G&B compared to a US Wings

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

G&B compared to a US Wings

Post by CM »

I have a G&B and am considering a Wings. The only thing I don't liek about them is the huge pockets. Can anyone who has owned both tell me what the differences are, apart from the obvious - leather facings, yoke? How does the goat of each brand compare, the lining material and the weight (in goat)? And anything else noteworthy. I am a medium to thin build and almost 6ft 2, does Wings cater for this size?

Cheers - CM
Michigan Smith
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: G&B compared to a US Wings

Post by Michigan Smith »

I'm 6'2 (used to be thin). I could not get what I considered to be a decent fit in either a USW or G&B with off the rack sizing. The best I had with USW was a large long, and even then I had to turn the the sleeve cuffs out from the inside to lengthen them a little more. I had another USW in XL, and turned the sleeves out on it as well. It was too big in the body and still too short in the sleeves. G&B was a no go because if I got decent sleeve length (extra long), the body was too long. I'd have had to have a jacket "made to measure" as they call it, which is extra $125 as I recall at the that time. I don't think they even do made to measure anymore.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Wings jackets are good for tall guys - the length tends to be the main complaint among us regular dudes. However, they are cut more generously than a G&B. I don't OWN a G&B, but I did try one on and have seen several in person. All goat, I think. G&B's goat felt a smidge thicker and heavier, and the grain on the one I tried was deeper.

Basically, if you prefer a looser fit, Wings is your winner. For a trimmer fit, G&B.
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

I think, CM, that the upcoming re-release of the older Cooper patterns, which Sarge is going to run in the "striated" lambskin (like from the early 80s) and in horsehide, will be using the patterns which incorporate the smaller pockets...at 7"...so, that might be what you're waiting for.

Regards!
Indydawg
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:Wings jackets are good for tall guys - the length tends to be the main complaint among us regular dudes. However, they are cut more generously than a G&B. I don't OWN a G&B, but I did try one on and have seen several in person. All goat, I think. G&B's goat felt a smidge thicker and heavier, and the grain on the one I tried was deeper.

Basically, if you prefer a looser fit, Wings is your winner. For a trimmer fit, G&B.
I had both these jakets at one time and agree with Chewie. I had USW medium and then got a G&B, 38T, both goat.
Being thin myself, I kept the G&B. Arms cut thinner and body also cut closer to the body. Better fit for me.
G&B leather is stiffer and a little heavier than USW.
G&b offers jackets in suit sizes 36,38,42 etc. USW only sm, med ,x-l ,etc. Both offer tall versions of each.
G&B straps have the correct strap sliders, USW had D-rings, but you can change those easily.
Collar on G&B is smaller, and fits closer on the neck. USW tends to "open up " more, even when the jacket is fully zipped. I didn't like that.
The G&B lining is tailered nicer,actually has inner pleats that work with the outside pleats of the leather.
Pockets on the GB are rather small compared to the USW but still quite adequate. I like the pocket snaps better on the GB, they are smaller but seem easier to use.
I have not checked lately, but USW is more reasonably priced. G&B higher $ but worth it if you can afford it.
At any rate, I found myself wearing the G&B almost all the time , so I sold the USW.
Applied the proceeds to a new whip!

USW is still a very good jacket, but I prefered my Gibson/ Barnes. If you need/like the fuller cut, the USW probably would serve you just as well.

The new USW updates sound very interesting Indydawg!!
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Thank you all - well expressed and detailed. Interesting. My G&B 42T fits well, it is a slightly loose but not baggy fit. Indydwag, it could be interesting to wait for a bit, but goat is my hide of choice.

Cheers all.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Hey CM, here are a couple pics of my well worn Wings goatskin for your consideration. I'm not punching any Nazis or anything, just doing dad stuff, but they should show you how it fits and what the pockets look like. I had a thread about this a while back, but it has the smallest pockets of all my Indy jackets, and of all the Wings offering I've seen so far. Here it is, size L.

