Post by Indydawg »

Holt's Hero is a large.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Show us your US Wings Antique COW Hero jackets

Post by JC1972 »

FLATHEAD wrote:
As stated before, if you were out shopping for a leather jacket, and you saw that one hanging in a store,
and you pulled it down, and it looked like this, and right next to it was another one, without any marks
or flaws, which would you buy? Would you say to yourself, I want the one that has the white stuff on it, and
that has two different colors of leather? Or would you say, I want the nice one with no flaws and its
all the same color?

Be honest with yourself. You have to live with your purchase. If you don't like it, its going to be a
very expensive hanger orniment in your closet.

There are MANY more Wings jackets available that do NOT have these flaws. Send it back and
get Sarge to send you a good one.

Flathead
I heard from Myke today who Sarge told him to have a call tag sent out for a replacement. So this will be going back. I'll still keep a XL long though. Its very nice leather and hate to send it back (yes I'd be out of it for 2 weeks but what's that compared to getting the jacket the right way? Besides not like I'd get to wear it much down here in FL even though its been "cooler") but Myke did say that Sarge sent the pics to the production team. So I imagine they saw something that shouldn't have passed QC. My guess anyway so that's good that they're not happy with subpar quality.
FLATHEAD
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by FLATHEAD »

I heard from Myke today who Sarge told him to have a call tag sent out for a replacement. So this will be going back. I'll still keep a XL long though. Its very nice leather and hate to send it back (yes I'd be out of it for 2 weeks but what's that compared to getting the jacket the right way? Besides not like I'd get to wear it much down here in FL even though its been "cooler") but Myke did say that Sarge sent the pics to the production team. So I imagine they saw something that shouldn't have passed QC. My guess anyway so that's good that they're not happy with subpar quality.

You will be happier with a better one. You made the right choice.

In the end, its the customers that make or break a vendor. If a vendor puts out the effort to make
the cutomers happy, they get more business. If not, they loose business.

Wings QC department has a history of being somewhat lax in their efforts to catch mistakes and flaws
in their products. A simple search of this site will show this.

The average customer would probably not send back this jacket, as they would not know the
difference. And vendors count on a certain amount of this so they can sell off their not-so-perfect
items, versus having a "seconds" sale. There is always someone out there who will accept a flawed
item and just live with it, instead of standing up for themselves and demanding better.

But we have a tight community here, and we know what a great jacket looks like, and one that
should have never been let out the door. Due to everyone posting pictures of their items, we
know and demand the best or no sale.

Its this very thing that makes this site so great! We know what vendors are capable of, and
by us demanding it, they either get better and make more money, or tell us to go pound sand,
accept what they have, and they end up loosing money.

You paid for a nice jacket, and you will get one, and enjoy it, instead of hating it, and having
it take up closet space, never to be worn.

Flathead
damieneo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by damieneo »

damieneo wrote:It's not that important about the web belt promotion. I am thinking of the sizing after having read on a number of threads here about how the sizes varies. Based on my measurements, Sarge said a Size Small will fit me well. On the other hand, IndyDawg seems to have two different sizing of the same Jacket - one is a CowHide size M, the other is NZ Lambskin Size Small. Both measured the same. I wish I seen his ad earlier as his jackets measurements are the exact size which fits me well. Would have taken both ;)

IndyDawg's Measurements
Chest-21" from armpit to armpit
Shoulders-19" from shoulder seam to shoulder seam
Sleeve-24.5" from shoulder seam to cuff end

My requirements taken off on a jacket that fits me well.
Shoulder to shoulder: 18 1/2 inch
Armpit to armpit: 21 inch
Shoulder seam to cuff: 25 inch
Length of jacket: 25 inch

My height: 5 feet 8 inches, weight: 138 lbs (63kg). I'm Asian, with a
slender built.
Well, after an anxious wait of one week, my jacket finally arrived. I was worried about the fit because mine's an international order and there's no return or exchanges. Anyway, here's the pics:

