New Pecard's product

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

New Pecard's product

Post by Michaelson »

Well, here's the promised Pecard's news that I mentioned a month go. Pecard's now has a new weatherproofing dressing that has coloring agents in it! It's called, well, Pecard Weatherproof Dressing and comes in black and brown only. (code numbers PWD4-BL and BWD4-BR, 4 oz tubs). This is not a dye, but is a coloring agent that can replace lost color that occurs in distressed leather, as well as scratched or abraded areas, while conditioning and weatherproofing smooth leathers. It also rejuvenates surfaces. I can see this as an aid for both groups, as it will help put dressing on scratched jackets as well as recoloring those areas damaged from use, while it adds another tool for the distress fan for their pallet of tools in working over their jackets. I can see this as an aid for those little distressing jobs that have gone awry. Pecards keeps their eye on our site, and saw a possible need for this type of product. We own them a HUGH thanks for keeping our interest in their product development. Regards. Michaelson
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

Have you had a chance to test it out, Michaelson? What form of application does it come in? Liquid? Jell? Paste? Does it do everything the regular Pecard's dressing does with the addition of the coloring agent?

This could be an extremely welcome product for those looking to have a darker bullwhip right away. Yep, I see a ton of light bulbs that just popped up on that one. And Sergei just made a dash for the Pecard's secure server! :)

-Kyle
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Yep

Post by Michaelson »

I guess I could have been a bit clearer in the description, couldn't I? (grins) On opening the tub, it has all the appearance and feel of standard Pecards dressing. What immediately came to MY mind was the infamous orangey Aldens and this brown Pecards dressing! :idea: (are you out there reading this, Jess? :wink: )Regards. Michaelson
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

I might have to get some when my jacket arrives!
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Great news, Michaelson! Can't wait to get my hands on some of this stuff. If this will help darken the color of my Alden's, it will be a welcome product. For the last couple of months, I've been using Visine daily on them and it does NOT get the red out! Doh! I wish I could just leave those kinds of comments alone!
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Indiana Jess wrote:For the last couple of months, I've been using Visine daily on them and it does NOT get the red out!
You have me rolling here! LOL!

Jess, let us know how the boots turn out if you do go this route.
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: New Pecard's product

Post by Rixter »

Michaelson wrote:Pecard's now has a new weatherproofing dressing that has coloring agents in it! It's called, well, Pecard Weatherproof Dressing and comes in black and brown only...This is not a dye, but is a coloring agent that can replace lost color that occurs in distressed leather, as well as scratched or abraded areas, while conditioning and weatherproofing smooth leathers...
Well, maybe it’s just me, but this intriguing little bit of news hasn’t yet seemed to have garnered as much attention as I would have thought it would.

Of course it’s possible that the potential for these products exist only in my own imagination, perhaps from some ill conceived notion of what they ACTUALLY do, but I will certainly be interested in learning more about these two “coloring” agents from the more adventurous amongst us that already have some leather gear that would benefit from such products - hopefully before mine does. ;)

...hmm, Visine on Alden’s, IJ, - it took me all weekend, but it came to me just a few moments ago. I Get it! :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Agreed

Post by Michaelson »

This news hasn't exactly set the world on fire, has it? I mean, here's a product that was developed by Pecards to help fight the problems disacussed ad nasium of toning down the 405's, darkening the whip right out of the box, and either 'fixing' a damaged spot on the jacket or toning the jacket for the 'distressed look' crowd, and it was pretty much received in a 'ho-hum' way, or totally ignored. Oh well. All I can do is report what's been introduced and why. Sooner or later it will be 'discovered' and hearlded as the do all, FIX all product it was originally designed as, and you few and I will just sit back and know we already had access to and used the product for a while. It's not like this hasn't happened before regarding other care products and new gear. I'm kinda used to it, but I could tell you stories..... :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

The product will pick up speed. My tub of dressing is about to run out so you can guess what I will be getting next. Besides, it will work well on these inexpensive whips I have invested in.

Pyr
Leather_Loco
Vendor

Post by Leather_Loco »

Michaelson,

Thank you for reviewing our new black and brown dressings. Your opinion goes miles ahead of whatever a manufacturer says to everyone on Indygear.

