What's your favorite Indy gun?

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

IndyMaster
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

What's your favorite Indy gun?

Post by IndyMaster »

Hey fellow gearheads! I'd love to know everybody's favorite Indy gun. Mine is the Webley green. :#:
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: What's your favorite Indy gun?

Post by crismans »

Probably the Inglis. I'm a sucker for semi-autos.
IndyMaster
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndyMaster »

Cool. I kind of like Semi Autos to but I guess revolvers must appeal to me more. :mrgreen:
IndyMack
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyMack »

Always loved that Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector. Just something about revolver...
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

I've got to vote for the revolver he used in the Cairo street sceens. Those scenes are just so iconic. Besides, Indy is a bit of a cowboy and a revolver fits his character.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

I'm a fan of the S&W.

Semi auto's are nice, but in the desert/jungle or any other harsh environment, I'd rather have an old revolver. They are not picky about the brand of ammo you use and they practically never jam.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Another big Smith N-frame fan here as well! :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Gotta agree with :M: - Smith all the way! Image
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

I love the way the webley looks so I have to vote webley wg
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

S&W is mine!
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

1917 S&W

No other gun counts!!!! :TOH:
Pyramid Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pyramid Jones »

Tundrarider wrote:Image

Since you asked, I'll take this as another opportunity to show off MY favorite Indy Gun!!! \:D/

dang thats a nice gun!
Sebastian Arms
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Sebastian Arms »

Gotta go with the S & W. Mine is going to the shop to get its barrel shortened. Just placed an order for one of Wade's holsters.

I have my eye out for a Webley, but not likely to acquire one anytime soon.

Cheers,

Sebastian
ProfessorHenryWJonesJr
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Just shaking my head and laughing at the stupidity.

Post by ProfessorHenryWJonesJr »

Smith & Wesson Model 1917

And, taking a "cue" from COW Member "Tundrarider" :TOH:.....

Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

I don't know anything about guns, so I am just going to say this. I like the gun from the Cairo street fight, and the gun from Last Crusade/Crystal Skull. I don't even know what kind of gun Indy had during the shootout in the streets of Shanghai in TOD.
IndyMaster
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by IndyMaster »

I like the Webley Green, just because it is a very cool gun. I think it really fits Indy.
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

I'm still quite partial to the S&W. Love that pistol! It's why I picked my "RHKP" .38 Special as a "close-enough". :tup:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Gotta go with the Stembridge, myself. ;)
indy26
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by indy26 »

1917 for me
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dragonlady Jones »

Bapty all the way.
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Raiders pistols all the way! The bapty's ramp front site looks odd to me, but no where near as odd as the stembridge's wimpy little fin front sight...

So I say BAPTY!!! :tup:
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I love the Webley WG army model as well.
Ronski
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Ronski »

I'd have to vote the Webley. Something about it just calls to me.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Bapty was my first love... and still is (now if I could just actually OWN one!) :?

Worth mentioning, however, is that I DROOOOOL every time I see Tundrariders Webley...
Just gorgeous...
=P~
(See that? What'd I tell you? Drool!)
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Okay, Tundra twisted my arm; I'll play along. :D I like the standard Webley MKVI, lock, stock, and barrel:

Yes, that is a genuine Lee Keppler CS holster, but don't just take MY word for it: :lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT: 2500 posts! Woo hoo! :whip:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

After this many years? You HAD to have lost some posts in those old server crashes, Dale!!! :shock: ;)

Regards! Michaelson
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Yeah, I probably lost a few hundred in the crash of '02. But really, who's counting? :lol:
Lee Keppler
Vendor

Post by Lee Keppler »

I will go with the Bapty S&W 2nd Model HE. I'm sure Indy will (or has already) figure out that if you deepen the chambers, you have a perfect .45 Colt that will also fire .455 if you're in that part of the world. Nothing stops Nazis like a .45 Long Colt's 255 grain slug.
Fedora Jared
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Fedora Jared »

1917 S&W definately..
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

Your holster is DISGUSTINGLY amazing.

Just...wow.

