Brown leather versus black leather

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Brown leather versus black leather

Post by blueoakleyz »

Personally I think I like brown better a lot more, surprisingly. Black is usually the cool leather.

I think it has to do with the fact that brown seems to blend better with my hair color, complexion, blue jeans and any other color I wear. Black seems just too monochromatic. I put some black boots on and it just seemed to be too plain to me.

The real point I'm trying to make is that brown distresses great with tons of shades on one piece (jacket boot etc) while black, while looks great new, doesn't distress well. It just seems gray..
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: Brown leather versus black leather

Post by Indy Magnoli »

It actually depends on what leather you start with. I had a black leather jacket made for my wife and it is fading to the most gorgeous deep brown due to the rich underbelly.

But I think you're "preaching to the choir" with this post. ;)

Kind regards,
Magnoli
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

black leather to me gives more of a decisive appearance. the wearer thinks in blacks and whites and looks confident to do a job without any chance of waffling or sitting on the fence. brown leather gives the wearer more of an inviting appearance, someone who is laid back and not really concerned about life's problems or what they are doing tomorrow.

what does that mean? if i wear my black jacket with brown trim, i am 100% sure that i don't know what i'm doing tomorrow :lol:

i agree, brown distresses better if the jacket is monochrome.....but if you take a black biker jacket with a bunch of patches on it and age it 50 years........that lookos bad a## imo.
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

G, while you're on line what about some updated pics on the 'dirty oil' Nowak jacket from year or so back.....how's it aging ??
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Black leather has been ascribed to the biker look, while brown leather says nostalgic A-2 type jacket.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Hatch wrote:G, while you're on line what about some updated pics on the 'dirty oil' Nowak jacket from year or so back.....how's it aging ??
this has got to be my favourite brown leather thus far. as some of you know, it is a waxy-like cowhide. feels stiff and robust and molds to you your body. the beauty of the leather is that it distresses/wrinkles/shows the undertones quite easily......but take a steam iron to it and it goes back to it's monochrome brown state....till you start bending it again. you can ask how it's aging: it looked 10 years old on my way back from my trip to see tony....which is why i didn't have to declare it at customs ;).....get me a an industrial steam iron and 2 minutes...she'll look as if it just came out of the shop. if i wanted a brown leather jacket.....i would always pick this hide....i love this stuff!

Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Remember some of your classic 'rants' on Canadian Customs.........glad you were able to 'recover' a bit of your overcharges......Jacket is looking good....
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Looking really good. I've always liked that jacket since you got it.
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

:-k I guess it all depends on what I'm doing, Or how I'm feeling. If It's a easy night on the town with the wife I'll go with brown. A long ride on my chopper then it's black all the way. I have 9 leathers with yet another on its way. It's about 50/50 in color. From Indy to Mutt and back. Throw in two full length leather dusters for those outlaw high plains drifter moments.

peace :TOH:
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

John Vaughan wrote::-k I guess it all depends on what I'm doing, Or how I'm feeling. If It's a easy night on the town with the wife I'll go with brown. A long ride on my chopper then it's black all the way. I have 9 leathers with yet another on its way. It's about 50/50 in color. From Indy to Mutt and back. Throw in two full length leather dusters for those outlaw high plains drifter moments.

peace :TOH:
when i'm riding my chopper......i wear mandatory black and blood orange:

er.......well ok. the harley is still in the shop till next week. i'll post in lao che when i get her home in my stable :)

yes, there's nothing like wearing black on a bike.....brings out the bad boy in you....moreso than a sleepless night and an empty coffee cup......
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

:-s I don't believe it, that's the very same color as my bike! :P wow, And all this time I thought I was being original! Great now I have to repaint :roll:

Peace
John
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

Figures, today I go out and buy a pair of black boots. Oh well. Still gettin brown ones
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

I have no interest at all in bikes but I much prefer black leather jackets. Indy jackets are brown, which is the only reason I have a couple of brown leather jackets. Over here brown is often seen as old people's colour. In fact, the Indy costume - brown and beige - is classic old folk wear, colour wise. And face it, if Indy was still alive, he would be very, very old. ;)
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

CM wrote:I have no interest at all in bikes but I much prefer black leather jackets. Indy jackets are brown, which is the only reason I have a couple of brown leather jackets. Over here brown is often seen as old people's colour. In fact, the Indy costume - brown and beige - is classic old folk wear, colour wise. And face it, if Indy was still alive, he would be very, very old. ;)
:-s Sooo, just what are you saying? :P

Peace bro

John
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

John Vaughan wrote:
CM wrote:I have no interest at all in bikes but I much prefer black leather jackets. Indy jackets are brown, which is the only reason I have a couple of brown leather jackets. Over here brown is often seen as old people's colour. In fact, the Indy costume - brown and beige - is classic old folk wear, colour wise. And face it, if Indy was still alive, he would be very, very old. ;)
:-s Sooo, just what are you saying? :P

Peace bro

John

What am I saying? I don't know... ;)

No.. what I'm saying is that brown leather isn't necessarily cool. Yeah, I know.. who cares, right?
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

Depends on what you're into, CM. I mean as someone else here in Australia, my observation's been that most funky cool dudes wear brown leather, especially the 70's and early '80s retro scungy brown stuff. Picture most Australian musicians for the last 10-15 years. There's a real retro cult thing going on.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I'm good with both and like the variety of black leather if I'm in more grey scale outfits. I also prefer black leather with a grey fedora.

Also, anyone outside these hallways see any brown leather jacket as an Indy jacket. As an example, I love the look of the Surrogates jacket, but can't pull the trigger for just that reason. To the 'uneducated' eye it is an Indy jacket. Even to me it's a bit too close to my Wested. I know I would get a million comments from family and friends, "Oh, you got a new Indy jacket. Why do you need more than one?" Now, a Surrogates in black, there's a possibility...

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Yojimbo Jones wrote:Depends on what you're into, CM. I mean as someone else here in Australia, my observation's been that most funky cool dudes wear brown leather, especially the 70's and early '80s retro scungy brown stuff. Picture most Australian musicians for the last 10-15 years. There's a real retro cult thing going on.

I've never followed pop music so I couldn't say. But those 1970's jackets are a whole separate ballgame - you see blue and purple too - yikes! I guess Melbourne tends to feature black - even in retro. But it could just be that I need to get out more often. ;)
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

Wasn't trying to ruffle your feathers there CM, If ya read my first post I can go either way. I am into Motorcycles and when riding I wear black, and with the way I look( long hair, tattoos ect..) black fits very well. But it seems I can go from biker to long haired adventurer with a flip of a switch just by wearing earth tones. People all of a sudden aren't worried where their kids are. I live in the U.S. and we have a problem with being very judgemental. In biker mode I've had people cross the street rather than walk past me. Dressed more Indy style people just smile and say good day.
:TOH:
John
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

John Vaughan wrote:Wasn't trying to ruffle your feathers there CM, If ya read my first post I can go either way. I am into Motorcycles and when riding I wear black, and with the way I look( long hair, tattoos ect..) black fits very well. But it seems I can go from biker to long haired adventurer with a flip of a switch just by wearing earth tones. People all of a sudden aren't worried where their kids are. I live in the U.S. and we have a problem with being very judgemental. In biker mode I've had people cross the street rather than walk past me. Dressed more Indy style people just smile and say good day.
:TOH:
John

No probs, John. I wasn't ruffled - I could see my point was a bit vague. :TOH: