Indygear pic question

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Indygear pic question

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

On the following link there is a comparison of a flightsuit vs a Wested. Is the Wested pictured the dark lamb or the Authentic? I really prefer the color of the Wested in those pics and want to be sure which leather I'm looking at...

http://www.indygear.com/gear/images/Fs_vs_Wested6.jpg
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

It's the dark.
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

Ok, now is it me or does the dark appear more like the jacket does on screen? I know that the authentic was what was actually used and it all has to do with the lighting, etc. , but at least in my eyes on screen it looks more like the dark jackets I've seen. Am I completely out to lunch on this one...? :-s
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

I'm with you on that one Panama. I can't see the lighter jacket being the screen used color, although everyone says it was, including Peter.
The jacket looks almost black most of the time. I always thought the jacket had a wet look too it also, especially in Temple of Doom.
I don't mean shiny wet, but more like darkened and dulled, like leather looks like when it is saturated with water.
Anyone else see that? Maybe it looks that way in TofD because Harrison Ford probably sweated right through that sucker.
Lindiana
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lindiana »

don't know though I've got the authentic and every pic I have taken in it comes out looking black.
Lindiana
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

That's my point - I guess it depends if you prefer to go "authentic" or with how it appears on film. I just got done looking at a bunch of pics on Indyfan and TheRaider.net, and more often than not (to me at least,) it looks like the darker lamb...
billy3ci
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by billy3ci »

my assumption is that peter sent them the authentic lamb and that the film crew distressed the heck out of it and made it look very dark. to me, the dark brown lambskin looks more screen accurate.
Lindiana
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lindiana »

I'm sorry if you misunderstood my post, but what I meant was I have the authentic lamb like the originals used in the films, and when they are photographed, even though they are very much brown to the eye, they come out looking black. So that may be why the ones on film look darker, cause they just photograph that way. Case in point: Image
Lindiana
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

I don't really doubt that the "authentic" lamb is indeed authentic (Peter is, after all, the expert - if he says authentic, then I believe him.) My point is if you like the way the jacket looks on screen and want that look in person, dark seems to be the logical choice.
By the way Lindy, I think the your jacket looks great in the picture 8) - which proves my point on personal preference. I do have to admit though, after receiving samples from Wested, I think I may go with Lamb instead of goat - the feel of the leather sold me. Of course, I'll probably change my mind again in a couple of hours (minutes?) - "Indecision may or may not be my problem..." :?
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

*message deleted by the author*.
Last edited by MK on Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

Fair enough! :)
Lindiana
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lindiana »

Panama, just do what I did I bought the lamb first and then found a auth. goat for sale in the classifieds, so now I get the best of both.
Lindiana
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

:-k Hmmm... interesting...
Now, how to convince the wife... [-o<
Lindiana
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lindiana »

to tell you the truth my girlfriend didn't even know I had two jackets for about six months. She just assumed that which everone I was wearing was the "one and only" Wested I had. Which may also be a telling story to anyone who was wondering how the make and color of the authentic goat compaires to the authentic lamb skin. By the time she figured out they were two different jackets, they were both well worn and could not be sent back. The steps we take to accumulate our gear. :wink:
Lindiana
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

With a several grand in guitar equipment, you'd think I'd figure out how to fly the gear in under the radar.
Great. Now I've got TWO expensive hobbies... ](*,)