what leather can i use for replacment fall

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

brooks
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

what leather can i use for replacment fall

Post by brooks »

hey guys it time for me to replace my fall and i was thinking of trying my hand at making my own falls but the only leather that i can find in my city is chrome tan latigo in a 5-7 oz

will chrome tan latigo work or will it not stand up to this type of use if any of you have any info please that would be great

and if it will not work does anyboby know of a place i can get a smaller piece of whitehide in canada or does anybody have a piece i could buy off of them

thankyou

lee
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: what leather can i use for replacment fall

Post by tomek9210 »

Check out Midwest whips website, they have usually small pieces of leather for cutting out your own falls. Shipping shouldn't be too expensive as you're in Canada.
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

They also have a great video tutorial for cutting, beveling, and rounding your new fall as well.
mlawson
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by mlawson »

Where in Ontario are you lee? I have some whitehide sent to me by midwest that I have used to cut some unfinished falls, I could sell you a some for cheap if you're interested.
brooks
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by brooks »

mlawson wrote:Where in Ontario are you lee? I have some whitehide sent to me by midwest that I have used to cut some unfinished falls, I could sell you a some for cheap if you're interested.
thankyou for the offer im not in ontario im out in edmonton alberta but i would be willing to pay for shipping to my place let me know what you would want for the whitehide and i will will pm you or email you my addy so we can figure out shipping
brooks
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by brooks »

mlawson i have sent you a pm abought the leather

thankyou
lee
ST
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ST »

Did you try the Tandy leather factory? My sister goes to collage in lacombe and when I visited her last year I almost went to Edmonton just to go there. They sell latigo strips that are about thick enough for falls. http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home ... Product_30
It's not white hide but I've been using the same kind of latigo bellies (which are not the good parts) fore my falls and they work well.
Hope this might help.
brooks
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by brooks »

ST wrote:Did you try the Tandy leather factory? My sister goes to collage in lacombe and when I visited her last year I almost went to Edmonton just to go there. They sell latigo strips that are about thick enough for falls. http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home ... Product_30
It's not white hide but I've been using the same kind of latigo bellies (which are not the good parts) fore my falls and they work well.
Hope this might help.

ST
thankyou for the info and link with tandys leathers
lee
Cracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cracker »

I would contact Paul at Midwestwhips. You know what your getting that way. There is so much difference in leather strength, and going with a known is better than taking a chance and finding out it is weak.