I prove You CANNOT bleach a Todd's shirt lighter.

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

I prove You CANNOT bleach a Todd's shirt lighter.

Post by 3thoubucks »

I got myself a Todd's shirt for Christmas. I tried to bleach it lighter a couple times with no luck. - You know how you get a drop of bleach on your clothes, and don't notice the white spot/hole untill the next time you wash it? I thought if I let the bleach dry like that, on the shirt, I might finally get some results. First I stuck the shirt in a gallon of straight bleach (I'd tried 50% bleach/50% water last time) for an hour and a half with nothing happening, So I took it to the next level and tested my new theory. I put the shirt on a hanger, still soaked with nothing but bleach, and hung it up to dry overnight and through the day. When the shirt had dried, it didn't look faded. I started to rinse the dried bleach out of it and the cuffs melted. Oh well, you gotta roll up the sleeves anyway! I rinsed it out good..Still, NO COLOR CHANGE! I pulled the wet shirt out of the bucket and heard a ripping sound.... :Forrestal:
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: I prove You CANNOT bleach a Todd's shirt lighter.

Post by jlhampton »

i'm right there with you. i did the same thing with one of my todd's shirts and ...nothing but a more yellowish colored shirt. i managed to save it by re-dying it close enough to its original color, then i gave it to a friend. he never knew the difference. the bleach, however, did not ruin the material. it held up as if i never used it. lucky for me, i had another shirt just like it. these were both of the first run of todd's shirts. i think i'm gonna get an adventurebuilt in the very near future. i like todd's shirt, but the color to the naked eye is just not completely there.

jlhampton
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

My only question is, Why? Indy's shirt isn't really that light, so why bleach a perfectly good shirt?
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

it's not that it's not that light. i just don't think that it's the right hue. there is just something about it that says...yellow
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Well, this is a great start to the "ruined gear section"...

In regards to lightening a shirt...I don't think it's smart to rush it. If you want to bleach a shirt lighter, I'd think just throwing it in the wash with other "whites" and bleach will, after a few washes, lighten it quite a bit...I mean, you're just trying to fade it, right...? So it looks like Indy's washed out version at Sallah's house...kinda grey?
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

Or you just wear it in the searing AZ sun for a couple of years and it will fade.

Raidersbash, nice pic of the horse, is he yours?
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

thanks. yeah, that's me and my mustang sundowner
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Have you tried RIT color remover? It worked wonders on my old Noel Howard.
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Dr._J has the right idea. Rit color remover may lighten it a few shades. Since it is cotton the color remover should work. I had tried it on some 1970 OD fatigues and the only color that came out was in the pull tabs. Any synthetic fabrics are fairly colorfast, plus the stuff for military gear seems to hold it's color for a long time. As for commercial cotton shirts Rit may be the best way to go. Then maybe a washing like you would do your whites in the wash with bleach may be the next step to getting that 'yellowing' out so it is more of a grey/tan.
Granted this is only a suggestion & may not work the way you want, but you can always test it out on a small sample portion to be sure.

Cheers! :TOH:

Dan
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Forget it. You can't fade a Todd's shirt. Let's stop fantasizing that you can. Would it be too hard for Todd's just to switch to a different color??? Maybe the owner just likes that color more than he likes screen accuracy, or non- gearheads like the color and he sells lots of 'em? Maybe he could offer the Shirt in both "Original Yellow" and "Indiana Jones"?
Falco09 wrote:Finally got around to tackling the redye job on Todd's shirt and I seem to have hit a snag. I put two packets of color remover in hot water in a bucket and submerged the shirt. It turned the shirt pink like its supposed to at first, however it didn't do much else after that. It's soaking as we speak so hopefully if I leave it in long enough it will remove the remaining color.

update: The pinkness rinsed off in cold water and I threw the shirt in the wash. After washing the color appears........ pretty much the same as when i started. Anyone got any idea how to remove the color from Todd's shirts?
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

well, in some scenes the shirt looks tan to me, especially in LC and CS.

