Indy in Linen.

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Indy in Linen.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Well like it say's, I bought the "close enough" linen shirt from sears. (see the the close enough thread).
Since they didn't have the natural in stock, I bought the white and dyed it my self. Used tea and a dash of Ritt Tan, Pearl Grey and a dash of brown. I also had a pair of white of white linen pants, which I dyed a dark color, used the same bath just added more dark brown. I think the pants need to be darker, but the shirt I'm happy with.
Heres the link to Sears: http://www.sears.com:80/shc/s/p_10153_1 ... 000P?mv=rr

I did the just for a lark, I may even go and buy another white, nice shirt.
Here are some pic's. Let me know what you think and has anyone else done anything similar.

[urlImage][/url]

Croft :mrgreen:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Indy in Linen.

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Shirt looks great, especially in the direct sunlight.

I'd take the pants much darker though. Based on the color contract to the belt they still look almost white. Tundrarider dyed a pair of pants, though I think the original color was pretty dark to begin with. IIRC he used RIT mocha for the pants.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

I'll bet that's super comfortable!
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Hey Croft. Great pictures and great work on the linen gear! :clap: :clap: :clap:

You know, its interesting that you should post this, because I have always thought that Indy would look great wearing linen, and its also such a breathable fabric. :D

I have a couple of linen style Indy shirts myself. :TOH:
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Thanks all. I'm very pleased so far with the out come.

Indiana Jeff
I'd take the pants much darker though.
I agree, they're still way to light in color, so first chance I'll try and darken them up. Mocha you say,hmmm I'll have to look for it, thanks for the tip.

Snakewhip_sable
I'll bet that's super comfortable!
Yes they are very comfortable, I wore the shirt yesterday and it was very warm out. I worn another pair of linen pants and the whole outfit was comfortable and relaxed.

Canyon wrote:
Hey Croft. Great pictures and great work on the linen gear!

You know, its interesting that you should post this, because I have always thought that Indy would look great wearing linen, and its also such a breathable fabric.

I have a couple of linen style Indy shirts myself.
Hey Croft. Great pictures and great work on the linen gear! :clap: :clap: :clap:

You know, its interesting that you should post this, because I have always thought that Indy would look great wearing linen, and its also such a breathable fabric. :D

I have a couple of linen style Indy shirts myself. :TOH:
You have some Indy like linen shirts, I'd love to see em, and I agree, I'm sure his shirt could have been linen and OD cargo's, add in the rest and there you have it.

Thanks again, Croft :mrgreen:
Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Adventure Dog »

My first Indy close-enough shirt was a linen shirt from Target that was dyed, and I still have it, though it's way to big for me now. You've got a great shirt! And like everyone's said, its got to be super light and soft!
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Is the shirt that scratchy stiff linen, or this stuff on the softer side. Because I mail-ordered a linen shirt last month that felt like snadpaper against my skin. Sent it back pronto!

I like these, and if they are soft, I might grab me one or two.
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

I like the way these shirts look too, nice find Indy Croft. I have a linen shirt bought several years ago, it became softer the more I wore it and washed. :tup:

I especially liked it in the winter, feels more comfortable.

Regards,

Soup
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Hmm, just look on sears.com. They only have small available in White, and large and XXL in Natural. What size is that and how does it fit?

Excelsior!
Riothamus
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Hey Chewie, naw it's not to stiff, feels fine against my skin. I'm going to wear it some and next time it's washed I'll try a dash of fabric softner. But I'd go to Sears and try one on, I think you'll like it.

Heyriothamus, size is a Med. and it fits fine, nice and loose.
It's not my find though, so I can't take any credit, but as soon as I saw on the "close enough thread", I knew I had to get one. Heck I'll probaly go and buy another and keep this one white.

My recomendation: go buy one, you like it as a close enough.

Croft :mrgreen:
Spatterdash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Spatterdash »

Couple of comments, here -

The sears site listed above now has all sizes and four colors; white, natural, light ash and sky blue. Just search for "linen shirt", you'll find it.

Second, I'm a huge fan of linen and always wanted a safari or bush shirt made of it. Cotton gets wet with sweat, it sticks to the skin. Linen gets wet, it still hangs away from the skin and as the air passes though it, you get a "swamp-cooler" effect that is literally five times cooler than cotton. There is a reason linen is king in the tropics, and all those folks in the caribbean and south america wear it all the time.

I always wondered why some folks from the tropics wore the shirt sleeves down when doing yardwork. I finally realized many were wearing linen. The sleeves protected them from sunburn, but still kept them cool.

Great stuff.
Just bought two of these.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

I've seen this shirt for months at Sears. Today it went from $40 to $11, and I got one. I got one in Natural, a great match for the Raiders color, and Indiana Croft has basicly matched it! 55% linen, 45% cotton. Great tailoring. If you'd like a hot weather shirt, you'd like this one because the fabric is extremely breathable. I cut the little staps over the epauletes off.
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

I went to sears to check these out and they had none... however, they had a very similar (almost identical) cotton shirt from the same maker for about $22 I think. Came home and found what I'm pretty sure is the same thing on line for $11.99 :-s It fits though, so I guess that means I can buy the same size in the linen online and know it'll fit! Even if they don't have a screen accurate color available online... I'll probably end up getting pics or something up soon :TOH:

-KB :)