Some big US Wings Indy jacket news

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Some big US Wings Indy jacket news

Post by blueoakleyz »

Hollowpond wrote:Maybe its just me, but if I hadn't been following this thread from the very beginning, I would be soooo confused. This thread has an ongoing conversation on virtually every page about 3 different jackets. I have been following it (very closely) and every now and then I see a post about something and I'm like, Is this about the cowhide? The lightweight lamb? The striated lamb? What the heck!!! ](*,) DEFINATELY, not telling the mods how to do their job, but am I the only one who thinks this would be less confusing if it were divided into three seperate threads?

Travis
ps Thanks for the measurements :M: :TOH:
Not a bad idea. And I'd prefer it in the leather jacket forum. Something odd about discussing this stuff in the vendor announcement forum.
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

The lambskin looks good, I love the design and the look. Is there a way to get a jacket without the storm flap buttons? Since Raiders did not have any storm flap buttons. I know it is great for a LC jacket. Anyway this could be done. Otherwise I absolutely love the look of the lambskin. Looks great. :clap:

IndianaChris
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Hollowpond wrote:Maybe its just me, but if I hadn't been following this thread from the very beginning, I would be soooo confused. This thread has an ongoing conversation on virtually every page about 3 different jackets. I have been following it (very closely) and every now and then I see a post about something and I'm like, Is this about the cowhide? The lightweight lamb? The striated lamb? What the heck!!! ](*,) DEFINATELY, not telling the mods how to do their job, but am I the only one who thinks this would be less confusing if it were divided into three seperate threads?

Travis
ps Thanks for the measurements :M: :TOH:
I WASN'T following the threads from the beginning, and I had to email a friend to help me wade through it. #-o
Longinus
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Longinus »

RaiderZee wrote:WOW, now I'm totally confused. Michaelson's Large measurements are basically the same as a Medium on the chart:

Chart M Chest: 24"
Mich. L Chest: 23.5"
Chart L Chest: 25.5"

Chart M Sleeve: 35.25"
Mich. L Sleeve: 35.5"
Chart L Sleeve: 36"

My head hurts . . .

RZ
Some folks have mentioned that their Wings jackets run a bit big. I'm still keeping myself awake at night debating between an XL and a 2X...

I know Sgt. Hack is probably extremely busy, and I'd hate to bother him with yet another goofball question from my end. Michaelson's measurements seem to verify what Chewbacca Jones mentioned, that Wings run a tad large. Not wanting to turn this into a full-blown debate, but rather to help guide some of us (read: me), has anyone had the experience with a Wings jacket where the jacket *didn't* fit a bit on the larger side?

Thanks for your help all :TOH:
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Now you've got ME nervous! I wear between a size 44 and 46 sport coat, and based on the chart from US Wings, I'm right between an L and an XL. I heard they run big, so I went with L, but now I'm second guessing myself. HELP!
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

maboot38 wrote:Now you've got ME nervous! I wear between a size 44 and 46 sport coat, and based on the chart from US Wings, I'm right between an L and an XL. I heard they run big, so I went with L, but now I'm second guessing myself. HELP!
I'm in the same boat as you and Longinus. I may order a XL and 2XL, see which one fits best then sell the other here or return back to US Wings. See I wear a 44L, am 6'3", 212 lbs. but have been working out too. Also I know the US Wings site suggests going up a size if there are no longs. So I don't know which one would look best. Food for thought.
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Longinus,

I got a vintage cow signature series back in summer '08 in 2XL long. I was about 6'2" and ~265 lbs, wore at least a 48 or 50 suit coat and 42 waist.

This jacket was a little long in both sleeves and body and plenty roomy with long sleeve thick shirts and even layering another light jacket or sweater. Now I'm down to ~215, and hopefully aiming for <=200lbs and 38-40 waist, I'm swimming in it.

I'm in the same boat, L or XL? I think I need an XL because of sleeve length. I have a Travelsmith safari jacket in L long that fits perfectly with little to no layering room. If only Wings was doing longs!!! ](*,)

Hopefully my experiences with the 2XL long will help you decide.