A little about the new products....we decided long ago not to get in the dye business for various reasons. I didn't see anything wrong with 'tinting' our leather dressing though just as long as everyone knew that it wasn't meant to 'dye' leather. The difference will be obvious to anyone who uses the dressing and wants to change a red piece of leather to brown or black. It won't do it. It will darken the leather a little, especially if you leave the dressing on for a long time before wiping it off.

I don't own a pair of Aldens or I would have tried the dressings on them. I would appreciate any feedback on the results if anyone tries it.

Regards,

Loco
Michaelson
Knower of Things

I plan to...

Post by Michaelson »

...as I do have a pair of the new design Aldens. I just haven't had the chance yet, but will indeed do the, uh, deed. Stay tuned. Regards. Michaelson
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Re: I plan to...

Post by Pyroxene »

Michaelson wrote:...as I do have a pair of the new design Aldens.
"New Design Aldens?!" Did I miss a post?
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

I wouldn’t expect that anything would change the color of the current Aldens except perhaps tripping in a bucket of brown paint, which you may likely do with their current crop of improperly put together separating shanks. (I exaggerate) :wink: But I’d be interested in seeing the effect this product has on the US Wings or Wested predistressed cow over the current jell/dressing.
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

Michaelson,

For what it's worth, I think this is good news. I just ordered some of the brown weatherproofing dressing today. My Aldens are all ready at home soaking up some of the classic dressing as we speak (getting ready for my trip next week). So I probably won't be trying it out on them. But I do plan on using this new stuff on one of my bullwhips to see what it will do to the natural tan. I'll keep you informed.

BTW-It only comes in a 5oz. container. So my guess is that you would only need to use this stuff once to darken the leather a bit and then use the classic dressing for subsequent conditioning.

-Kye
Leather_Loco
Vendor

Post by Leather_Loco »

Just to make a correction....it comes in a 4oz container.

Loco
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

Duh! :roll: I guess I should have taken the time to glance at the darn order form laying right next to me. :roll:
Leather_Loco
Vendor

Post by Leather_Loco »

Think that's bad?!?! How about me going to the web page to make sure that I didn't write it down wrong and seeing that I didn't upload the pictures of the new dressings! :oops: I should be thanking *you* for bringing this to my attention.

Loco
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: I plan to...

Post by Rabittooth »

Pyroxene wrote:
Michaelson wrote:...as I do have a pair of the new design Aldens.
"New Design Aldens?!" Did I miss a post?
Michaelson has a pair of the earlier Adens that were not the orange color we associate with them today. I think he's just referring to his newer Aldens which are orangy? Orangish? Orangesque?
well...kinda orange.
:P

-Rabittooth
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

I agree Rabbytooth, New design=Orange clown shoe aldens. Whenever someone does use this dressing please post the pics Id really like to see what happens!
Cheers! :)
Indiana_Jonesing
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana_Jonesing »

Great news!

Thanks for the post, Michaelson.

I just got a tub of the Jell, but when next I place an order, I'll definitely add this "tinting" lotion to the batch.

Thanks, Pecards.

-Jonesing.

Oh, and I seem to remember a few posts where folks were trying to darken their holsters . . .Yet another gear piece ripe for this new product!
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Indiana_Jonesing wrote: Oh, and I seem to remember a few posts where folks were trying to darken their holsters . . .Yet another gear piece ripe for this new product!
Yeah, I might have to get some for my holster.
Indiana_Jonesing
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana_Jonesing »

I couldn’t wait . . .I just purchased a tub of the Brown Weatherproofing! The prospects were just too enticing to wait any longer. I do have a question for Michaelson and the Pecards experts, though.

I remember it being written, several times, that once a particular type of leather dressing was used on a gear piece, that same dressing must then be used every subsequent time. For example, I couldn’t go from the standard dressing to the jell, or vice versa.

Does this apply to this new Weatherproofing as well? The gear pieces I intend on applying it to have already been treated several times with the “old standby” leather dressing. Is this new Weatherproofing dressing interchangeable with the standard dressing I’ve been using? And, even better, will it be interchangeable with the jell as well?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Jonesing
Leather_Loco
Vendor

Post by Leather_Loco »

It is a little confusing isn't it. This is the scoop:

All the dressings, Jells and oils are oil based.

