Temple of Doom Fedora Question

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Temple of Doom Fedora Question

Post by IndyFanChuck »

Hey Hey! I hope everyone had a great weekend! I'm fighting a sinus infection. Bleh!

Okay, so I read all the FAQ's and tips about the Fedora, spent quite a while on it. But one thing I didn't see answered was WHO I should get to make my Temple of Doom hat. I really want something affordable and as close to the Temple of Doom Fedora as possible, so what are your suggestions? I know it's a matter of personal preference, but I need this by Halloween and I don't want to spend 4 hundred dollars. Todd's is to hard for me, too uncomfortable in my humble opinion. So what do I do??!?!!?

What are my best options for a very close to TOD Fedora without breaking the bank. I need options!

Thanks for putting up with this question! :rolling:

---Chuck
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Temple of Doom Fedora Question

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Hmmm, there aren't alot of TOD choices out there. Penman has made a few, but there's cost and time associated and your deadline of Halloween won't work.

There's been those around here that have said a Christies after a good wetting tapers into a TOD-ish shape, but I think that's playing with fire since results are sure to vary.

You can always throw a post in the Marrakesh section and someone may have one they are willing to part with.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Here's a hat I've bought a couple of times. I gave one away as a gift to my nephew, but I still have the other.

(what is your size, by the way? If mine fits you, I could sell one of the ones I have. I have a size 56)

Either way, I think this is a VERY good hat for the money, you can get it quick, and it makes for a good TOD hat.

Here are a couple of pics of me wearing mine!

http://www.themovieshop.com/Adventurer- ... -Movie-Hat

Good luck!

Daren Henry W
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

I have the same one, but it's the wool felt one. Wait, but yours is wool too right? It does make a good TOD hat. :tup:
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Noah wrote:I have the same one, but it's the wool felt one. Wait, but yours is wool too right? It does make a good TOD hat. :tup:

Yes, it's wool. But hey, want do you want for less than $100?

Looks like they raised the price though. When I bought mine, it cost me about $90 out the door.

DHW
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

I think you meant to link to this one: http://www.themovieshop.com/Adventurer- ... -Movie-Hat

Mine cost me about $90 too including shipping. I think they did raise the prices. When I first saw it, before I actually bought it, it was about $10 cheaper.
Last edited by Noah on Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Noah wrote:I think you meant to link to this one: http://www.themovieshop.com/Adventurer- ... -Movie-Hat

Mine cost me about $90 too including shipping. I think they did raise the prices. When I first saw it, it was about $10 cheaper.

Thank you, Noah!

Yes, you are absolutely right! That IS the one I was thinking of! (Sorry, everyone, for the lazy research job!)

Good work, Noah!

Daren
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

No problem Daren! :TOH: And I'm sure the fur felt Adventurer would be just as good.
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47471

Have a look at this thread.
May well be to late for halloween though :( .
But you could ask on the turnaround.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

How decent are those wool Indy hats from the movie shop? (I'm not expecting much as they are wool)
With the current exchange rate and shipping, they are running about $77. Are they worth the money?
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

kwad wrote:How decent are those wool Indy hats from the movie shop? (I'm not expecting much as they are wool)
With the current exchange rate and shipping, they are running about $77. Are they worth the money?
It's not too bad if all you want is a costume hat. Compared to higher end hats, it's not good. But if you're not willing to spend a whole lot and all you want is a costume hat that's pretty accurate, than it's a pretty good buy. My hat has become extremely soft and floppy. But for the most part, it's more for costume.

I would say get something that costs more that's higher quality, like a Fed. That's just my opinion. :)
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Noah,
Thanks for the info.

I already have a Fed that is my go to hat.
I just sort of want a "Streets of Cairo" model, but do not want to destroy a perfectly good (i.e. expensive) hat to do it. I can't justify spending good money on a costume hat I would not wear on a regular basis.
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

The Movie Shop wool hat doesn't have the best shape for Raiders, but it can still work. Since it's not as expensive as other hats, it would be good to dirty up. And plus it gets floppy. I hope that helps. :)
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

kwad wrote:Noah,
Thanks for the info.

I already have a Fed that is my go to hat.
I just sort of want a "Streets of Cairo" model, but do not want to destroy a perfectly good (i.e. expensive) hat to do it. I can't justify spending good money on a costume hat I would not wear on a regular basis.
Todd's Costumes has the downtowner, although it's a stiff hat.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Try Miller hats. The #257 open crown Miller Fedora is a great choice, and is soft right out of the box. You can shape is easily to look exactly like you want it. $155.00. It's a Stetson.

Weston
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

In that price range I would go with the fed 4.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Jlee, I've thought about the Downtowner as well, but, saw the movie shop hat and thought it may be a way to save a few bucks. (plus, I like the idea of bashing my own hat)

Weston,
Unfortunately, those Millers are a bit out of the price range I was shooting for (remember, it will only be primarily a costume/display piece).
Also, I agree with Bending Oak. At that price point, I would rather just buy another Fed 4.
I'm not knocking the Miller's (I've never actually seen one in person) it is just that I'm more than happy with the Feds.

Chuck,
Sorry about the derail :oops: I'm done, I swear :#:

-Kevin
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

What size do you wear? I might be able to help you out...
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

I am a size 24/61 size hat. And I'm about to have to order it ASAP because I'm running out of time for Halloween!

Oklahoma Jones wrote:What size do you wear? I might be able to help you out...
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

The Stetson Temple is the TOD hat, at least what Stetson placed in that film. I also hear they have improved their felt for this hat, and it no longer bleeds the luering powder that Stetson uses to make their colors very even on the hat. If you are on a budget, this would be a good one. I bought 4 or 5 years ago,and was well pleased with the looks, although it does of course have some taper, but it very proportional. Fedora