WOW. I am throwing my 15 dollar one away until I can steal yours. What's your address again? =P~

Tundrarider wrote:Image

Since you asked, I'll take this as another opportunity to show off MY favorite Indy Gun!!! \:D/

IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

PM me IndyFanChuck. I've got info relating to Jake's holsters. :TOH:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Tundrarider wrote:Thanks! :D
This is the Crystal Skull version from Jake Johnson.
Here's a link to my full review of this awesome holster:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=42023
Jake is also a member here. Not sure if he is still producing these, but here's a link to his website if you'd like to contact him.
http://www.jakejohnsonmaker.net/
Thanks again,
Michael :TOH:
Michael, I realize that you've posted almost a dozen Comments (in various Threads) since the one I've quoted above ...but if I'm not mistaken, I believe that this Comment of yours was your 2500th Post!
\:D/
And perhaps more importantly, I think it might ALSO have been the Post that put you squarely into "Legendary Adventurer" Status (although I'm prepared to be corrected on my math: maybe you've been holding that status for a 100 Posts before that and I simply hadn't read your status in a while!)

Either way... Congrats, my friend!
:D :tup:

These numbers are, in my opinion, that much more impressive when one considers that so much of what you've written and shared here in this Forum is of the highest quality:
In general, your posts are usually well thought out, informative, instructive, insightful, helpful, generous, even-tempered, respectful and filled with polite language and a courteous demeanor that best exemplifies the kind of good-spirited nature that makes this Club a great place to come to.
In short, I think you set a pretty great example.
:clap:

I suppose what I'm also trying to say is, in my mind I guess you've been a bit of a "Legendary Adventurer" for some time now...
but it's nice to ALSO see you holding that status under your avatar!
;)

It's a great web-community title to have, my friend... and you wear it well!
All the Best!
Mitch
:TOH:
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

What is my favourite gun?

Why, my very own Canyon's sized gun, of course! :twisted:

Oh, you mean, Indy gun? Sorry, I got a bit carried away there :oops: and perhaps a bit inspired by our other board members. :mrgreen:

It would have to be a toss up between the Smith & Wesson 1917 hand ejector 2nd model ("Besides, you know what a cautious fellow I am) :lol: or the Webley Mark VI. ;) I also love the Colt as seen in Temple of Doom, even though you don't get to see it much. :)
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Hey Canyon, when you move to the U.S. you can finally buy a REAL gun, 'cause you're allowed to do that here! :D
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

_ wrote:Easy. The S&W 45 from Raiders. A powerful modified revolver. Lots of power and modified the way a mercenary would.

The Web is just so impractical. It's inaccurate. It's bulky. Who but a British officer would carry one?

Nope... The S&W 45... That's the gun.

Personally? I think the real Indy would carry a 357 magnum. Reliable revolver. Best balance of power and accuracy. I think the 357 magnum is THE best handgun ever made. Followed closely by the 1911 Browning HP. JMO...
I wholeheartedly agree with this entire post! And while Indy would certainly opt for the 357 over it, I REALLY like a .38! My Indy gun is a S&W .38 and I love it! Its a lot cheaper to shoot too. ;)

Travis
Alkali Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alkali Jones »

_ wrote:Easy. The S&W 45 from Raiders. A powerful modified revolver. Lots of power and modified the way a mercenary would.

The Web is just so impractical. It's inaccurate. It's bulky. Who but a British officer would carry one?

Nope... The S&W 45... That's the gun.

Personally? I think the real Indy would carry a 357 magnum. Reliable revolver. Best balance of power and accuracy. I think the 357 magnum is THE best handgun ever made. Followed closely by the 1911 Browning HP. JMO...
Hey _,

Love the flaming Terminator avatar! Just a question, did you mean the 1911 Colt Automatic Pistol, or the 1935 Browning Hi Power in 9mm? I love 'em both (and have them both!) but am unsure which you mean. I've never had the privilege of shooting or handling the S&W in .45 ACP, but I sure want to.