The Leather Lotion is water based.

The Silicones are silicone based. :wink:

--------------------------
If you use the oil based conditioners and then try to use the water based lotions you won't get good penetration since the residual oils left in the leather will repel the water.

If you begin with the lotions and then switch to the oil based conditioners you won't have a problem since the the oil will coat the polymers from the lotion.

The silicone dressings should only be used on dry tanned leathers such as Nu-bucks and suedes *unless* you want to switch the leather over to oil tanned but once you do this you can't go back to silicone based dressings.

Whew! I sure hope this makes sense to someone...

Loco
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

That is something I didn't know. Leather_Loco, thanks for watching this site and checking in from time to time to help us become more knowledgeable consumers. It's people like you and others around here that make this a unique and interesting hobby.

Best Regards,
Pyro.
Leather_Loco
Vendor

Post by Leather_Loco »

I'm just posting until I get a little red hat over on the side there... :D
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

Leather Loco (Eric from Pecard I think?)
Thanks for the help and putting up with our barrages of questions, here and on your website!
Cheers :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Well, I did the dirty deed

Post by Michaelson »

Before anyone asks, no, I do not have a digital camera in which to take pictures, so I can only report on what I've done....I applied the new brown Pecards to my new orange Aldens 405's. To say I'm pleased would be a definite understatement. They are now an exact match to my old Alden 405's that have taken 3 years to achieve the dark brown coloration with the slight red tint. I really wasn't suprised, as I've always expected great results from any Pecards product, and to date haven't been disappointed, but this delivered exactly what I hoped it would. I plan to do what Eric suggested and will leave it on the shoes for a couple of days before buffing, but the orange disappeared, and they're great looking shoes now. Now, I'd appreciate someone like Austin Powers giving this a go, as I know he was the one of the folks REALLY disappointed with the orange 'clown shoes' that he received. If he still has that pair, I'd like to hear his reaction to application of the new brown Pecards. I'd think he'd be pleased, but I'd appreciate his input. Indiana Jess, this is is. I'm so pleased with the results so far, I believe I'll be retiring my Meletonian shoe cream and replacing it with this product. I was polishing then Pecarding my old 405's anyway. This way I eliminate one step and get the same results. I suggest you apply with a cloth. I always apply Pecards with my hands, as recommended by David Morgan years ago, as you can feel what areas need treated by the feel of the leather, but this stuff will stain your fingers slightly....no more than a standard shoe polish, but it does leave a slightly tint. The cloth application worked fine. I recommend this new item highly, and would appreciate the next hearty soul that attempts it to use their digital camera and show what I'm talking about. Wish I could. Regards. Michaelson
Leather_Loco
Vendor

Post by Leather_Loco »

Good new indead! You hit on another use for the brown dressing though...if it tints your hands a little bit then I suspect that if a person were to apply it to their face they would look as though they had been out on a dig for a couple of weeks in the desert!

Stop!!! I was just kidding. Now wipe that stuff off son!

Loco
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Let's not go there!

Post by Michaelson »

I may have to move this topic to another area! (grins) Regards. Michaelson
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

Good review, Michaelson. Every couple months I've been cleaning my Aldens with Lexol, polishing them with Meltonian brick cream, dressing them with Pecard classic and then letting them soak for three or four days. I just got through doing this procedure and buffed them off last night. My 405's are once again a rich dark red/brown. You'd never guess they were the bright orange color when I got them. However, I have noticed that when the boots get really wet (such as in the rain) or get kind of dry they loose much of the brown and become very, very red.

What I'm curious to hear from your experience with this new product is if your 405's retain the dark brown qualities over time. Staying brown through scuffs, repeated wetting and drying, etc. Also, could you give us your thoughts on whether or not you think this is a product that only needs to be used once then the classic subsequently, alternate between the two or as a total replacement for the classic dressing if wanting to retain the darker color?

-Kyle
Michaelson
Knower of Things

My thoughts?

