rinse, wring, and repeat

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

indy81
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

rinse, wring, and repeat

Post by indy81 »

Hey everybody, here's an idea that I haven't tried yet, but am curious if it has been done by anyone else. To distress a wested lambskin by getting it soaking wet, wring out the remaining water by hand, and let it air dry. Once this is done, crumple it up with your hands and repeat the process, but not giving it the pecards afterwards. Would this possibly give it a worn look, after several times I'm sure :wink: , if nothing else reduce the shine. I'm all for naturally distressing my gear, no chemicals I mean. I've had my lambskin for a almost two years and worn the @#$% out of it, but I still think it's too shiny. Let me know what you think, thanks.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Well, I think it be great.... for shrinking your jacket or causing the leather to dry out. One of the FIRST things recommended after a good wetting of the jacket... usually from being caught in the rain... is applying an ample amount of conditioner once the leather has dried.

I'd seriously stay away from this method of distressing... unless the result sought after is a distressed owner of a ruined jacket.

Mike
indy81
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indy81 »

Thanks, that's one of the reason's I never did try it. Guess I'm going to have to resort to the recommended sandpaper trick. :lol:
indy81
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indy81 »

I live next to a huge chet pile so I guess I could always just take a tumble down it. Sure it wouldn't feel all that great :wink: , but it's pretty natural I guess. Plus there's some old stone mining buildings around that look quite intriguing.
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Check this thread out.

http://www.indygear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3461

How cool is that lambskin?
indy81
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indy81 »

That is sweet! :D Now how in the world do you get it that perfect. It's probably chemical.
Koreana Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Koreana Jones »

HAHAHAHAH!!!! My jacket returns! More glory for Koreana! Yes it was acetone. If you look futher down on that thread, I explain how I did it.

Best Regards,
Jun
indy81
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indy81 »

It's very nice Koreana. I happened to look farther down the page after I said that. :lol: Think I'll print it off just so I don't forget in case I get brave enough to try it.
indy81
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indy81 »

I like your location too. Ministry of Silly Walks, that's somewhere in England right? :wink:
Koreana Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Koreana Jones »

Dude... Don't get me started on Monty Python, Spinal Tap, Mr. Bean, Benny Hill, British humor in general. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Don't bother MK... He is no help at all. :wink:

Best Regards,
Jun
indy81
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indy81 »

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
JrZyBud
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by JrZyBud »

Hey Koreana, that is one sweet jacket youve got going there. Any chance you could do mine? I dont think I could muster up the courage to take acetone to my own jacket. I need someone else to do it for me. Ive thought about doing it quite a bit, but the whole idea still scares the heck outta me. Ahhhhhhhhhhh . . . oh well, maybe I will give it a try one day when Ive got like 5 westeds, but for now I only have one.