TN Raiders jacket shrunken lamb color help?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

TN Raiders jacket shrunken lamb color help?

Post by sithspawn »

Just got done talking to Riley about getting a TN Raiders jacket. He told me the Shrunken Lamb comes in a lighter color and a darker color. That's the only thing holding me back. By any chance would anyone that has that jacket know what color I should pick? :-k

On the other hand i could get leather samples of the two colors and put them on here to help with the decision. ;)

Any thoughts from Nowak Raiders jacket owners.
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: TN Raiders jacket shrunken lamb color help?

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

I don't think there's too much in it. The way I had it explained was that one's like chocolate, and the other one a darker chocolate. It really comes down to what your personal preference is.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Just as Tony didn't, Riley may not send out samples of shrunken lamb.

Take a look at some of the photos already posted here, Tony matched the colour as closely as possible, but I would expect from batch to batch there may be variations. Maybe ask Riley if he will send you photo of a side by side comparison.

As long as the jacket is made from hides of the same batch probably no one would be the wiser
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Not sure which color mine would be. I only specified the smoother shrunken lamb when I ordered. We never discussed color. I'd have to see the two, but I would think mine might be darker.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Can you post photos of it Mike?
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Two different brown:
Regards.-
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Mike, is the darker jacket the smoother shrunken lamb you are referring to? Would like to see a pic if possible.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Indiego Jones wrote:Two different brown:
Regards.-
Ahh, wait a minute there folks. That's my pic of #12 and 13. #12 was made from an old supply of lamb that Tony had laying around. He made three jackets out of that before he ran out. I think there is only one shade of shrunken lamb now... though it's not unlikely that I'm out of the loop. :-k
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Have any more pics of the darker one? Is it shrunken lamb, any certain 'type' of hide?
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

W
Tibor wrote:
Indiego Jones wrote:Two different brown:
Regards.-
Ahh, wait a minute there folks. That's my pic of #12 and 13. #12 was made from an old supply of lamb that Tony had laying around. He made three jackets out of that before he ran out. I think there is only one shade of shrunken lamb now... though it's not unlikely that I'm out of the loop. :-k

Well according to Riley they have too different colors of the shrunken lamb. He never saw the original jacket that Tony matched, so has no idea what the color was.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Texan Scott wrote:Have any more pics of the darker one? Is it shrunken lamb, any certain 'type' of hide?
No, actually #13 (the darker one in the regular smoother shrunken lamb) has made the rounds as I wasn't wearing it much. Very nice though.
sithspawn wrote:Well according to Riley they have too different colors of the shrunken lamb. He never saw the original jacket that Tony matched, so has no idea what the color was.
That wouldn't surprise me. I wouldn't say #12 is quite chocolate brown, though it's darker than it appears in the picture. I bet Tony ordered up something similar. Tomorrow when the light is good I'll take some pics of #12 and my new #59 in goat. I'll include my Good Wear russet horsehide A-2 as a bit of reference. All beautiful jackets.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Technically the leather that was previously called matte or flat lamb is shrunken lamb, but smoother than what the first jackets were like plus a milk-chocolate colour. Could this be what was meant with the lighter shrunken lamb? if so, go for the darker one. If not, still go for the darker one :P

Regards, Geert
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

gwyddion wrote:Technically the leather that was previously called matte or flat lamb is shrunken lamb, but smoother than what the first jackets were like plus a milk-chocolate colour. Could this be what was meant with the lighter shrunken lamb? if so, go for the darker one. If not, still go for the darker one :P

Regards, Geert
that is incorrect. yes, 000 was made from lamb, but it was not shrunken lamb. there was only one other jacket that i recalled that tony made out of this hide that went to a customer.

dig out bink's post of when all the TN jackets were showcased at the QM summit 2 or 3 years ago. you will see the matte lamb there.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Tibor wrote:Tomorrow when the light is good I'll take some pics of #12 and my new #59 in goat. I'll include my Good Wear russet horsehide A-2 as a bit of reference.
I snapped a few in the daylight hours...

