Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

ProfessorHenryWJonesJr
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Just shaking my head and laughing at the stupidity.

Re: New review of the Improved WPG Indy Shirt (w/pics!)

Post by ProfessorHenryWJonesJr »

Looking great as always in your gear, Michael. :TOH: :notworthy: COW member "DarenHenryW" actually suggested the WPG Indy shirt to me and, after purchasing one, needless to say, I am thankful for his suggestion and advice. Thanks, Daren. :TOH:

As far as I am concerned, the color, fit, and length are great. Though I have heard of complaints from members concerning quality and workmanship from previous versions of the WPG shirt, so far, I have had no issues with mine.

As you and Daren have stated, I would suggest the WPG shirt or at least give it a try.

Thanks again for the pictures and the detail review, Michael. :TOH: Much appreciated. :tup:
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

Post by IndianaBogart »

The shirt, like all of your gear, looks great on you Tundra. :tup:

Do you happen to know if the sizing chart on the WPG page for the Indy shirt has been updated to include the smaller sizing? Cause the small still looks like it would swallow me, from what the size chart that is on there now says. :-k

Thanks,
-Bogart :TOH:
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Thanks for this great review Tundrarider! The shirt looks great and I really like the buttons on it. I think I´ll know what´s going to be my next Indy shirt ;)
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Excellent words and pictures as always Michael!
:clap:

I've REALLY loved my WPG since getting it... a great Indy Shirt in my opinion, too.
:) :tup:

You always post great photos (and that lady you love has a nice gift for taking your photos, too!)
I also have to mention: those pants look great as well (I'm guessing they're "close Enoughs" but it's kinda' hard to tell 'cuz you seem to have a very natural gift for giving the Gear a look of authenticity)

Thanks for showing off the Gear so well!

All the Best!
Mitch
:TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I like the new shirt withe the replacement buttons. Good job, Michael! :tup:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Question is, which one is your fav.? I like the fact that the WPG has the right look and the fit is much improved from the older run, but the material is a little stiff. The MBA shirt is thin material and has been just about the softest.
nihil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by nihil »

Thanks for the review. I had previously written off the WPG shirt as I had read elsewhere they were cut extremely baggy.
Now I'll consider getting it.
I noticed that we have the same height and are pretty close in weight as well (I'm 20 pounds lighter). Would you suggest me to go with the medium long then? Is the M/Lg long enough for your arms if you have the sleeves rolled down?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Definitely Med-L for your height.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Looks GREAT Michael! Well done, once again :TOH:

Kyle
Quindy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Quindy »

It looks really great on you. Now I've to figure out which size will fit me.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Texan Scott wrote:Question is, which one is your fav.? I like the fact that the WPG has the right look and the fit is much improved from the older run, but the material is a little stiff.

This brings up a good point. Is the new shirt the same material as the old, or have they gone with something a bit thinner or softer?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

wow what a make over. I am definitely getting at least two of them. The WPG was always a favorite when it came to color and details but they were SO big. but now... :tup:

thanks for the great review Mike!
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Michael- thank you for this! I have heard many good things about the WPG shirts over the years... but the sizing issue always scared me off. Because of that it has been the one Indy shirt that I know of that I have never purchased. Now I may have to rethink that.

Also- _- if I may ask- I have been looking at WPG's M-43 reinforced jump jacket for a while now. I really want to get it but I haven't really heard much about it. Did you order the size you usually wear?
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I have always wanted a WPG shirt, but have been a bit hesitant due to the color. They just look a little light :-k I certainly trust all who have posted positive reviews of these shirts, but when a stone/grayish shirt is in sunlight, it just doesn't look exactly right IMO. I have an Azuma shirt that looks a little dark to me, but in the sunlight, and in some pics we've taken, it looks just right

Oh well, I guess the only thing for it is to order one and find out for myself...Thanks for the great write up TR! :TOH:

Travis
Last edited by Hollowpond on Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Adventure Dog »

Thank you so much Tundrarider for the review! I'm been thinking about a WPG for a while, and even though I wear medium's, I think I may go for a small-long based on your weight. I weigh 175 and I've been told I'm "thin", so I might be able to squeeze into it. A medium will probably be a little too big to wear as Indy gear.

I've been on the fence for a little while, but you've got me convinced, I'll just have to order a WPG!
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

Great review Tundrarider! I like the new buttons you added on. It has a nice contrast with the shirt. Nice job! :)
nihil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by nihil »

Thanks for the reply!
Can I get you to measure two things for me? Your neck, and the length on the shirt from the collar down to the end of the sleeve.
Swiftfoot
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student
Location: ...and he lived Happily Ever After inside #284 / 777

Post by Swiftfoot »

Great review Michael. :TOH:

Just what I was looking for as I pondered shirts. Thanks to your review I have one on the way as well as a pair of their officer pinks. :D

As I've mentioned before your TN jacket review nudged me along to get my own - for which I'm eternally grateful. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

All I can say is... for the love of all that is holy and the sake of my wallet stop writing these excellent, informative reviews!!! ;)

Cheers,

Patrick
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

Great great posts! Love the photos and I'm jealous of how great you look! :rolling:

Where can we find a link to all these items? Since some of us around here may not have the info?

Thanks

----Chuck
nihil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by nihil »

I ended up getting the medium.
Thanks for the review :)
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Michael, you look fantastic in the shirt! I'm glad that my review was helpful! It's still my number one Indy shirt, and seeing you in it certainly further convinces me that if you can get one that fits (which I know is hard probably for a lot of folks), it's one of the best out there for SA cut and color.

Bravo!

Keep up the great work!

Daren Henry W
nihil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by nihil »

Tundrarider> I eventually figured out that if the shirt fits then I got a nice fitting shirt in the first try, if not then I got an excellent excuse to order more extra items from WPG while ordering another shirt anyway :D
nihil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by nihil »

Received the shirt! Very nice indeed. i don't think the material is very thick. It's considerably thinner than other military grade and civilian shirts that I own. I'm sure it's going to settle very well once it's being washed a few times.
The length was ok, it could have been half an inch longer in the sleeves (but thats my monkey arms), but otherwise I really like it. And I'll probably wear it short sleeve anyway.
Eloquent 1
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Eloquent 1 »

Wow, when you dress up in your gear, you are Indiana Jones!
I wish I looked half as good in my gear as you do in yours :H:
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

Thank you Micheal for this interesting and exaustive review! :notworthy:
And also, this shirt suits you prefect! One of the best fitting I ever saw, really!
DeLoreanDMC81
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by DeLoreanDMC81 »

I think this is an excellent write up/review! Gives a lot of great information and certainly helps me out in my shirt selection.

Now I had a question about the comparison picture you posted, what makes the Todd's shirt, to the far right, so much lighter than the one in the middle?

(Left/WPG-Middle/Todd's-Right/Todd's)
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

DeLoreanDMC81 wrote:I think this is an excellent write up/review! Gives a lot of great information and certainly helps me out in my shirt selection.

Now I had a question about the comparison picture you posted, what makes the Todd's shirt, to the far right, so much lighter than the one in the middle?

(Left/WPG-Middle/Todd's-Right/Todd's)
i believe that this is the newer batch of his shirts which if i'm not mistaken are what is currently offered. i.m.h.o, i think that just a touch of pearl gray would make this almost perfect for s.a.

jlhampton
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Very nice comparison shot.
:)
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Glad to see Jerry made improvements to the shirt!
DeLoreanDMC81
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by DeLoreanDMC81 »

jlhampton wrote:
i believe that this is the newer batch of his shirts which if i'm not mistaken are what is currently offered. i.m.h.o, i think that just a touch of pearl gray would make this almost perfect for s.a.

jlhampton
Thanks for the info! Seriously, if the WPG shirt and Todd's yellow-ish shirt were just in the picture by themselves, hands down I'd go with the WPG. But now if that's one of Todd's new color corrected shirts, it's really got me re-thinking on which one to go with. I seriously wouldn't mind buying one of each, but I only have enough funds right now to splurge for just one.

James
DeLoreanDMC81
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by DeLoreanDMC81 »

jlhampton wrote:

jlhampton
Alrighty, I actually e-mailed that comparison photo to Todds Costumes and this is the response I got from them:

Hi James, Wow, it's been a long time since I saw such a dark Indy shirt. You might ask the owner if he has done anything to change the colors of either shirt. The lighter Todd's is the closest to the ones we have in stock now.

Best Regards,

Mizbrooks
Todd's Costumes
16241 Askin Drive Suite 103
Frazier Park, California 93222
USA
http://www.toddscostumes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
661 242 2089

To be honest, I don't think Todd's shirt is horrible looking at all. Of course if it were that khaki color one, I'd have a completely different opinion.