Excelsior!
Riothamus
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Hmmm, all of this worrying about size is contagious. :lol: I got lucky in that, when I ordered my Wings CE, I went with a XXL and it fit perfectly. So much so, in fact, that I used it as the basis for my CS with Tony. I've ordered a XXL in the antique cowhide as well. I usually wear a 50 in most jackets.
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

JC1972 wrote:
maboot38 wrote:Now you've got ME nervous! I wear between a size 44 and 46 sport coat, and based on the chart from US Wings, I'm right between an L and an XL. I heard they run big, so I went with L, but now I'm second guessing myself. HELP!
I'm in the same boat as you and Longinus. I may order a XL and 2XL, see which one fits best then sell the other here or return back to US Wings. See I wear a 44L, am 6'3", 212 lbs. but have been working out too. Also I know the US Wings site suggests going up a size if there are no longs. So I don't know which one would look best. Food for thought.
Well in the same boat as you guys. I'm 6'3" and 209 lbs. I own a Wings CS Limited Edition Indy Jacket and it's a XL, it's a little big, and the length is perfect. I like it being a little roomy because when it getS real COLD its great for layering!
Last edited by Indyzane on Thu May 06, 2010 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Maybe what I'll do is get an XL in the cow, since that is more of a winter jacket than the lamb. Then I can definitely layer.

If I have enough sleeve length in the XL, maybe I'll try the L in the lamb since I want to wear it during warmer months and not be layering... :-k

Decisions, decisions...

Riothamus
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Good morning! :TOH:

Thanks for posting the specs for me TS! Your help was invaluable, and some of the information (like the collar stand and actual collar measure) was asked for BY TS, so he participated in the information gathering.

I also compared the collar measurements to my 'Large' Wings VIP, and found the collars are definitely different. I REALLY liked the look of the collar the moment I opened the box, and until I was asked to measure it, I really couldn't figure out WHY it looked so different. Now I know!

Also, keep in mind, this jacket I measured was a prototype! The ONLY markings on the jacket was a small label in the collar marked 'L'.There is absolutely nothing indicating maker or manufacturer. I'd still recommend using the chart as the benchmark of what will be arriving as the production versions are delivered.

Regards! Michaelson
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Good advice as always Michaelson! :TOH:

I'll just take a deep breath, and wait for the cows to come in and try it on...

:anxious:

Riothamus
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I just got off the phone with US Wings (dang you people for bringing worry into my serene existence! :lol: ) and was told that a 2Xl should fit the bill fine for me.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

crismans wrote:(dang you people for bringing worry into my serene existence! :lol: )
Hey, old friend, we do what we can..... :CR:

Regards! Michaelson
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

It's a conspiracy, I tell you! :lol:

At any rate, based on what I was told, it appears that the fit of the antique cowhide is close to what the fit is on at least the CE Indy jacket (and, thus, I'm assuming most of the Wings Indy jackets). So, if you've had any experience with Wings sizing in the past, that should serve you well here.

As a point of comparison, I can wear a 50 comfortably in an Expedition and an OTR Wested and a XXL fits me great. So, those worrying about chest sizes can use that hopefully. Those worried about length and sleeve size are on your own! :twisted:
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Michaelson wrote:Thanks for posting the specs for me TS! Your help was invaluable, and some of the information (like the collar stand and actual collar measure) was asked for BY TS, so he participated in the information gathering.

Regards! Michaelson
I'm glad I was able to help, also the curiosity was killing me so it was more self serving than anything!!! \:D/

... and M, speaking of self serving, I'm on my 17th large pizza :-0 ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

...well, you know what you're shooting for, so keep shoving it in.... :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

How is the texture of the new Italian cowhide? Is it like the lambtouch?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Very much so, but fairly stiff right out of the box. It's going to quickly break in with wear, I can tell.

Regards! Michaelson
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

What a gorgeous jacket! I love it. I've been looking into a new jacket and I think this one is it! When is the estimated arrival date for these lamb jackets?

Dave
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

crismans wrote: As a point of comparison, I can wear a 50 comfortably in an Expedition and an OTR Wested and a XXL fits me great. So, those worrying about chest sizes can use that hopefully. Those worried about length and sleeve size are on your own! :twisted:
OK, hold onto your butts! A custom 50 Wested barely fit me (though that might have been an error on their part), a 48 Expedition fits me, but I usually have to wear a 50 suit jacket, or a XXL in almost everything. Every one of my XXL Wings jackets fits a little differently, from "gee, this feels like it was made for me" to "maybe I should go down a size." This suggests to me that either age, hide, or production variations (or even all three) contribute to fit.

Another member did point out, also, that if you are on the smaller end of a size, you might find the jacket big, while being on the upper end of the size, you'll find the fit trimmer. Quite logical, really. The woman I spoke to at Wings tells me that sizing down would be a bad idea, suggesting that I would end up with a jacket a little too small, versus one a little to big. So I'm sticking with XXL, knowing I can return it... and knowing that others will probably make size errors, my odds of getting an exchange aren't that bad.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Dave,
When I called earlier today, the woman told me 4-6 weeks. I also mentioned how the site doesn't mention an availability date so it seems like its available now. She then said she'd tell the web site designer to change the site and add that.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Thank, Jim. I really love the look of this lamb jacket. The striated lamb sounds appealing, but this thing is so beautiful. I guess I'll wait till we see pictures of the striated lamb before I pull the trigger on either.

Dave
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:
crismans wrote: As a point of comparison, I can wear a 50 comfortably in an Expedition and an OTR Wested and a XXL fits me great. So, those worrying about chest sizes can use that hopefully. Those worried about length and sleeve size are on your own! :twisted:
OK, hold onto your butts! A custom 50 Wested barely fit me (though that might have been an error on their part), a 48 Expedition fits me, but I usually have to wear a 50 suit jacket, or a XXL in almost everything. Every one of my XXL Wings jackets fits a little differently, from "gee, this feels like it was made for me" to "maybe I should go down a size." This suggests to me that either age, hide, or production variations (or even all three) contribute to fit.
Why do you delight so in poking holes in my theories? :-k :lol:

But I agree, keep those tags on until you're absolutley sure of the fit. If the fit is wrong, others will have made mistakes as well. We'll all swap out. :H:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

....butt I don't smoke! Do you honestly think we're pulling these theories out of our.... :[ [-X
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

crismans wrote: Why do you delight so in poking holes in my theories? :-k :lol:
Because, I'm an evil Dastard! :twisted:
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

Well I swapped several emails with Sarge today. What a great guy! I gave him my height, weight and sleeve length and he said definately go with a Large. So I'm thinking that Michaelson's measurements were dead-on, and that the sizing chart shows jackets to be a bit bigger than they actually are. :M: :TOH:

Sarge said he wished that EVERY FAN would email him with height, weight and sleeve length to confirm their order (that's a quote). Saves time and money in the end.

RZ
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Yes, RZ-and he really IS dead-on right about 95% of the time...and those other times, he corrects the error at HIS cost...not the buyers'.
;)
:TOH:
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Question about layaway... Can you do it on the Wings web site or do you have to call and ask?
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

I'd just call and ask...I have no idea.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

I just got an e-mail from Wings concerning the new cut on the prototype Michaelson received. It looks like that new collar he was so fond of will be on the new jackets coming out soon (i.e. the lamb). :D

-TS
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Indyzane wrote:Question about layaway... Can you do it on the Wings web site or do you have to call and ask?
Layaway is call and set it up. No option that I know of on the website. I have the cow jacket setup for layaway.

Excelsior!
Riothamus
ProfessorHenryWJonesJr
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Just shaking my head and laughing at the stupidity.

Post by ProfessorHenryWJonesJr »

Is it me or did US Wings change the name of Antique Cowhide Indy-Style jacket? For on the US Wings website, it reads Antique Cowhide Indy-Style HERO jacket.

Not that it matters but, I was just wondering :-k Regardless, I am awaiting in eager anticipation for arrival of the jacket. :)
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

I think you have the earlier versions stuck in your head. I think this one has said "hero" since it was put up.
ProfessorHenryWJonesJr
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Just shaking my head and laughing at the stupidity.

Post by ProfessorHenryWJonesJr »

After checking the paperwork that I printed out when I placed the pre-order the Antique Cowhide jacket, the original heading of the jacket when it first appeared on the US Wings Website read "Antique Cowhide Indy-Style Adventurer Jacket".

Wonder what prompted the change? :-k

Anyway, like I said, regardless of the change.......June 1st cannot arrive soon enough. ](*,)
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Tennessee Smith wrote:Antique Cowhide Measurements are here from Michaelson!!!!!

The back panel yoke has 1” between the action pleat and shoulder seam

Again, this was all from M. Enjoy \:D/

-TS
So what we see of the back in the photo is an illusion of the back panel going all the way to the shoulder seam?
Last edited by RCSignals on Sat May 08, 2010 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Tennessee Smith wrote:Antique Cowhide Measurements are here from Michaelson!!!!!

I just got off the phone with Michaelson :M: , he’s having computer problems and wanted me to post the measurements of the Large he received from Sgt. Hack since everyone wants to know about it. I’ll try my best to translate what was said and how I wrote it down so… bare with me. ;)

Anyways, he said the color is a dark chocolate with mocha highlights when looked at in the light. He said the leather is thinner than the Collector’s edition but feels robust; it’s also 1/3 lighter. He also mentioned that if anyone practices the Dark Arts of Distressing this jacket is for you since it looks as if it will show the mocha easier than others. :twisted:

He said that in his personal opinion the cut of this jacket is the best one he’s seen from Wings. And he’s seen them all (well, except for that Kangaroo hide). The Collar is what he was so impressed about though. He stated that this was the first US Wings jacket that had a taper to the collar and he said the collar was perfect.

Dimensions

Collar is 3” to the point and that tapers back to 2”, which goes around the neck to widen to 3” on the other side.

Pocket size – 7”W x 8 7/8”L
He said they were big enough for his hands and didn’t put any strain on the jacket when he put his hand in there

1 inside pocket, left hand side

The back panel yoke has 1” between the action pleat and shoulder seam

The chest from arm pit to arm pit is 23 ½” which equals a size 47

The sleeve length
35 ½” from center collar to cuff
25 ½” from shoulder seam to cuff

The back length is 27” from base of collar to bottom of jacket

Have full leather facings

Storm flap comes up to base of collar stand

Side-straps are 4 3/8” above bottom of jacket

D-rings

Again, this was all from M. Enjoy \:D/

-TS

OK I can see Raider Z's confusion.

and
The chest from arm pit to arm pit is 23 ½” which equals a size 47
Does not equal a size 47. it is 47" total around, but is more like a size 44.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Does not equal a size 47. it is 47" total around, but is more like a size 44.
Well, I'm not a tailor and I just wrote down what M said to me and he said it would be a 47.
So what we see of the back in the photo is an illusion of the back panel going all the way to the shoulder seam?
Apparently so, because it wasn't that way on M's prototype. I specifically asked him about that.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, I believe we had a snafu in translation, TS. What I meant was it would be 47", not SIZE '47'.

Photos are supposed to be shot and posted tonight of the prototype, so we'll see how the day goes, but that's the current plan.
They may be inside shots now, as it started raining and is supposed to rain through Wednesday morning now. Rats. ](*,)

Regards! Michaelson
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, that should be expected. We went over a lot of numbers.

Good Times :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

...on SPEAKER phone, no less! I'm amazed you got as much as you did! :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

DR Ulloa wrote:Image

What a gorgeous jacket! I love it. I've been looking into a new jacket and I think this one is it! When is the estimated arrival date for these lamb jackets?

Dave
It says not to buy it if you plan to be 'drug by a truck'.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Photos are supposed to be shot and posted tonight of the prototype, so we'll see how the day goes, but that's the current plan.
They may be inside shots now, as it started raining and is supposed to rain through Wednesday morning now. Rats.
Can't wait to see the pictures!!
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Texan Scott wrote: It says not to buy it if you plan to be 'drug by a truck'.
But it'll be fine if you get "drug" by anything else. :CR:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Some jackets are made for urban archaeologists....... :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Current report is they're getting one order an hour on these jackets during business hours. It won't take long for all the jackets to be claimed before the first jacket even hits the loading dock! :shock:

Regards! Michaelson
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

On the NZ lamb?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I believe it was both the cowhide AND the pre-order lamb.

Regard! Michaelson
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Wow. I guess it's a good thing I got my orders in.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

So if we sent the email, we're good? They will tell us when to pay, right?

Travis