USW Striated Lamb Legend, US Made

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

USW Striated Lamb Legend, US Made

Post by Weston »

Here are a few pics of the Legend jacket is striated lamb, made by Schott. This is the same jacket that was posted on here on another thread.

The striations are not as severe as the ones on the Hero jacket featured on Wings site, which I am glad to see. I have been asked not to pass along any measurements, but can share pictures and answer any other questions. I will say this leather is very substantial! I would not have believed it was lamb, it is actually thicker and heavier than the naked cowhide.

Weston
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: USW Striated Lamb Legend, US Made

Post by Bemo »

Looks great on you Weston. No facings and the collar stand is short. Not sure yet about the pockets, looks a little off to me but it's late and I'm tired.

Great looking jacket nonetheless.
sharkboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sharkboy »

It looks amazing to me. this was the leather I have been waiting to see. Looks very thick. Looks as though it will show alot of creases in the sleeves and body very quickly.

does it feel heavy?

SB
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Wow! I like this leather. I'm so exited for this one!
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

It is heavy, especially if you are expecting lambskin to be lightweight. I told Sarge I was going to call it "Bionic Lamb"! It is a very comfortable weight, and feels like you've got a bit of protection around you. It feels like it would keep the road rash off if you ditched your motorcyle!

I've noticed that the sleeves are slimmer at the upper arms than the overseas jacket. The pockets are not quite as scalloped as the overseas jacket either. The lining is also very soft, not the crisp lining the offshore model comes with.

Weston
sharkboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sharkboy »

Must.....HAVE.......Striated.............LAMB...............
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

That jacket looks great, three points are of special interest:

1) that lamb does not HAVE to be thin, delicate leather, although it is often tanned so as to turn out that way.
"substantial" is a quality I always appreciate in a leather jacket.

2) different material used for the lining from the overseas jackets...is it also different from the nylon used in the Signature Series?

3) different tailoring on the sleeves and pockets from the overseas jackets

I might have to go collect some aluminum cans to finance one of these
PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by PsychicsAndSwords »

Hmm, ordinarily I can't stand the shine on new leather jackets, but for some reason it looks really good on this leather.

So what's up with the secrecy on the measurements? I understand not wanting to give away all the measurement details for bootlegging fears, but come on. I ultimately ended up canceling my order because they ignored multiple requests for sleeve length measurements (which is really not something that should be a secret, IMO)
soulman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by soulman »

Weston, that is one great looking jacket. I can't wait to see mine in HH.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

PsychicsAndSwords wrote:
So what's up with the secrecy on the measurements? )

I have NO idea.....

I was there from the very begining and they are not even shared with me... even though I know them... :-s
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

That is a quality jacket! No doubt about it. :clap:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Everyone has different tastes... and many people look for varyious different aspects of a jacket to "stand out" or simply "work" for them to like a certain jacket...
to each his (or her) own, of course...
but I'll give credit where I think it's due:
I think I can safely say that for what I look for in a Raiders Jacket, THIS is the finest U.S. Wings Raiders Jacket (of any of their various selections) that I've ever seen.
:) :tup:

And Weston, you wear it VERY well, sir.
:TOH:
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

I like the leather a lot. Not that happy about the gaps on the back panel though
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

the gaps are screen accurate
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Wow, that's one sweet looking jacket. Too bad I'll be only able to afford the import version, if that. :oops:
PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Mitch LaRue wrote:I think I can safely say that for what I look for in a Raiders Jacket, THIS is the finest U.S. Wings Raiders Jacket (of any of their various selections) that I've ever seen.
I know what you mean. I'm not a huge stickler for the accuracy of little details, but as far as look, attitude, and general "vibe", this jacket in this leather really screams "Raiders" at me more than any I've seen. It's a shame they're being so dang secretive about the fxxxgxn' sleeve length though, 'cause if I knew they were long enough, I'd be jumping to reinstate my order. :?
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Weston, would you say the lining of the jacket is true to what we see in the photos?
Is it as "reddish" as it looks or are the photos sorta bringing out the red a bit more than it actually looks?
Just curious.

