WPG Indy Shirts re-stocked

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: WPG Indy Shirts re-stocked

Post by knibs7 »

Looks good!

:TOH:

Kyle
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

It does look good!
fuzzjunk
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by fuzzjunk »

Thank you Mountaineer, Great comparison pics!

Now when you say M+ are you referring to Med A or Med B? I just went to his site and only found Med, wonder if he doesn't stock those sizes anymore. I'm guessing if I have a small WPG shirt then I should go with a Med in Todd's shirt.

-Scott
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Mountaineer wrote: The color is great, the shirt is nicely made and I'm really happy I went with the size I did (small).

It is longer, no doubt about it,

I did a quick and hasty side-by-side with it and my circa 2008 Todd's (M+) shirt to show their differences.

We're in the same boat, Mountaineer. I went with a medium Todd's and small/long WPG. The Todd's was a great fit, like yours, the WPG, not so much. The WPG sleeve holes at the shoulders are too small, and it doesn't hang right there. The pocket flaps of your Todd's look higher up and closer together than the WPG's, and look better there. The Todd's is too short, the long WPG a litle too long, but I prefer the extra length. The color and quality of the material of the WPG better than the Todd's. I hate the Todd's color. ... I'd like a medium Todd's, an inch shorter than the WPG Long, WPG material and color. Thank you. The Todd's fit is the winner. Color, material, length winner is the WPG.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Thanks for the comments guys.

Fuzzjunk, when I ordered the Todd's M+ shirt (summer 2008) I believe he was in the practice of denoting the garments that were differently sized from his initial offerings things with a "+". (I will say my Medium+ is the same color as his initial shirts because I ordered I ordered a Small in April 2008 and got it in June due to factory problems. The two shirts are exact in color and material.)

My understanding is that at some time that changed to the "B". I don't mean to muddy the waters but I've read here that at some point he tweaked the color of his shirts. So although I'm not 100% sure; it may be that the case that things denoted "+" became the "A"s and another (3rd?) run became the "B"s. His comments in the Vendor section are the source of my conjecture.

Bottom line, Todd would know for certain which is which and the time frame they were offered.

3K$, I had yet to wash the WPG and that kind of changes the way things fit/sit on the body. So a two year old shirt, after multiple washings vs. a fresh from the packaging shirt is a little skewed. I just went through that drill with some other shirts I bought this weekend. After a wash they fit much better than fresh off the rack.

However, I did notice the pocket height difference, preferring the Todd's as well. We're talking maybe an inch difference, but if one looks close you see the difference. I figure that if I had purchased the WPG before the Todd's I'd probably now think those pockets are too high. Fickle bunch are we, right?

I feel similarly though; using Todd's pattern, a shirt made with WPG fabric would make the perfect storm for a great shirt.
fuzzjunk
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by fuzzjunk »

I see. :-k I wondering how much different Todd's current run is then the one you currently own, fit-wise that is?

I am really looking for a more tapered/form fitting shirt, I just don't know if the AB or Todd's is the better choice for this type of fit.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

I can't speak for an AB, but Todd's shirts, based on mine and all I've read/seen, ARE tapered/fitted as you are looking for.

That's why I never bought the old WPG shirts, for me they were too blousy in their cut. The current is closer to the Todd's as far as fit around the torso, just longer in length.

Both would work for you, I think. The WPG may need a run through a tailor's hands to get the tail shortened, but you'd probably like its fit.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

A quick follow up on this shirt:

When wet, the WPG material is really close in behavior, by my uncalibrated eye, to what I see in the shirt's main page write-up in the last ToD picture. As the washer was filling with water, while putting the shirt in, I noticed how it looked and thought of that main page entry.

The shirt wears nicely, and you get a good degree of cooling without being cold. I could feel the breeze in it, so it should be a great shirt in even warmer weather.

Like I said at first glance, a nice shirt, well worth the price.
fuzzjunk
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by fuzzjunk »

Well I've come to the conclusion that my WPG shirt does not fit me well in the shoulders. It fits great in the chest but a bit baggy in the mid section and very, very snug in the shoulders.

I know need to find what size would work in Todd's shirt, as I think I am going to give their shirt a try. I am about 5'9"ish, 158lbs with 38" chest and 30 waist. I'm probably going to go with Todd's Med, the site says it has a smaller chest and waist then WPG's size small.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

I empathize with you on the WPG fit. The whole shirt seems to sit more forward on my shoulders. It's not bad, but like a pair of jeans that get more comfortable after you wear them a while, I don't think the shirt has been make to "fit" just yet.

Mind you, my WPG is not terribly tight in the shoulder area, but it is more snug than the Todd's Medium "+" I own.

