somewhat OT: the ultimate A-2 repro?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

that_dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

somewhat OT: the ultimate A-2 repro?

Post by that_dog »

Not to distract anyone from the ongoing US Wings saga, but since Indy's jacket was based in part on the USAAF A-2 and some posters here have also expressed an interest in A-2s, I thought I would share my most recent jacket acquistion -- an A-2 repro made by John Chapman of Good Wear Leather. John sent me pics of the recently finished jacket over the weekend and in my humble opinion it is simply the finest A-2 jacket I have laid eyes on. I asked John for a reproduction of the Bronco Manufacturing A-2 in russet horsehide. Details of this contract include pointed collars, beveled pocket corners, no collar stand, and bar-tacked hangers. Originals frequently sported light olive drab stitching and chevron Crown zips. I asked John to include all of these details, making this (to me) the ultimate Bronco repro, bar none.

Without further ado....

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/Bronco_No1_44/
Last edited by that_dog on Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: somewhat OT: the ultimate A-2 repro?

Post by Cowboy »

What a handsome jacket! Looks to be tough as nails. Congrats.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

If that doesn't scratch your itch for obtaining the perfect A2, well, I don't know what will!

Regards! Michaelson
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

That guy does incredible work. Enjoy it!
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Yes, I absolutely agree. John makes the most authentic A-2 out there. Absolutely brilliant. Enjoy!
that_dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by that_dog »

Thanks for the kind words. John does fantastic work -- he's the Tony Nowak or Adventurebilt of the A-2. If you want the best A-2 repro possible, give him a call. He's a one man operation and I would expect demand and prices to go up if and when the economy starts to pick up. He's plenty in demand now as it is....
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

That is BEAUTIFUL :clap:
singsingjohnny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by singsingjohnny »

Very nice!

:notworthy:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

love it!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I just picked up an Eastman Rough Wear 27752 which I love, but I really like the look of what comes out of the Good Wear shop! You'll have to post pics of you in it when it arrives!
that_dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by that_dog »

John makes quite a few original label repros, including 2 Werbers, 3 Rough Wears, 2 Dubows, 2 Aeros (under a different name due to trademark issues), United Sheeplined, Star Sportwear, Doniger, Spiewak (again, under a different name), Perry, Poughkeepsie... plus a couple of the "no name" labels, several WWII Navy jacket patterns and some civilian models as well. He is a virtuoso of 1930s-1950s American leather jackets.

_, if you want to see some of John's work up close, ask GL... John made the jackets for Red Tails... there must be one or two in the archives, if not the boss man's office....
that_dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by that_dog »

From what I understand, John made the jackets for the principals, with RMNZ/The Few providing some A-2s for background characters along with some B-10s. (Speaking of which, I would beg John to get into the cloth jacket biz as I would LOVE a repro USN 37J1 [think an A-1 made of jungle cloth] but I'm pretty sure he's going to stick with leather. :lol: )

As for the "slippery slope," I'm already pretty far down it... there are days when I look at John's site and wonder, "Would it really be so crazy to get one of each?" :shock:
that_dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by that_dog »

LOL! _ asking me for help! Will wonders never cease! :P

I will be happy to put in a good word with John, for what it may be worth. My suggestion would be to call him (his number is on the GW site) and let him know what you're looking for and why. He will appreciate someone with your knowledge and enthusiasm for jackets. I know he has made size 50 A-2s and Navy jackets in the past, so I don't know why he has limited the sizes available at this point. Maybe sourcing skins big enough?

In any event, call the man, you won't regret it. And for the record, I really hope he does it. I think our resident jacket authority (authoritarian? :lol: ) should experience the work of John Chapman personally.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I have NEVER wanted one of those, until I saw that pic. I...HATE...YOU...ALL ](*,)

Travis :TOH:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

_ wrote: In fact - I wore the cape skin Bronco pattern to the QM last year. In the scrapbook section if you find a pic of McFly and I swapping lids? That jacket is the Bronco.
Here you go, P. :TOH:

And just because... Here's my Eastman Rough Wear 27752. It still needs to be broken in, but I love this jacket! And yes, I bugged _ and IndyDawg PLENTY when doing my homework!

