Waxed cotton

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Waxed cotton

Post by enigmata_wood »

Apart from the dreadful DP waxed cotton fedora does anyone here know a maker of more 40's / Indy proportioned fedoras in waxed [or unwaxed] cotton?
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Waxed cotton

Post by Kentucky Blues »

I have a question... is there a reason, beyond it being a dorfman, that you want a specifically non-dorfman waxed cotton hat?
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

Yes, I'm looking for a summer hat that will keep off the occasional British downpour but still breath. The Dorfman doesn't have the tall crown with untapered sides of a good 40's style hat. If the crown of the hat has no air space round one's scalp it's not much good for avoiding sunstroke. I've had 'modern style' [read 'stingey on fabric'] waxed cotton hats before that were so close fitting that the wax actually melted from my body heat. :?
Indiana Greg
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Greg »

enigmata_wood wrote:Yes, I'm looking for a summer hat that will keep off the occasional British downpour but still breath. The Dorfman doesn't have the tall crown with untapered sides of a good 40's style hat. If the crown of the hat has no air space round one's scalp it's not much good for avoiding sunstroke. I've had 'modern style' [read 'stingey on fabric'] waxed cotton hats before that were so close fitting that the wax actually melted from my body heat. :?

Bailey "Wind River" Sportsman's model. 2 7/8" brim w/ a 4 1/2" c-crown.

Also look here: http://www.outbackoutlet.com/shop/categ ... ortby=name Get an extra 15% off from 6/11 - 6/21 using code "FD10"
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

Ta, I'll look them up
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

You might also check Tilley hats.............they have 2 new waxed hats, in the T4 and T5 styles..............these hats have dimensional brims................