Seems to fit snugly. The measurements are the same as given above from IndyDawg's size Small. I am hoping that if this is a full fit size small, perhaps the medium regular cut will be similar. I am already thinking of the Legend Jacket since it is a little trimmer and shorter in length. Too bad I missed IndyDwag's auction on the Lamb Hero Jacket.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

wow like the look on that skin. it looks different from the other ones I have seen..

but...this is the second time I see this.....

could you please measure that gap in the back between the backpanel and shoulder seam? it looks bigger then what it needs to be.
damieneo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by damieneo »

Indiana Holt wrote:wow like the look on that skin. it looks different from the other ones I have seen..

but...this is the second time I see this.....

could you please measure that gap in the back between the backpanel and shoulder seam? it looks bigger then what it needs to be.
The gap from the back panel to the shoulder sleeve, right at the shoulder yoke measures about 1" 7/8.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

thanks, mine meausures just under 1''. I would send it back. the gap is not suppose to be that big. its te second jacket I have seen with that big gap. makes the backpanel look very narrow. and it makes the action back/ pleats non functional because they sit to far back on the sides.

but if you dont care so much about it then Im very happy for your new jacket :tup:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

He can't, because it's an international order. He either has to keep it or sell it. Sadly, I agree, that gap is really big. The rest of the jacket looks good, though! I wish mine had fit me that well!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, the good point is, though the gap isn't the dreaded 'screen accurate' measurement per se, they still don't affect the jacket function.

All in all, if those gaps don't bother you, the jacket looks VERY good on you as is! I think you did just fine! :clap:

Enjoy it! It will only look better with regular wear and use as it form fits to YOUR body shape.

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Damieneo-

I hate you missed my jackets, too, man...we just couldn't get that shipping thing figured out, could we? :cry:

That said, I have to say I also like the look of that leather a LOT. It's nowhere NEAR as solidly dark brown as mine was-it already has a good bit more color character. I also think the fit is VERY good.

The back panel gap, like Michaelson says, is not really all THAT big a deal. It's not "supposed" to be that big...Holt is right...but, I wouldn't let that bother me too much. It would have been the same if you'd have gotten mine.

Hopefully you're happy with it! Wish we'd have worked out the issues with mine in time for you to get one of them, but...at least you ended up with one anyway! :whip:

Wear it well!
Regards!
Indydawg
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I agree with my friends above. wear it and enjoy it. its a very nice jacket.

congrats :TOH:
damieneo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by damieneo »

Thanks my friends for the compliments. :D

Well, I would keep it, I suppose, even though the gap does seem a bit wider. But anyway, yea, I've been wearing it around and it has started to fit in. It really looks much richer than the pictures show. The aged look of the leather is really nice.

The fun part is wearing this jacket when I went out yesterday. The stares and appreciative comments I received really made me feel great. From where I am, not everyone knows about Indy's jacket being available, so when I mentioned that it's the Indy jacket...LOL...should have seen the jaws dropping. All I need next is the fedora.

As it is, I am already thinking of the Legend jacket... :-k

Indydawg-

Yes, it's too bad we didn't get that part right. I would think the Lamb will be fantastic for me :D
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

I think you really would have liked the NewZealand lamb, too...

But, if you're already thinking the Legend, you might go with the striated Lamb in that one...from Weston's pictures, it looks REALLY cool!

Regards!
Indydawg
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

Don't worry about the gap width. Most of the other "specifications" of Indy-type jackets, (including but not limited to features such as pocket placement and size, collar width, overall length, trim vs full cut, storm flap/collar connection, yoke width) are all over the map.
They vary from one movie to the next, and sometimes they vary within the same movie, depending on which scenes you look at.
The bottom line is:
There is no single "correct" specification for an Indy jacket. Ford wore numerous different jackets each made to different designs.