I'll be sleeping in this jacket soon enough! :lol:
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

If I remember what John said, they mainly wanted Rough Wear, Bronco and a few Werber for Red Tails.

I'll second the advice, _. Well worth getting the "itch" back for. John has about 18 makes of A2 jacket all well differentiated and described, plus some other styles. He can recommend a style for comfort, or base your pick on a jacket you've seen in historical pictures.

And yes, John is a pleasure to deal with.
that_dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by that_dog »

This is what you call "coming full circle." My initial interest in repro A-2s was first piqued several years ago on this very site by you, _, and your posts on the subject and the obsessive "stitch counters" of the A-2 crowd. It resonated with my longstanding interest in WWII aviation (I soooo wanted a leather "bomber" jacket when I was a kid) and the fact that my grandfather served in the USAAF in WWII as a navigation instructor. So of course I began to poke around in the subject just when John Chapman was getting Good Wear off the ground, and my first order was placed in early 2008. The rest, as they say, is history. The fact that my latest jacket is helping to prod the jacket guru to get back into the A-2 pool is too delicious. At the risk of mixing my metaphors I am very happy to have helped (re)light this partcular fuse.

Bink, the Eastman looks great. A few months of wear over the fall and winter will do wonders for it. Did it come with a repro Crown? I wish those zips were available to other makers; the chevron Crown is IMO the ultimate piece of A-2 hardware and to get one on the GW I had to pay quite a bit for a NOS one. Smart of Eastman and Buzz Rickson to only sell the repros on their own jackets, I suppose... it definitely adds something to the jacket. (The Talons are nice too; my other GW Bronco has a NOS Talon which is pretty cool.)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

dog, mine has a NOS Talon. The 1401 has the crown repro, but Eastman's 27752 has the Talon. That makes the jacket that much cooler. I really am looking forward to breaking in this jacket. I've heard of folks sleeping in their jackets to break them in (hence my comment) but once it's cool enough out, it'll be worn inside AND outside. ;)

I'd love to get one of Chapman's jackets someday. I sold off my unused PA system for the Eastman. It'll be a while before I have that much dough again for a jacket. He's got some great looking patterns, though!
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

John Chapman's work is second to none. I've been lusting after these jackets from afar for over a year now. His Californian Ventura jacket is the one I want. I finally have a real job after years as an unemployed/ full-time do-gooder volunteer/ graduate student, so I am preparing to buy one sweet jacket. I'm between John's Ventura or an Aero 30's halfbelt in jerky seal horse.
Flyderf
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Flyderf »

Holy smokes! Now that's an A2 a pilot could be proud to wear. I need to stay off these boards. Anyone have the number to Leather Jacket Addiction Hot line????
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

_ wrote:
Forrest For the Trees wrote:John Chapman's work is second to none. I've been lusting after these jackets from afar for over a year now. His Californian Ventura jacket is the one I want. I finally have a real job after years as an unemployed/ full-time do-gooder volunteer/ graduate student, so I am preparing to buy one sweet jacket. I'm between John's Ventura or an Aero 30's halfbelt in jerky seal horse.
That is a fine looking jacket as well. On the aero? Good choice of hides. I've had a few in the FQHH and while it us exotic, the danged stuff bruised me in my efforts to break it in. The jerky stuff is beautiful and soft. I have a 23rd FG (flying tigers) Aero pattern (russet with berry knits) and it is outstanding.

The half belt is classic!

Kelly's hidden my wallet... Hmmmmm...
Yeah, I can't mess with that Front Quarter Horsehide. I'm in Texas, so it isn't even an option anyway. I've seen photos of those FQHH jackets standing up on their own, and that just scares me! The jerky horsehide Aero is using on their A-2's seems to be much more suited to my needs and taste.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

can't believe this topic surfaced......i just recently acquired a US authentic HH a2 in seal brown. can't hold a candle to a goodwear by any stretch of the imagination (great jacket btw), but i am quite impressed with shaul's construction and the indestructible nature of the HH he uses. the downside......the wwii name tag patch is far from authentic and my AAF decal looks like it was laser printed on vinyl and stuck on....you could even see the lines in the colours where the printer couldn't flange up with the resolution of the file image. AND....it says 'U.S. ARMY AIR FORCES' underneath in the correct font. man, when i saw that i went running for my pocket knife with thoughts to scrape it off..... ](*,) i think shaul should fire whoever is the authority for insignia over there. great jacket otherwise.

