Shirt sizing question--need your help, guys!

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

KJB
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Shirt sizing question--need your help, guys!

Post by KJB »

Me: "Hello, COW."

COW: "Indiana B-------. I always knew you'd log in here again one day. You're not the man I knew two years ago."

Me: "It's not the years, COW, it's the mileage... Anyway, I came because I need one of the pieces your gearheads collected."

SLAP-TO-THE-FACE!

Dear COW community, it has been almost exactly two years since my last login. The days of Michaelson, knower of things, the early days of Adventurebilt...the days of crazy "wire-in-the-brim" theories! :twisted: My last post was about the catacombs in Paris: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... 26#p439326
Since then I've been all over the place...as far as Siberia, twice! Sorry to have left you and come back now looking for advice. What a dastardly, pragmatic thing to do... :lol:

Well, here's the situation: I'm off for the Congo in just over a week for six months, volunteering as a photojournalist with a humanitarian organization. My beaver AB will be going with me, of course. But! I'd also like to have the proper shirt for such an adventure, and advance planning has never been my forte--"I'm making this up as I go"....as a wise man once said. With a week left, I'm hoping something ordered now could arrive by next Friday.

So, sizing advice would be appreciated: I'm 5'6 150lbs and almost every shirt I own is way too baggy at the waist and stomach. I guess I need an "athletic" fit--chest is 39" and waist is 29!
Now, don't think I haven't at least TRIED to do my reading--I've narrowed down my options to either a WPG or a Todd's, but the sizing issues have me all confused. Obviously length will not be a problem, I'm just trying to get a nice snug-fitting shirt without it being so small that I can tear the buttons out by flexing my arms to the sides... Oh, and being able to button up the neck would be nice, too...

Recommendations? My gut tells me either a medium todds or a small WPG, but who knows now that apparently the WPGs aren't tents... My hope is someone who is similar-sized will be able to tell me what fit, or that someone larger can say, "No, that size fits ME, so probably too big for you".

In other news, it is officially awesome that there is a "Hide under the Plymouth" smiley.... Michaelson would be proud ;) I hope he's still around, knowing...things.
KJB
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: Shirt sizing question--need your help, guys!

Post by KJB »

Oh, I forgot to add one thing---if anyone has ordered either of these shirts, I'd be interested in how long it took for them to arrive. I hear the WPG shirt has to come from the UAE?!?
Jedirun
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jedirun »

KJB wrote:Oh, I forgot to add one thing---if anyone has ordered either of these shirts, I'd be interested in how long it took for them to arrive. I hear the WPG shirt has to come from the UAE?!?
I am not sure about sizing, since I am still waiting for my WPG shirt to arrive. I have the same waist and chest measurements as you, but I am 6' tall. I went with a small long. I took the measurements off the site and compared them to one of my dress shirts that fits me well.

As far as shipping goes, it took a couple of days to ship and is still in transit from UAE so it may not be the best choice for a trip next week. On the other hand my Todd's boots shipped the day after I ordered them (I ordered at 10:00 at night) and got to me the next day with standard shipping. So I would figure out their sizes and order one of those. I may even order one for myself. I have been so impressed with the boots.
Jedirun
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jedirun »

Update:I just got my WPG shirt, which is really nice and fits perfectly. From the time of payment to my doorstep was 5 business days. That was including them telling me that it was going to be delayed by a couple of days due to high volume. When I made my first post it had just left the UAE and it already made it to San Diego. So that may mean that I was wrong to say that it couldn't get here in time for you. It actually shipped Thursday and got here on Monday.

In terms of sizing, a small should fit you perfectly. My chest is 1 inch bigger than yours and my waist is the same size.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Hey KJB, Tundrarider got one of the newer WPG shirts and started a thread comparing it to others. Apparently the new design is slimmer than the previous incarnations.

I hope this helps out a little.

:TOH:
-TS

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48395
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Golly! You make me sound like I'm dead or something! :shock:

:lol:

Yep, still here...everyday, am still at the same stand.....knowing....things. ;)

Good to see you again!!!

:M: :tup:

Regard !Michaelson
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Michaelson wrote:Golly! You write like I'm dead or something! :shock:

:lol:

Regard !Michaelson
Last time he must have seen you before your morning cup 'o joe!!! :shock:

Must've been when the defibrillator/percolator 2000 was on the fritz... back in aught eight, I think? :-k :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

You gotta point there, TS! :-k

:[

Regard! Michaelson
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Michaelson, I'd never had much need of a Profile Signature before today... but in your honor, I'm thinking I might like to spend the next few days with one that says:

"I'm just glad to STILL be livin' in The Age of Michaelson"

(after that I'll get rid of it, though... I don't want folks to think you're on your death bed or anything!)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:lol: :TOH:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Michaelson doesn't live B.C. or A.D., but A.C.—After Coffee.
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

The material on the Todd's shirt would be great for warm weather. I'm very happy with mine.

My advice is to focus on shoulder and chest fit (and sleeve length), and a little bunching in at the waist is ok.

According to Noel Howard, that was part of the look (pants too).
KJB
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by KJB »

Thanks everyone for the comments.

jedirun, out of curiosity, how is the length on you? I'm wondering if a "small long" will be waaay too long for me (recall I'm a good 6" shorter than you!)

I appreciate the input, and hopefully it will help someone else in the future get sized correctly. As for me, well they're out of smalls anyway, and it'd never get here on time at this point. But that's quite okay with me...I didn't sign up to go to Africa because I'd get to wear a cool shirt ;) Bigger problems developed after I posted here that required my attention, namely...my camera (as in, the one I took a loan out for and was planning on using these next 6 months!!!) decided to break last Friday! So the shirt is small beans...I had to get that camera fixed and the repair centers are all over a thousand miles from me. I got it sorted out, after much hassling...

The trip should produce some interesting photography. I'll post a link to the blog for it in the scrapbooks section. No shirt, but at least there'll be an AB hat wandering the Central African Republic!

Take care everyone.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Safe Travels, KJB!
KJB
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by KJB »

Hey, you know what a cautious fellow I am ;) :lol:
Jedirun
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jedirun »

KJB wrote:Thanks everyone for the comments.

jedirun, out of curiosity, how is the length on you? I'm wondering if a "small long" will be waaay too long for me (recall I'm a good 6" shorter than you!)

I appreciate the input, and hopefully it will help someone else in the future get sized correctly. As for me, well they're out of smalls anyway, and it'd never get here on time at this point. But that's quite okay with me...I didn't sign up to go to Africa because I'd get to wear a cool shirt ;) Bigger problems developed after I posted here that required my attention, namely...my camera (as in, the one I took a loan out for and was planning on using these next 6 months!!!) decided to break last Friday! So the shirt is small beans...I had to get that camera fixed and the repair centers are all over a thousand miles from me. I got it sorted out, after much hassling...

The trip should produce some interesting photography. I'll post a link to the blog for it in the scrapbooks section. No shirt, but at least there'll be an AB hat wandering the Central African Republic!

Take care everyone.
The length on the small long is perfect for me, and I have long arms for my height. I think a regular small would probably work well for you.
Jedirun
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jedirun »

After washing and drying the shirt I am not sure that a small is the most screen accurate for my size. (40" chest and 29" waist). It is about what I would wear if I was wearing a dress shirt, but I think the shirt in the movie did not fit Harrison Ford quite as tightly as this does me. I would probably be better off with a medium.