Your jacket looks great, and fits you very well. Enjoy it.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Can't sum it up much better than that!
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

Post by IndianaBogart »

Does any body know the measurements of the X-Small jacket?
I've called a couple of times, and e-mailed USW but haven't heard anything back.
Just wondering if any of you guys had the size chart. :-k

-Bogart
damieneo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by damieneo »

IndianaBogart wrote:Does any body know the measurements of the X-Small jacket?
I've called a couple of times, and e-mailed USW but haven't heard anything back.

-Bogart
I think US Wings may be in a situation where they may not be able to provide measurements for the Indy jackets, as Weston indicated in his Striated Lamb thread. I did email Sarge my measurements taken off a jacket that fits me well and I asked him to pick a size that will fit me, which he did.
PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by PsychicsAndSwords »

Question for anyone who's had one for a while and has developed some sleeve wrinkling (these ones break in super-fast, right?) - how much do the sleeves wrinkle, and do they shrink much?
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBogart »

damieneo wrote:

-Bogart
I think US Wings may be in a situation where they may not be able to provide measurements for the Indy jackets, as Weston indicated in his Striated Lamb thread. I did email Sarge my measurements taken off a jacket that fits me well and I asked him to pick a size that will fit me, which he did.
Maybe, but I e-mailed them last fall because I was thinking about getting a Wings jacket (before the antique lamb hero came out) and they sent me a size chart for the size I requested. The small was too big, by the way, so that's why I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the X-Small. :-k
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

PsychicsAndSwords wrote:Question for anyone who's had one for a while and has developed some sleeve wrinkling (these ones break in super-fast, right?) - how much do the sleeves wrinkle, and do they shrink much?
The AC jackets do break in fast and the sleeves wrinkle very nicely without any "extra help". I have noticed some sleeve shrinkage with mine and I will try to get up some pictures this weekend.
pilgrim_in_an_unholy_land
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by pilgrim_in_an_unholy_land »

is this leather naked in that it's "washed" like the wested washed goat? Will it pick up scratches and such as easy as that offering?
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

-Bogart
Here are the measurements I received when shopping last December. These apply to the Signature Series, not sure if the Hero is the same.
XS Chest = 21, Sleeve = 33.75 from center, Shoulder Width = 18.25, Back Length = 27.25

Hope this helps
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

damieneo wrote:
damieneo wrote:It's not that important about the web belt promotion. I am thinking of the sizing after having read on a number of threads here about how the sizes varies. Based on my measurements, Sarge said a Size Small will fit me well. On the other hand, IndyDawg seems to have two different sizing of the same Jacket - one is a CowHide size M, the other is NZ Lambskin Size Small. Both measured the same. I wish I seen his ad earlier as his jackets measurements are the exact size which fits me well. Would have taken both ;)

IndyDawg's Measurements
Chest-21" from armpit to armpit
Shoulders-19" from shoulder seam to shoulder seam
Sleeve-24.5" from shoulder seam to cuff end

My requirements taken off on a jacket that fits me well.
Shoulder to shoulder: 18 1/2 inch
Armpit to armpit: 21 inch
Shoulder seam to cuff: 25 inch
Length of jacket: 25 inch

My height: 5 feet 8 inches, weight: 138 lbs (63kg). I'm Asian, with a
slender built.
Well, after an anxious wait of one week, my jacket finally arrived. I was worried about the fit because mine's an international order and there's no return or exchanges. Anyway, here's the pics:

Seems to fit snugly. The measurements are the same as given above from IndyDawg's size Small. I am hoping that if this is a full fit size small, perhaps the medium regular cut will be similar. I am already thinking of the Legend Jacket since it is a little trimmer and shorter in length. Too bad I missed IndyDwag's auction on the Lamb Hero Jacket.
Wow,I love this jacket! Congrats! :clap:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

pilgrim_in_an_unholy_land wrote:is this leather naked in that it's "washed" like the wested washed goat? Will it pick up scratches and such as easy as that offering?
yes, it will.
singsingjohnny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by singsingjohnny »

Wow Damieneo and Holt, both your jackets look (and fit!) great.