James
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

yeah, you won't be disappointed with todd's shirt. i have one from the original run which can appear to be a tad on the yellow side, but it only seems that way when next to other shirts. it doesn't look so bad when it's out in natural sunlight. i still am going to get a new todd's relatively soon, along with a jacket, too, i think.
as you can see in the pics the fabric is right on and it's very comfortable, too. well worth it.

jlhampton
DeLoreanDMC81
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by DeLoreanDMC81 »

jlhampton wrote:yeah, you won't be disappointed with todd's shirt. i have one from the original run which can appear to be a tad on the yellow side, but it only seems that way when next to other shirts. it doesn't look so bad when it's out in natural sunlight. i still am going to get a new todd's relatively soon, along with a jacket, too, i think.
as you can see in the pics the fabric is right on and it's very comfortable, too. well worth it.

jlhampton
Well I think that settles it for me, I'm going to go ahead a get one of Todd's tomorrow. I just kept hearing how yellow-ish Todd's shirt was, so I was a little concerned. But looking at Michael's photo, then having Todd respond to me I feel a lot more comfortable now. I do appreciate all your input that you've shared so far!
Tundrarider wrote:
DeLoreanDMC81 wrote:Hi James, Wow, it's been a long time since I saw such a dark Indy shirt. You might ask the owner if he has done anything to change the colors of either shirt.
As for the Middle Todd's shirt in the pic, I bought it just before CS came out in theaters. The color has always been a darker khaki color, which I like. I haven't done anything to the color of this shirt. However, I have worn it A LOT a sweated in it and seldom washed it, so it may have darkened from wear. :-0 But, it's really a moot point, as the newer Todd's shirts are much lighter as seen in the newer shirt on the right. That shirt has almost a "creamy" color, which I also have not altered.

My apologies to Todd, as I never meant for this to be a comparision thread between WPG and Todd's, as I mentioned above in my original post. I simply took the pic of the WPG with my only other Indy shirts just to illustrate the color of the WPG, not the other way around.

And to James and jlhampton, this is nothing against what you guys are trying to figure out here; I totally understand your concern about the shirt colors. Wouldn't it be great to be able to go to an Indiana Jones Shop where all the vendors products are displayed and you compare colors, styles and sizes and can try everything on? =P~ Actually, though that would be very cool, I am not diminishing what we have here with this community and all of the great vendors on-line. It's just challenging in choosing colors due to differences in lighting, cameras, computer monitors, etc.

Best to you with your search!

Michael :TOH:
Hey Michael, I know that you never meant for this to be a big comparison thread, I blame myself for making it seem that way. Since you had that picture posted on here I figured I'd do some research on why that shirt in the middle was so much darker than the other two. Plus I didn't want to buy Todd's and be completely disappointed in it for being the wrong color.

You're absolutely right though, I really wish there was a store or a way to compare the vendor products so they can be right in front of you. Cause like you said, things can change because of the lighting, computer monitors, etc...

I do appreciate your help as well on this whole shirt thing! I guess the only thing to do right now is, buy one of Todd's first and save up and buy a WPG shirt next. lol

James
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

michael, ..if i may call you michael, i agree with you all the way. it would be a great thing if we all could walk into one place and see in person all the gear at once, but then we would not have to come here and this is more interesting, anyway. it's more fun to sort of "hunt" down what we're looking for and comparing pics and opinions and other knowledge. i must add that your posts are very well composed and extremely helpful. you have a lot of great stuff and i enjoy seeing and reading about it. when i get all mine in order i'll share mine. thanks again. 'til next time, later.

jlhampton
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Tundrarider wrote:I always get so excited at DisneyLand after the Indy ride as I exit and rush into the Adventure store. Kind of a let down when I see the stuff for sale. Imagine if all of our stuff was in there!!! \:D/ ... I'm a big ComicCon International fan and attendee and sure wish some of our vendors could set up some booths there...all in one area! \:D/
:D :tup:
I can't tell you how cool I think it would be if this were the case!
I'm not able to work either DisneyLand OR ComiCon into my life right now... but I'd sure be happy for you guys if things were set up just like Michael's talking about!
:)
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

With the new WPG shirt, did they take out the pleat in the back? It's hard to tell in your photos.

Cheers!