You and I are similar in build, and I'm guessing if his Medium is what once sold as a Med + then you would be OK. Try emailing Todd and seeing if he can shed light on what became of the "+" listing.

Sorry if you feel I steered you wrong in the past, recommending the WPG. Not my intent at all.

BTW: This was Todd's shirt size info, cached on 16 April, 2010

Coyle's Indiana Jones Shirt
These numbers are body measurements like a tailor would take.
Size : Collar : Sleeve : Chest : Waist
S: 14" : 33 1/2" : up to 38" : up to 34"
M: 15" : 34 1/2" : up to 38": up to 38"
L A: 15 1/2" : 35 1/2" : up to 42" : up to 38"
L B: 16" : 35 1/2" : up to 46" : up to 43"
XL: 17" : 36 1/2" : up to 50" : up to 46"
XXL A: 17" : 37" : up to 50" : up to 50"
XXL B: 18" : 37 1/2" : up to 54" : up to 54"
fuzzjunk
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by fuzzjunk »

Well I just spoke to someone at Todd's (maybe it was him?), he told me that they don't do A and B sizes in MED anymore. He also agreed that the MED would be the best fit. I have an athletic build and workout regularly so some shirts tend to feel snug in the shoulders, biceps, and chest.

It looks that the sizing has changed a bit on there website, weightier or not the shirts have changed, I don't know. Here is what they list the current measurements as: NECK 15.".....SLEEVE 34.5".....CHEST 40-42".....WAIST 36-38" (size Med) http://www.toddscostumes.com/cgi/commer ... ey=357210M

I just ordered a med, will see how it fits when it comes in. Thanks for all your help Mountaineer.

-Scott
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

No problem, fuzzjunk, just trying to help.

I noticed those differences between the cached sizes and his current shirt write-up. I think it's important that we see how things, like this WPG shirt, change.

A few years ago I would have been swimming in the WPG shirt, now it's a pretty good fit.

I think that just about any of this gear, depending on the year it was ordered/purchased can have a major change in how it looks, fits, etc.

Even if it purchased from the same vendor these things change. I know my jackets, whips and the WPG shirt are like that.

So not too get too far off-topic, I hope you hold on to the WPG long enough to give a couple of comparison shots with your new Todd's Medium.

Color-wise, I'm interested to see what you get from Todd. (I've found all his stuff a great purchase.)
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

I just received a new WPG shirt and it's so much better than my old one. I've got really broad shoulders, so my old xl was like a tent. it was so big all the way down from shoulders to waist, that I just swam in it. This new cut, which is nicely tapered, looks and fits perfect...roomy enough in the shoulders, but not bagging out like a hot air balloon at the bottom. Very nice change, WPG.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Somebody once wore it over their Wested. :P
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

:lol:
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

:rolling:

I'll try to snap some comp pics between this and my Todd's. It may be a few days, but I'll try.
fuzzjunk
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by fuzzjunk »

Well my Todd's shirt came in today, length wise the shirt fits good, but width wise its big. On Todd's website its said to be 40-42" chest, and 36-38" waist, but it fits bigger than my WPG that's suppose to be 42" chest/ 40" waist.

I do love everything else about the shirt, the fabric, feel, and the wrinkly look it has. I don't even feel the color is as yellow as some people say it is. I think I just might try to take the shirt in a bit myself or see if my good old mom can do it. If it was just a couple of inches taken in all around I think it would fit perfectly. I'll try to post some comparison pics once I get the camera back.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Just ordered a regular medium. 2 inches shorter than my small/long, (Should still be 2 inches longer than Todd's) 4 inches bigger around, chest and waist. Have sewing machine - Will alter (if needed). Will review it here in about 2 weeks. :-k The small/long I have is fine for casual wear, extremely form-fitting, but I need something roomier for actual action/adventure.
Last edited by 3thoubucks on Sat May 22, 2010 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Got it. Fits great, no mods needed. I need 4 more. I'm very satisfied! :) It's remarkable how Mitch's WPG looks darker than his Todd's, and Mountaineer's WPG looks lighter than his Todd's. I'm really happy with the color of my WPGs, I can't stand the Todd's color. ------ Mitch's - (first and second shirts, WPG on top) Image . ..... Mountaineer's- ( Todd's left , WPG right) Image
DarenHenryW wrote:.
MY WPG SHIRT ROCKS!!!!
DHW :TOH:
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

3K$, glad you like your shirt as well. I really do like the current WPG shirt.

I will say that my Todd's is very old, about summer 2008, and I'm under the belief that the color (as well as fit based on fuzzjunk's assessment of his recent Todd's) changed at some point between then and now. (Sorry about that bum luck with shirts, fuzzjunk.)

However, I think you hit on something big: simple differences in lighting/environment can make the same thing look very different.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

3K$ is what I paid for the headpiece!...so keep ur hands off!

