Show us your US Wings Antique COW Hero jackets

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Re: Show us your US Wings Antique COW Hero jackets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Mitch LaRue wrote:Bink, it is my sincere hope that I'll be WEARING my Cooper Calf while looking at snappy shots of you wearing yours!
;)

I'll keep my grubby fingers crossed!
:P
:lol: Well, come out to the Queen Mary this year and we can be in the same picture wearing the same jacket! ;)
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Awww Man, bink!
:)

I sincerely cannot tell you how much I would love to make that happen... but unfortunately, the big bottle of pennies (labelled "C.O.W. Summits") that sits on top of my Canadian Passport says otherwise!
:(

I AM working towards a visit NEXT year, though (likely for the Finger Lakes Summit)...
But if there's anyway it can be managed, I'd love to get a Rain Cheque from you on this (besides, maybe the more time that goes by, our U.S. Wings Calf Raiders will continue to become prettier and prettier ;) )

So - barring any unforeseen Lottery wins on my part - I don't think I'll be seeing you at the QM this year... but please know that I AM aware that not sharing in what I'm sure is the charming company of yourself and the othr QM "regulars" IS my loss...

Cheers, buddy... I'm stoked you're onboard for the Calf Raiders!
:D :tup:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Mitch LaRue wrote:... but please know that I AM aware that not sharing in what I'm sure is the charming company of yourself and the othr QM "regulars" IS my loss...
Charming. That's one way to describe this motley bunch. Not necessarily my way, but one way. :lol:
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

PsychicsAndSwords wrote:Argh! You guys do know that you're making the wait for the long sizes even harder, right? :P
Yeah, I know; hopefully they will ship by this Friday. [-o<
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Charming. That's one way to describe this motley bunch. Not necessarily my way, but one way. :lol:
:lol:
Noted.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

My girl took a couple pictures of me yesterday and I just had to post this one here. Don't you just love this jacket? it is now very broken in and the ageing just keeps on getting better and better. I told Sarge in an email not long ago that this jacket will be treasured and worn forever. and trust me it will! :tup: love it!

tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: from Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil but living in Beirut, Lebanon

Post by tekors »

Very nice picture... cool jacket...
:)
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Just got back from opening weekend of achery season here. I took my jacket to deer camp (if you consider me, under a tarp next to a fire with Spam and whiskey deer camp!) and it was perfect. Not too heavy, kept me warm at night, and makes no sound when it moves. Perfect, and a welcome companion on cold dark nights in the deep woods.

Weston
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

Jacket looks great Holt! :TOH:
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Just got back from opening weekend of achery season here. I took my jacket to deer camp (if you consider me, under a tarp next to a fire with Spam and whiskey deer camp!) and it was perfect. Not too heavy, kept me warm at night, and makes no sound when it moves. Perfect, and a welcome companion on cold dark nights in the deep woods.

Weston
Actually, Weston...that is precisely what I call "deer camp." Out there, livin' in that jacket, man! Love it!

Did you bag one? Compound bow or longbow?

Regards!
Indydawg
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Or grosgrain bow? :lol:
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Indydawg wrote:

Weston
Actually, Weston...that is precisely what I call "deer camp." Out there, livin' in that jacket, man! Love it!

Did you bag one? Compound bow or longbow?

Regards!
Indydawg
No, I didn't bag one yet, but then again, I have never done it on opening weekend. I shoot a longbow, I make them as well as all the rest of my equipment right down to the string. I took a nice one last year a 15 yrds, clean kill, excellent venison!

That's right Bink, grosgrain! (maybe that's what I've been doing wrong all these years!) :-k

Osage Orange, actually. ;)

Weston
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Anybody else have a collar crease like this out of the box?

:o Must've gotten set that way when it was packed. I had to wet the collar a bit to reshape it as it wouldn't stay put otherwise. Now if it would just get cold enough to wear the thing outdoors, I'd be a happy camper ( supposed to get up to 105 degrees here in So Cal this weekend ](*,) ). Image
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Solent, for clarity's sake I just want to make sure I'm understanding here...

I realize that's the U.S. Wings Antique Cow Jacket & collar in the top photo (gorgeous leather), but what jacket is that in the bottom photo?

Are you showing us the Wings collar followed by what you want it to look like or are those "before & after" photos?
That can't possibly be the same jacket (and collar) but under different lighting... CAN it?
:-k

I'd be curious to know...
Thanks!
:TOH:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

it's new leather and the collarstand standing up like that is normal. it will relax.
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: from Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil but living in Beirut, Lebanon

Post by tekors »

Solent MKIII wrote:Anybody else have a collar crease like this out of the box?