Post by Michaelson »

Yes, I do believe it will indeed hold, as the Pecard's soaks into leather, and if you alternate between the standard Pecards, and this new brown for touch up, I believe we'll be good to go. Of course, I'm only saying this due to past practice with the other Pecards products, and personally have never had my Aldens turn red when wet. I've also never applied the Meletonian shoe cream to the new 405 leather and have only relied on the tried and true standard Pecards to coat the waxy new finish. I've had better luck that way, as all I've EVER had to do is to buff out any scuffs my new boots have suffered, and have never NEEDED to apply shoe polish or creme. They've gotten a little darker, but were still, well, orangey colored. They sure aren't now! Time and wearing will now tell the tale. Knowing Pecards like I do, , though, I have no doubt this is going to fill MY needs perfectly, as if I ever DO experience a scuff, the brown Pecards will fill in as a touch up, and yet still be the same standard dressing as well, so I can altermate the new brown with the standard dressing without missing a beat. I'm pleased so far. Regards. Michaelson
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Michaelson, this is great news! Using both the Meltonian and then Pecards was rather tedious and besides, my Aldens are the only shoes I wear anymore and I just don't think I'd have the constitution not to wear them (even for a day or two). Knowing that I'll get the same brown color as yours is the one thing that will give me the discipline of not wearing them for a couple of days. Thanks again for keeping us all in the loop regarding this, not to mention testing this first for the rest of us Gearheads.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

More than happy

Post by Michaelson »

My practice to date has always been to either handle or personally test anything I talk about or recommend on the site. That's always been my practice. If I haven't handled, owned or seen one, I do not comment, say I don't know, or refer you to someone who has or does have the information. I think that's the ONLY way to do it, as without the personal experience, it's tough to discuss something. Sure, I can theorize all over the place, and will say that I'm doing so up front, but I'm not going to recommend something if I haven't had personal contact with the item. Just me and my weird view on things. (grins) Regards. Michaelson
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Does the brown Pecards you tried turn the white stitching to brown or cause the stitching to discolor slightly? I recall Pyro at the last TX summit mentioning he prefers using Pecards to darken his Aldens because it doesn't turn the stitching another color.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

I looked...

Post by Michaelson »

...and yes, it did color the stitching with this one application, though not yet to the level of my old 405's. To be fair, those have been polished and Pecarded for several years now. But to answer your question, it did affect the thread coloration as well, and after 24 hours of sitting on the boot untouched. I have not buffed yet, and don't plan to until this weekend. Regards. Michaelson
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Indiana Texas-girl wrote:Does the brown Pecards you tried turn the white stitching to brown or cause the stitching to discolor slightly? I recall Pyro at the last TX summit mentioning he prefers using Pecards to darken his Aldens because it doesn't turn the stitching another color.
I probably didn't explain myself clearly when we were talking. I remember reading on an old COW post that somebody didn't like the white stiching on the boot. I, on the other hand, like it and don't want to lose it. When I work around the stiching with dressing, I am very careful to touch it as little as possible. I mainly focus on the stiching around the toe (fig. 1)and the top stich around the ankle. Working with something like shoe polish I stand the possibility of permanantly coloring the stiching. Whereas the dressing is more forgiving if some gets on it. Sorry for the confusion.

Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Nah, I followed ya right. When I said you prefer using Pecards to darken your Aldens because it doesn't turn the stitching another color, I meant: you prefer to use Pecards as opposed to shoe polish since the Pecards won't discolor the stitching. I was curious (since this is a Pecards product) on whether this new formula with the brown and black tint would change the stitching color. Yes, it's easy to misunderstand on posts here. I apologize if I wasn't clear in the first go-round.

Thank you Michaelson for answering the question up above. This new Pecards sounds like a great product for Orange Aldens. [/i][/quote]
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

:wink: Thanks for being the so called "guinea pig" Michaelson! This will be my next purchase....I just wish I hadnt bought that Melatonian a week ago....I havent even had a chance to use it, and now Im not going to! Oh well.....
Cheers
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Glad to help

Post by Michaelson »

Regarding the stitch discussion, it's really a moot point here, as if you don't apply any of the new brown Pecards on top of the threads, as you've been doing in past practice, the threads will stay exactly the same as before, the original white color. The New product just eliminates the need for the application of the Meletonian shoe creme, or at least has on my 405's. BUT, that said, just like the shoe creme, if you apply across the stitches, it WILL darken up the threads, just like past practice with shoe creme and Pecards applications. Hope that helps. Regards. Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Final report

Post by Michaelson »

I finally buffed my boots after allowing the new brown Pecards to stay on them for several days. I used a clean cotton cloth to remove the 'tackiness' we experience from heavy Pecards dressing application, then a final buffing with a pair of panty hose. The results were excellent. They retained the color, and are a dead on match to my well worn 3 year+ old 405's. Not a hint of the orange now. I'm pleased. Now time will tell how the coloring will handle wear and use, but I'm very happy with the results to date. Regards. Michaelson
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

Yes, that's what I'm wondering about, how it will handle scuffs and scrapes. Most of my heavy scuffing is on the back of the heels for some reason.

Also, I've always been told in almost everything I do like, painting, enameling, varnishing, et. al., that several lighter coats is preferable to one thick coat. I'm not sure if this applies to using Pecards though. Is there some reason that you need to apply one big heavy coat.

One other thing that I've been very curious about is will this product turn something like Pyroxene’s distressing project with alcohol he mentioned in the “Distressed Wested Lamb” topic somewhat back to the jackets original condition, if so what would you use to protect the distressing he achieved without altering his results.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Yes, it will

Post by Michaelson »

It's a product mainly aimed at those who want to dull or eliminate the orange before starting the distressing process over again. I'm not one of those...I keep mine looking in good shape, as I wear my 405's all the time. The reason I use the one heavy coat practice as it's a petroleum based type product, and it will allow the product to penetrate more evenly, as if you apply a thin coat, you may get mottling (a possible preferred appearance for the distressing folks. I don't know) effect in the coloration. After this initial treatment, I'll use a light coat from now on, as my boots have now achieved the color I currently want. As to how well it does with use...I don't know yet, and won't until I've worn my boots for a bit. I'm pretty tough on the toes of mine, for some reason, but I think it's from my office chair, and equipment racks in my control room. Regards. Michaelson
LJHood
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by LJHood »

Michaelson, how much did the new Pecard's alter the color of the stitching? Also, if you want to keep the top stiching white, how do you do that while maintaining a consistent application of the dressing?

Finally, for new 405's, what is the procedure you recommend? For example, how heavy do you put the dressing on (what constitutes heavy as well) and also how long do you allow it to soak? Thanks.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Good questions

Post by Michaelson »

I'm wearing my treated 405's as we 'speak'. The threads are still white, but they've definitely taken on a 'tannish' tint that they didn't have before. As to the 'how' to avoid, I really don't have good advice on that, as I don't avoid mine like others do. Can anyone give some advice on how YOU go about doing that without leaving a line? As to my definiation of 'heavy', well, I took a clean cotton rag and pulled a decent 'daub' of Pecards on my rag and rubbed it on. With the orangy coloration, it's REAL easy to see what has and has NOT been covered. Once you have a completely even brown covering of the leather, you're there. I"m looking down at my boots now, and they're dead on in color to my old Aldens now. No orange appears at all in this overhead office light glare. Any scrapes I've experienced so far easily rub out using a clean cloth without any further application of product. So far, so good. Did that answeryour questions? If not, fire away. We'll try again! (grins) Regards. Michaelson
Indy_Chris
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Thanks Michaelson!

Post by Indy_Chris »

Thanks for the find Michaelson! I placed an order with Pecards yesterday, and can't wait to try it out! I had been debating over whether or not to start applying Aldens medium brown shoe cream, or just stick to the standard dressing which is what I had been using up until now. I have the leather lotion for my lambskin jacket, but have others found the motorcylce lotion to work better? Best, Chris
Leather_Loco
Vendor

Post by Leather_Loco »

Just a note: Pecard Leather Lotion and Pecards Motorcycle Leather Lotion are the same formulas....they are just labeled for different markets.

Loco
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

Just to note: I posted my findings on using this new product on kangaroo hide over in the Bullwhip section.

http://www.indygear.com/community/forum ... .php?t=882
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

I just received my Pecards Brown Weatherproof Dressing. I did a quick comparison smear vs. the Pecard Leather Dressing on a piece of paper. You can see there is quite a difference in color. I will be going home tonight to dress my Aldens.

I will let you know how it goes.

Pyr.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Pyroxene wrote: I will let you know how it goes.
Just FYI, I posted my findings in the Gear Care area.

http://www.indygear.com/community/forum ... php?t=1044