My new TOD steele & Jones fedora ( w/ PICS **)

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

My new TOD steele & Jones fedora ( w/ PICS **)

Post by Indakin »

Well, I recently ordered a hat from Steele & Jones down in south america. I saw their amazing looking SOC raiders fedora advertised in the vendor area and was highly impressed with their product. And for the price, their hats seemed like a real bargain. I currently have a Raiders AB that i purchased from a member on here, and absolutely love it. But given how $$ ABs are now and how long the wait is, i began to debate how much I wanted to wear that hat out, since it more of an collectors item to me now. So upon that decisions i also thought to make a new set of movie gear, and after seeing all 3 OT films on the big screen recently I realized how amazing TOD really is and how much I wanted to replicate that look next. I also realized its similar enough to LC that i could use it for that variation of suit as well. So talking with Diego at Steele & Jones I we decided to make my hat the Bridge Scene style bash, which is much less tapered then other scenes. In under 2-3 weeks Diego had made my hat, keeping me updated, and shipped it out..... Now the waiting game begins!!! But I decided to share the final image with you all to get some opinions, and see if any of you have had similar experiences with them before. I honestly cant review the hat yet, but the overall process so far has been great. For around $212 shipped, this is quite a great looking hat. Cant wait to let you all know my true reactions to these hats, and give a possible option to fans not willing to wait 2 years for an AB now. Here is my Fedora and thier site.

http://www.steele-jones.com.ar/en/sombreros.htm

UPDATE*****

Well guys i have received my hat and it is quite amazing. First thing i noticed different in comparison to my AB is that this hat is MUCH softer. My AB seems more pounced (if thats the correct term) and more clay like, because its soft but still very pliable. The Steele TOD seems to just have less stiffener I guess which keeeps the hat more naturally softer and crushable. I like it alot and i also dont like it. I love the feel of the AB because its less likely that the bash will come undone, but even as soft as the Steele is, i dont think the bash will change either. Def what i expected in the hat, great quality, without killing my funds. I can see now how a proper crown height should be on me. Pics seem to give a taller illusion to the eye when thinking how tall the fedora should be. Makes me see how tall my Raiders AB really is. Overall its a great hat, im not unhappy with it by any means. Should look great with more dust on it. Here are a few shots in gear.

here are some pics in the hat.

Last edited by Indakin on Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcmanm
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: My new TOD steele & Jones fedora

Post by mcmanm »

Nice looking hat. I would like to see your review once you receive it. I have seen their site and they seem like a nice outfit. What kind of felt is it? I assume its a rabbit or beaver blend based on the price. I would also like to know how it holds up in the elements. I would be curious to know if they "age" the hat to prevent taper. Just the many sort of questions for a newer vendor to COW.

Matt
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I'm looking forward to a review as well. Though some of the hats in ToD do look just terrible, I think these malign all of the hats and that's a shame. While they don't approach the Raiders hat in terms of looks, some of the hats in Temple are nice looking. The bridge hat you've chosen is probably the best and I also like the hat where Indy punches the guard back about 5 feet (which I had John Penman make a very nice version of).

Looking forward to hearing more about this company!
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Indakin, thank you so much for your words. I'm looking foward to see your full review on this fedora.

To clarify some doubts, because there are not many reviews (not even one) of EXPLORADOR fedoras on COW, I'll write some characteristics of our work: (much of this info is already stated on our website)
* We have no company. We do this as a hobby. By fans, for the fans. We do this for pleasure, no stress.
* Felt is 100% hare.

We buy (localy) the felt body, the sweatband, ribbon (Europe), lining (fine silk).
This is the process:
- block the felt (on our own blocks). This stage involves water and lots of steam. All regular oval blocks.
- dimensional cut
- pouncing the felt with 5 different measurements
- first application of Water Repellant
- attaching the sweatband (with sewing machine)
- attaching ribbon and bow
- inner lining (glued)
- bashing
- second application of Water Repellant

As I said, we do this for passion. In this case took me only 3 weeks to make it, but usually takes about 60 days, APPROXIMATELY. Can be more, can be less. The important thing is we put love on our work, and keep up everyone about the order.

Regards.-
Last edited by Indiego Jones on Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

no problem! Ive bought so many great quality costume pieces from South America over the years, and your Fedora seems to be the same. Yes Diego did work on this pretty fast for me, I'm very thankful for that. Planning to get some shots at SDCC this summer in my TOD gear.

Have to say I really like Indiego as your username! Works great.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

That is a great looking hat Indakin!

Kudos to Indiego as well.
I've checked out Indiego's website before and love that he has hats from all the movies available.

It's nice to see more love for ToD lately. It's always been my favorite of the original three and I never understood why it got such a bad rap with many of the fans.
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

Just when I've narrowed down which vendor to get my fist proper fedora form I see this!!!

Any chance of some shots of the line ans sweatband when you get it Indakin?

As for Temple of Doom I think of it much like Return of the Jedi.
I thought it was the weekest link until they started making new Star Wars movies, could Mutt be the new JarJar Binks? :lol:

ID
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

i think john hurt was more of the jar jar binks in the last film... mutt was like the anakin to me.

Yea when it arrives ill get plenty of pics for you guys.
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

That's a good looking hat! I always liked TOD and even some of the hats are nice, like the Bridge scene. I'm also looking forward to seeing a review and more pics of the hat :)
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

;0
any pics wearing your new fedora???
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

yea man ive been away at SDCC i need to get some pics up for you, stay tunned!

And btw guys, its a great hat. Really soft and comfortable.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

I'm looking forward to seeing it! ToD was the first Indiana Jones movie I saw, and that was the gear that began my obsession. I think ToD has more variance in the fedora than any of the other movies

Weston
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: My new TOD steele & Jones fedora ( w/ PICS **)

Post by Indakin »

updated first post guys!
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Indakin wrote:updated first post guys!
Nice pics, I'm happy you like it.
I think some pics from more distance will render a more complete idea of this fedora. Outdoors too.
Regards.-
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

yea i do, ill get some gear shots when i can, didnt end up doing TOD for SDCC sicne my gf wanted to dress with me too.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Looks really good! I'd say that is a much better, more natural looking fit for you than the shots I've seen of you in the AB. Crown height is better, and I like the looser pinch.
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

It fits you really well! Looks good :)