My favorite Indy gun is the Ingliss, I, like crismans, am an easy touch when it comes to semi-autos. 'Nough said. :TOH:

Dan S
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

_ wrote:Personally? I think the real Indy would carry a 357 magnum. Reliable revolver. Best balance of power and accuracy. I think the 357 magnum is THE best handgun ever made. Followed closely by the 1911 Browning HP. JMO...
She's a beaut ;) I have a .357 High Std. and love it. It'll put the whoopin' on the ol' bad guys when fetched.
Christian Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Christian Jones »

_ wrote:The Web is just so impractical. It's inaccurate. It's bulky. Who but a British officer would carry one?
Considering that Indy was wearing a Fedora and a leather jacket in the desert... a Webley doesn't surprise me :mrgreen: .
To me the Webley matches the character better than the S&W. Indy also has a unique look and the Webley is a gun you don't see that much in movies or in general.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

_ wrote: 44's are too much like a Web for me. I don't think dirty Harry would've really carried that canon. JMO...
Even Dirty Harry stated he uses .44 special loads in his model 29, which has the same comparable recoil as a .38 Special being fired out of a .357 mag, the magnum revolver having the heavier frame.

I perfer the .44 mag. myself. I've found the short barrel .44 mags are actually lighter in physical perceived weight than the .357 (less metal in the cylinder walls), can be loaded up with anything from snakeshot to bear loads and anything in between....and it 'booms' where the .357 'cracks' when shot.

Easier on the ears...at least MY ears. ;)

If I miss you, heck, the muzzle flash will probably burn you to death if you're close enough. :lol:

JMO too, but also based on a few years of field carry.

In concealed carry and urban situation, a 5 shot .357 is on my side.

Agreed on the Webley's. Wonderful looking guns, and fine battlefield weapons, but dodgy in accuracy. Owned them, shot them, really didn't care for them either. HEAVY in the holster too. Keep in mind, in a battlefield situation, you had a LOT of armed soldiers coming at you, so the chance of you hitting an enemy with that old Webley was a moot point. It made no difference WHO you hit, as long as you hit something! The Webley did hit, as long as the target was indiscriminately picked out, and it was expected to hit 'in the neighborhood' of said target. It did, and did it for the British soldier for over 100 years....but it was never made for target work. :CR:

The only reason Indy ever ended up with one in his holster in the first plast was Rob McGregor saw one in a gun store when he was working on the LC book, and thought, 'that's a neat looking gun'. No other reason but for it's looks. Logistics be darned. He told me that himself in a phone call several years ago. :roll:

The difference between the Smith and Wesson 1917's and the Webley's, both battlefield sidearms, is the 1917's (both Colt and Smith versions) were also used by the military target shooting teams, and were capable of extreme accuracy when the actions were fine tuned by the armory gunsmiths....something that top break revolvers like the Webley's were never made to do, as their very design prevented them from achiving any kind of real nail driving accuracy required for competition shooting.

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

If you do fire one with a short barrel, try .44 specials first. The muzzle flip is something else with mags if you're not ready for it, and I've actually seen folks bloody their foreheads when they cracked their own skulls with the end of their recoiling barrel! #-o

.44 specials are pleasant to shoot, and the gun is completely controllable. Actually pleasant to shoot!

I've also found Ruger Redhawk double actions are wonderful .44 mags., but their barrel rifling twist is counter to what Smith and Colt do, causing the gun to roll violently to the right in full recoil. I put 6 rounds through a friends Redhawk with full load 240 grain bullets, and the twist actually caused the skin on my thumb to split from the violent recoil and right hand twist. I instantly understood why folks prefer to use a shooting glove when firing those monsters. :o

It was one of those 'WOW!!!" moments, followed immediately by 'OUCH!!!!" :lol:

Quick story (you knew one was coming ;) ), same outing.....my friend and I were shooting at my in-laws, and my wife came out of the house with some scraps for our neighbors chickens. My friend asked if she wanted to shoot the Redhawk.

She said, 'no, thanks. I prefer .357 magnums'.

He said, 'Oh, are you afraid of a little recoil and the loud bang of a big gun?"

She glared at him, said 'hand me the gun'....which he did.

She put on ear muffs, and asked what we were shooting at.

He pointed at the paper target we had set up 25 yards away.

She took a two hand stance, and immediately put 3 shots in the bullseye in single action, then switching to a one hand hold and firing double action, her next two rounds clipped the 10 ring, and she used the 6th round to completely destroy the post we had setup our paper target on. There was nothing but splinters and confetti left of our target area.