Weston
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Weston, wow, that's one of the best looking jackets I've seen. I fear that Wings no longer makes them like that. Certainly those pockets are from 5 or more years back, going by my memory and the website. And brilliant pockets, man, rockin'...
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

It's hard to tell but the new Wings special offering looks like it may have the smaller pockets.
Some of the other special offers are supposed to be to older patterns so may have smaller pockets as well.
I don't think any will be goat though, but the antique Italian cowhide is supposed to be lighter weight. Later there is supposed to be a horse hide as well. (mentioned in the vendor section)
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

RCSignals wrote:It's hard to tell but the new Wings special offering looks like it may have the smaller pockets.
Some of the other special offers are supposed to be to older patterns so may have smaller pockets as well.
I don't think any will be goat though, but the antique Italian cowhide is supposed to be lighter weight. Later there is supposed to be a horse hide as well. (mentioned in the vendor section)

HH might be interesting but distressed leathers I'm not big on. Wings has had many pocket configerations and sizes over the years but Westons are not just smaller, they have a generous pocket flap of almost LC dimentions. G&B has made them like that in the past too. HH with good pockets... I'm there.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Yeah, Weston's looks like my oldest Wings, a second hand black goatskin. The pockets, especially. I love that jacket. The new goatskin I have is cut fuller and has larger pockets. (However, the pockets just are not as large as people make out.) I'm still waffling on wether or not to keep the new one. The arrival of the new ones offerings should help me decide.

If you look at Weston's collar, that effect does not require years of wear. Wetting the collar and working it by hand every now and then does wonders for it. Also, wear your goatskin in the rain as much as you can. This will help it soften up faster.
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

HMMM... One other minor detail difference I forgot about.

G&B has the Euro-style left side zipper pull. (takes a little getting used to)

My USW had standard American right side pull.

Yeah Weston, my USW pockets were a bit larger than yours shows.
Bought mine maybe 3 years ago...?
bullit
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bullit »

Do G&B make theirs with inside facings? im considering theirs for my next jacket purchase.

Bullitt.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Weston, that is brilliant... the color is perfect, the drape, the kiddo. Evidently Indy and Willie Scott had that one. Really, that is a keeper (the jacket and of course the kid).
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Great looking jacket, Weston! :clap:
bullit wrote:Do G&B make theirs with inside facings? im considering theirs for my next jacket purchase.

Bullitt.
No, G&B does not have inside facings. I've been quite happy with my G&B goatskin: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43337&start=0&hilit=goat I debated quite a while between U.S. Wings and G&B, and I really think both make superb jackets. For me one of the tipping points was the G&B having more precise sizings with using the suit jacket system. But I have to say that those new offerings by U.S. Wings are extremely good looking, too. :tup:

:TOH: Best wishes,
NS
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

For an extra $200 odd they'll put facings on it for you. If you want to pay all that extra! I do wish my G&B had facings. I find the lack of them annoying and I coudln't give a toss about SA here.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

facings are SA to the Crystal skulls jacket ;) :lol:
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Nebraska, I'd love to see some pics of your G&B now that you've had a little time to break it in. I had a tough time deciding between the two when I bought my Wings jacket, and could not have gone wrong either way, but in the end the Wings was more affordable and that's what made the decision for me. I've always loved the style details of the G&B.

Thanks for the good words guys! I was hoping to provide CM with a decent reference as to what these look like, but it sounds as though this might not be quite the same jacket you would get today. Does anyone have a pics of a newer Wings goatskin jacket? It might be helpful, then we could see it compared to mine and Nebraskas.

It does take a long time to get a jacket to look like this just by wearing it; I have at least 6 years into mine. I hope Wings hasn't changed their goatskin, this stuff looks great, feels great, ages beautifully, and is as tough as nails!

Weston
Michigan Smith
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Michigan Smith »

CM wrote:For an extra $200 odd they'll put facings on it for you. If you want to pay all that extra! I do wish my G&B had facings. I find the lack of them annoying and I coudln't give a toss about SA here.
Another reason I could never bring myself to buy a G&B.
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Weston wrote:Nebraska, I'd love to see some pics of your G&B now that you've had a little time to break it in...
Here's the most recent photo of my G&B from earlier this month (sorry it isn't a little more close up on the jacket):

I'll be adding some snaps to the stormflap soon (see this thread), so I'll try and post photos of it then, too.

:TOH: best wishes,
NS