Craftsman

Re: U.S. Wings Antique Cowhide 'Hero Jacket'

Post by Holt »

:tup:
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

Indiana Holt wrote:LOL. yeah.. :lol: I kinda have been stamped with ''detail geek'' on my forhead. lol.

anyways,, and you got the look!! LOVE IT

I answered you pm Sarge. just go to were it says ''messages'' under the club obi wan banner. :D
Thank you Indiana Holt... Now for the rest of the Story! Michaelson has been after me to make a LC Jacket for Years and as I have been saying... I have all the Patterns From Neil Cooper.. Over a month ago when Michaelson got his hands on the first one made said" Sarge I know this Jacket" I of course did not say a word until You put everything together!! The collor and style is as close as we can get even to the leather.. Nicks and all. Enjoy Your Hero Jacket! Why $ 195.00 I want every Fan to enjoy the Hobby as much as I do.
Regards,
Sarge
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

maboot38 wrote:
Michaelson wrote:I like mine coming to work myself. They're signed for, and I get them faster as they're handed to me at my desk rather than me having to wait to get home to see them later than night.

Regard! Michaelson
Not to mention, when it arrives at the door you don't have to hear "ANOTHER ONE???!!!!!!" from the misses.
You too? I'd think she would be used to it by now. Four jackets in three months, should have just cut to the chase and went with US Wings to start with. :-k But one of them was a motorcycle jacket, so does it count? :roll:

:TOH:
John
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

I did recieve " ANOTHER #### JACKET", from my wife, back in 2008 when I recieved Todd's standard in July of the same year. It was my third jacket since May of '08. Of course it didn't help that I recieved 99.9% of all my Indy Gear between May '08 and Sept. '08, and the jacket wasn't the only multiple purchase of gear during that time. :[

However she had zero problems with the purchase of this jacket and has been very active with the acquisition of it and providing feedback on exchanging it for another size. She really likes this jacket. :-k
Last edited by scot2525 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

I get the same thing when ever I buy a new gun " what? Ya only got the two arms"

John
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

Just received my jacket about 10 minutes ago. Upon first impression it appears to be a solidly built jacket. The leather is very soft. It is not quite as soft as my Wested lambstouch cowhide (which I believe is no longer offered), but it is very close. I don't think any cowhide can be as soft as the lambstouch. I'm sure this one will soften with use. I absolutely love the color. The fit is great. Better than any other Indy jacket I own or have owned. It is longer than the others, but that is fine by me. I often feel like my other should be a little longer. By the way my measurements are 5' 11" tall, 171 lbs (as of this writing), 42R.

I haven't taken any pictures yet as I would like to get some in full sun, and the back yard is in full shade right now, but I will get some tomorrow. But, now I'm off to turn the A/C WAY down so I can wear it...to help break it in.

BTW, this jacket is a medium.
Last edited by Band Director Jones on Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Hey, Band Director Jones, what size did you get? You sound a little bit bigger than me, so I would assume the Medium would fit you perfectly, as it is just a smidge loose on me all the way around.
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:Hey, Band Director Jones, what size did you get? You sound a little bit bigger than me, so I would assume the Medium would fit you perfectly, as it is just a smidge loose on me all the way around.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that part. I did get a medium. Every "generic sized" jacket/coat I own is a medium except for my letter jackets. Those always seem to be larges. There is just enough room in this jacket to wear my Orvis WWII mechanics sweater during winter (I already checked).
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

I just got mine today, and the great thing is, I had no idea I was getting one! My wife has kept it secret since February, which alone is impressive. I'll take the earlier suggestion and post pics later tonight in a new show off thread. For now, MAN, what an incredible jacket! It doesn't happen all that often, but there is nothing like the feeling you get from having your expectations high about something, and then having them not only met, but overwhelmed and exceeded.

Awesome surprise, awesome day, and pics to follow.

Weston
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Now THAT is one woman I would NEVER play poker with, if she can keep her cards THAT close to the vest!!! :shock:

The project was only mentioned in passing back in February!! Amazing she latched onto the possibility long before a lot of US even did!

I tip my fedora to her, my friend! You have a real jem there! :TOH:

I'm also glad you like your jacket!

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

Now for the rest of the story... Michaelson was the person that said after going back and forward with the samples this is the one .. I have seen this jacket before " Make it"
"Due to the fact this jacket was made for the fans there will not be a price increase on this jacket for the next 12 months nor will there be an extra charge for longs nor will there be a pick up charge for exchanges."
Regards,
Sgt. Hack
CEO
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

That's simply THE BEST, Sarge!

Highest Regards!
Indydawg
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

I think Sarge deserves a bunch of :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: and some :clap: :clap: :clap:
because we are all \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ !

I wish I could get one of these, they are beautiful, beautiful, beautiful but my timing is wrong, but I do have something better: my new son Joshua! (Michaelson I still owe you pictures)
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

Just got mine today. GRADE A jacket!!!!! Love it. It has a perfect aged/rustic look without looking like it's artificially aged at all. Feels very soft and very thin yet very warm. I ordered a large and medium but only got the large (when are the mediums shipping again?). I think it fits well, a tad too big with sleeves too long for my shortness. For my projected weight loss I think medium will fit better but we'll see.

My first thought was I WANT TWO.

Pics soon. Btw what is that smell and does it go away after a while?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

whipcracker wrote: but I do have something better: my new son Joshua! (Michaelson I still owe you pictures)
Yes. Yes you do.... [-X ;)

Regard! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Sgt. wrote:"Due to the fact this jacket was made for the fans there will not be a price increase on this jacket for the next 12 months nor will there be an extra charge for longs nor will there be a pick up charge for exchanges."
Regards,
Sgt. Hack
CEO
Sarge, just when I think you can't outdo yourself, you keep proving me wrong. From what I've seen so far, this jacket is MORE than worth the small price tag you put on it. And to keep the special introductory price as is for a year shows that you care about customer satisfaction over simply making a buck. :clap:
Flash Gordon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Flash Gordon »

Just got my jacket.

On the bright side, the leather is fantastic! I LOVE it! It's just the right color and the right feel and it smells great! It looks like it will age wonderfully.

Not so bright; there's a black line that runs right across the front from the right sleeve to the zipper. Not so bad if on a different part, but it's right across the front. And it might be a little big on me. Maybe a medium would fit better. Should I order a medium as well and see which fits better and send back the one that doesn't?

Did you flip over the size tag? The jackets are made in Pakistan!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

True. :lol:

My understanding has been Wings overseas production facility is located in Hong Kong, but David can correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards !Michaelson
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

Hello M.
I own three.. One in NJ.. One in PK and the other in HK.. The one in NJ is Union .. The One in PK has my employees and all Patterns and work 100 % for US Wings.. The Government there and I are Partners.. They do not out source on the open Market and My Manager in PK has a office in Hudson Ohio USA.. The Factory in HK is set up the same way.. the Government of China and i have a working understanding as seen on our web site under Flying Tigers... D. Rossi
We make Jackets.... Patches.. and US Military Gloves as seen on the inside Tag RN126811 Reg. under US Commerce . Our DLA number is on file with the US Military...

Regards,
Sarge
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Ah, very good! learned something new today! :TOH:

Regard !Michaelson
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

Now the rest of the Story... M. I have been in meetings all day with Disney HQ They meaning Corp. wish to carry the Indy-Style Hero Jacket But it seems the price is too low... A retail price tag of $ 395.00 would be better! My word and price to COW stands.. meaning any and all Members of COW for the next 12 months will not pay over $ 195.00 plus S/H no matter what the size...

Regards,
Sarge
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Flash Gordon wrote:Not so bright; there's a black line that runs right across the front from the right sleeve to the zipper.
Sounds like you got the same bit of leather I did. I have the same thing on the front left! Kind of adds personality, I think, as long as it fades with time.

You can see it here, on the left side of the jacket:
http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo12 ... /floor.jpg
Last edited by maboot38 on Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Well done Sarge and by the way do any of you with a Large and also XL, would you please post pit to pit, arm length etc measurements on the Large and XL..............thanks
Last edited by Hatch on Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Sgt. wrote:A retail price tag of $ 395.00 would be better!
Regards,
Sarge
As I recall way back when this project first came up, this was the projected price at the time. When you announced the $195 price tag, I was floored myself.

Regards! Michaelson
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Sarge,

So you mentioned you are having talks with Disney. Are you going to be making their jackets for them? I hope so they have the worst "Indy" jackets lately! I have always thought that your jacket would be perfect for the park stores. I think if I recall correctly the cooper pattern was originally sold at Disneyland?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Just don't let 'em stamp or embroider something tacky on the jackets, Sarge! Stand up to the mouse! ;)
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

Sgt. wrote:Now the rest of the Story... M. I have been in meetings all day with Disney HQ They meaning Corp. wish to carry the Indy-Style Hero Jacket But it seems the price is too low... A retail price tag of $ 395.00 would be better! My word and price to COW stands.. meaning any and all Members of COW for the next 12 months will not pay over $ 195.00 plus S/H no matter what the size...

Regards,
Sarge
You know even at Disneyland prices $395 is very low for such a great jacket. This is one rare time I hope a retailer makes a ton of profit cuz they deserve it.

So now that I have this jacket, I have some questions about it to the leather experts, now that I have it in hand.

It is smooth and soft to the touch but almost has a dryish/matte feel to it (not bad, just different) compared to my goatskin which feel more like semi-gloss. I'm using paint terms here hehe..
I notice it still looks shiny.

Is that how cowhide usually feels? Is it something unique to naked cowhide? What do motorcycle jackets feel like, like those worn by Mutt?
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Just don't let 'em stamp or embroider something tacky on the jackets, Sarge! Stand up to the mouse! ;)
It'll probably get a bright orange Indiana Jones stamp on the front, just so people don't mistake it for a Wolverine jacket!
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

I don't even see it as an Indiana Jones jacket. It's like some super expensive fashion jacket that's too good for Macys..
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

blueoakleyz wrote:Is that how cowhide usually feels? Is it something unique to naked cowhide? What do motorcycle jackets feel like, like those worn by Mutt?
No, it's old world technology. David (Sarge) posted on Monday:
"Their Leather in the Hero Indy is not just normal leather.. All of the hides have already been hand aged by rubbing oils into the leather and then hung out in the sun to bake in.. Again this is not normal leather that is why you don’t have the same color! This is an old world country practice to give it a rich aged look!"
Regard! Michaelson
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

What do motorcycle jackets in cowhide usually feel like? Just curious
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

depends on the tanning process.
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

Hello M.
Yes Disney sure needs some help in that field ! They want to carry the Indy-Style Hero just the way we are making them for the Fans... No doubt $ 195.00 is the best price in the world for this jacket But the whole idea was to make a jacket that all Fans can afford!!
Now for those that don't like the smell of Leather.. Just hang the jacket out side in the Sun all day.. Not in the rain!!
Now for those that don't like the way the leather looks... Hello it is made to look like Indy just took it off after Filming all day..( Nicks and all ) and it will look like and feel like no other Jacket you have ever had... It is made to age fast.

Regards,
Sarge
PS This Jacket belongs to the FANS... No way would I ever let anyone put a logo on it.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

I LOVE the way the leather looks, especially the little marks and uneven areas! That is what I would expect. I've got jackets that are all one consistent color and texture, and they are boring in comparison.

Not to mention, I don't see too many scenes where Indy's jacket is perfect either!
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

Sgt. wrote:Hello M.
Yes Disney sure needs some help in that field ! They want to carry the Indy-Style Hero just the way we are making them for the Fans... No doubt $ 195.00 is the best price in the world for this jacket But the whole idea was to make a jacket that all Fans can afford!!
Now for those that don't like the smell of Leather.. Just hang the jacket out side in the Sun all day.. Not in the rain!!
Now for those that don't like the way the leather looks... Hello it is made to look like Indy just took it off after Filming all day..( Nicks and all ) and it will look like and feel like no other Jacket you have ever had... It is made to age fast.

Regards,
Sarge
PS This Jacket belongs to the FANS... No way would I ever let anyone put a logo on it.

It's not so bad. I liked the smell of the goatskin jacket I got from you though, it was like a new car smell for leather jackets.

I can't believe how soft this jacket is. So awesome. And it's true single monotone colors can be very boring. I love my goat but it'll never age like this..
I lovve the look of it. It's shiny a bit too which is what I like.
Spatterdash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Spatterdash »

Sgt. wrote:Hello M.
Ya know, I remember reading about guys getting their jackets wet so that they form better to the body and the sleeves rumple to the perfect length. Those jackets could handle rain and water.

Do we need to avoid wet weather in this jacket?
Is there an element of this leather that makes it unsuitable for moisture?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I think RE think that this hide reacts as a sponge in the rain and may shrink if soaked because it is a naked hide.

just thinking out loud here..