She stood there looking down range, and without taking her eyes off the area, removed the ear muffs and handed the Redhawk to my friend (whose jaw had literally dropped to his chest), and without batting an eye or cracking a smile, picked up the scrap bowl, turned to go back to house and said over her shoulder,

" I TOLD you, I don't LIKE .44 magnums!"

I found out later she also had a headache that day. I'd like to see what she would have done if she felt better! :-k

My friend stuffed the gun in its holster, took it off and threw it in the back of his jeep in pure disgust. As far as I know, he's never shot that gun again, and that happened over 25 years ago! :lol:

Needless to say, I don't get into shooting matches with my wife. All those girls were taught to shoot by their Dad, and they're all scary. :CR:

Anyway.....

When I'm in full .44 mag mode, I haul out my Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 7.5 inch barrel. I've not experienced that twisting motion with the single action Ruger, but then it's probably the design of the plowhandle grip of the single action revolver that keeps it from happening. ;)

All that rambling aside, I'm also in the Smith and Wesson camp. I wish they had left well enough alone, but they jumped the rails by the 3rd film. :(

Regards! Michaelson
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I have to say, I love the Webley. It is, as MacGregor noted, a cool looking piece. But as a favorite, I'm a sucker for Smith & Wessons, and I have to go with the Cairo gun.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

What could it have been in reality? I'd say that if around the Raiders era, it might have been the good 'ol police 38 spec.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

If you're a student of the honest to goodness cliff hanger serials that Raiders was a tribute to, the weapon of choice always seemed to be the tried and true Colt Official Police in .38 Special with 4 inch barrel for both the good AND bad guys.

Tex is right on point.

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

My thought was that the way Indy goes through guns ;) he would have had his WWI surplus revolver of whatever make confiscated/lost/stolen, etc., a long time ago, so he might have used whatever was available and produced in mass quantities and in relation to being period/era specific? Guns are like chewing gum to the Indy man. :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Especially during that time period. They were simply tools to be used for work and protection. Period.

Regards! Michaelson
Scotty
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Scotty »

Call me crazy, but I dig the HP all the way....
Wish I could get one for a reasonable price.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Don't we all. :roll:

;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

No argument there. When I go 'plinking', I want to know I shot a revolver when I squeeze the trigger. If it doesn't 'boom' and jump in my hand, I may as well be shooting a bb gun.

That said, though, men of that time thought the .38 special was the 'cats' meow', as all they HAD been shooting at the time had been large caliber revolvers. The .38 was easier to pack, lighter in weight for both gun AND ammo, and still did the job it was made to do. As far as they were concerned, a 'win-win'.

At that time, though, we were a land of marksmen, not 'spray and pray' shooters. All they usually NEEDED was one shot.

So, different mindset of the day vs. today.

Like I said, I like the .44 mag as it's a one stop shot, if you miss the muzzle blast will burn 'em to death, or at least the sound itself will make folks duck giving me time to run in the other direction. ;)

Push comes to shove, I'll lubricate the outside of the revolver with bacon grease and throw it at the bear I may have just shot that refused to go down. The gun frame is big enough that it will occupy the bear just long enough in eating the gun so I head for the tallest tree I can find. Any extra lead time can help. :Plymouth:

Regards! Michaelson
Flawless Cowboy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Flawless Cowboy »

I love the Bapty version of the M1917. I'm working on making a rubber version now. Hope to get me a real steel one someday.
Alkali Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alkali Jones »

Hey Michaelson & _,

I'm starting to wonder how big you guys are?? :-k I'm a little guy (I guess), 5' 10", 150 lbs soaking wet. I'll be 52 in about a month. I love the 1911 .45 ACP. (I'm a little miffed Indy hasn't used one yet!) I find .357 a little hard to control. I never touched a .44 magnum or special. Don't want to.

If you guys find the .45 ACP BB gun-like, well, I hope I never face off against either of you!! ;) At work, we shoot .40 S&W. It seems like a good comprimise between caliber and capacity. As a kid (early sixties), I remember all the men had their DA .38s, cocked, standing with their support hands in their pockets, no hearing protection to be seen, firing away. I never wanted a .38, I dreamed of the day I could get a .45! So, you'll understand that it's a little weird for me to hear people calling the .45 light! 'Nough said. :TOH:

Dan S