Re: Duster...

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Wait, that's not quite what you had in mind, was it? :lol:
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

Are thinking something like an oil cloth duster/drover, Man from Snowy River type or more an American western type? I had one once, most water proof thing I've ever had. Saved my neck a bunch of times on the range.
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

I know the CC Filson ones are supposed to be nearly the best...if not THE best.
Joeyeah_right
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Joeyeah_right »

Are you thinking of going for a cloth Duster coat _, or a leather one? :)

Joe
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I don't have much experience with dusters, but I'd favor a cloth/canvas one over a fully leather one any day. I think it would be more durable and flexible in use and look better aesthetically, too.
that_dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by that_dog »

"Elaine, did I ever tell you about the time I spent the night on the summit of Kilimanjaro with nothing but a pack of chewing gum and my classic horseman's duster?"

http://www.jpeterman.com/Mens-Outerwear/Duster
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I realize that J. Peterman is supposed to be nice stuff, but the one thing that bugs the snot out of me is that they only show illustrations of their products, and never any actual photographs of them. I get it that they're known for their illustrations, but it'd be nice if they would show an actual product shot. That's the reason I'll never buy from them. I seldom like buying anything "sight unseen."
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

http://www.sheplers.com/mens/dusters/leather_outerwear/

I wore the short length one for 10 years. Can't be beat for weight and durability. When it got real cold, I just put on a vest underneath. For rain and working off a horse, I think that they are the best. If you ever get over to Spokane, Whites Boots has quite a few.
ThatManFromRio
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ThatManFromRio »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Image

Wait, that's not quite what you had in mind, was it? :lol:
This one is to be worn with tights ...and maybe a leather jacket ...with LH zip ...

TMFR ;)
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

From having tried one on, I'd say a leather duster would have no practical value at all. It's heavy, even when dry, not very flexible, and inhumanely expensive. Go with oil cloth/canvas. :tup:
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

I was in the market for a few years back. (Although neve got around to picking one up...)
The oil duster is the best way to go. And definately go with Filson, you won't be disappointed.

http://www.filson.com/products/shelter- ... oduct=1015

Although the direct price is quite a bit higher then what you can get it for from DM or some of the other places on the net.

You can also find them listed as Drovers, from Austrailia.
http://www.downunderweb.com/store/Cloth ... Coats.html

(You can pull off this look, right?)
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

I think that really you're just going with style. The American versions are usually more plain (no half cape). Sometimes they are just plain canvas too. I used to wear one in high school. They usually double as girl repellant. I'm surprised that your wife "wants' you to get one. You can't argue with the pedigree of a Filson, but both Australian makers (Drizabone and Kakadu, and probably a few others) make good products. I'd just shop for a style that you like.

ps- You can remove the cape on the Kakadu long coats. I actually just looked at some of their waist coats and they have some cool designs if you like the half coat. I like theirs better than most.
http://www.bestaussieouterwear.com/?c=9 ... rs+Jackets

I like the Kings Cross. Kakadu was what I ended up with for an Australian long coat.
Last edited by Rundquist on Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
that_dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by that_dog »

_ wrote:Now if I could just locate an Urban Sombrero... :-k

The horror... the horror....
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

I actually used an image link by accident up there. I actually fond the Kings Cross for less than a 100 bucks (I already have a long coat). Curse you _. I don't need another jacket that I only wear when it rains (in LA, lol).

http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Kakadu- ... 4/Cat/1530
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I remember when he used to be referred to as 'Heckboy' in the forum. ;)
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Dalexs wrote:I was in the market for a few years back. (Although neve got around to picking one up...)
The oil duster is the best way to go. And definately go with Filson, you won't be disappointed.

http://www.filson.com/products/shelter- ... oduct=1015

Although the direct price is quite a bit higher then what you can get it for from DM or some of the other places on the net.

You can also find them listed as Drovers, from Austrailia.
http://www.downunderweb.com/store/Cloth ... Coats.html

(You can pull off this look, right?)

Yes, Filson is a great choice as well! I wore out a pair of their tin chaps after 5 years of daily use. THe only thing that I don' tlike abou their Dusters is that they get very stiff.....almost to the point of anyoing.

