What is it with the tongues?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

What is it with the tongues?

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

I've worn my Aldens just about every day since I got them, and by the end of every day the tongues have shifted off to one side. I've never really experienced this with other boots or shoes. Is this something that's characteristic of the 405's or is it my feet?

I've seen some athletic shoes with a pair of slots in the tongue to put the laces through, presumably to address this, but I'm not anxious to cut into these if there's an alternative solution.

LJ
donovan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: What is it with the tongues?

Post by donovan »

yes , this is a common problem with the 405's .i too have experienced this with mine although after a certain amount of wear they do tend to settle in the desired place . a small stitch to the toungue and side of boot will solve this problem .
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Mine do it too. #-o Did bug me now I'm just use to it I guess.
sallah4
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sallah4 »

This happened with my todds boots also.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Stop! You don't have to slice the tongues of your Aldens! Just have the top corner of one side of the tongue stitched/tacked to the rest of the shoe. Any competent cobbler should be able to do it easily for cheap or free. It works perfectly.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Listen to Bink :tup: But yeah, it is a common occurrence with Aldens and one shoe of my pair does this as well. Don't exactly know what causes it to happen, but Bink's suggestion is the cure for it.

Regards, Geert
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

OK. So it's off to the cobbler we go.

Thanx.

LJ
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

My cobbler put the tack stitches right over the shoe seam stitches at the top of the shoe, so it blends in. But if you just tell hin you need the tongue stitched in place, he should know what to do. Good luck!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Just so you have a better idea, I took a quick pic for reference.

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

gwyddion wrote:Listen to Bink :tup: But yeah, it is a common occurrence with Aldens and one shoe of my pair does this as well. Don't exactly know what causes it to happen, but Bink's suggestion is the cure for it.

Regards, Geert
Very few people walk with their feet pointing straight ahead. Most walk with their toes pointing slightly outward. Because your foot is twisted slightly in reference to your ankle it can cause a slight torque on the tongue so it slides sideways. Ankle boots are particularly prone to show this because of how the boot fits on the foot/ankle.

Do you wear you Aldens laced all the way up or leave the top few hooks unused? Lacing them all the way may help, but you'll probably feel it in your feet since your foot won't be able to twist the same way in your boot.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I always lace my boots up to the top and my Aldens still did this. Strangely enough, I have a pair of Stacy Adams Madison boots (cap toe ankle boots) that have not developed this problem, so I would agree that it could be in the construction versus fit of the Alden boot.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

I lace them all the way to the top as well, so I think it does have something to do with the construction of the tongue. It doesn't bother me though, and I was well aware of the phenomenon before I bought them so I kind of expected it. Still a bit strange that it only does it at my right foot though, but I guess being right-handed has something to do with it :-k

Regards, Geert
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

Some boot tongues have a small leather strip sewn on the tongue. You pass the laces through the strip and the tongue stays centered. The strip is high enough not to be seen under the pants cuff. You could have this done if you don't want the tongue attached to the boot top.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

True, but I've seen this "device" on some shoes which seem to have little effect on the problem. I've had absolutely no problem getting my feet in and out of my shoes by having the tongue tacked to the top with a few stitches. If done like mine were, it has no affect on the aesthetic of the shoe, either, should you choose to wear them with shorts, kilts, and other forms of bottom-half covering. ;) While some shoes do have this strip built in, I've also seen shoes and boots that already come with the tongue stitched to the side or top. In the long run, do whatever suits you best. :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Jeff, I wish it were as simple as your explaination regarding the way a person walks.

I've had 405's that have done this from the moment I took them out of the box, and 405's that have have NEVER done this for their entire life of wear and tear.

My current pair do not do this, and I haven't changed my way I walk, so I believe it has more to do with the construction of the boot in this particular instance.

Regards! Michaelson
ravencrow
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ravencrow »

my right boot did it right away i just dealt with it ... but that tacking idea ....
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

I had this happen when I laced to the top and when I left the top 2 hooks unlaced, so I don't think that's the critical factor. If it is something that varies from pair to pair, it may have as much to do with how an individual hide reacts to stress as anything else. I may try tacking in a couple of stitches myself to see what it feels like.

LJ
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

LJT, a cobbler will use a sewing machine meant for leather, so he will likely do a cleaner job of it, unless you have the proper setup. Just a thought. You could always remove the tack stitches from the back side if you end up not liking what the cobbler did.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Michaelson wrote:Jeff, I wish it were as simple as your explaination regarding the way a person walks.