of course not even a week after she sat on my shoulders, the inaccuracies started eating me like a cancer.....called up amanda at aero to help me quench my a2 fires. got a real deal jacket on order......live and learn. i did some pretty extensive research with all the big hitters: eastman, goodwear, mccoys, buzz rickson, yadda yadda yadda. maybe i should of just ponied up for a mccoys or goodwear at the start....would've been cheaper in the long run.......but of course, not as much fun :lol:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

No doubt those of us attending the QM should compare our jackets! I know I'll be wearing mine. (I even slept in it last night to help break it in. :anxious: )
Flyderf
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Flyderf »

Beautiful jacket Bink! I like that model. I love the seal brown vs. the russet, although the 1401-P model is pretty sweet as well. Hey That Dog, thank you for sharing this info. I never knew Good Wear existed. I emailed them today.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Thanks! Funny thing is that they originally sent me a Rough Wear 1401 by mistake. It gave me a chance to try it on and to check out the russet, though. It, too, was a size 40, but it fit me a bit big. My 27752 is also a Rough Wear in size 40, and apart from some aesthetic differences, the fit is supposed to be about the same. However, this one fits me FAR better. It just goes to prove the above arguments!
that_dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by that_dog »

I am extremely gratified by the response to the jacket, and very happy to spread the Good Wear gospel. John Chapman is a topnotch craftsman and a great guy, so I am glad to help him succeed in whatever small way I can.

Of course, I'm probably upping the wait time for my next Good Wear order, and who knows, maybe helping lead to a price increase down the road, but what can I say... John deserves every success in this venture. Order a Good Wear and you will not be disappointed.
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: from Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil but living in Beirut, Lebanon

Post by tekors »

Beautiful jacket Bink... it has style!!!!
:TOH:
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

They are local to me, I definitely need to drop in and check them out!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Thanks, tekors! I'm waiting to see pics of dog in his jacket!
that_dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by that_dog »

It's here, and it's awesome. I'll try to get some pics up over the weekend.

John Chapman is a genius with the A-2. That's all I can say.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Here's an authentic wartime A-2 pic that I got from Dave Marshall. Talk about quality control. :Dietrich:

Most people know that during the war, A-2's were all over the place. This is a prime example of one that was at the "other" end of the spectrum. Though I posted this years ago on the Fedora Lounge and it was heralded as a fine jacket, just because it was original. I was told that I was just trying to stir the pot. :[
I did not dispute the historical significance of a picture like this of course. But one guy said that he would be proud to wear it. Proud. :rolling:
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Nice collar!!! :shock:

I can only imagine if someone here got one like that!!!
In all honesty though it really doesn't surprise me. I served 6 years in the service and every article of clothing I owned had one issue or another... It's called lowest bidder contracts :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Regarding that WW2 used A2, I guess it's all in your perspective of an item, Adam.

I met the fellow who was proported to own the Bonnie and Clyde death car. It was in the 'Great Race' across the U. S. back in 1988, and stopped in Tallahassee, on one of their scheduled time points, though there have been dozens of fakes offered as being 'the car'.

Anyway, that car was shot to @#$%, and looked absolutely awful.

That said, its historical provenance was indisputable, and it's place in history solid......but as an example of a 1934 V-8 Ford, it was a terrible example! :roll:

;)

Regards! Michaelson
that_dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by that_dog »

Rundquist wrote:Here's an authentic wartime A-2 pic that I got from Dave Marshall. Talk about quality control. :Dietrich:

Most people know that during the war, A-2's were all over the place. This is a prime example of one that was at the "other" end of the spectrum. Though I posted this years ago on the Fedora Lounge and it was heralded as a fine jacket, just because it was original. I was told that I was just trying to stir the pot. :[
I did not dispute the historical significance of a picture like this of course. But one guy said that he would be proud to wear it. Proud. :rolling:
You know who made that A-2, don't you?

Cooper Sportswear.

:rolling:

And no, I'm not joking... compare the labels....

Kinda ironic given the recent US Wings/Neil Cooper drama, huh? Oh well, maybe I'm the only one who finds it funny.

