Fed IV Deluxe vs The Henry

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indiana Sloan
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Fed IV Deluxe vs The Henry

Post by Indiana Sloan »

The used hat market is looking slim these days, at least for size 59, so it looks like I'm going to be pushed into buying my first "real" hat brand new. (I'll be hosting a DP hat burning party afterward if anyone is in the Raleigh, NC area.)

If this has been covered somewhere else, I do apologize and beg to be redirected, but I was just wondering what people's thoughts were on the Fed IV deluxe vs The Henry. Anyone own both and have some comparison shots?

Shipped, the Henry is nearly twice the price buuuut - I want this to be "the" hat that I go to forever and ever so money is no object.
I've always wanted to say that.
mcmanm
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Fed IV Deluxe vs The Henry

Post by mcmanm »

Honestly, if money is no object, buy a custom. They are far and away the best place to put your money. I own a few custom Penmans (2 beaver, 1 rabbit). I believe the difference these days in cost between a Henry and a Penman Beaver is around $75. The difference in price is small compared to John"s work and attention to detail. I'm sure the Henry is a nice hat, but John can literally make you anything you want. Also, go with a pure beaver felt. It makes a huge difference in the feel and durability. Never thought there would be a diffference until I received a pure rabbit hat from John. Just doesn't compare to beaver. Remember, the Fed is a pure rabbit hat. Just some things to ponder.

Matt
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Best all-arounder in terms of factory produced, materials, quality and features that reproduce the look.

My vote is for the Henry, if it is just between the Fed or the Henry.

If you can wait, go custom.
Last edited by Texan Scott on Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Sloan
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana Sloan »

Money is not so much the issue with the Penman hat - it's the 5-6 months that makes me antsy. I have marveled at pictures of the Penman fedora over the past couple of weeks as I've been rationalizing this purchase to myself (not difficult) and I'd love to own one some day ... I just want a nice hat and I want it relatively soon. Maybe a Fed IV regular now and a Penman for down the road? Ha.

Side note: I just saw the Explorador which is made of hare felt and comes in around two months. Thats a doable time table for a handmade hat but I've never heard what anyone has to say about hare felt. Hmmmm.
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

The Fed and Fed Deluxes are both made from Hare fur ;)

-Daryl
Mighty_Draw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mighty_Draw »

Having a (brown)Henry, regular Fed IV(non-deluxe), and a Penman beaver raiders I got second hand on here I'll say without a doubt the Penman is the finest of the three, so if you can convince yourself to wait I'd do Penman if money is no issue. However, if you want a hat fairly quickly Henry all the way, the ribbon is a lot nicer than either version of the Federation so far as I can tell, and the bow is a LOT more attractive.

The caveat to the Penman is being nice dense beaver, it can get a little warm under it on hot days, in my opinion. The Henry is really just awesome year round, never too hot, never left me feeling cold and it looks great.
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

I'm gonna repost something that I said in another thread...

If you want to spend $108AUS, get a Fed. It's a sensational hat and you won't do better for the price
If you wanna spend $160AUS, get a Fed Deluxe. It's a sensational hat and you won't do better for the price
If you wanna spend $290US, get a Henry. It's a sensational hat and you won't do better for the price.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Don't forget Garrison Hatters by Local Land Surveyor (member here). He's spent time learning the trade from Steve Delk and Steve consistently sings the praises of LLS's Raiders block. IIRC LLS hats are rabbit (as opposed to beaver), but are custom made and I don't think his wait times are that long. Would be worth checking him out.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

I'd say go for the custom in Beaver. If you're gonna keep this hat and wear it then defo custom. I have the fed IV deluxe and the Henry and whilst they are both excellent production lids, they don't come close to the feel, fit and quality of my AB. I'm awaiting 2 custom Penmans, so I can't really comment other than what I've seen here and read, but John has my total confidence. (thus the 2 orders)

As far as customs go, just the fit alone is worth the wait. Both my Fed and Henry are size 59cm and don't quite fit right and I need to put pads in the sweat - but that's the chance you take with a factory hat. When I put the AB on it feels like it was made for me.

