Nowak Indy1 "Temple" Jacket (w/ New Raiders Comparison Pics)

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Nowak Indy1 "Temple" Jacket (w/ New Raiders Comparison Pics)

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

Hatch wrote:Neutron could you and/or Yohimbo go over the process again maybe with a few pics or drawings still not 100% sure on the 'where shoulder seam meets collar tip and direction of creases etc'.......thanks
Hi Hatch, sorry, could you clarify what you want to know?

MODS - btw, I'm happy for the _ stuff to be in here - honoured even :) - especially as it sheds new (read: old) light on the sorts of little differences that are the point of this thread.
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Yohimbo, Just the basics, maby with little more detail about how the shoulder seam should be lined up to collar tip or whatever when wetted down to get the collar crease as in the temple scene...
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Hatch wrote:Has anyone gotten a NEW Indy1 lately, different leather,tweaks etc, looking to match a particular scene or look.......seems like a new pic dry spell..... ;)
gimme about 3 weeks ;)
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Indiana G wrote:
Hatch wrote:Has anyone gotten a NEW Indy1 lately, different leather,tweaks etc, looking to match a particular scene or look.......seems like a new pic dry spell..... ;)
gimme about 3 weeks ;)
Another one? Man I'd say you're hooked :lol:

We'll see how hooked I will get, but I don't think I will buy that many ;)

Regards, Geert
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

Hatch wrote:Yohimbo, Just the basics, maby with little more detail about how the shoulder seam should be lined up to collar tip or whatever when wetted down to get the collar crease as in the temple scene...
The main trick is to just really get the collar wet, scrunch the heck out of it, then mold it as per the scene you want to copy. In the case of the temple look (outside well of souls, etc) just curl it really tight under and down with your finger on that side of the jacket only, and make sure that the edge of the collar lines up with the collar to shoulder seam. (This will change the collar fold line, so you need to keep pressing, massaging it to bed it in.)
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

gwyddion wrote:
Indiana G wrote:
gimme about 3 weeks ;)
Another one? Man I'd say you're hooked :lol:

We'll see how hooked I will get, but I don't think I will buy that many ;)

Regards, Geert
this ones special......i'm taking a trip to LA just for this jacket. personally sized up, and speced on-site.....i'm hoping to spend a day there to do that.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Indiana G wrote: this ones special......i'm taking a trip to LA just for this jacket. personally sized up, and speced on-site.....i'm hoping to spend a day there to do that.
I think you'll have a blast there judging by how nice it is talking to him over the phone. Unfortunately being in the Netherlands means that going over to meet him is a bit too costly for me.

So tell me, are you going for something special like Yojimbo did with the varying grain? I have to say that I was tempted to do so myself, but decided to let Tony use what he thinks replicates the leather on the jacket he copied best.

Regards, Geert
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

gwyddion wrote:
Indiana G wrote: this ones special......i'm taking a trip to LA just for this jacket. personally sized up, and speced on-site.....i'm hoping to spend a day there to do that.
I think you'll have a blast there judging by how nice it is talking to him over the phone. Unfortunately being in the Netherlands means that going over to meet him is a bit too costly for me.

So tell me, are you going for something special like Yojimbo did with the varying grain? I have to say that I was tempted to do so myself, but decided to let Tony use what he thinks replicates the leather on the jacket he copied best.

Regards, Geert
i have no idea....i don't even know if it'll be an indy jacket.....it most likely will be.....and it most likely will be in goat but i want to see what he's got at the shop to find out for sure....i also really like clooney's jacket in leatherheads, which TN made as well. i'll find out when i get there.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

I'm heading down at the beginning of June. For some reason, I'm guessing that 000 is just my size and I'll just say make it like this only in ____ leather. I was thinking of making it as an award to myself for completing my first 100 mile race (the reason why I'll be in SoCal)...but I think I want the jacket even if I don't finish :)
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Indiana G wrote:
gwyddion wrote:

Regards, Geert
i have no idea....i don't even know if it'll be an indy jacket.....it most likely will be.....and it most likely will be in goat but i want to see what he's got at the shop to find out for sure....i also really like clooney's jacket in leatherheads, which TN made as well. i'll find out when i get there.
G, I just saw that movie again on cable (the jacket is about the only entertaining part) ...loved the jacket ....looks like would compliment your 'Roughneck' well.......also ask him about the new Bruce Willis jacket and post or pm me some pics or info on both ,please......
Mattdeckard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mattdeckard »

Excellent jacket! Now I want some shrunken lamb.
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

Aaarrrggghhh! Embarrasing photos! Go away! Go away!

The big mistake I made was increasing the length of the sleeves without doing so to the body to match. I do concede that in this case, A5 and Platon were correct. Looking at these comparisons makes me feel very happy that my most recent Nowak is spot on, thank God.

But boy, did that develop some beautiful grain between then and when I sold it. Once Dan has those sleeves shortenes, it'll look great on a non-monkey-armed person!

I'm not sure if Riley is going to stock the Mk2 Shrunken Lamb in future - you'll have to ask him when he returns.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Well, YJ got a new shrunken lamb jacket since this one. the new thread is right there on the top of the page. since this is over a year old thread why not let it rest? If YJ want this thread to be put back to bed then just say the word :TOH:
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

It is interesting to revisit the early discussions.......sort of like a Great 'Golden Oldies' radio station....... :)
that_dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by that_dog »

Yojimbo Jones wrote:Aaarrrggghhh! Embarrasing photos! Go away! Go away!

The big mistake I made was increasing the length of the sleeves without doing so to the body to match. I do concede that in this case, A5 and Platon were correct. Looking at these comparisons makes me feel very happy that my most recent Nowak is spot on, thank God.
Kudos to you for leaving the photos up. It's helpful to have these discussions for future reference. Based on the measurements Tony provided I concluded that there is no way HF could be 6'1" (my height), and your experience confirms that, I think. This thread also helped me pick out the specs for my Nowak Raiders jacket, and I am still happy with those. So thanks for that.

I always find it a little funny when someone posts about a brand new jacket while exclaiming, "This is the ONE!" New jacket happiness is great, we all get it, but often as not, a few months go by and the enthusiasm wanes, details get nitpicked, problems start to show, etc. I still love my Nowak, but the new jacket shine is definitely gone, and there are things about it that I don't particularly like. (In fairness to Tony, these are details in the specs and oddities of the Raiders jacket design, not in the build itself. In my experience, any Raiders jacket is going to have some fit weirdnesses, unless you are built just like HF ca. 1981.)

It's all part of life's rich cycle here at COW....
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

that_dog wrote: Kudos to you for leaving the photos up. It's helpful to have these discussions for future reference. Based on the measurements Tony provided I concluded that there is no way HF could be 6'1" (my height), and your experience confirms that, I think. This thread also helped me pick out the specs for my Nowak Raiders jacket, and I am still happy with those. So thanks for that.
Agreed! And I admire Yojimbo's ability to admit when he's mistaken, and give credit where it's due.
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

_,so is that measurement with or without the Aldens on..... ;).................now start working on Alison Doody's measurements for us if you don't mind....... :lol:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

You're a gentleman?! :lol: ;)
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

Nah Holt, it can stay up. I'm sure it will sink soon enough. FYI, here are some shots of the jacket about a year later so you can see what to expect from this hide once it break in. It really is very nice.

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Nice! I like the skin on the backpanel. it has an excellent blend of smoothness vs grainy sides. just like on the jacket when Ford hangs on the grill. I guess the 'grain' has flattend out over time and use.

but IMO, like your second one way better! cant wait to see that one a year later.
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

Indiana Holt wrote:Nice! I like the skin on the backpanel. it has an excellent blend of smoothness vs grainy sides. just like on the jacket when Ford hangs on the grill. I guess the 'grain' has flattend out over time and use.

but IMO, like your second one way better! cant wait to see that one a year later.
Oh yeah, so do I. So there's no confusion for people - that thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47443

But yeah, this one grained up very nicely. Not to say the other SL verision isn't graining also up nicely - its grain is still developing in all the normal places - its just the over-the-top shrunken graininess is dissipating in a bunch of OTHER places. I'll have to post some new shots of that in a few months as it will be interesting to see how that goes.