Thanks for any info you can give on this question.
:)
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

PsychicsAndSwords wrote:
Mitch LaRue wrote:I think I can safely say that for what I look for in a Raiders Jacket, THIS is the finest U.S. Wings Raiders Jacket (of any of their various selections) that I've ever seen.
I know what you mean. I'm not a huge stickler for the accuracy of little details, but as far as look, attitude, and general "vibe", this jacket in this leather really screams "Raiders" at me more than any I've seen. It's a shame they're being so dang secretive about the fxxxgxn' sleeve length though, 'cause if I knew they were long enough, I'd be jumping to reinstate my order. :?
Thank you Mitch! Yes, the lining does have a reddish tint to it, though not quite as much as the photos bring out. I had to play with the contrast a bit because the shine on the jacket was washing out the grain, and that's what I wanted you to see.

As to the specs, I asked Sarge again this morning, and this was the response:

The Jacket is made from a thick Striated Lamb and made by Roz Schott NYC a Business partner of US Wings Inc. and is made from the Original Pattern.

I am sorry But the Attorneys for US Wings Inc. will not release the pattern specs and or Measurements at this time!

Thank you for understanding!

I just want you to understand why I am not sharing the specs. I'm not holding out on you guys, but Wings has their own reasons for this and I am not about to push them on it.

I can share my own specs, for what that's worth. I am 6' tall, 170 lbs, and am at 32" in the waist. I wear a 16 34/35 shirt. This jacket is a size L, and has plenty of sleeve length for me as youu can tell in the pics. Anyone close to my size will find this jacket fits like a glove! I hope that helps at least a little bit.

Weston
PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Weston wrote:
PsychicsAndSwords wrote:
Thank you Mitch! Yes, the lining does have a reddish tint to it, though not quite as much as the photos bring out. I had to play with the contrast a bit because the shine on the jacket was washing out the grain, and that's what I wanted you to see.

As to the specs, I asked Sarge again this morning, and this was the response:

The Jacket is made from a thick Striated Lamb and made by Roz Schott NYC a Business partner of US Wings Inc. and is made from the Original Pattern.

I am sorry But the Attorneys for US Wings Inc. will not release the pattern specs and or Measurements at this time!

Thank you for understanding!

I just want you to understand why I am not sharing the specs. I'm not holding out on you guys, but Wings has their own reasons for this and I am not about to push them on it.

I can share my own specs, for what that's worth. I am 6' tall, 170 lbs, and am at 32" in the waist. I wear a 16 34/35 shirt. This jacket is a size L, and has plenty of sleeve length for me as youu can tell in the pics. Anyone close to my size will find this jacket fits like a glove! I hope that helps at least a little bit.

Weston
Oh, I completely understand about them asking you not to share, I just think they should at least release some basic, general sizing info. But that's just me.

Anyway, you've had large size jackets from their other patterns, yes? Are the sleeves longer on the Legend compared to the others?

Also, is there any sort of distressing done on that? The edges and seams around the pockets and sleeves look lighter, but it's kind of hard to tell if that's flash/glare...
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Awesome _! Then the guys will know I'm not exaggerating about the weight and thickness of this leather.

PsychicsAndSwords, the Legend Jacket does have longer sleeves than their other Indy jackets. That, and the cut of the jacket, with the fully functional action back with the high yoke keep the sleeves from riding up when you move or reach for things. There is no distressing on this jacket; the camera flash is picking up some shine around the seams.

Ron521, I don't know what kind of lining they are using in the signature series these days. Mine is an older version, with an almost tan colored lining with the texture of cotton.

JC1972, if you do go for an import, I don't think you will be disappointed; it has alot going for it. I actually like the pocket shape better on the import to be honest.

Weston
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

I think I can safely say that for what I look for in a Raiders Jacket, THIS is the finest U.S. Wings Raiders Jacket (of any of their various selections) that I've ever seen.

And Weston, you wear it VERY well, sir.
I agree, Mitch...from what I can see in the pics, it is certainly the best Wings jacket I've ever seen...

Nice work!
sharkboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sharkboy »

Weston,

This Large appears bigger, roomier than the AC you had pics of last month. Is that due to sizing or just the thickness of the leather?

SB
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

That's got to be it. If anything, the fit is slimmer.

Weston
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

These pics show it off a LOT better than the previously submitted pics. Thanks for sharing. Looking VERY nice.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

So it looks like there will be an antique cow, USA-Schott made jacket, but the Horse hide version will only be an imported jacket, if I read the web site correctly.
soulman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by soulman »

I believed that the COW jackets were all to be made in the U.S. Regardless of leather type.
sharkboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sharkboy »

Weston,

Any chance for an extended photo album as you had done with the AC version a few weeks ago? [-o< [-o<

SB
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

I will say that is one nice jacket! Has the Raiders look to it as far as the leather goes. I am not a fan of the pocket flaps, I know they are suppost to be scalloped, but not that much. Suppost to have a more rounded edge near the button, looks more like the back of the pants than the pocket flaps on the jacket, but hey this is just IMO. Looks like they got the collar midway between the storm flap. Only the zip and the pocket flaps are keeping me away from this jacket. I am sure those who do get one will be pleased, looks great, just not for me unless the zip is address and the pocket flaps look different.