I've had 405's that have done this from the moment I took them out of the box, and 405's that have have NEVER done this for their entire life of wear and tear.

My current pair do not do this, and I haven't changed my way I walk, so I believe it has more to do with the construction of the boot in this particular instance.

Regards! Michaelson
Hmm, interesting. I was having some arch problems with my feet and had both the podiatrist and physical therapist ask me if the tongues of my shoes slid to the side. I said it's only happened on one or two pairs of shoes I've owned and they said that I tend to walk with my feet pointed somewhat outward (as do most people) though my right foot is more pronounced than my left.

If you've had this happen on and off with Aldens I have to agree it's more an issue of manufacturing. Perhaps the tongue is just off center enough when stitched that the movement of the foot pushes it more out of center.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

I wish that the only problem with the tounges on my 405's was this. BOTH tounges came loose withing six months of ownership on my 405's. I had to hand sew them back in. :x
Adirondack Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Adirondack Jones »

not for nothin', but my Todd's outdoorsmans do the same thing. Guess that's the sign of good replica....
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

It always amazing to me when I watch Raiders and see Harrison run around in his Aldens! Running in mine hurts! :shock: Also very difficult! I can't imagine how bad his tounges are pulling to one side! Then I thought about this, it's very SA when ours do!
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Bink, I still spend some time fixing up Western tack for my daughter and some of her friends, so I don't think I'll do any permanent damage. I do appreciate the caution, though.

LJ

(If this sounds at all like a snot-o-gram, I assure one and all that it's unintended.) :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Long John Tinfoil wrote: (If this sounds at all like a snot-o-gram, I assure one and all that it's unintended.) :TOH:
Heck no! =; You are able to do what you do, and no reason to apologize for it! I, for one, wish I had that kind of talent! :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

No talent, just... cheap. (Maybe thrifty sounds better.) I did some leather work to cover expenses when I was at school and still have some of the tools (maybe all of them - what is the record for leaving boxes of stuff you brought back from university unopened?)

I was just concerned as I read over my reply above that it could be taken... poorly. :anxious:

LJ
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

No, not in my opinion.

Now if you had closed the post with '...and to add, @#$% I'm good!!!', then that might have been a bit over the top.... :-k

:lol: ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Funny, SWMBO often says to me "Are you on that @#$% Indy site again?!!"

I don't know what she'll think when she sees me sewing the tongues in. :-k

LJ
IndianaSean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaSean »

ravencrow wrote:my right boot did it right away i just dealt with it ... but that tacking idea ....
Same here. My left is ok but the right continues to shift. I just got used to it as well. Need to make a journey to the cobbler.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Long John Tinfoil wrote:Funny, SWMBO often says to me "Are you on that @#$% Indy site again?!!"
:lol:

Ironically, the only other person I've ever 'heard' refer to their wife as this is the professor I'm currently recording in the other room 'as we speak'!

Regards! Michaelson
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Really? I've found it to be pretty common on the (admittedly few) forums I've been on.

LJ
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

No offense taken, LJ! Thanks for your concern, though. Like Michaelson said, if you have the skills, use them! I'm only good with thumb tack. :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Long John Tinfoil wrote:Really? I've found it to be pretty common on the (admittedly few) forums I've been on.

LJ
Yep. Really. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

:-k
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:lol: I just found 2 PMs from a couple members who had no idea what we were talking about....so I'm glad to see I'm not the Lone Ranger on this. :lol: ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

So are we letting them in on the secret, or do they have to pursue their own golden thread?
:-s

LJ
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I told them. You think I'd leave them hanging? :lol: :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Yes.

LJ
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

pretty much any shoe i have does this, they just tend to settle to the outside of your foot.
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

Indakin wrote:pretty much any shoe i have does this, they just tend to settle to the outside of your foot.

My Rockport Farnam"s tongue slips on one boot only...
That's weird! :-s
TonyRush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TonyRush »

The tongue on my Alden's slip only on the right boot.

Word of warning: When I first got them, I didn't know that Alden's do this....so I kept reaching down and tugging the tongue back to
the middle.Within a couple of weeks, the tongue started coming unstitched all the way down at the bottom where it's attached to the
boot.

I've yet to send them back to Alden's for repair.....but I have to be careful with that right-boot tongue because it's loose now.

Tony