Congrats!

:TOH:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

okay, Im taking down my previous pictures. got some new ones...

Like I said before, its pretty much SA to LC/CS.. its in lack of some details to make it more SA yes.. but for a real life jacket and still looking pretty SA to LC/CS its a good jacket to get.

flash

ImageImage

ImageImage

without flash
ImageImage
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

Holt,
this jacket is really perfect on you! I have to say, I consider this jacket quite SA to LC/CS, probably some detail will miss, but it has that right 'vibe'! I think this could be the perfect winter Indy gear, and actually we could do some shot with it in the Mystery of the Blues gear! ;) I'll try with mine as soon I could take some shot.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Great pictures Holt! I was sure that once the Legend jacket arrived, I'd quit wearing the Hero. Not so! It really is an excellent LC/CS jacket, and I love the way they fit. Way to show that baby off!

Weston
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Steerpike, exactly my feelings bud ;) it has the 'vibe'

thanks wes!
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Nail me to the cross, but is it a little short in the back or does it look that way because of the jumper underneath? :-k

'Nail 'em up!!!'

Ian
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBogart »

ron521 wrote:

-Bogart
Here are the measurements I received when shopping last December. These apply to the Signature Series, not sure if the Hero is the same.
XS Chest = 21, Sleeve = 33.75 from center, Shoulder Width = 18.25, Back Length = 27.25

Hope this helps

Hmm....this seems kind of long for an extra small compared to what I've seen other people say about the lengths of this jacket in larger sizes. :-k
When I was looking at a small last fall it was only 27" (still too long for me though).
The rest of the measurements look like they could work though....
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Indiana Holt wrote:okay, Im taking down my previous pictures. got some new ones...

Like I said before, its pretty much SA to LC/CS.. its in lack of some details to make it more SA yes.. but for a real life jacket and still looking pretty SA to LC/CS its a good jacket to get.

flash

ImageImage

ImageImage

without flash
ImageImage

Holt- looks like you actually got some length on those straps. The shortness of the straps on mine are my only complaint. Mine being a 'long' that was made somewhere other than the regulars may be a reason-?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Ian wrote:Nail me to the cross, but is it a little short in the back or does it look that way because of the jumper underneath? :-k

'Nail 'em up!!!'

Ian
the back is 26'' long. perfect! the original LC jacket was at 26''...

there is an illusion there, the jumper is just very,very long.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Kokopelli,

the straps are 5'' long.
damieneo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by damieneo »

IndianaBogart wrote:
ron521 wrote:

-Bogart

Hope this helps

Hmm....this seems kind of long for an extra small compared to what I've seen other people say about the lengths of this jacket in larger sizes. :-k
When I was looking at a small last fall it was only 27" (still too long for me though).
The rest of the measurements look like they could work though....
If its of any help, mine is small, but I think it might have shrunk a little bit after days of wearing it. Chest is 21, Shoulder from seam to seam 18 2/8. Length 26 and sleeve from seam to cuff 23.5. The sleeve definitely has shrunk up a bit.
PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Well, after a lot of waffling and financial issues and, well, all kinds of considerations, I finally ordered one and received it today. After reading up on this jacket and seeing so many pictures, I have to say, wow. Not at all what I expected - in a good way! This leather is amazing. It's really not something that you can really describe, or accurately capture in a photo, it's really just something you have to experience in person.

I was worried, to be honest, about a lot of potential problems - the leather being really light (color or thickness), the panels being mismatched, the sleeves being too short (I have super-long arms, apparently) or the back too long (it's a large/long, in case you're wondering). Well, the sleeves are still a smidge short for my taste, and the body a little roomier than I'd prefer, but other than that? This is just one awesome jacket (especially considering the price!) There's definite variance in the different panels of leather, but it's pretty subtle, and you really have to be looking at it up close to notice. From a few feet away? It just really looks like a jacket with some experience.