IndianaChris
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Looks good Weston. At the cuffs, it appears that they are extra thick. It might just be the angle, but can you address this more?
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

I have to disagree, Chris...I think the scalloping on the pockets is very good-looking! I'm a huge fan of that look on vintage A-2 patterns like the Dubow and Star Sportswear...VERY cool stuff! I think they give this jacket a very neat look. I like what appears to be the more visible stitching, too. My favorite jacket in my closet is an Aero 15-142 wartime contract they called the "Real Deal" because they made them using the "left over bits" of leather just like they would have made the jackets for the airmen during the war....not the "officers'" jacket, if you know what I mean. Anyway, mine's got olive stitching; which, against the seal brown horsehide and the burgundy colored knit looks REALLY cool.

So...again...I gotta say, Weston...this is a very nice looking jacket!

Congratulations, man! Wear it well and enjoy it!
Regards.
Indydawg
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Thank you Indydawg!

Sharkboy, I'll try to get an album up soon. I had hoped to get some more pictures taken today, and it might still happen. Most of the other pics I have are just variations of what I've posted.

Cowboy, I think its just the angle of the picture that makes the cuffs look really thick. The leather is very thick, as I've said before, but once the creases at the cuffs have set after some wear, I don't think you'll notice anything out of the ordinary there.

The stitching on this jacket is just flawless. They are set deeply into the leather. I'm trying to come up with a way to explain how well made it is, how rich the leather is, how soft and luxurious the lining is, and how well it fits. It's like, I walked up to it to put in on this morning and it looked at me and said "Seriously, with that shirt? Have a cup of coffee, reconsider, come back to your senses and try again later!". It's very refined, knows it, and comes with a bit an attitude. ;)

Weston
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

That's a very nice looking jacket Weston! The leather looks thick. Awesome jacket! :)
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

Dang that's a nice looking jacket. But, it looks heavy. How much heavier is it compared to the Antique Cowhide? I think the only thing I don't like about it is that it looks to refined. It looks to good to be an "adventure jacket".
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Band Director Jones wrote:Dang that's a nice looking jacket. But, it looks heavy. How much heavier is it compared to the Antique Cowhide? I think the only thing I don't like about it is that it looks to refined. It looks to good to be an "adventure jacket".
I really don't know how much heavier it is than the antique cowhide. I apologize but I really don't have a method for way to weigh it right now. It's just not what we are used to from lambskin jackets.

It's funny, what you said about it being too refined for an adventure jacket, similar to my last comment. I know this jacket is built for serious use, and absolutely will hold up as an adventure jacket and look even cooler for it. But, right now, I don't want to get it dirty. Anyone who's ever read my posts in the jacket section will know how unusual that is!

Weston
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

t's like, I walked up to it to put in on this morning and it looked at me and said "Seriously, with that shirt? Have a cup of coffee, reconsider, come back to your senses and try again later!". It's very refined, knows it, and comes with a bit an attitude.
:lol:

I like that! I wish my jackets would talk to me that way... :[

Oh, and BDJ-I think that it just "looks" heavy....I believe Weston said the leather was thicker and, due to that, more substantial feeling than what we've seen recently....but I don't think it looks "heavy...." Just solidly built.

And, again...from what I can see in the pictures, it honestly looks like the best made Wings jacket I've seen in a while...

Regards!
Indydawg
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

:o :o

Wow! I REALLY like this jacket. It pulls off the "broken in" look right off the bat. This is definitely at the top of my list for a new leather jacket. :notworthy: :tup: :)
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

Indiana Holt wrote:the gaps are screen accurate
I just took a ton of screen captures on this and watched the jacket frame by frame in areas where the jacket is worn and I cannot find a gap. I know screen captures to people are meaningless and don't mean @#$% to some people. I see a storm flap, but no gap. You can PM me with evidence if you like, I just want the truth and not just words. Personally I think this is a great U.S. Wings jacket, but again, it is not SA. I don't think we are going to find the SA jacket really. You can get very close and that is what this Wings jacket does. I really like the leather of the jacket, but IMHO and from the Raiders DVD I just don't buy the pocket flaps, gap on the backpanel and again the zipper. You guys are more than welcome to buy one.