:o Must've gotten set that way when it was packed. I had to wet the collar a bit to reshape it as it wouldn't stay put otherwise. Now if it would just get cold enough to wear the thing outdoors, I'd be a happy camper ( supposed to get up to 105 degrees here in So Cal this weekend ](*,) ). Image
Also waiting for colder days to start... miss wearing my wested... :whip:
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

They look the same to me, Mitch... And if so, this helps me bring up a question about this jacket/hide that has been bothering me... Does this leather have a rough, dry feel to it? In close ups, it looks kind of like it would, and in a lot of pictures, the leather looks very similar to an old jacket I have, which does in fact feel rough and dry. Either way, Solent, your jacket(s?) looks pretty cool :)

-KB :D
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Mitch LaRue wrote:Solent, for clarity's sake I just want to make sure I'm understanding here...

I realize that's the U.S. Wings Antique Cow Jacket & collar in the top photo (gorgeous leather), but what jacket is that in the bottom photo?

Are you showing us the Wings collar followed by what you want it to look like or are those "before & after" photos?
That can't possibly be the same jacket (and collar) but under different lighting... CAN it?
:-k

I'd be curious to know...
Thanks!
Yes, that actually is the same jacket! The first pic was shot with a flash under an incandescent light, while the bottom pic was taken right next to a flourescent light in my studio ( so I could see to fix the collar ). Kinda crazy how the color of the leather changes under different light, huh? :o
Kentucky Blues wrote:They look the same to me, Mitch... And if so, this helps me bring up a question about this jacket/hide that has been bothering me... Does this leather have a rough, dry feel to it? In close ups, it looks kind of like it would, and in a lot of pictures, the leather looks very similar to an old jacket I have, which does in fact feel rough and dry. Either way, Solent, your jacket(s?) looks pretty cool :)

-KB :D
Thanks, KB. :TOH: The leather is a bit dry to the touch, but really not rough at all. Some of the skins have a bit more grain and texture than others, but overall it has a deceptively soft feel. Image
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Anyone know if Myke is on vacation? I've emailed twice in the past few weeks and have yet to get a response....

Is anyone else having a problem with the sleeves riding up ridiculously the instant your arms are raised? Or are my arms just freakishly long......
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

backstagejack wrote:Anyone know if Myke is on vacation? I've emailed twice in the past few weeks and have yet to get a response....

Is anyone else having a problem with the sleeves riding up ridiculously the instant your arms are raised? Or are my arms just freakishly long......
I spoke to him yesterday, which he said my XL Long USW AC will be here Tuesday \:D/ I would suggest calling him. BTW what size do you have and what length are your arms from the shoulder? Maybe you need a long.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Some advice please-

Post by Kokopelli »

Ordering tomorrow- 6'3" 190 with long arms; I wear a 36/37 dress shirt sleeve.
Large Long?

update: ordered today at noon-ish, it's already on its way due to arrive Wednesday!! Now that's customer service!
Last edited by Kokopelli on Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

That size sounds about right kokpelli :tup:

-TS
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

:cry: :cry: :cry:

So my box came today with my Wings Hero Moo Cow jacket! Wrong size was sent. :cry:
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Just got my NZ Lamb and Cow Heroes in long as well. I realize that these were hand aged but I didn't expect a couple of spots to have "scratches/scraps" that actually felt thinner than the rest of the hide. Seems like such thin spots would be more likely to wear through at some point in the future. Anybody else have this?.

I'm also trying to decide if I can go a size smaller. I'm a 42 chest (no shirt) and a 38 waist (no pants). I'm 6'2" 185 lbs. The chest size of the larges match a Wested 44 Long I have (24"). Opinions?

Excelsior,
Riothamus
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Well...you didn't mention what size you ordered?....

If you got a Large, though....I'd stick with the Large....if you got XL....then you could definitely go with a Large...

Regards!
Indydawg
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Sorry, I did indeed get Large Longs in both of them. I did realize after I posted that the medium would be more than a couple of inches smaller than the larges so that wouldn't work.

Right now I'm not sure what I'll do or if I'll even keep both or either of them. I'm kinda over wanting two brown Indy jackets right now and with my recent job loss, there's other things I can do with that money. If the NZ lamb wasn't so zebra striped I'd keep that one as it can be worn more often. :-k

Riothamus
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Yeah, man....don't know what to tell you. For the price of both of them, you could have at least one of something else, though....

Maybe I'm just going through a minimalist phase, but...how many jackets do we REALLY need?
:[ :CR:

Ok...I guess this is the wrong place to ask THAT question :lol:

Regards!
Indydawg
DoubleOhSeven
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by DoubleOhSeven »

Just got mine this afternoon.

Sorry this photo is so crappy....only had my phone available at the time.

What I can say about the jacket is the fit is awesome. I ordered a medium, and it fits very well. Sleeve length is great, and the bottom falls just below my waistline.

The jacket didn't have the press snaps on the strom flap like it did in the US Wings website photo. Not that that is really an issue; I can put those on myself if I decide I absolutely have to have them.

Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looks good!!!

But if you didn't order one without snaps and you were expecting them give them a call. That's their mistake and they should fix it for you at no charge. :TOH:

-TS
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

:tup:
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Solent MKIII wrote:Anybody else have a collar crease like this out of the box?

...Must've gotten set that way when it was packed. I had to wet the collar a bit to reshape it as it wouldn't stay put otherwise.
I own 5 USW jackets, 4 of which needed some wet collar reshaping on my part. They do reshape nicely, though.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Lookin' GOOD, DoubleOhSeven!

:) :tup:

That's a GREAT fit.
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

Looks very good DoubleOhSeven! :D
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Looks like you got an excellent fit! What do you think of the leather?

Weston
gladd96
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by gladd96 »

Yup this is some nice leather :tup:
My Large long finally made it a few days ago and it's breaking in nicely. The fit- well let's just say it's what I bargained for. This will be more of an every day jacket so I'm OK with the Wings fit though this hide would be great on a more accurate replication of Indy's jacket. Of course it's nice to have a jacket that I can wear with an untucked shirt and have it cover. For $195 I have no complaints.

As to the leather it captures what I see in Indy's jacket from the films as well as any hide I've seen to date. Mine looks darker than several I've seen here. I don't know if that's do to the photos or just variations between different batches but to my eyes the color matches what I see on screen and I couldn't be more satisfied.

All the drama surrounding the Wings "Legend" is a shame. I was considering their new cut and pedigree aside, it looks to be a substantial improvement to the overall cut of the jacket but in the end the extra length I wanted in the body kind of defeats the point of getting too carried away with obsessing over a more screen accurate cut. Plus an extra $100 in my wallet is nice too. If anyone is considering the antique naked cow hide non COW "legend" special over the calf or lamb, I don't think you would be disappointed in this leather. It reminds me a little of my Nowak CS though it's not as thick and much darker. To my eyes it looks a lot like Tony's 747 cowhide.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

JC1972 wrote:
backstagejack wrote:Anyone know if Myke is on vacation? I've emailed twice in the past few weeks and have yet to get a response....

I spoke to him yesterday, which he said my XL Long USW AC will be here Tuesday \:D/ I would suggest calling him. BTW what size do you have and what length are your arms from the shoulder? Maybe you need a long.

I'm pretty sure I'll need a Long size. I originally had a Small, on the suggestion of Myke, the arms on that did the same thing, the instant I lift my arms in any direction the cuff flies up 2-3 inches on my arm. So I sent it back and got a Medium. same thing, to the point where a female friend of mine was laughing at it. So, I'm hoping a Medium Long would do the trick, but I have yet to get a response from my emails to Myke.

Last I recall my arm length was measured at 24 inches. I have this problem all the time in whatever suit coat I wear also...

Love the jackets though. Each one that i've had so far are beautiful....
DoubleOhSeven
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by DoubleOhSeven »

Thanks, guys, I really love the jacket.

The fit is awesome. It's as a close to perfect fit as I've ever gotten on an off-the-rack jacket.

Weston, I think the leather is great. It is a great feeling, comfortable, but seems very durable. Sure has a nice leather smell to it.

Tundraraider, here are some new photos. It is indeed a Medium, not a long. I am 6ft, 180 lbs. I wear a 42 regular, and although I normally wear a large, I took USWings advice that this jacket runs big and came out with a perfect fit. Now, when zipped, there's not a whole lotta room, so a heavy sweater of something like that will not be easy to fit underneath it. But, judging from this fit, I think that a large would be too big on me. Here are some new photos, taken this afternoon.

Front view

Zipped

Back (Zipped)

(Yeah, that is a whip hanging in the background...just got through with a coat of Pecard's)
DoubleOhSeven
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by DoubleOhSeven »

Tundrarider wrote:Thanks for the awesome pics and additional info, 007!!! :D

Wow, your collar has a great look already.

These pics and your stats will surely help me in choosing my size.

Thanks again,

Michael :TOH:

You're absolutely welcome, sir.

If there is anything else I can do, other questions, whatever, please let me know.

You know, gladd96's post reminded me of something. Long time ago, I asked a question to the gurus here about what color leather I should order, or in other words, which color was closest to Indy's jacket. The responses were varied, and each pointed to a different jacket, different maker (only had a few back then), and different types of leather. Someone in their wisdom pointed out that no matter what original color Indy's jacket is, no matter how much distressing was done to it, the color is what we, the viewer sees. To me, this jacket looks like the jacket Indy wears. Of course, my US Wings CE looks like it, too. But, this one, to me, really looks like the Indiana Jones jacket. Now, as far as screen accuracy goes, I know it isn't. Probably not even close to any of them in any of the movies. This one, though, just fits.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Just out of curiousity, how wide is the gap between the back and shoulder seam? I've seen wide ones, but never one THAT wide! :shock:

As long as you're happy with it is all that matters. :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

yeah, that caught my eye too. I was like what???? that looks to be a 1,5'' gap.

the front of the jacket and the skin itself looks awesome... :tup:
DoubleOhSeven
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by DoubleOhSeven »

Holt, Michaelson, it's close to 2".