:-k
Spatterdash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Spatterdash »

I would certainly hope that a leather jacket, worn for protection from the elements, wouldn't shrink to where it didn't fit simply because I got caught in a shower.

That would be a problem.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

like I said I was just thinking out loud. there is something about the look of the skin that reminds me of what was used for kingdom of the crystal skull jackets. but a better look!! :D but what do I know if it shrinks or not. however,no leather jacket should be used in the rain anyways, sealed skin or not.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

I would imagine that this jacket could take a soaking just fine. There were earlier concerns about it only because once it gets wet, it is yours for good. Buh-bye return policy.

I'm not afraid to get mine into a good downpour, but I probably won't go out looking for one!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

The jackets I see 'shrinking' are soaked lambskin. I don't recall a cowhide having that problem.

Wrinkle? Yes. Shrink? No, not really. :-k

As an example, I wore a cowhide Wings jacket out to Oklahoma last year to help our eldest daughter move into her house, and got caught in several heavy rain storms during the week we were there. The jacket showed absolutely NO sign of anything.

Granted, leather is never meant to be used as rain gear. Ever....but, that said, as I said to another member here regarding another piece of gear, there's no need to dive under the car should a rain storm come up. It will do just fine.

It's a jacket, and meant for outdoor use. Use it.

Regards !Michaelson
Spatterdash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Spatterdash »

Excellent news, thanks guys. Had me worried for minute.

And no, I don't intend to use it as rain gear, but when a monkeyload of irate Hovitos are on your tail and your transport happens to be in the middle of a river, well...
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Ah...well, using your example, I can't think of a single jacket I own that would hold up to diving in a river :-k .....but then, they also weren't designed to be swim gear either. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Tundrarider's often been "guilty" of expressing my thoughts just minutes before I can SAY them... this instance is no different...
;)

Sarge:
Like Tundrarider, I've been watching this Thread with great interest since it first began... and like Tundrarider, I've got my money "tied up" in a few things over the next several months...
So, for you to create this incredible "window of opportunity" to Fans of this jacket of Indy's is really amazingly kind and VERY generous to members of this community!

Sincerest Thanks for that, Sarge... your character is really showing through all of this...
...and the jackets your folks are producing? Well, THEY (and the great photos "COWers" are posting) speak for themselves!

:D
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Just got an email from Wings saying that due to my size measurements and the comments on the forum about sizing issues that I would probably be better off with a Small size instead of a Medium, so, I might be getting my jacket alot sooner then I thought!!
Sgt.
Vendor

Post by Sgt. »

backstagejack wrote:Just got an email from Wings saying that due to my size measurements and the comments on the forum about sizing issues that I would probably be better off with a Small size instead of a Medium, so, I might be getting my jacket alot sooner then I thought!!
Yes.. Your Jacket went out today!!
Regards,
Sarge
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

Congrats backstage! Make sure to get some pics up when that beauty arrives.
Angleiron
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Angleiron »

I ordered one of these on a whim back when they were first announced, mainly because the price was so attractive. I had fairly low expectations, mainly because I've been through so many jackets (about ten from various makers) in the last few years. Each one had it's good qualities--this one has great leather but fits funny, etc, etc--but none of 'em really had "IT".

This jacket has "IT". Man, does it ever...

For me, it really seems to nail some of those weird contradictions associated with the "Raiders" jacket. It feels a little baggy, but form-fitting at the same time. It feels lightweight, but not flimsy. It's got that almost windbreaker-like quality, but still feels extremely rugged. The leather is just indescribably awesome. The more I go through all my "Raiders" archives--a few inconsistencies aside--the more I see this jacket.

I've actually sent my jacket back to get one without the snaps, and have officially entered separation anxiety. I'm eyeing July 18th on the calendar like a kid eyes December 25th. I'm gonna LIVE in this jacket when it gets here.

Anyway, just wanted to share my thoughts. A HUGE "thank you" to everyone involved in getting this jacket out there. And, yes, Sarge and his staff are as great to deal with as everyone says. Thanks, guys!
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Angleiron, any chance you'd share just a few photos with us once you've got your jacket back (and ON your back)?
I - and others I'm sure - would love to see some!
:)
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

Mitch LaRue wrote:Angleiron, any chance you'd share just a few photos with us once you've got your jacket back (and ON your back)?
I - and others I'm sure - would love to see some!
:)
Amen on that.

John