Custom dude! :)

Ian
Georgia Steve
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Georgia Steve »

Don't forget Garrison Hatters by Local Land Surveyor (member here). He's spent time learning the trade from Steve Delk and Steve consistently sings the praises of LLS's Raiders block. IIRC LLS hats are rabbit (as opposed to beaver), but are custom made and I don't think his wait times are that long. Would be worth checking him out.

I agree check out LLS hats you get a custom fit and a good price.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

If you want this to be "the hat" as you said, I'd say take the plunge for a Penman, especially if money is no object. So you have you have to wait five months, you'll have the hat you've always wanted and will last you a lifetime. Just my opinion.

Dave
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

DR Ulloa wrote:If you want this to be "the hat" as you said, I'd say take the plunge for a Penman, especially if money is no object. So you have you have to wait five months, you'll have the hat you've always wanted and will last you a lifetime. Just my opinion.

Dave
I definitely agree. The Penman would be well worth the wait. If budgetary concerns don't play in, you could order the Penman and then get a regular Fed IV to hold you over until it arrives. Then you're Penman could be your "on the town" hat and the Fe could become your work hat.

Uh, not that I think about this kind of stuff... :Plymouth:
jkdbuck76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jkdbuck76 »

^^^
What they all said!

I wear my Fed4 DLX without liner in late spring and during summer.

I wear my Henry the rest of the time.

The "feel" of the Henry is superior on account of the beaver content of the felt.
However, where I live (in Indiana, coincidentally) it gets hot and I sweat bullets
in the Henry.

Both are great hats. But since I want a custom-made hat at this point, I would tell you to get a custom hat!
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: from Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil but living in Beirut, Lebanon

Post by tekors »

Go with the Henry or a custom Penman (if you can wait and pay a bit more).

I can assure you the Henry is a really nice hat in every detail, almost a custom made (some people said the henry was better than many handmade in the market, except ABs and Penman of course).

If it's a bit loose, place some pads until it shrinks and then you will have the perfect fit.
The lid gets better with wear. It's an every day hat for all environments.
I don't leave home without it ;)
beaverlid
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by beaverlid »

It is not easy waiting on something you really want. Emotions will sometimes force you to make decisions that are based on wanting what you want right now and not being able to get it and so you settle for less.

I have been there waiting for my fedoras to arrive. I own an AB custom beaver, a Penman custom beaver and another custom fedora that is likely a beaver/rabbit blend. I am familiar with the waiting game. Waiting 6 months to get a hat that will last you a lifetime is worth it if you don't mind the pricetag that comes with the custom fedora.

My suggestion is this, if you can afford it, place an order with John penman and get on his waiting list. As far as I know, and please correct me if I am wrong Bending Oak, but you get on the list and don't pay until your fedora is ready to be made. This gets the process started. Then turn around and buy a Fed IV which doesn't take very long to receive by mail, and this will get you a great fedora at a good price to wear while you wait on your custom hat to be made. When your custom hat arrives you will have 2 and then you can rotate them as needed.

While the wait can seem like forever, when it is over you will know why everyone here at COW pushed for you to go custom. There is nothing like a well constructed beaver or rabbit custom fedora. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Beaverlid
beaverlid
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by beaverlid »

One thing I forgot to mention is that Steve at AB charges 650.00 for a beaver felt and at this price you get an expedited fedora from steve. The wait is roughly 6 weeks, or at least it used to be. You pay alot but you are getting a fedora made by the man that made the fedora for the man. Just something to consider.

Beaverlid
AZ Pete
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by AZ Pete »

beaverlid wrote:My suggestion is this, if you can afford it, place an order with John penman and get on his waiting list. As far as I know, and please correct me if I am wrong Bending Oak, but you get on the list and don't pay until your fedora is ready to be made. This gets the process started. Then turn around and buy a Fed IV which doesn't take very long to receive by mail, and this will get you a great fedora at a good price to wear while you wait on your custom hat to be made. When your custom hat arrives you will have 2 and then you can rotate them as needed.
Couldn't agree more. I own a Fed IV and love it (except for the wire in the sweatband that has kinked). I also have a Penman on order (hopefully due to arrive beginning of October). I can't wait for the Penman but the Fed IV helps make the wait somewhat bearable.

When I get the Penman I plan on sending John my Fed IV for reblock, new sweatband and new ribbon.

It's a tough decision but don't let your emotions/impatience get in the way. Get the hat that you know you want!

Good Luck,

Pete