..other than that it is a nice shirt.
Indy_1971
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indy_1971 »

Hey Daren and Mitch,
I think I'm about the same size as both of you.
Any chance you could post some measurements of the WPG M-L?
If you have some spare time, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks! :TOH:
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Medium. Regular length. Happy customer. Image
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Indy_1971 wrote:Hey Daren and Mitch,
Oooops!
Daren might get to this fastrer than I can, '71...
My shirt went in the wash about 10 minutes ago (and in about a half hour from now I'm heading out the door for a good chunk of the day) - Sorry!
:roll:
But if Daren doesn't get a chance to get you these numbers and your question is unanswered later today when I get home, let me ask:
What measurements specifically were you looking for?
I promise if I see that it hasn't been answered by DHW when I get home, I'll do my best to make sure you don't wait too long.
:)
Cheers,
Mitch
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Try this size chart from WPG's website:

SIZE LENGTH SLEEVE YOKE CHEST WAIST COLLAR
S 34 22 ¾ 20 ½ 42 40 14 ½
S-L 36 24 ¼ 21 ½ 42 40 14 ½
M 34 23 ½ 21 46 44 15 ½
M-L 36 25 22 46 44 15 ½
L 34 24 ½ 21 ½ 50 48 16 ½
L-L 36 26 22 ½ 50 48 16 ½
XL 34 24 ½ 21 ½ 54 52 17 ½
XL-L 36 26 22 ½ 54 52 17 ½
2XL 34 24 ½ 21 ½ 56 54 18 ½
2XL-L 36 26 22 ½ 56 54 18 ½

I wear a Large and it fits like one, if that is any help.
Indy_1971
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indy_1971 »

Mitch LaRue wrote:
Indy_1971 wrote:Hey Daren and Mitch,
Oooops!
Daren might get to this fastrer than I can, '71...
My shirt went in the wash about 10 minutes ago (and in about a half hour from now I'm heading out the door for a good chunk of the day) - Sorry!
:roll:
But if Daren doesn't get a chance to get you these numbers and your question is unanswered later today when I get home, let me ask:
What measurements specifically were you looking for?
I promise if I see that it hasn't been answered by DHW when I get home, I'll do my best to make sure you don't wait too long.
:)
Cheers,
Mitch
Hey Mitch,
I think specifically chest and shoulders. Also, does it taper alot from the chest to the mid-section? Thanks Mitch. :TOH:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Hi Indy'71
Well, I just grabbed the measuring tape and checked my shirt (a "Medium-Long") just to see if they matched up with the numbers Tex mentioned above and I'm happy to say they DO.
Every one.
Dead on, in fact... So, they really tell the whole story.

As for your question "Also, does it taper alot from the chest to the mid-section?"... Well, I wouldn't say "aLOT", but it does taper a little to a much more comfortable - and somewhat tailored looking/feeling - fit (speaking for myself, anyways...)

When laid flat, the measure ("from pit-to-pit" as they say) was exactly 23 inches (which gives a total of 46 inches all the way around)
When I measured the yoke, once again I got exactly 22 inches... so, that'll tell you a little bit about how it was fitting around the width of the shoulders...

But I think the TWO other numbers that might help you out a bit are these:
- When I measured the distance of the seam that leads from the collar to the seam of the shoulder (on which the epaulette sits), it measures 8 inches (on each side, obviously)
- The total circumference of sleeve - from where the top of it meets the shoulder seam down to the pit and back up again, I get a circumference of 20 inches.

Hope this helps you out, '71.
Indy_1971
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indy_1971 »

Thanks a lot Mitch! That was a big help. I'm always a little skeptical when it comes to measurement charts. Good to have someone verify its accuracy. Thanks again.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

No problem.
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Seated in a Pan Am Sea Plane, flying over a map of Glendale, CA

Post by Indiana Jake »

Thanks to the info on this post, I can also say that I now own a newer WPG shirt. I just bought the XL Long. and opened it today. I put it on, and it fits just great. I have purchased every XXL shirt on the market I can think of. In fact, a couple of years ago, I purchased a WPG XXL Long. What a mistake. Not only was the fabric thicker. but the shirt had a vent or pleat in the back, and the quality did not appear as good. This new run of shirts really looks great. I might also add the the epaulets look more correct than most shirts I've seen. Also, this shirt does not have the slim cut that some of the other shirts have. Bad if your thin, but good if you like a little more room in the middle. I might also add that it is not too blouse-y through the middle either. Well, it's off to the washing machine. FYI, here are my specs and why it fit well. I am 6 ft tall, 230 lbs, and wear a size 46 jacket. OK, OK, i will have to get a pic of me wearing it soon it the 'Cairo' style, sans jacket.

Indiana Jake