I think it might just be the material. It looks to be a rather natural fiber...maybe that's just the color? I don't know, I'm certainly no expert, but I thought raw cotton and linen were a tan-esque color.....maybe it won't come out :-k
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

RaidersBash wrote:
I think it might just be the material. It looks to be a rather natural fiber...maybe that's just the color? I don't know, I'm certainly no expert, but I thought raw cotton and linen were a tan-esque color.....maybe it won't come out :-k
I think you could be right Raiders Bash :TOH: http://www.vreseis.com/
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

yeah...i think that might be it. I can almost remember Todd saying something about that being why they're so comfortable, because of being some sort of natural fiber...but I can't say that with any real certainty.

But I know what you mean about the stone gray color. i once had a wal-mart close enough that i wore all the time because it was that color...

I think it really has to do with what look/scene you're looking at or duplicating. some look like khaki pants and gray shirt, other times the pants take on a grayish color and the shirt looks khaki...

but khaki with khaki looks kinda janitorial-esque... :-s
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

I knew the Todd's shirt was a little too dark when I bought it. I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't think I could bleach it out a little. I don't think the fact that the color can't be faded has ever been stated flatly here untill now. The cat is out of the bag. - I just emailed Todd's Costumes with a link to this thread.. I'll wager there's a new shirt color from Todd's in 3-4 months. He'll sell more shirts. Maybe he'll give me a free one to compensate for my research costs? ;) Other than the color issue, I like (liked) the shirt a lot, and would buy another.
Last edited by 3thoubucks on Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Yea...they're for sure super comfy. I even bought a couple for my dad a few months back for his birthday. :TOH:
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

If Todd's is looking at this thread, note RaidersBash's avatar for an idea for an alternate color. Not much yellow in that shirt.
HWaltonJonesJr.Phd
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by HWaltonJonesJr.Phd »

Well I hope this helps:

I faded my Todd's by leaving it overnight in my bathroom sink full of water and a few cups of bleach.

The color was right on and it is much softer now. It was too stiff before and now it looks wrinkled and distressed.

The fabric looks far less durable and easier to tear however. I am happy with mine otherwise.

H
Last edited by HWaltonJonesJr.Phd on Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

3thoubucks wrote:Forget it. You can't fade a Todd's shirt. Let's stop fantasizing that you can.
My shirt was soaked with pure bleach for 11 hours straight, then began drying with the pure bleach still on it over 6 more hours. I could have bought bargain bleach, but I was shure to buy Clorox Regular. I just dug my shirt out of the garbage. The white cuffs aren't bleached, the material literally melted off like Toht's face leaving the white batting underneath. The shirt color never budged one iota. Image
Last edited by 3thoubucks on Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

3thoubucks wrote:
3thoubucks wrote:Forget it. You can't fade a Todd's shirt. Let's stop fantasizing that you can.
LOL!!! :rolling:
darth_ming
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by darth_ming »

Wow!!!

You are really loco!!!!

Is not easier to buy a shirt with the right color for you to... Magnoli?
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

What kind of color and fabric is Todd using that makes it so indestructable to bleach?? That's pretty insane that straight bleach would not do the trick!
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

Have you tried paint thinner?
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I think paint thinner would eat the shirt, wouldn't it?
Treadwell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Treadwell »

Dr._J wrote:Have you tried RIT color remover? It worked wonders on my old Noel Howard.
I had the same bleach problem with a WPG shirt whose original color I didn't like for some reason. RIT did the trick, but only after several applications. The first application turned the shirt a BRIGHT yellow--nothing like a lighter version of what it started as, which was more brown/grey than tan. I had to go through the process again and again until I had a whitish shirt. I was going for "stone" (remember when that was the color we thought we wanted?) but ended up having to redye it a couple more times...in the end I probably ended up more or less with the same color I started with. And then not long after I replaced it with a Todd's. :lol

To sum up, if my WPG is any indication, you can't just use color remover to "lighten". It's an all-or-nothing thing.
DeLoreanDMC81
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by DeLoreanDMC81 »

So after reading about the shirt that is immune to bleach, I was just curious if Todd had ever fixed the problem on the coloring yet? Or is he still selling the same yellow-ish ones that you guys have?

James
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

I have several of Todd's shirts (6 actually)...they have each faded over the year or two that I've had them, just from washing and wearing.

