less the 500 dollars. and truthfully, are they comfortable since I will be wearing them 8 hours a day, on my feet..
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Best Alden's deal out there?

Post by Mark Raats »

I know that they're not Alden's but I recently acquired a pair of Magnoli's boots and in all honesty, they are the best boots I have ever owned - and I've owned many..!

Perfect fit, not a single blister and handmade..

Possibly something to consider?

Regards

MARK
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

I've often thought about magnoli's boots.....but they don't come with the steel shank that the alden's come with. other then that I'm sure they're exatly the same as buying some aldens but with the guarantee of the quality of Magnoli products.

But since Alden's are supposedly orthepdic shoes that are designed to help you walk around comfortably all day, I was more inclined towards those.

But if what I get is that a pair of Mag's are just as comfy as some Alden's with or without the shank, I'd gladly go for some Mag's.....better customer service and custom shoes...

I just figure, if I'm going to spend THIS much for a pair of shoes they better 1) last me the rest of my life and 2) be darn comfy
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Schmidty is back in the game.
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

Really?! He's back? Anyone have confirmation on this?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Drop him a PM. He still checks in on a regular basis, as recently as yesterday morning.

He just decided to drop his vendor status here. He's still at the shoe store in Chicago.

Regards! Michaelson
schmidty612
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by schmidty612 »

Hey all! Yes, I am still selling shoes, and as Michaelson said, I've made the decision to give up my Vendor status here at COW. I've gotten to the point in my life where there is just too much else going on, and I am unable to devote as much time as I'd like to COW. I feel that I am unable to provide you the level of service you had come to expect from me. I am still happy to try and get shoes for anyone who is good enough to wait for me to get them (We haven't bought the 405's in my store and have very, very limited stock). Also, like Michaelson said, I DO still check in, but not as frequently as I once did. So please PM me if there is something I can help you with.

Peace,

Schmidty

And Michaelson, thanks for having my back!! :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Always, my friend! :M: :tup:
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Ah, then that probably answers my question as to the best deal on Alden's....if I can still get Schmidty shoes....once I've got a few more paychecks in the bank, I'll drop a PM...thanks!!!!
FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by FloatinJoe »

Schmidty is a standup guy and he helped me out by getting a pair of Aldens for my wedding this past summer. The shoes worked out wonderfully.

Thanks for everything.

Mike
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

Best deal? I don't know. Comfortable? OH YEAH! :tup: :tup:
DoubleOhSeven
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by DoubleOhSeven »

How about the Alden's from J Crew?

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoe ... /18428.jsp

If you don't mind the $450 price tag, they are some good looking boots.

I can definitely vouch for the Alden comfort. I got my 405s from Schmidty a couple years ago, and I love them. Alden makes some fine shoes, and I was able to secure a couple pair of their dress shoes for work from a local store that was going out of business. You definitely get what you pay for, and Alden's stand up to the task. I'm a plain clothes law enforcement officer, and I am required to do the suit and tie thing at work, I am adamant about wearing comfortable shoes that will last. Although some of my staff buy the $50 pairs at the Shoe Dept. or whatever, they have to replace them about every 6 months or so because the heels and cheap leather wear out. I'm still wearing the same shoes for the last two years.
deputychino
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by deputychino »

I tried to order some 403s yesterday got an email from the store telling me the current wait time is 16 weeks for them. Just a heads up to anyone looking to get a pair.
Flyderf
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Flyderf »

I think I've been very lucky with my Alden purchases. I own a pair of 403s, and 405s. The first pair was purchased in the Alden shop in Washington D.C. I walked in the shop, and was fitted by Joe who was very knowledgeable. I think I paid roughly $380. I walked out the door with them on. The second pair I bought by calling the shop in San Fran. They had my exact size that someone else ordered, but didn't want. Again, under $400. No waiting either time. I'd start by calling the only 2 factory shops in the US.
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Since I live very near S.F., that's where I went. Great service and I too walked out the door with my shoes tucked under my arm. It was so long ago, I don't really remember what I paid though.

Mike
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

deputychino wrote:I tried to order some 403s yesterday got an email from the store telling me the current wait time is 16 weeks for them. Just a heads up to anyone looking to get a pair.
True, but it could also be hinged on the size you're trying to order. They may have other sizes in stock for immediate delivery.

Aldens stores are like that.

Regards! Michaelson
indyknox
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by indyknox »

Thinking about biting the bullet and ordering some Aldens. I see they have a new color, Brown Kudu, which I really like, has a more expedition type look than the mahogany or classic, and has a Vibram type sole. However they I wonder just how dark they are in person, anybody own them?
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

I know Jcrew has a killer deal. \:D/ BUT you have to get a credit account, then you save 10% off a first purchase. Copy and paste from Jcrew site.

The J.Crew Credit Card is a great way to pay for all of your purchases online, from the catalog, or in our stores. There's no annual fee, and it's easy to use. Plus, you'll get these additional benefits:
10% savings on your first purchase with the J.Crew Card*

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/alway ... /18428.jsp

Hmm, 405s for $405?

:TOH:
vfxguy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by vfxguy »

Looks like the link to the Alden's on the J. Crew site doesn't work anymore--which is too bad as they are having a 25% off fall sale promotion!
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

vfxguy wrote:Looks like the link to the Alden's on the J. Crew site doesn't work anymore--which is too bad as they are having a 25% off fall sale promotion!

This is a easy one.

Most stores remove all the good stuff berore they have a sale :x .
I bet the aldens will be back on there website as soon as the sale is over ;) .
pilgrim_in_an_unholy_land
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by pilgrim_in_an_unholy_land »

Where in DC is the store? I'm from the area.
FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by FloatinJoe »

It's on F street, over by the Verizon Center... hold on, just found their business card:

921 F Street NW
Washington, DC 20004

Great little shop, one of two owned by the company.

Mike