a2 indy jackets

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

a2 indy jackets

Post by Indiana G »

i pulled the trigger with shaul at flightjackets.com for a 'great escape' inspired a2. i'm not a serious enough player to go with eastman, aero, lost worlds, or buzz ricksons offerings (just yet) so i thought this would be a nice intro the a2 world (btw....eastman's real deal is comparable in price to flightjackets when all is said and done....i know most die-hard enthusiasts would go with eastman....but 2 months for a jacket??? thats a deal killer for me....and probably a fault of mine too...:lol:). i know rundquist has a g&B a2 collection that could suit up a whole bomber squadron ;).

i've heard about this jacket being used as 'close nuffs' back in the day before westeds or flightsuits....or maybe even before lee keppler? just wanted to know how the jacket scene was from some of the old gaurds. was it discussed alot or just left alone because everything was 'close enough' back then? did anyone distress their a2's to get them more indyish? did anyone buy gauntlet style work gloves to cover the wool cuffs? :lol:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Re: a2 indy jackets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Indiana G wrote: ....but 2 months for a jacket??? thats a deal killer for me..
How is that any different than an order from Wested, Riely, or any other custom jacket maker? I'm sure supply and demand also plays a part to a degree. Were you hoping to deal with Eastman in the UK, or via History Preservation Associates here in the US? Regardless, good luck with your jacket.

I do remember a lot of bomber jackets being worn back in the day, so to a degree, I bet most people didn't even know the difference!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I wore an Avirex A-2 for years before Raiders came out, then removed the knit cuffs to try and match what I THOUGHT I saw on screen. I had no clue the real Indy jacket was going to be such a decade long trial. I was perfectly happy in my A2 all those years. :(

Regards! Michaelson
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Another great choice is Good Wear, John Chapman's shop in Seattle. He's a one-man show so the waits can go out to 6-9 months, but oh my, perfect repros and a host of A2 contract choices. He's also making M-422 Navy jackets and some riding jackets, but no Indys.

If you get the itch and develop the patience for a custom A2, he's a great guy.
www.goodwearleather.com
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

binkmeisterRick wrote:
Indiana G wrote: ....but 2 months for a jacket??? thats a deal killer for me..
How is that any different than an order from Wested, Riely, or any other custom jacket maker? I'm sure supply and demand also plays a part to a degree. Were you hoping to deal with Eastman in the UK, or via History Preservation Associates here in the US? Regardless, good luck with your jacket.

I do remember a lot of bomber jackets being worn back in the day, so to a degree, I bet most people didn't even know the difference!
wested was always about a month if that and same with big tony. i have yet to order anything from riley so i don't know. i was dealing with a very sweet lady at HPA in regards to the eastman....in the end, i knew shaul makes a heck of a jacket and follows instructions precisely so i thought i'd see how good his bread and butter offerings are.

wasn't it such a nicer time when people didn't know the difference?....then all this technology got the better of us :shock: (and the first person i would point the finger at is me...... :( ).

tibor.......i did look at goodwear leather's products.....pretty authentic....but 10 to 14 weeks was the dealkiller there :(

so....can you tell i'm impatient about my mail order products?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Heck, the vast majority of the public STILL can't tell a difference. :lol: ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

I know... the wait is agonizing...

I have gotten better though. I try to leave Steve Delk alone to his steaming and brushing and hope he's getting some peaceful porch time with a good book now and again.

What I've admired in Good Wear was the absolute accuracy, deconstructing originals to make patterns and noting the variations from one contract to another. Great web site, huh?

But yes, the waiting is not for the faint of heart. I love all the choices around but have reached a point where I prefer a custom fit. Now, should USW decide to offer their Neil Cooper in calf custom made to measure ... I'd be happy to send over my $800+, but for now I'm excited about the offerings they're making and got on the list pretty early, as soon as I read about it. That will probably be the only non-custom I keep in the closet.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

_,

maybe my initial post sounds too much like i was settling for shaul's product. that couldn't be further from the truth so i may have misrepresented. based on all the research i did on vendors, i found flightjacket's a2 offering to be the best product for what i was wanting.

a2's, much like indy's jacket, attract a wierd crowd. there are some eastman/rickson owners that won't give you the time of day if you choose a us authentic to represent your wwii passion with :lol: statements such as yours and some of the talk that i've heard on TFL tells me i made the right choice :TOH:

iirc, you got a 'vintage horsehide' jacket from shaul back in the day?

good luck on finally getting your real deal x2. its good to finally complete the circle. in my acquisitions, i find if i have to wait too long on delivery....i buy way too many things in between and then lose interest of what i get when it finally comes. it depresses me so i usually pay for expedited services. it is an illness that i try to cope with :?
Kittlemeier
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kittlemeier »

_ wrote:
Oh - as to the wait? Yeah - I've been "waiting" for my Bates X2 for 4 years... It'll ship between 8/17 and 8/31. Major snafu...
I've heard they were slow but four years?

You gotta post pics when you get it. Be far the best looking Logan jacket in my opinion. Did they offer to darken the burgundy and mustard or is that left up to the customer?
Adirondack Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Adirondack Jones »

I wore a Schotz A-2 during the early '80's. Turned the knit cuffs up so it'd be closer to a Raiders jacket
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Last winter, I bought an Eastman "Pearl Harbor" A2 jacket. I got it in about a week. The jacket looks absolutely incredible and the details and distressing makes it look very authentic to the period....easily blows away Flightsuits A2's. .....worth every penny!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I'll let you know when my 27752 comes in a week or two from now. ;)
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

.... #-o .... :-k ......I dunno. What was he thinkin'? ;)
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Well actually, you might just wear one in Cairo, but you'd never, ever wear one in the South American jungle. ](*,)