Anyway, since I don't want to see the "worthless" smiley, here's a quick picture of a slightly different pose. I'll try to get some outdoor shots next week.

steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

I still didn't find the time to do a worth photo set for my AC Hero, but here's a rough shot to show you all: this is a jacket I dreamed a lot of time, just because I was shure it would have all the specifics I needed: I do own other jackets, but no one has the 'fight' loose fit I was searching for, also the leather is terrific, has a bit of aging taht makes it appear truly beautiful.
To me, it is the perfect winter jacket, ready for the clothes layering. I'm totally content with this great piece of gear, and happy with US Wing customer care and service!

Oh, and as we said in this thread, it has the real Last Crusade VIBE!

Steerpike :TOH:
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Looks perfect!

Very nice!
:TOH:
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBogart »

I'm a little confused here. I've seen where several people have posted that their smalls have a back length of about 26" or a little less, but I just got an e-mail from USW saying that the XS had a back length of 27". Way too long for an Indy jacket, IMO, and definitely too long for me to wear. So, I'm trying to figure out why a small would be shorter than an XS. Any ideas? :-k
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Show us your US Wings Antique COW Hero jackets

Post by djd »

Looks great steerpike! Nice leather
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

While the "design length is 27 1/4", my VIP has a back length of 26 3/4", and many other owners will confirm that theirs are shorter.
Perhaps it is cut longer with the expectation that the leather will shrink slightly? I really don't know.
damieneo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by damieneo »

Mine is a small. Initially it was rather large for me, and I had a sinking feeling that I gotten a size too large but after a couple of weeks wearing it daily, my Hero AC seems to have shrunk to my body frame, fitting snugly. The measurements I gave were the "shrunken" size. :)
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBogart »

If the "design length" is 27" but it is actually shorter than it may work. :-k
Do any of you guys know what Wings' return policy is like, should I decide to try one of these?
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

Perhaps the collar stand accounts for the discrepency. USWings collar stands are over an inch in width, it they include that in the back measurement..... Just a wild guess.
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

The back length of my size small jacket measures 25 3/4" from the bottom of the collar stand and 26 7/8" from the top of the collar stand.

I have had the jacket for 4 months now but it has only been worn for the last month. I have not done any artificial distressing to the jacket or applied any type of leather treatment. It has been caught in two rainshowers and allowed to completely dry while wearing. The jacket fits like a glove now. I tried to take photos similar to the original three.

Last edited by scot2525 on Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

:shock:
Wowee!

A little passage of time (and those couple of rainshowers) has done nothing except make that jacket look better and BETTER on you, scot2525!
Congratulations on a jacket that looks twice as perfect on you as it did before...
That jacket has TRULY taken on a distintive look that makes it YOURS!
:D
VERY cool looking, indeed!
:tup:
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Yeah, what Mitch said!

Weston
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

Weston wrote:Yeah, what Mitch said!

Weston
WOW.. I think I should have a price increase!! That jacket looks awsome ! I sent Weston a e-Mail from Roz Schott the other day and She wanted to know Just where did I get that leather...
"She also said in all her years in the Leather business She has never seen anything so Beautiful"
The leather is all hand aged and rubed with oil in the leather and then take chains to the leather after drum dying and then leaving the leather in the sun for seven days!

Sarge
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Very nice, Scot! Keep wearin' it and enjoyin' it!

Anything less would be...just wrong!

Regards!
Indydawg
PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

You know, I have to say: I wasn't a huge fan of the "cut" of this jacket - particularly the extra roominess in the shoulders and upper sleeves - it just doesn't look quite right to me. But having worn it out and about a few times, and on a couple of hikes? I am absolutely, madly in love with how it feels. This is, hands down, one of the most comfortable jackets I've ever worn. Leather or otherwise. And for a leather jacket to feel that way when brand new, right out of the box? Amazing!

Between the comfort, toughness, and freedom of movement, I have to say: this is exactly how I've always thought an adventure jacket should feel.