IndianaChris
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

you gotto look closer! ;)

I would not have said it was SA if I was not sure!

Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

This does look nice! Even I can't find anything to fault on this jacket, and it's US made. All it needs is lots and lots of wear!
This is what I imagine Indy's jacket would have looked like brand new.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

That thing looks great. Amazing looking lamb - never until this moment would I even consider lamb...

Can we have a better shot of the pocket (straight on, no angle?) Cheers :TOH:
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Very nice Weston. Much better than the earlier example's pics which seemed a bit too striated. This is a nice rich, substantial, drapey, looking jacket. I haven't seen the calf listed for a while. Has that bit the dust or is it just not available yet?
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Here you go CM.

Holt, any possibility you could put my picture next to that screen capture, and we could compare the gap size for size? That might be helpful.

I actually agree with you IndianaChris711, screen accuracy is as illusive as it is subjective, and the best thing to do in that case is to go custom. That way, the SA details that grab you specifically can be made to order.

Tibor, I have seen nothing to indicate that the calf has been removed as an option. If I find out differently I'll pass it on, but I would think that anyone who has ordered one would be notified about any changes.

Weston
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

[quote="Weston"

That, Weston is beautiful. An amazing looking jacket. It has the pocket flaps spot on, the way they fan out a bit at the side.

Weston[/quote]
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

Last edited by Noah on Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

Weston,

That is a GREAT jacket. That lamb looks thick and tough, who would have guessed...lamb, lamb on steroids?

Those pocket flaps look perfect, the scallop and that little bit of flare on the corners... i am still on the list for calf, which i hope is as beefy as the lamb (iam sure there is a joke in there somewhere), but jacket possibilities are once again in the air, dang this housing market, well acctually, dang all rumors that create fear for buyer who wanted to buy a house, yes that's it dang it all to heck as my little brother used to say...
back to jacket, how does it feel, how does it move I mean mobility and comfort wise?
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

It is a very, very comfortable jacket. I don't want to give the impression that it is too heavy, it really has a reassuring heft and thickness to it. Again, the action back is fully functional, so it moves really well, and the lining feels like satin.

Weston
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

The more I look at this one (and the pics on the USW site) the more this one looks to me like the Indy jacket I always wanted. The vibe is the closest I've seen to the leather jacket in Raiders.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

I want you to know that I do realize that this is a Thread meant for pictures of this great looking U.S. Wings Jacket...
So, when I post this picture of my Nowak 747 Raiders I want you to know I'm not doing it to draw comparison between any detailing of the two jackets (as far as I'm concerned, "a little gap" AND "no gap" are BOTH S.A.) OR out of any sort of lack of respect for the jacket Weston is showing...

Quite the opposite:
I'm greatly impressed with this new offering from U.S. Wings :) :tup: (and I'm really looking forward to seeing MORE photos - both from Weston and other WINGS customers)...

The simple fact is, I just wanted to say that when I saw that second photo that Weston posted at the start of this Thread, I was immediately reminded of a somewhat similar shot my wife once took of the back of my TN...
I'm seeing a LOT of what I love about this jacket of mine in this U.S. Wings beauty...

WELL DONE Wings!

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

The gap is there on the cooper. no way around it. I dont understand why people get caught up in that little tiny gap. if you want a screen accurate jacket you get the USW with the tiny gap. Like I said in a pm that was sent to me yesterday....no matter if the cooper is only seen 6 seconds on screen, the gap is STILL accurate. and its cool! ;)

Perosnally I believe the main jacket used was in fact a wested. and the wested had no gap. but thats just my believes.....

the USW striated lamb looks awesome but I'm curious to see it in Bison. which I think will be more softer, drapy and textured then the lamb.
Rick Deckard
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rick Deckard »

Well, I wasn't going to get another Raiders jacket...but that is one nice jacket! :clap: That leather looks outstanding, and the jacket really does scream Raiders. I think I'll wait to see if there is an oil pulled calf offering, or see how the bison looks as I'd rather stay away from lamb.

Any idea when we'll be able to get basic measurements? I'd like to know the back length of a 46 R. Unlike a lot of you guys, I prefer a bit longer jacket. If it's 25", that may, unfortunately, be a deal breaker.