Dan
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Wow...the color and cut look great. And, as always, your pics are too cool. Every picture i see of you always reminds me of advertisment poster for an Indiana Jones book or movie. Very very cool.
DeLoreanDMC81
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by DeLoreanDMC81 »

Alrighty, well I went ahead and ordered Todd's shirt last week and it came in last Friday. I was so excited until... I opened the box and saw that it was the Khaki colored shirt I was hoping that it wouldn't be. It's a nice shirt and everything but I was really disappointed in the color. For some people the color is absolutely fine, but for me it just wasn't what I was expecting.

Anywho, Saturday rolls around, I just go ahead and bite the bullet and order a WPG shirt. Well today it came in and I'm extremely pleased with the way it fits, feels and how screen accurate it looks. I'm going to be changing the buttons to the darker ones, just like you did Michael.

I've posted a picture below to show the differences in the 2 shirts. Enjoy!

James

WPG - on the Left / Todd's - on the Right
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dragonlady Jones »

Well Michael, thanks a lot! (hint of sarcasm there) Based on your excellent review, I just bought two WPG shirts - a M and a L. We'll see which one I sell in the bazaar shortly...
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Tundrarider wrote:You guys feel free to post pics and your reviews here if you please!

Michael :TOH:
You bet! A thread like this is worthless without...
HabuSake
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HabuSake »

Thanks, Michael for the great review.

I received my WPG shirt a few days ago and wanted to share with everyone my initial impression and experience with washing and drying it.

First off, it is definitely a great Indy shirt, and the color and details are spot on. The construction appears to be good (although one of the front buttons was loose and pulled right off when I tugged on it :( ) but, as Michael has done I'll probably replace the buttons anyway.

As far as sizing, I got a Small and I measured the shirt before and after washing/drying it. Right out of the package, the pit-to-pit, length, and sleeve dimensions were all slightly under (about 3%) what was listed in the table on the WPG website. After machine washing in cold water and tumble drying on medium (perm. press) I found the shirt shrunk about 5% in what I had measured for the length and sleeves, but the pit-to-pit didn't change (direction of the weave?). So, I now have a shirt with sleeves that are exactly 1 inch shorter than what is stated in the table on the website.

I just wanted to share this if you're comparing the sizes listed in the table with shirts you own and your washing/drying produces similar results as what I saw. I will most likely purchase another WPG shirt down the road but I will definitely go with a Long.

Cheers!
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Wow, what are the chances? I received the size 'L' today and was wondering how much it will shrink. I ordered a 'M' also, but I think I'll be sending it back. Out of the package the large fits darn near perfect. A little long for me, but the sleeves and chest are just right. I don't think I'll be throwing this baby in the dryer...

Michael, any experience with 'shrinkage'? (not the Seinfeld kind either! :lol: )
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Cool, thanks again! :TOH:
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Just got an email from WPG and the Indy shirt is listed as being restocked.

http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=1846
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Take a look at these buttons authentic shirts and buttons? They're listed as US Army Summer Shirt Buttons. They mention the shirts were made by many manufactures and therefor colors could vary so I'm sure this is true with buttons. The material looks different in these two pictures but the style of button looks the same. Might give you an idea what to look for.

http://quanonline.com/military/military ... ms/kak.php
http://www.quanonline.com/military/mili ... ttons.html

nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Glad that the WPG shirts are more 'tailored' than the previous sack version.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I just bought some old buttons that look similar in color to what Michael used on his WPG shirt.

Michael, I'm 6'1", 215 and wear a standard dress shirt of 17 to 17-1/2 neck, 34/35 arm. Most of my shirts are XL because I have a broad chest and shoulders. But looking at you build, and you going with the L makes me think the WPG shirts run larger than most brands in the malls. I'm thinking the Large-Long might be the way to go. What do you think, the L-L or XL-L? What size mall dress shirt do you wear?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35223822@N ... 027846985/
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Hey Michael quick question for ya? :whip: Just getting ready to pull the trigger on a WPG shirt. How much shrinkage are you noticing on theses shirts? :-k

Cheers,
Zane
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Perfect thanks!
wwhisko
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by wwhisko »

I just received two shirts from WPG, and I'm COMPLETELY satisfied!!!! I ordered the large...which was just a tad too big. I washed them in cold water...hung them to dry...and now they're PERFECT!!!! I can't believe how fast they deliver!!!! It arrived only a few days after the order was placed (and I ordered on a Saturday afternoon). Also, it shipped from Dubai...AMAZING!!!! I just ordered the newer WARING & GILBOW MK VII bag they're offering. It's more expensive, but they claim it's more screen accurate. I'll let you know.