Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Striver
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Tightness of side straps

Post by Striver »

Dear All,
I'm relatively new here, but starting to feel at home. I have a Wested Raiders Goatskin. I love it - it fits me perfectly I think (ok the next Wested I get may need to be 2.4 mm shorter in sleeve length :wink:). But I have a question: how do you all feel about how tight the side straps should be done up? Clearly this affects the tightness around the "waist" and the open-ness of the side vents/flaps (sorry, tired, end of week can't remember the approved term...). At present mine are drawn up pretty tight (to within about 1 inch of complete vent closure).

Have a good weekend y'all!
Regards,

Striver
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I'll offer what I do, and my reasoning....with my arms down to my side, I have my wife (or in your case, somebody who understands what the heck you're doing :wink: ) loosen my straps until she sees the action pleats closed completely from top to bottom of my jacket. She then snugs the straps until she just sees the pleats starting to open at the top (which they will, as pulling the straps to tight causes the tension to move upward), then backs it off slightly. That's my set, as now anytime I move, the pleats will adjust to what I'm doing, but close back when my arms are back down to my sides. Any tighter than than, your pleats will constantly gap open at the top, and eventually sag outward from the strain of the to-snug side straps. Straps to tight also causes strain at the point that they're sewn on your jacket, as anytime you zip your jacket and move your arms around, instead of your action pleat moving with your 'actions', (that's why they're there!), your strap is pulling tighter and tighter against the seam of your jacket. It can (and in most cases WILL) finally cause the threads to pop, creating a repair that could have been avoided. Bear in mind...your straps are there for adjustment of the pleats, and NOT as the side anchors of your jacket! They're strong, but not THAT strong.

That's the method to MY madness regarding the side straps! Regards. Michaelson :arrow:
FLATHEAD
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by FLATHEAD »

With your straps adjusted like that, does the back of your jacket
go completely straight down your back? Or does it go in slightly
around your waist where the straps are, and go back out again
slightly over you waist/hips?

I hope you can see what I mean? I like to adjust my side
straps so that the back of the jacket is just straight all the way
down.

I have seen people's pictures where they adjust the side straps
so tightly, that the jacket really bulges out past the straps, and
over your waist/hips.

Flathead
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

In my case, straight up and down (even with the bulge that has somehow developed around my middle over the years :roll: :wink: ) Regards. Michaelson
Striver
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Striver »

Thanks for this advice Michaelson. In the past I've merely been using the side straps to get a good (tight-ish) fit at the waist - regardless of any effect on the action please. But I have been a little concerned about them "gaping"... I reckon MAYBE my side straps are too tight (as I said, to about 1" of closure).... I'll try the old "understanding wife" idea....

Regards from Wales,

Striver