First is a shot of my new Raiders #59/888 in Nowak goat alongside #12/888 in old stock shrunken lamb. #59 is the one to be in if you're going under a truck. I love the color, the cut, the finish, the texture. When folks talk about SA, I've mostly been looking for what my mind's eye saw on screen (which I readily admit may not be the same as reality). This one does it for me and it's really tough to boot.
http://s701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16 ... C_0331.jpg

Next is a close up of #59 to get a sense of the texture of the Nowak goat. I really like this stuff.
http://s701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16 ... 0329-1.jpg

Finally, for some comparisons ... I have four jackets together. Left to right is 59/888 Raiders in Nowak goat, Todd's standard, 12/888 Raiders in old stock shrunken lamb, and my Good Wear A2 in russet horsehide. You can get some idea of how the colors compare.
http://s701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16 ... C_0333.jpg

In person I think 59/888 is the closest thing my mind's eye has ever come across to the original jacket I saw on screen (yes I know, more than one jacket, and none were goat, but nevertheless...) As I saw it, the jacket always matched the hat ribbon, and the hat was lighter brown. The jacket was dark. Darker than 12/888. If I had to compare, I'd say the Nowak goat is darker than the smoother shrunken lamb that I had in 13/888 which had some reddish-purple undertones. I love the dark, dusty look of the goat. Again, just my preference.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Beautiful jacket,Tibor. The color of your shrunken lamb is close to the color of mine. I agree that the Nowak goat is closer in color to what I "see" on screen, but, of course, lighting and everything plays a part.

I have a swatch of the Nowak goat and it seemed to be a great hide. Good color and graining. Glad that Riley and crew came through on a great jacket.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

My SL looks to be the color of Tibor's goat.
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

Not trying to derail this thread but that Todd's standard jacket looks great even in the company of two Nowak originals. :-k Some of you wanting to purchase a jacket should keep that in mind. ;)

As far as Raiders jacket color, I like the darker brown jackets the best, JMO.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

scot2525 wrote:Not trying to derail this thread but that Todd's standard jacket looks great even in the company of two Nowak originals. :-k Some of you wanting to purchase a jacket should keep that in mind. ;)

As far as Raiders jacket color, I like the darker brown jackets the best, JMO.
Scot, there's a reason I still have a Todd's :TOH: Now that said, what you can't tell in the pics is Todd's doesn't fit me like the Nowak's. Todd's is a terrific jacket if you're the right size. Unfortunately for me, Todd's is cut way too full in the waist to look right zipped. It's fine on a cool day unzipped, I love the drape, color, etc. but zipped it's goofy on me. The Nowak's on the other hand fit just like I'd hoped, zipped or unzipped.

I'm right with you on the darker brown.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

How doesa the Nowak goathide break in, its characteristics?
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Time will tell... it's a jacket that needs to be worn a lot I think. It is supple, but not as "drapey" as lamb. I think others have said that it's the leather you'd probably get if you actually used a jacket on adventures - tough, conforming - I think it will mold beautifully to you're frame but it will take a lot of wear, which now that Summer is here is less likely for a while for me.

It's far more resistant to damage and scratches than lamb. I like the matte finish too.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Tibor wrote:Time will tell... it's a jacket that needs to be worn a lot I think. It is supple, but not as "drapey" as lamb. I think others have said that it's the leather you'd probably get if you actually used a jacket on adventures - tough, conforming - I think it will mold beautifully to you're frame but it will take a lot of wear, which now that Summer is here is less likely for a while for me.

It's far more resistant to damage and scratches than lamb. I like the matte finish too.
I've had my Nowak Goat since October, and I wear almost every day, without anything artificial done to it, other than sometimes I store it between the mattress and box spring at night :) It breaks in quickly, but actually is quite resilient to wear. You can scratch at it, and it will show a warm brown/reddish tone underneath, but the tone actually seems to heal back to dark (same thing if you stretch it). Of course, if you break the surface, it retains that beautiful warm tone. It's a stretchy leather, conforming, but doesn't "hold" wrinkles as much as I expected. I did finally get caught on the motorcycle in the rain, last month, and the jacket took on that nice lived in quality to it after. It does distress easier than my G&B but I think it'll take years before it starts looking like a distressed Raider's jacket. Which is fine, because I think I have a few years left :)
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

Thanks for your help guys. :TOH: Just sent out cashiers check by EXPRESS MAIL. Riley doesn't have the ability to take credit cards yet as it's being set up now in his name. Ordered the darker brown in shrunken lamb. Am getting an EXACT size copy warts and all with just the serial # inside the pocket. Will hopefully know how it looks in a couple weeks time. ;)