Kinda wierd, huh.

The CE I have isn't that wide.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

wow. I would send it back ASAP.

2'' is just ridiculously big...

front looks awesome but the back?...
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree with Holt. Call them up and explain what's going on. You shouldn't be out one red cent either.

-TS
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I ordered a hero in a tall size. It was a moment of insanity when I placed an order for another jacket. I thought for $214 all in how could it be a bead deal? It wasn't a bad deal at all - in fact I really like the leather. However, I wish I had learned my lesson after all this time. I have owned US Wings jackets in the past. They are a fine jacket for what they are. They seem to be rugged, nice leathers etc....but for me - I put them on, look at the large sizing, look at the gaps in the back and think "why did I do this again?". I will probably wear it from time to time with lots of layers. The gap prevents a lot of puffing out of the action pleats (which is good) - and the leather on the hero is really nice. It just seems to lack character on me (granted it's mostly due to the extra room in the fin in the sleeves, etc.)

To me, the Hero reminds me a lot of the old Disneyland jackets (when they actually had jackets that resembled the Indy jacket). It's nothing more, nothing less. Despite it being made in Pakistan, it's an ok jacket. But I think I am done with wings jackets now.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

I understand your feelings, nicktheguy. The fit is just looser and baggier than I am used to for a leather jacket. I think I might grow to like it in the winter when I have some layers on. There is something more functional about the jacket since it fits the way it does, but function isn't always the most flattering! I can't layer with my Westeds at all really. They just weren't built for that.

As to the leather, the Antique Cowhide still blows me away. It is a great looking, feeling, and smelling leather. It IS NOT water resistant, though. You would have to turn to goatskin for that.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I was considering ways to shrink it up - and yes, that feeling of the naked cowhide is amazing. If there was a way to shrink it up without disasterous results, I would be open to suggestions. I have heard of people wearing them in the shower, etc....
gladd96
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by gladd96 »

nicktheguy wrote:I was considering ways to shrink it up - and yes, that feeling of the naked cowhide is amazing. If there was a way to shrink it up without disasterous results, I would be open to suggestions. I have heard of people wearing them in the shower, etc....
I don't know if it shrunk so much as it just reshaped but after wearing mine in the rain it has a much better vibe in terms of the way the fit looks. The basic problem is the shoulder to chest to sleeve ratio is out of whack; even if you were able to shrink the girth of the body, you're going to have issues with the fit of the sleeves or shoulders.

It will be interesting to see if the new "legend" is in fact more fitted. If it is I could see that as a much better alternative though frankly my Nowak CS scratches my itch to have a screen accurate Indy jacket and I actually enjoy having a second jacket with a relaxed fit and a cool Indy vibe.

I'll try and get some photos and measurements posted next week. I'm 6' 1" and go about 195 lbs with a 36" waist and 32" inseam. For reference, my CS jacket was built to Ford's specs and my Wings is a large long. My CS is a very close military fit and the sleeves and hem hit me about half to three-quarters an inch shorter than how they fit Ford in the film. The Wings jacket very loose and about 3" longer than where an Indy jacket would traditionally sit and the sleeves hit just about perfect... anyone with over a 35/36 dress shirt sleeve length will have issues. Oh an I don't like the fact the Wings has patch pockets... it's annoying that my hands can't fit all the way in!

Boy oh boy I love this leather more every day! I was looking at the jacket today in the sunlight; it really reminds me of the leather from TOD.
sharkboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sharkboy »

one thing I noticed is that when I shrank one of my jackets up by soaking, the sleeves puckered at the wrist and the lining stuck out of the jacket. I think it's because the sleeves shrank and now the lining is too long. I'm going to have to get the cuffs re-seamed unfortunately. so, soak at your discretion I guess. that being said, the body of the jacket was shorter and more slimming.

SB
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

gladd96 wrote:

Boy oh boy I love this leather more every day! I was looking at the jacket today in the sunlight; it really reminds me of the leather from TOD.
I can see that. It would make a great TOD
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Holt wrote:wow. I would send it back ASAP.

2'' is just ridiculously big...

front looks awesome but the back?...
Agreed 100%. After all the discussion back and forth between Wings and this site regarding that gap, that's almost a challenge to see if anyone at COW really notices details like that. That enormous gap completely defeats the reason for the action pleat. :?

I'd send it back, and tell them you know better, unless you're just happy with the fit.

It's entirely your call, of course.

Regards! Michaelson