On another note, I never wore my cape on my Outback.
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

I have the J. Peterman Alternative Duster. It is shorter than the original duster, but everything else is the same. It is my go to coat. I love the thing. I did have one of the original, longer J. Peterman dusters, it was just to long for my 5' 10" frame. So I sold it to a guy I used to work with and got the shorter, alternative duster. I will see if I can get a picture up tomorrow.

Bink, I know what you mean about buying sight-unseen. But, my wife and I have never bought anything from Peterman that wasn't great. The illustrations are actually really close to the actual product. My only complaint about Peterman is that they don't have much of a variety in their clothing. But, my wife loves their vintage style dresses. I think she has five of the 1947 dresses.
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

I've had an Outback Trading oilskin for years and it's great for keeping dry and warm.

Note the "warm" part! I've worn it down Yonge St. in Toronto in the depths of winter with a fresh gale blowing in my teeth and just an oxford cloth shirt underneath and been uncomfortably warm. You may not get a lot of use out of it where you're living. You'll also find that it's fairly heavy and a bear to pack. When you're traveling it's easiest to wear it, and you don't want to know about trying to get it into an overhead bin. #-o I also learned the hard way that an oilskin will pretty quickly stain the cuffs of a dress shirt. :oops:

If you're specifically wanting to stay dry on a horse-packing trip look for a lightweight slicker, if you're riding in dusty, dry country go for a duster (originally lightweight linen to keep your clothes clean, they were also worn by early auto enthusiasts). The oilskin was originally a seagoing item and was so good at keeping out the wet that it became amphibious and is now seen more on dry land than at sea.

LJ
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Oilskin or waxed cotton (same thing) offer many of leather's qualities. I own 4 Drizabones. My favourtie looks like your standard Belstaff Trailmaster - close to the jacket Will Smith wore in I Am Legend.

The shoulder cape on the Aussie style dusters look a little naff to me Patto. And if you're a larger man with already broad shoulders, you may have trouble getting through a doorway. You will cernainly draw attention to yourself. I think the longer coats by Filson are very good looking items.

I terms of quality go for 8 to 12 Oz cotton. Drizabone, Filson and Barbour are the best makes. Kakadu and the others are pretty ordinary and if money is no problem, why compromise?

Actually duster is probably the wrong term for these. They are raincoats. Dusters are light untreated cotton designed specifically for preventing the dust from settling on your good suit whilst riding a horse.
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

I know there has been alot of advice, but let me tell you, if you really want something that will go with the whole western thing you really need to look at ranch wear vendors. They sell gear that real cowboys use and have used for years. A cowboy duster is not a lightweight thing, it is made from heavy duty cotton canvas, made to withdstand heavy ranch work. check 1880western wear.
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

Here are pictures of my J. Peterman Alternative Coat/Duster. It is the same at the original Duster, just shorter. The lining also (from what I remember) extends a little lower on the original, maybe to the bottom of the pockets. Other than that the details are the same. The original duster is actually rather long. I'm 5' 10" and it was nearly dragging on the floor. This is by far my favorite jacket/coat.

Image Image Image
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

I have a below-the-knee, unlined, brown Kakadu with a corduroy collar and a removable cape. It looks good, and is great in just about any temperature as long as I do what I usually do when its cold - layer appropriately underneath. I havent oil/waxed it in a long time, but it was pretty waterproof years ago. I think I paid about $100 for it.
Joeyeah_right
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Joeyeah_right »

_ wrote:Thanks for the feedback gents! After all the hymming and hawing, this is what Kelly and Ms. Macy's came up with for my approval.

I approved. Belstaff Trailmaster. Will Smith wore one in "Legend" which I have not seen - nor had I any inkling to see... Hmmmm...
Now that's a nice looking jacket! :) :TOH:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Those are great jackets. I'd have one if it weren't for the pricetag. :Dietrich:

Worked for Will killing zombie-thingies. You should check out the movie. I thought it was well done, though I have not read the original story.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

:-k Are those pockets even remotely screen accurate to anything? :Plymouth:

Thats an awful lot of snaps to be wearing in public...
Needless to say totally opposite direction from a duster.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Duster...

Post by Dalexs »

Well then, open mouth, insert foot! :)
Kittlemeier
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kittlemeier »

Little tidbit, it's Trialmaster, not Trailmaster. :TOH:

It was "inspired" by the earlier Barbour International, but the Trialmaster is a better looking jacket in my opinion.

