Overseas traveling question

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Overseas traveling question

Post by knibs7 »

I'm going to Spain at the end of the month and was wondering if it would be alright with TSA if i brought my resin WG packed in my luggage (not carry on)

Thanks

Kyle
Dr. Nebraska S.

Re: Overseas traveling question

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

You will definitely need to read carefully on the official TSA website http://www.tsa.gov, particularly these pages:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... _1169.shtm
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... items.shtm

Best wishes,
Nebraska Schulte
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I would worry less about TSA than walking around foreign countries with what appears to be a firearm. [-X

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

My question would be why you needed to take it to Spain in the first place? :?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Along those sames lines, dressing in full gear including the whip and holster (even if empty) is likely to draw more attention than you want. You're not going to be at a Con where costuming is the norm. Your going to be on regular city streets where the possession, or appearance thereof, of weapons is asking for trouble.

You think security at Disney is tough on costuming? Try a foreign police department where English is not a first language and an adult American on 'holiday' in a costume is likely to be misunderstood.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I believe I read he's only going to LC film locations to recreate movie scenes, and not just going to be wearing them around on city streets. Isn't that right, Kyle?

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

....you could tell by the way he walked he meant trouble...at the first sign of trouble, whip out that piece! Throw down on those foreigners if they give you any heat. :P

Doesn't everyone carry a resin revolver when visiting foreign lands?

Kyle, you will want to pack your steel shanked Aldens because if you don't, you will most likely have to take them off at every TSA or other security stop, etc. I usually wear slip ons or tennis shoes due to heightened security these days.

Might be a good idea to put the resin piece in the aldens for storeage?
ThatManFromRio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ThatManFromRio »

True ! Spain can be a deadly place for careless tourists !

TMFR :lol:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

...that's no BULL! ;)
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Kyle, especically since you mentioned in another thread you are planning to visit Tunisia as well. I live in an Arab/Islamic country and whereas Westerners are generally welcomed (and 'tolerated') I think long and hard about where I wear my gear. I know it'll be a nightmare to explain to a Qatari police officer who speaks limited English who Indiana Jones is and why I'm dressed up like him. It's as likely as not that he's going to see this :whip: Say this [-X And do this :BD: (take my whip, not my wallet) and I'm going to be left doing this #-o .

Remember, you may think of these sites as movie locations. They think of them as home.

To say nothing of a very real possibility your WG and/or whip may not still be in your luggage when you arrive. :cry:

I hate to be a buzz kill, but an ounce of prevention...

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Yeah, and if you think Disney security is tough on costuming....

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Michaelson wrote:I believe I read he's only going to LC film locations to recreate movie scenes, and not just going to be wearing them around on city streets. Isn't that right, Kyle?

Regards! Michaelson
Right Michaelson,
I'm only going to be in gear when I'm in Kairouan and the Tanis sites, as well as the desert where the tank scene was filmed and the beach scene. I definitely did not plan on bringing my Raiders gun on the streets or in any public place. I only wanted to bring my Stunt WG to the desert and beach location.

Kyle
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

_ wrote:Yes - Please be careful. People still disappear in the places you're discussing. Movie productions pay a lot of money - including outright bribes - for security. There are more people in the world that don't know who Indiana Jones even is. And there are more people who will look at you bringing an american icon to their home who will be offended by it. It ain't Kansas and they can put you in a hole in the ground with virtually no chance it will ever come back on them...

There are so many places in this world where they will smile at Americans while we're spending money in their bars, hotels, restaurants, and touristy shops - and if you leave the tourist area they will cut your throat and throw you in the sewer...
Thanks _, I really appreciate the advice :TOH:
That being said, I have hired a body guard to walk around with us.

Kyle
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

I would also check Spanish law on bringing replicas in.

I decided not to take my resin guns to the UK, I spoke with the local police where I was going as well. Reenactors in army uniforms all together in a cordoned off area with old non-functional rifles is ok, but a guy walking around "in public" brandishing a very realistic pistol, not so much.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Well I wouldn't really be in public. I would be in the desert

Kyle
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

knibs7 wrote:Well I wouldn't really be in public. I would be in the desert

Kyle
The TSA doesn't care what you take OUT of the US providing a) you can't access it from the cabin, and b) it poses no danger to the aircraft.

You really should check with the Spanish customs and local policia guardia civil where you are heading (http://www.policia.es/). Spain is not as stringent as the UK but it ain't Texas. I found a reference to having a replica firearm in public that the penalty is 300 euro and confiscation.

You might say "I'm not in public" but they are the ones who will determine that, not you. And you're clearly not inside someone's private house...

Have you been to Europe before?

My replica weapons don't leave the house, they are just too realistic looking. I was nervous in the UK wearing an empty holster.