2nd, the only reason the one in Cairo looks "washed-out" is because it is...because of the intense lighting and the effects on film. Look at indy's bag in those scenes...it's washed out too...along with his pants,etc, etc. The sun is pretty bright down there...
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

DeLoreanDMC81 wrote:So after reading about the shirt that is immune to bleach, I was just curious if Todd had ever fixed the problem on the coloring yet? Or is he still selling the same yellow-ish ones that you guys have?

James
i'm pretty sure the shirts are lighter now and not so yellow-ish at all. i think i will get a new one soon. in fact, there is a review of a new wpg shirt by someone in here that shows a comparison of todd's old shirt, new shirt, and a wpg shirt side-by-side and the new run is a better color indeed. i have in mind to do a little color experiment with it
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

jlhampton wrote:
DeLoreanDMC81 wrote:So after reading about the shirt that is immune to bleach, I was just curious if Todd had ever fixed the problem on the coloring yet? Or is he still selling the same yellow-ish ones that you guys have?

James
i'm pretty sure the shirts are lighter now and not so yellow-ish at all. i think i will get a new one soon. in fact, there is a review of a new wpg shirt by someone in here that shows a comparison of todd's old shirt, new shirt, and a wpg shirt side-by-side and the new run is a better color indeed. i have in mind to do a little color experiment with it
IMO, you can't go wrong. Todd's shirts are the most comfortable shirts I own, and the reason I have so many...plus they look great and movie acurate to boot ! :TOH:
Clutters
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Clutters »

Have to agree with the wear-and-fade reports. I bought two Todds about 18 months ago and I have been wearing one of them regularly and the other has been left in the cupboard. The worn one has been worn then washed about every three weeks and it is significantly lighter in colour now in comparison (and looking far more screen accurate for it!). As with all gear, natural distressing is best.
DeLoreanDMC81
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by DeLoreanDMC81 »

I really want to get a shirt within the next few days, so if Todd's shirts have been corrected then I'll just go with his. I'm going to give him a call tomorrow and see what he has to say.

I'll tell you though, those WPG shirts certainly look nice!

James
DeLoreanDMC81
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by DeLoreanDMC81 »

Oh... are these the sites with the comparison shots?

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... %27s+Shirt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... t&start=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DeLoreanDMC81
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by DeLoreanDMC81 »

For anyone interested, I called Todd just a little bit ago and asked if he was still selling his yellow-ish shirt or if he was making them with a new material. He said that he was still using the same 'ol fabric he's been using.

To be honest, I was going through a few scenes in the movies earlier and some of the times the shirt has the stone wash look to it, then other times it seems to have a khaki look.

James
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

DeLoreanDMC81 wrote:For anyone interested, I called Todd just a little bit ago and asked if he was still selling his yellow-ish shirt or if he was making them with a new material. He said that he was still using the same 'ol fabric he's been using.

To be honest, I was going through a few scenes in the movies earlier and some of the times the shirt has the stone wash look to it, then other times it seems to have a khaki look.

James
lighting has lots to do with it. just check out the scene from the int. bantu wind and compare it to s.o.c. ...big difference.

jlhampton
DeLoreanDMC81
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by DeLoreanDMC81 »

jlhampton wrote: lighting has lots to do with it. just check out the scene from the int. bantu wind and compare it to s.o.c. ...big difference.

jlhampton
You're absolutely right, in fact I was going to write about that at the very end about, on how I hate the way lighting in movies really messes with the color of things. But I was in a hurry and forgot to add that last little part.

James
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

DeLoreanDMC81 wrote:For anyone interested, I called Todd just a little bit ago and asked if he was still selling his yellow-ish shirt or if he was making them with a new material. He said that he was still using the same 'ol fabric he's been using.

James
To be honest, the Todd's shirt isn't "yellowish." It's a khaki color. I wish I had some pics of mine handy, but I might have already posted them. If not, I'll see if I can get some up. Like I said, I have six with a couple different versions (pen pocket vs. early no-pen pocket, etc.)

But IMO, I doubt you'd be dissappointed in the color.

Mike :TOH:
DeLoreanDMC81
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by DeLoreanDMC81 »

Well I finally went ahead a did it, I just ordered Todd's shirt a few minutes ago.

I was actually doing some research and stumbled across this photo that Michael (Tundrarider) posted in another thread.

(Left/WPG-Middle/Todd's-Right/Todd's)

I was under the impression that all of Todd's shirts were like the middle one, which I don't really care for. So I sent the photo to Todd and here is the response I got:

Hi James, Wow, it's been a long time since I saw such a dark Indy shirt. You might ask the owner if he has done anything to change the colors of either shirt. The lighter Todd's is the closest to the ones we have in stock now.

Best Regards,

Mizbrooks
Todd's Costumes
16241 Askin Drive Suite 103
Frazier Park, California 93222
USA
http://www.toddscostumes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anywho, I was satisfied with their response and the choice of shirt color, so I went ahead and bought one. I'll be sure to let you guys know what I think of it when it arrives.

James
DeLoreanDMC81
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by DeLoreanDMC81 »

So my Todd's shirt arrived today! To be completely honest with you guys, I DO NOT like the color of it at all cause it's way off. The picture that I posted with the 3 shirts, mine looks exactly like the middle one. :(

I've already made preparations to send it back and order a WPG one. Kind of wish I went with my gut instinct and bought the WPG shirt, but that's what these kinds of hobbies are, trial and error.

James
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

DeLoreanDMC81 wrote:Well I finally went ahead a did it, I just ordered Todd's shirt a few minutes ago.

I was actually doing some research and stumbled across this photo that Michael (Tundrarider) posted in another thread.

(Left/WPG-Middle/Todd's-Right/Todd's)

I was under the impression that all of Todd's shirts were like the middle one, which I don't really care for. So I sent the photo to Todd and here is the response I got:

Hi James, Wow, it's been a long time since I saw such a dark Indy shirt. You might ask the owner if he has done anything to change the colors of either shirt. The lighter Todd's is the closest to the ones we have in stock now.

Best Regards,

Mizbrooks
Todd's Costumes
16241 Askin Drive Suite 103
Frazier Park, California 93222
USA
http://www.toddscostumes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anywho, I was satisfied with their response and the choice of shirt color, so I went ahead and bought one. I'll be sure to let you guys know what I think of it when it arrives.

James
You can tell the older style by that green trimmed label. The one on the right is closer to the new offererings, but probably only after seve washes. Brand new out of the packaged I'd say the color is somewhere in the middle.

Sorry you don't like yours. What size are you? I have a few here and if the size is right maybe we can do a trade if you like the color? I'd send first so you can decide. I have Large A's and B's.
:TOH:
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

So here's one of my Todd's I just grabbed and had my wife shoot a quckie pic, just to show the color it fades to. This one is maybe a year old, and is a sorta stone color, with just a hint of tan...I threw on the other gear so folks can use other colors for comparison...greens and browns and what not

by the way, all the gear is Todds except the hat is my Fed III deluxe reblocked by John Penman).

DeLoreanDMC81
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by DeLoreanDMC81 »

Alrighty, well I went ahead and ordered Todd's shirt last week and it came in last Friday. I was so excited until... I opened the box and saw that it was the Khaki colored shirt I was hoping that it wouldn't be. It's a nice shirt and everything but I was really disappointed in the color. For some people the color is absolutely fine, but for me it just wasn't what I wanted.

Anywho, Saturday rolls around, I just go ahead and bite the bullet and order a WPG shirt. Well today it came in and I'm extremely pleased with the way it fits, feels and how screen accurate it looks. I'm going to be changing the buttons to the darker ones, to make it even more screen accurate.

I've posted a picture below to show the differences in the 2 shirts. Enjoy!

James

WPG - on the Left / Todd's - on the Right
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Nice! Glad you found a shirt you like in the WPG. Can't wait to get that Todd's from you! :lol:
DeLoreanDMC81
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by DeLoreanDMC81 »

Ha, seems I spoke way too soon, I should have said something AFTER I washed the shirt. lol The shirt fit me great yesterday, then I washed it and it shrank a little bit on me. Now the sleeves are shorter than what I like. Should have gone with the Medium-Long.

Mike, the shirt is all wrapped up and waiting for a new home. lol

James
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

the check is literally in the mail! :TOH:
Enigma
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Enigma »

i had the same problem with an italian WW2 repro tropical uniform. So, i was 2 weeks in South Italy for vacation. I put the uniform 1 week under the sun ( at 110 F ) on the front side and 1 week on the back side. The bleaching was perfect. Just try. 8)