But Rundquist raises a good point... originals were frequently made in a rush, without much attention paid to the details. This is why the availability of high-end repros like Good Wear is so good for us jacket nuts; we can get jackets that are made to fit us, with great attention to detail, and yet still closely resemble the originals. Plus we don't have to worry about wearing a fragile or expensive piece of history.
Graeme
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Graeme »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:I can't mess with that Front Quarter Horsehide. I'm in Texas, so it isn't even an option anyway. I've seen photos of those FQHH jackets standing up on their own, and that just scares me! The jerky horsehide Aero is using on their A-2's seems to be much more suited to my needs and taste.
If you're going for a lighter grade of leather then I'd suggest Aero's Oil Pull horsehide. It's got a different, duller finish, but it ages up spectacularly.

As for the Gospel of St. John, being a Brit I'm not sure if I could get away with an A2. I actually like the look of the Electra, which is a copy of Amelia Earhart's jacket, but would swap the pockets for an A2 style.

that_dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by that_dog »

Brits in A-2s, training stateside....
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Anyone can wear an A-2. Heck, the German officers would steal them off of prisoners and wear them as part of their uniform.
Flyderf
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Flyderf »

Spoke to John at Good Wear today. Awesome guy to talk A2 jacket history with. I'm going to send some measurements to see what jacket might work best for a larger frame. I'm a 48 chest, 38 waist, so jackets are usually tight in the shoulders and upper back. He recommended the Dubow. I like that style and the Rough Wear 27798.
that_dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by that_dog »

Congratulations, and my condolences to your wallet. :TOH: The Dubow and RW are both great patterns; I was set on a Dubow 27798 in seal horse before my love for the Bronco pattern kicked into overdrive and I decided to get a second one. The Dubow may very well be my next GW, in a couple of years.... most of my disposable income will be going to an expensive trip to Russia next year, so the new Bronco will have to hold me over for some time. I think I can manage; at least, I hope I can.

And this forum is directly to blame for my leather jacket addiction. The stable now consists of 1 Tony Nowak Raiders in 747 cow ca. 2009; 3 Good Wear A-2s (one goat Bronco ca. 2008, one seal horse Perry ca. 2008, one russet horse Bronco ca. 2010); and 1 Aero cafe racer in midweight black horse ca. 2010.

When I mused out loud about my next A-2 last night, my wife looked at me as if I were a raving lunatic. She is astounded that someone can own more than one leather "bomber" jacket, let alone more than three. I tried explaining to her how different they all are from each other, but she just looked even more concerned about my sanity. Women, eh? :anxious:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Just tell her some men collect wives instead of jackets. :lol:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I have an uncle that used it as a hobby. I wouldn't recommend that, either. ;)
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Could be worse...you could make jackets out of wives! :Dietrich:

"It puts the lotion in the basket..." :Dietrich:

Travis
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

:-0
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Bink, I don't even want to KNOW what you entered into Google images to get that pic... :-0

Travis

ps please clear out your Google search history, because the day that federal prosecutors break down your door, one look at that and you are going down...you are going down to China Town... :lol:
Last edited by Hollowpond on Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyderf
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Flyderf »

binkmeisterRick wrote:I have an uncle that used it as a hobby. I wouldn't recommend that, either. ;)

One wife (20 years this October), many leather jackets. She has all ready picked out an anniversary band that equals many, many leather jackets. I'm not complaining.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

No, Travis, you don't. :lol:
Flyderf
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Flyderf »

binkmeisterRick wrote:No, Travis, you don't. :lol:

Now I'm curious Bink.....give us a hint.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Flyderf, there is nothing to see here, move along! I'm not listening, LALALALALALALALALALALALALALAJust pm him if you have to Bink, but like I said I don't want to know!

Travis
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

That is one sharp jacket! Looks like a living, breathing piece of history.

Weston
Flyderf
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Flyderf »

Weston wrote:That is one sharp jacket! Looks like a living, breathing piece of history.

Weston

If you like the jackets, you need to make a trip up to Oshkosh, WI for the annual airshow (last week of July for 8 days or so). The war bird section is incredible. I make it a point to try and go every year. That is truly living history.

Check out this short video. http://www.eaa.org/video/airventure.htm ... 1703414358