Modern S&W M22 1917 ???

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

UpstateIndy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Modern S&W M22 1917 ???

Post by UpstateIndy »

So i went on S&W's website and see under the "classic" section that they still make the 1917 (they call m22). what's the difference between this modern offering versus indy's? :-s

They are expensive. But still considering one. I'll be getting my pistol permit soon and love the look of classic revolvers. not to say i won't be picking up a semi auto in the future.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Modern S&W M22 1917 ???

Post by lantzn »

UpstateIndy wrote:So i went on S&W's website and see under the "classic" section that they still make the 1917 (they call m22). what's the difference between this modern offering versus indy's? :-s

They are expensive. But still considering one. I'll be getting my pistol permit soon and love the look of classic revolvers. not to say i won't be picking up a semi auto in the future.
I noticed they offer a 4" shorter barrel. Wasn't that the length of Indy's 1917?
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

lantzn wrote:
UpstateIndy wrote:So i went on S&W's website and see under the "classic" section that they still make the 1917 (they call m22). what's the difference between this modern offering versus indy's? :-s

I noticed they offer a 4" shorter barrel. Wasn't that the length of Indy's 1917?
Yes, but the barrell was cut down. I've seen the newer gun and they are EXPENSIVE! :Dietrich: You're better off getting a real 1917. Even the real ones are getting up in price. I'm lucky I bought mine (Brazillion model)in the early 90's when they were first flooding the market. Cost me $200. ;)
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

i got one of the new "classic" models about a year ago. there are two different models offered. the classic 1917 is 5 1/2 inches as the other option is 4 inches.(like the movie gun)
at the time, the online model cast about $900. i found mine at a bass pro shop in orlando,fl on sale for $650.
it cost me around $40 for a local gunsmith to cut the barrel down to 4 inches. i'm still looking for a ramped sight to finish it off.
there are some minor differences in both models. the classic 1917 with 5 1/2 inch barrel length would be the one closest to the specs of the film weapon.
also, the gunsmith was selling, in his shop, an original 1917 h.e. for the same price as the repro on sale, however, i would have liked to have the original, but i'd never cut the barrel on that one. plus...it wasn't s.a.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

You'll also find that they build these on the N-frame round butt.

For whatever reason, when Smith was owned by an overseas company back in the late 80's/early 90's, all the dies and machinery to make square butt N-frames were ordered destroyed. ](*,)

So, these are as close to the originals as we're ever going to get in a modern reproduction N-frame Smith and Wesson revolver.

Oh, UpstateIndy , in terms of 'carry'. Unless you're going to be using a side holster on a belt, these huge revolvers are HEAVY! If you're going with concealed carry, you'll find these are not the best choice for that task. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Purdy. =P~ Image
DetectiveJones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by DetectiveJones »

Nice piece Michael. That's the one I want, when funds permit.
Dangerman009
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerman009 »

Here is the one I have.

It isn't one of the 'Classics' revolvers. This is the Thunder Ranch 22-4 that came out nearly five years ago. It was one of the first few in my area. He was able to get me a serial number below thirty.

Funny thing though. I like to see these big wheel guns, but they don't seem to suit me. :-k
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Dangerman009 wrote: Funny thing though. I like to see these big wheel guns, but they don't seem to suit me. :-k
With a name like Dangerman009, you should be sporting a PPK.
However, that Thunder Ranch is one beautiful gun.
Dangerman009
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerman009 »

kwad wrote:With a name like Dangerman009, you should be sporting a PPK.
:) I seriously thought about it. :-k A P99 might not be a bad option. I'm not sure how I'd feel about a synthetic frame.

Back to the new production 22-4's, jlhampton, any photos of your cut-down revolver?
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

Michaelson wrote:You'll also find that they build these on the N-frame round butt.

For whatever reason, when Smith was owned by an overseas company back in the late 80's/early 90's, all the dies and machinery to make square butt N-frames were ordered destroyed. ](*,)

So, these are as close to the originals as we're ever going to get in a modern reproduction N-frame Smith and Wesson revolver.

Oh, UpstateIndy , in terms of 'carry'. Unless you're going to be using a side holster on a belt, these huge revolvers are HEAVY! If you're going with concealed carry, you'll find these are not the best choice for that task. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
I've got the Thunder Ranch .45 ACP revolver. It's a square butt N-frame.
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Yeah, I remember seeing the .40 M21's at Turners when I picked up my revolver - they had the round butt frame while the .45 M22's had the square butt. Image
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

hey dangerman,
sorry, no pics as of yet. my camera is not working, but it looks just like the bapty version without the ramped sight, or just refer to the pics a few posts above and imagine it's 1 inch shorter and no sight.

jlhampton
Dangerman009
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerman009 »

Nice. :D
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

yeah, it's nice to have the closest movie version without having to spend a small fortune on finding an original and having to explain to a gunsmith why you want to destroy a perfect classic. my gunsmith, who cut my barrel, still argued on why i would cut the barrel on the remake. i didn't get into it much. i just told him it was due to asthetics.
i still need a good sight, though. no luck yet.

-jlhampton
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Have you looked into a Weigand front sight replacement?

Link: http://www.jackweigand.com/interfs.html
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

hey mountaineer,
yeah i looked at that site before. i'm just not sure i like the looks of it or if it would be right for the gun. again....asthetics

-jlhampton
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Understood, just throwing it out.

Please let us know what you do find.