TONY NOWAK FOREVER (New Jacket)

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: TONY NOWAK FOREVER (New Jacket)

Post by blueoakleyz »

I love the Surrogates jacket. I wonder if anyone else can make one like it.
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

That raiders jacket is just perfection in my eyes...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Han Jones wrote:I speak to Riley daily. Bryan, Riley, and myself have been going back and forth about leather names and other various things about the shop. Most of Tony's info was in his head so we are all working together to get everything straight. If you have a paid order that you have not recived yet email them on tonynowak.com

No tipping any hands here just relaying the message and doing what I can to help out Tony's family.
Understood, as are we, Chris.

It would be nice if Riley would take the time to fill us in himself, as he's been a registered member of COW by his own request for over two weeks and has had access to the site for quite a while, as well as exchanged several emails with the administration during the process. It would keep the confusion to a minimum, as 'we' have been asked to do one thing by the Nowak family, and he's asking others to do something completely different.

Thanks for passing the word along to us!

Regards! Michaelson
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Han Jones wrote:I love the Surragates leather we have called it New Original leather. He and Bryan told me that the new original and 747 are the same leather, 747 being darker color. If you get a Surragates get it in new original and have them darken it like they did for the movie. I got mine undisstresed and I love it. If I were to get another I would get one in 747.
Today I got the leather samples Riley sent me. He sent me the 747, the Surragates, a CS, and a distressed CS. All of them are winners in my book! But that 747 is FANTASTIC! I am planning on getting a Raiders jacket from him, and I really think the 747 is the way to go! And I really love that Surragates leather! If I were to get another jacket from him a Surragates jacket is what I am going to get!
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I've said it several times before but the 747 is my favorite of any leather I've had.
Han Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Han Jones »

As I posted on the first page they will decide when they will take new orders. I just wanted to show people my jacket and that they can produce nothing more. I know a few members here by name and have been able to help them sort through some jackets that have already been made but have not shipped yet. I found someone yesterday on filmjackets and was able to him and Riley together to close the deal. Glad to help them. I guess I didn't know it was a secret that they were going to get people the jackets they paid for. I have never been much of a follower so I usually just do what I feel is best and thought it best to let people know that if they have a paid order that the y can email Riley at tonynowak@aol.com to let him know so they can find or make the jacket they orderd.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well done in helping folks sort out their jacket order hangups. :TOH:

Like I said, if Riley would use his access to the site, he could sort out even more himself. The door has been open for quite a while. I know that for a fact, as I saw copies of the coorespondence between him and the webmaster a couple weeks ago clarifying the name he chose and welcoming him to the site, along with Riley's reply, so he knows he has an active account and could have told the community that information himself. THAT would have been the best way for a new individual to get a solid start with potential customers, but that's just one mans opinion.

It was indeed a secret asked to be kept at request of the Nowak family, so it seems that's where the misunderstanding exists. If you've followed any of the Nowak discussions, several other members, well established Nowak customers no less, also hinted toward a change being in the wind, but were apparently not at liberty to say what either....once again at the request of the Nowak family. Not sure how all that got miscommunicated through the shop, but there's definitely a disconnect somewhere in the communication chain.

Anyway, that's now all water under the bridge. Good luck to Riley!

Speaking for myself, I've definitely learned something todayl

Regards! Michaelson
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

I didn't pay attention to the details at first but wow it would be nice if I could order something from someone related to Tony in the future, when I have a permanent set of measurements (ie after losing weight).

But what type of leather and what type of color is that Surrogates jacket? It's just perfect. Seriously. I like the brown a lot, seems like I'll never get a black leather jacket because I was originally planning on getting one like that in black but it just looks too good in that brown.

Actually I'm not sure whether or not I like the biswing back or not...(as opposed to one continuous wrap around jacket)

To clarify I mean what is the color compared to what is seen on screen, compared to other Indy jacket colors etc...
Han Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Han Jones »

I would say it is the same color as the original. The leather is a lighter shade of 747 that the guys darkened to get that color. Since the leather he used for the movie is gone this is the exact replacement. We called it "new original surragates leather" As far a the style goes I would not change a thing it just fits so well. I wish I would have known about it sooner.
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

Yeah looks awesome!
I like the back now that I look at it.

What about the leather? Cowhide right? Is it thick? Does it drape (not that it needs too)? What does it feel like to the touch? It looks like it has an aged texture which looks awesome to the touch.

How much did these cost?
IndianaSean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaSean »

JC1972 wrote:Mum's the word from me, I'm not gonna bother Riley and the family until an offical notice [-(

Roger that! I'm with ya

Sean :TOH:
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

It is nice to know that people that did order a jacket will get a jacket at some time. It is also great to know that someday, whenever it is, they will be taking orders again. I do understand we need to keep I guess quiet about the situation till they make some announcement. That is kind of what I have been waiting for. Anyway, looks like I am saving my dollars and pennies for a jacket from Riley whenever they start taking orders again, which could be a long ways off. Nice pics of the jackets you have Han Jones, very nice of you to show those to us.

IndianaChris
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

IndianaChris711 wrote:It is nice to know that people that did order a jacket will get a jacket at some time. It is also great to know that someday, whenever it is, they will be taking orders again. I do understand we need to keep I guess quiet about the situation till they make some announcement. That is kind of what I have been waiting for. Anyway, looks like I am saving my dollars and pennies for a jacket from Riley whenever they start taking orders again, which could be a long ways off. Nice pics of the jackets you have Han Jones, very nice of you to show those to us.

IndianaChris
If I read Jnickterm's post right, it appears Riley is taking orders again. I am sure an official announcement will come soon.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

According to Han's first post on page one and 8 posts above this one, they will announce in a few weeks when they will be accepting new orders.

jnicktem just said he got leather samples and what he plans on ordering. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Michaelson wrote:According to Han's first post on page one and 8 posts above this one, they will announce in a few weeks when they will be accepting new orders.

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson, you have an eagle eye sir! :notworthy:
I am looking forward to what lies ahead! (more mouth watering pics of delicious jackets that is)!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:lol: ;)
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

I haven't shared this story with anyone before now (please forgive me if I ramble a little... it's good therapy for me)...

The last e-mail that passed between Tony and I touched on how perhaps we'd speak on the phone on April 8th or 9th to have one last discussion about the jacket I was ordering (this was the plan because I was leaving town on vacation on the 10th)...
On the morning of the 9th I did my best to not stare impatiently at the phone while waiting for Tony to call... I was so excited thinking that once Tony and I ironed out the last few details, it would just be a matter of being in the queue until Tony got around to my jacket...
It got to be about noon on that Friday and I popped into C.O.W. to see what was new and was, of course, met with the worst news possible...
The loss of Tony Nowak... a big-hearted, wonderful guy and great friend to many who also made jackets second to NONE.

The suddenness on Tony's death really did a number on me (as I know it did on so many of us here as well) ...and the next day as I left for vacation, I was still in a daze about it... It was so unreal... It seemed so impossible...
The flights gave me a lot of time to think about the man and mourn him but when the plane landed, the fun & frivolity of our vacation plans did a good job of offering me ample distraction from dwelling on these matters for too long...
Once I was back home, of course, I did a little bit of reading-of-COW-posts-&-threads and quickly found myself re-discovering my somber mood.
In mourning the man during the month that's passed since then, I've often thought how clear and reassuring it is that his legacy - and reputation - will live on not only in the form of those beautiful jackets, but in the many, many stories and memories shared by those who knew him - or even simply met him or spoke with him - for a brief time.

One might ask why I mention all of this here, in THIS Thread, when this might perhaps be better suited for the "Tony Nowak RIP" Thread...
Well, I DO realize that I'm writing this in the "TONY NOWAK FOREVER" Thread started by Han Jones... But I feel compelled to do so because THIS Thread - and the news accompanying it that suggests that it seems as though very capable, very gifted hands will carry on with Tony's work - has helped me realize that (once I understand for certain that this work will continue - or if I'm contacted by Mr. Barrie or one of the people working with him - and the possibility arises of my jacket seeing completion) I know one thing for certain:

I'll be asking them to have "In Loving Memory of Tony Nowak" stitched on the inside...

I miss ya, Tony...
It was really nice talking to you those few times... I wish it had been more.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Nicely written Mitch - and an excellent idea for stitching on an upcoming Nowak Legacy jacket.
ProfessorHenryWJonesJr
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Just shaking my head and laughing at the stupidity.

Post by ProfessorHenryWJonesJr »

:tup: :TOH:

A touching and thoughful idea and gesture, sir.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Michaelson wrote:According to Han's first post on page one and 8 posts above this one, they will announce in a few weeks when they will be accepting new orders.