Light reading. Plenty more if you want to look.

http://sportinglifemag.blogspot.com/200 ... staff.html

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

_ wrote:CM was right with the cape-thingy...
"cape-thingy"? :-s

I LOVE it when you get technical, _! :rolling:

Regards! Michaelson
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Where is the picture of the Robin Hood Merry man in tights who usually pops up? He would look great in a duster with the cape-thingy :-k
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:lol:

I just told MY girls if a guy got near 'em, shoot 'em.

So far, so good! ;)
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Michaelson wrote:
_ wrote:CM was right with the cape-thingy...
"cape-thingy"? :-s

I LOVE it when you get technical, _! :rolling:

Regards! Michaelson
Yep, that's what we call them over here in Oz - Genuine stockman's duster with cape thingy.

Patto, don't overlook Barbour or even the Drizabone Jacana ($300 Aust from Everythign Australian) It's made of 12 Oz cotton and tough as nails. Come in black. Consult with Sam for sizing. They fit reasoanably trim. Looks a lot like a Belstaf and in fact Drizabone used to make Bestaff under licence.
Kittlemeier
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kittlemeier »

_ wrote:Well it is s cool looking jacket - but I have to say I see too much of the M42 Jump Jacket to give design credit to Belstaff or Barbour Intl. The length, pockets and belt are pretty much straight from the GI issued jacket. JMO...
It is similar but the Barbour predates the jump jacket by several years. It was introduced in '36.

Also, I'm assuming the name Trialmaster comes from the jacket's use in racing Trials, as in the International 6 Day Trials.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Kittlemeier wrote:Little tidbit, it's Trialmaster, not Trailmaster. :TOH:

It was "inspired" by the earlier Barbour International, but the Trialmaster is a better looking jacket in my opinion.

Light reading. Plenty more if you want to look.

http://sportinglifemag.blogspot.com/200 ... staff.html

The Barbour International was worn by Steve McQueen at the 1964 International 6 Day Trial, apparently:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_0FjPCtl8nPY/S ... jacket.jpg
Graeme
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Graeme »

If you're going for a Belstaff Trialmaster then try to hunt down the motorbike version rather than the fashion version.

This is because:

(1) The motorcycle jacket is actually quite a bit cheaper, at least in the UK:
(2) It feels significantly more durable than the fashion range model.

Belstaff also do it in leather, which looks very nice.

One thing, however, is that the motorcycle jacket does include armour, but I think that's removeable.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Here's a question, if the original intent was to get a coat that's longer so you aren't soaked from the waist down, will the Belstaff really accomplish that? Technically it extends below the waist, but it'll bunch up to some extent when you're in the saddle so I don't think you'll stay all that much drier than you were in the G1.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

That makes sense. I looked at the picture of Steve McQueen wearing the Barbour International and see it's better coverage.

And for free? It's all good. :D

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
that_dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by that_dog »

_ wrote:I'm a big proponent of free!
Don't tell your clients! :-$
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

The oilskin, duster or slicker will cover the saddle and your legs on horseback.

http://www.amazingaustralia.com.au/images/drizabone.jpg

http://www.1880westernwear.com/product_ ... =350&h=350

Free is great, and Kelly's taste (except possibly in men) is excellent, but you'll need an appropriate lower garment as well as the Trialmaster to get the benefit you're looking for.

LJ
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

Here's a vision for ya. He needs chaps! :Dietrich:
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Well, if you can't find anything that works, don't forget we also make our own waxed cotton in brown, dark brown and black. And we now know how to size a jacket for you! ;)

Kind regards,
Magnoli
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

_, Magnoli's suggestion sounds like the one to me....

Magnoli i just sent you a PM.....How much for an adventurer raiders in waxed cotton?
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Our Adventure Jacket in waxed cotton is $395.

Kind regards,
Magnoli
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

If somebody gets you in a sweater vest, I want to see pictures! :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

oooh, maybe a Holiday one with reindeer on it? or snow flakes... yeah, pics indeed!!!! [-o< :lol:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Not tonight, honey, I have a sweater vest.
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

My daughter snapped me in mine announcing at local horse show this weekend.

LJ

( :shock: But I'm still at my playing weight from high school!)
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Thanx.

230 for me as a defensive tackle. You could be a lot smaller and still be a big guy back then.

LJ