Regards! Michaelson
Let me explain... Riley is working with me right now just because I was already working with Tony to make me a jacket. I was going back and forth with Tony for quite some time talking about leathers and sizing. So Riley is considering me to be an existing order.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

crismans wrote:I've said it several times before but the 747 is my favorite of any leather I've had.

Can you describe its qualities for us? Weight, feel, etc. How does it compare, for instance to G&B goat, the Nowak CS leather?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

jnicktem wrote:

Regards! Michaelson
Let me explain... Riley is working with me right now just because I was already working with Tony to make me a jacket. I was going back and forth with Tony for quite some time talking about leathers and sizing. So Riley is considering me to be an existing order.
Thanks for the clarification.

It still goes to show yours is not a 'new order', but an existing one, and 'they will announce in a few weeks when they will be accepting new orders'. That was the question at hand. ;)

Regards! Micahelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I guess mine would be considered one as well but I think I'm waiting to let them get all caught up with people who paid.

John
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

CM wrote:
crismans wrote:I've said it several times before but the 747 is my favorite of any leather I've had.

Can you describe its qualities for us? Weight, feel, etc. How does it compare, for instance to G&B goat, the Nowak CS leather?
Hmm, descriptions, the bane of my existence. :-k :D As far as weight, it's more substantial than a Wested lamb or Todd's Standard but weighs less than a Nowak CS or a Wings cowhide jacket (just for some points of reference). When I think of a cowhide jacket, I think of the CS. It's a very soft and supple cowhide but it is definitely cowhide, you know? The 747 is more like lambskin as far as feel and drape. You can really get those sleeve creases that we all love. It has a "crinkly", antique look to it (DarrenHenryW has posted some great pictures of his 747 in the TN owners thread). As for the G and B goat, I think the jacket is EXTREMEMLY well put together but I'm not a fan of the leather myself. It's a bit "too perfect" if that makes sense. It is very tough, of course.

Other than lamb, I think the 747 is the best leather to get the Raiders jacket "reaction" that you see in the film out of the leathers that I've handled.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

BendingOak wrote:I guess mine would be considered one as well but I think I'm waiting to let them get all caught up with people who paid.

John
Yep, me too. I want them to be able to get everything together and settled before they begin my jacket.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

jnicktem wrote:
BendingOak wrote:I guess mine would be considered one as well but I think I'm waiting to let them get all caught up with people who paid.

John
Yep, me too. I want them to be able to get everything together and settled before they begin my jacket.

What were you working on with Tony.?
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

First we were discussing either a Raiders jacket or a CS jacket. Then we discussed which design would better suit me and what I am looking for in a jacket. Then of course what leather I want. Basically in the end we decided on a Raiders jacket in the 747 leather. But Tony wanted to send me some leather samples for me to look at before I made any firm decisions. Tony left the next day for Italy and the leather samples never got to me.

Riley told me they found what me and Tony were working on so he sent out the leather samples (got 2 days ago) and said he will work with me. I have every confidence in Riley to continue the excellent work Tony has provided for so many people.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

jnicktem wrote:First we were discussing either a Raiders jacket or a CS jacket. Then we discussed which design would better suit me and what I am looking for in a jacket. Then of course what leather I want. Basically in the end we decided on a Raiders jacket in the 747 leather. But Tony wanted to send me some leather samples for me to look at before I made any firm decisions. Tony left the next day for Italy and the leather samples never got to me.

Riley told me they found what me and Tony were working on so he sent out the leather samples (got 2 days ago) and said he will work with me. I have every confidence in Riley to continue the excellent work Tony has provided for so many people.

I wonder if Riley has my info from Tony. I have doubt about that because we only talked about it briefly. We were mostly talking about the movie Avatar. Now that I write this I don't think I even like talking about it. Im sorry, I don't even know why I feel that way.
MichaelJones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by MichaelJones »

:TOH: My experience with the new management at Nowak:

I wandered into the Nowak factory at el Segundo on April 15 with the intention of purchasing a Crystal Skull jacket. I was completely unaware of Tony's passing as I'd been travelling for a couple of weeks. All my dealings were with Riley and his staff. They were all very friendly and extremely professional,took all my details, happily showed me around and even let me try on one of Arnold Schwarzenegger's jackets. Once I got back to Australia a week later I sent an email to confirm my order. Riley promptly replied and proceeded to keep me informed at every step of the process, right up to cutting. Two days ago I received my Crystal Skull jacket. A really pleasant surprise as I'm used to waiting for months for stuff purchased from overseas. My Crystal Skull jacket is exactly what I asked for and I couldn't be happier with it. The Nowak tradition of quality service and workmanship definitely lives on with Riley and his team. :H:
sharkboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sharkboy »

I'm probably breaking a major rule on this forum to speak my mind, cause I am a Newbie, but it seems very unfortunate how quickly we have moved onto topics of " When do we order new jackets ?, and when do I get my jacket " from Tony's company so soon after his passing. I never had the opportunity to own one of his creations, but it is quite obvious that he was an artist, and a master, and I feel it's just too soon to be talking about moving on from remembering his great accomplishments and forgetting about his last words... " It's only a jacket "

Please remove me from COW if I have spoken out of turn, but this post it annoying.

Sincerely,

Sharkboy
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Perhaps its best for you to remember that Riley is his son, and he would like to preserve and build the business and the legacy. It is only a jacket, but it's also the livelihood of people that worked with and loved Tony.

I don't imagine that Tony wanted all his work to be relegated to serving as a sterile shrine, but rather to continue to be a vibrant and valued growing concern. Something to make people happy as well as to make his family happy. I think he'd be quite proud and I imagine Riley feels he can honor the memory best that way.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

sharkboy wrote:I'm probably breaking a major rule on this forum to speak my mind, cause I am a Newbie, but it seems very unfortunate how quickly we have moved onto topics of " When do we order new jackets ?, and when do I get my jacket " from Tony's company so soon after his passing. I never had the opportunity to own one of his creations, but it is quite obvious that he was an artist, and a master, and I feel it's just too soon to be talking about moving on from remembering his great accomplishments and forgetting about his last words... " It's only a jacket "

Please remove me from COW if I have spoken out of turn, but this post it annoying.

Sincerely,

Sharkboy
We don't have to treat Tony as if he's a holy figure, Sharkboy. He was a generous human being and his company will live on - a fitting memorial to a larger than life character. If the family are happy to stay in business, our job is to buy more jackets. ;)
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Tony's 'it's only a jacket' has less to with jackets than it does with 'there is much more to life'
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I agree, if you are in the market for a Indy jacket or any jacket for that matter get them from Tony Nowak company. Support his biz and his family. I think that's how Tony would want it. I think he would want people to live life fully.

When some time passes I will contact Riley and finish up with the order was talking with Tony about. I think people who paid should be handled first and when hey are ready I'm all over that new jacket. I think that's the best way to Tony.
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

On the other hand...I think Sharkboy's got a valid point that needs concession-

The reason this thread was allowed to survive at all was due to a disconnect between what we, as moderators and staff, had SPECIFICALLY been asked to do by Tony's family and Han's very sudden posting that seemed to indicate Tony's family was fully ready to move back into seeing about the business, when the family had, in fact, NOT put up notice on their website.

So-the cat got out of the bag pretty quickly and there was no turning back.

I think that Sharkboy's point is that EVERYONE should exercise the upmost respect, reservation, and reverence while discussing these matters-OUT OF RESPECT!! The goal here WAS, and STILL SHOULD BE, for EVERYONE to approach anyone in Tony's family for business reasons in a highly conscientious manner and not allow them to be bombarded with "Where's my jacket" requests and certainly to refrain from pressing for new orders to be taken.

I think you made an excellent point, Sharky!
Regards! :TOH:
Indydawg
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Don't you think asking here at COW the question " where is my jacket I paid for?" and When can I order a jacket?" is the respectful way. isn't better to ask these questions here than an e-mail to the family?

The notice went out that they were filling the already paid for orders first. After reading something like this the question is sure to be asked.

I myself did not contact about a jacket I was talking to Tony about before he went to Italy. I just don't feel right about it and this moment. I don't know why right now so I'm doing nothing. I have no idea when I will but I will.

I don't think anyone is saying that shark boy is wrong. It's how he feels. I can't tell him how he feels. I agree with how he feels in a way. The fact that I didn't like talking about it a few post back should show that.

I just think this is the better place to ask these questions. Specially when the family is moving ahead with filling paid orders. I think if the family is moving forward so should we. Take the lead from the.

John
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

I just think this is the better place to ask these questions. Specially when the family is moving ahead with filling paid orders. I think if the family is moving forward so should we. Take the lead from the.
Point conceded, John.

However, as per what the family told US, we were to WAIT until they POSTED something on THEIR site...not START here and force THEIR hands...which is kindof what it seems happened instead.

I agree....I think it's MUCH better we hash things out here rather than bombarding the family-I think the issue for us is we just want to ensure respect and continued tranquility for them. And I know that's what YOU intend as well...I just can't be that certain about everyone, ya know?

High Regards!
Indydawg
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

Speaking from a father's standpoint.... If I was the gentleman who had passed, I would have been very happy to read such wonderful things said here about me. This would pale in comparson to knowing that my family would be able to go on with the business and be ok. I would want them to enjoy the fruits of my labors and theirs.

I think all who have written in this thread and others about Tony have been very kind and respectful. I did not have the pleasure of knowing him but who would not be honored by all of you?

You can still respect and honor the man by supporting his family. I think also if any member of his family would read this thread they would pick up the same sentiment. All a father wants is for his family to be taken care of and be ok. This is first and foremost.

I think Mr. Nowak would be very happy knowing this.

:TOH:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I'm sorry dawg, I must have miss that post where the family asked us to wait. I agree everyone should try and ask or post with the deepest respect.
Han Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Han Jones »

I talk Riley everyday and have spoken to his mother , Tony's wife a few times as well. Riley dosen't have anymore time to sit on these boards and post replys anymore than Tony did. Bryan post most of Tonys stuff up here anyway. As for an announcment on the website don't expect one soon as still don't even know who was taking care of it. As with any business you can't just let it sit for months and not do anything with it no matter how bad you feel about someones passing. Like i said Riley and I are in constant communication so any annoncment will most likly come from him or me.
Dunross76
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dunross76 »

I agree with Han and I also communicate with Riley. Things look good on his end and he works really hard running Tony's business. Tony Nowak Original will continue in the same spirit, courtesy and we'll see many more wonderful jackets.
Dunross76
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

:tup:
Carry on, then!
Regards!
Indydawg
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Han Jones wrote:Like i said Riley and I are in constant communication so any annoncment will most likly come from him or me.
Dunross76 wrote:I agree with Han and I also communicate with Riley. Things look good on his end and he works really hard running Tony's business. Tony Nowak Original will continue in the same spirit, courtesy and we'll see many more wonderful jackets.
Dunross76
Not to sound like I'm griping, but if that's the case, it would've been nice to have one of my emails or phone calls returned to assuage the site's worries about the family's feelings. Especially since it was stated that there was a slight against the site in dealings with it. :|
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

Mike, I'm one of the people with an order being processed so have been in touch a little. I understand Riley is working 16 hour days just trying to get on top of things - he was still going after midnight last night.

I can't speak for him, but would imaging he's having to do some very heavy prioritising at the moment and wouldn't read too much into it.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

I think we should also remember that the Indy jacket is just one of many concerns for a busy company. They are very honorable to pursue their obligations to Indy buyers so thoroughly, but they likely have some other other very pressing business priorities as well.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Yojimbo Jones wrote:Mike, I'm one of the people with an order being processed so have been in touch a little. I understand Riley is working 16 hour days just trying to get on top of things - he was still going after midnight last night.

I can't speak for him, but would imaging he's having to do some very heavy prioritising at the moment and wouldn't read too much into it.
Agreed on all points, and why I don't want to sound like I'm griping. But that said, if there was concern of perceived misrepresentation of your company, wouldn't you want to straighten it out as soon as possible? Maybe I'm just too used to the ease of communication I had with Tony and should let it ride a bit.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I don't know, there's nothing on the Tony Nowak site to indicate there's been any change in the operation. I'm sure Riley's preference was to fill any outstanding orders before taking on new work, but if you click on the Order button it reads,
Please call NOW to place your order!
Regards,

Indiana Jeff
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

It was like that before Tony's passing. So I just guess the site wasn't updated, that's all.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

SpeedRcrX wrote:It was like that before Tony's passing. So I just guess the site wasn't updated, that's all.

I'm sure you're right. The website never was a major priority for Tony and I'm sure Riley's too busy getting out orders to worry about it right now.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

But that's my point. The request was made by Tony's family to keep things on the mum until they made an announcement on their website, but the website never changed to indicate Tony's passing or an interruption in service.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff