Some big US Wings Indy jacket news

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Some big US Wings Indy jacket news

Post by maboot38 »

Michaelson wrote:I believe it's a general price, and first come, first served. This isn't a COW 'exclusive' jacket, BUT, we were the first ones who knew about the offering (along with the incoming lambskins), and were given first opportunity to get preorders in before it became public.

Regards! Michaelson
That was my guess, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't confusing multiple jackets. With there being at least 3 threads about this subject, and the fact that it is referring to a cow and a lamb jacket, I guess it was just more than I could wrap my whiskey soaked brain around.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

LOL!! Yep, I understand.

Right now we're talking about the cowhide pre-order which also now appears on their site.

The first lambskin pre-orders are also available now, but I don't believe they've appeared in announcement on the Wings site yet..

The striated lambskin pre-orders won't be until June.

3 jackets indeed, but only the cowhide is currently on the plate, with delivery due by June 1st.

Regards! Michaelson
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Michaelson wrote:...with delivery due by June 1st.

Regards! Michaelson
oh I feel like a kid waiting for Santa to arrive!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Paring down on the excess postings about the same subject, I've moved this one over to this thread, dated April 30th by Dawg:
Here is the order for the Naked Cowhide jackets that Sarge is placing for 150 of them...not the original 100 as planned. He also wanted everyone to know that after this first run, the price will likely go up 100.00 making the price just under 300.00. Even at that price, it's still a deal. At any rate-here's our order:

Here is the Order for 150 Indy Cow leather jackets.
12 small
18 Med.
48 Large
36 XL.
24 2X
12 3X

So-now, we wait....

Regards!
Indydawg
Regards! Michaelson
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Michaelson wrote:The first lambskin pre-orders are also available now, but I don't believe they've appeared in announcement on the Wings site yet..
Pre-order is available? Is this recent? Like this week? I ask because last Friday I couldn't pre-order and an order wasn't even a definite. Should I email USW to get on pre-order for the lightweight lamb?

Excelsior!
Riothamus
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Drop them a line and confirm, but I think this has come up within the past day or so.
Like I said, we're talking about the smooth lambskin, NOT the striated version yet.

Regards! Michaelson
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Pre-ordered! See, this is why I subconciously avoided this forum from early '09 through early this year...

It's a lot safer for my checkbook! :lol: :BD:

Ah, but I'll be clearing out some other bits so its an even trade right? :- ](*,)

Excelsior!
Riothamus
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

The pre-orders were offered to COW members first...so, yes, Dan...we get ours first...the rest go after all the pre-orders are honored.

Regards!
Indydawg
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

Michaelson wrote: First blush, just fantastic leather!!! Reminds me of my favored lambtouch lightweight cowhide jackets of yore, but much more robust feel.
That's what I want to hear!!! I LOVE my lambtouch cowhide. I just wish it still fit me the way I want. This sounds like it will be a nice replacement.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Hi Michaelson,

Any impression on how dark the leather is now that you've seen it in person? Is it pretty similar to the color of the jacket as shown on the website?
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Michaelson wrote:
Post a list of shots you want to see, and we'll do our best to compile those requests and post shots. Keep in mind the example I have in hand is a 'large', so all measurements will be based on that size jacket.

I'll add more information here after I've had time to take it home and go over it with a fine tooth comb, but first impression I'm VERY pleased and EXTREMELY impressed with what I see!

Regards! Michaelson
Pocket size, back length, and whether the back panel at the yoke meets the shoulder seam, seems like the most anticipated items. This would determine whether its a new pattern or not. :TOH:

Travis
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Michaelson wrote:Chewy, the old 'lambtouch' was as close to a lambskin in terms of 'feel' and physicial weight as you could find out there. If someone didn't TELL you it was cowhide, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. What you DID know was you had less chance of a rip or tear should the leather ever get hung up on something due to the tensile strength of cowhide over lambskin. That's exactly what this new jacket reminds me of.

Does that make a bit more sense?

Regards! Michaelson
:tup:
:notworthy: :M:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Must have been some great stuff. You would have had the best of both worlds, the toughness of cow and light weight like lamb.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Edited because I just reiterated what Michaelson and Indydawg had already said. That's what I get for hitting the reply button without reading all the way through! :oops:
Last edited by crismans on Wed May 05, 2010 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Indydawg wrote:The pre-orders were offered to COW members first...so, yes, Dan...we get ours first...the rest go after all the pre-orders are honored.

Regards!
Indydawg
Thanks for the clarification!
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Hollowpond wrote:
Michaelson wrote:
Post a list of shots you want to see, and we'll do our best to compile those requests and post shots. Keep in mind the example I have in hand is a 'large', so all measurements will be based on that size jacket.

I'll add more information here after I've had time to take it home and go over it with a fine tooth comb, but first impression I'm VERY pleased and EXTREMELY impressed with what I see!

Regards! Michaelson
Pocket size, back length, and whether the back panel at the yoke meets the shoulder seam, seems like the most anticipated items. This would determine whether its a new pattern or not. :TOH:

Travis
You said it Trav. If it looks like the photo - smaller pockets - I'll order one.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Pocket size, back length, and whether the back panel at the yoke meets the shoulder seam....
...got it. I'll pull out the tape measure tonight and get all those. Anything else?

Yes, it is as dark brown as seen in the photo on the site.

This is definitely the prototype, as it doesn't even have a label! :shock:

Regards! Michaelson
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Michaelson,

I'll take the previous measurements, plus the sleeve length from center back. Also, any idea what size it is? M, L, XL?

Thanks!
Riothamus
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

Well now that I know you can pre-order the lambskin as riothamus just did I think I better pre-order mine just to get that in. Is the pre-order price $295 or $195 for the lambskin? I have been hearing it for the $295 but I could be wrong. I will have to contact wings and see what they tell me. Looking forward to the pictures and review of the prototype you have received Michaelson, sounds like it is a great jacket.

IndianaChris
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

riothamus wrote:Michaelson,

I'll take the previous measurements, plus the sleeve length from center back. Also, any idea what size it is? M, L, XL?

Thanks!
Riothamus
Check.

It's a 'large'.

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

IndianaChris711 wrote:Well now that I know you can pre-order the lambskin as riothamus just did I think I better pre-order mine just to get that in. Is the pre-order price $295 or $195 for the lambskin? I have been hearing it for the $295 but I could be wrong. I will have to contact wings and see what they tell me.
IndianaChris
As I understand, the current pre-order lambskin is $195, and the incoming striated lambskin will be $295, and agree that you contact Wings to confirm.

Regards! Michaelson
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

If its not too much trouble, a chest measurement would be nice too. Hate to keep adding stuff for you Michaelson. Really appreciate you reviewing this jacket and helping us with details. I'm hoping that I can get by without a long now, your measurements will help me know for sure.

High Regards!
Riothamus
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Will do. Will a 'pit to pit' measurement be ok?

Regards! Michaelson
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

Michaelson wrote:Will do. Will a 'pit to pit' measurement be ok?

Regards! Michaelson
That'll do nicely. :TOH:

Excelsior!
Riothamus
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Michaelson wrote: Yes, it is as dark brown as seen in the photo on the site.
Excellent. Thine trigger hast been pulled!

The answer I got about the NZ Lambskin is that it's still not a definite product, so pre-orders might be pre-mature.
I never thought I'd buy another cowhide jacket, but this one is just too.... "right."
BwanaJohn
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by BwanaJohn »

Glad I'm on the list, thanks to all involved for this info.! :notworthy:
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

The answer I got about the NZ Lambskin is that it's still not a definite product, so pre-orders might be pre-mature.
Just to clarify, is this referring to the striated lamb or the lightweight lamb?

Can anyone tell that I'm terribly excited about the striated lamb? :[ :lol:
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

I specifically asked about the smooth New Zealand lamb, not the striated lamb, the sample of which Sarge just got a few days ago.
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

Whenever I go to a mall store like jcpenneys/gottschalks during jacket season they usually have a few different types of leather jackets. One feels rough and pretty much like @#$%.. the other is as smooth as smooth can be and it's usually labeled as New Zealand leather. I've always wanted one like that.
I love my goatskin A-2 but it's never been as smooth as that and it's obviously tempermental (left it in the back of my car trunk for 2 days and it's like it dried up and got all pebbly/rough again).

There are some sights that sell cheap leather jackets, like really cheap, that say they're new zealand leather. I wonder if they're just as soft?
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Lightweight NZ lamb on US Wings site now! Doesn't mention its availability date though.

http://www.uswings.com/aviatn.asp#LWLIJ

blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

Hmmm looks different than I thought it would. Was hoping for a tight fitting dark chocolate look... I need to see real life photos on someone..
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Antique Cowhide Measurements are here from Michaelson!!!!!

I just got off the phone with Michaelson :M: , he’s having computer problems and wanted me to post the measurements of the Large he received from Sgt. Hack since everyone wants to know about it. I’ll try my best to translate what was said and how I wrote it down so… bare with me. ;)

Anyways, he said the color is a dark chocolate with mocha highlights when looked at in the light. He said the leather is thinner than the Collector’s edition but feels robust; it’s also 1/3 lighter. He also mentioned that if anyone practices the Dark Arts of Distressing this jacket is for you since it looks as if it will show the mocha easier than others. :twisted:

He said that in his personal opinion the cut of this jacket is the best one he’s seen from Wings. And he’s seen them all (well, except for that Kangaroo hide). The Collar is what he was so impressed about though. He stated that this was the first US Wings jacket that had a taper to the collar and he said the collar was perfect.

Dimensions

Collar is 3” to the point and that tapers back to 2”, which goes around the neck to widen to 3” on the other side.

Pocket size – 7”W x 8 7/8”L
He said they were big enough for his hands and didn’t put any strain on the jacket when he put his hand in there

1 inside pocket, left hand side

The back panel yoke has 1” between the action pleat and shoulder seam

The chest from arm pit to arm pit is 23 ½” which equals a size 47

The sleeve length
35 ½” from center collar to cuff
25 ½” from shoulder seam to cuff

The back length is 27” from base of collar to bottom of jacket

Have full leather facings

Storm flap comes up to base of collar stand

Side-straps are 4 3/8” above bottom of jacket

D-rings

Again, this was all from M. Enjoy \:D/

-TS
Last edited by Tennessee Smith on Wed May 05, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

Why... is something bad about that?

Anyway size 47... guess it's gonna be a medium for me..
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Tennessee Smith wrote: Anyways, he said the color is a dark chocolate with mocha highlights when looked at in the light.
Leave it to Michaelson to describe a jacket in terms of coffee. :lol:
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

binkmeisterRick wrote:
Tennessee Smith wrote: Anyways, he said the color is a dark chocolate with mocha highlights when looked at in the light.
Leave it to Michaelson to describe a jacket in terms of coffee. :lol:
Yeah Bink, his actual words were a Chocolate esppresso with a warm mocha highlight...

Again, he's not here to defend himself.

So yeah he said that :Plymouth:
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

WOW, now I'm totally confused. Michaelson's Large measurements are basically the same as a Medium on the chart:

Chart M Chest: 24"
Mich. L Chest: 23.5"
Chart L Chest: 25.5"

Chart M Sleeve: 35.25"
Mich. L Sleeve: 35.5"
Chart L Sleeve: 36"

My head hurts . . .

RZ
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Thanks to Michaelson for taking the time to get the measurements and to you Tennessee for posting them. Sounds like a real winner to me.
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

So for the other lambskin jacket the one that's going to be like $300.. does the pattern used mean it will be the most accurate Raiders jacket under $500?
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

blueoakleyz wrote:So for the other lambskin jacket the one that's going to be like $300.. does the pattern used mean it will be the most accurate Raiders jacket under $500?
I don't think there's an easy answer to that.

It's from a 25 year old pattern of Neil Cooper's who (as reported by _) made at least one jacket that saw use in Raiders. The jackets that we see on screen (or the main ones I should say) have elements that don't resemble this pattern (strap placement, etc.--but this pattern does seem to resemble the jacket from the "dock still" and perhaps the Bantu Wind dock scenes). RC has theorized (correct me if I'm quoting you wrong here, RC) that this pattern might have been a prototype submitted by Cooper before he produced at least one of the jackets that we see on screen (a theory that I think has some merit). So this pattern certainly does have some provenance to it, but exactly what the extent of that provenance is and it's impact on the jacket's history is still to be fully determined (unless someone out there smarter than me [and there are many] has figured it out ;) ).

Add the fact that the striated lamb is very close to at least one of the skins used on the movie jacket (think Flying Wing scenes) and you have a very desirable jacket. At least in my opinion. ;)
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

From what Michaelson told me today, and he was told by Sgt. Hack, that the pattern used on this jacket is almost identical to the one designed by Cooper. That being said Michaelson also wanted to stress that the movie jacket was not functional and that this one had been altered to make it so. If that makes sense? He said this and the Blue label are as close to Coopers original as they come.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

JC1972 wrote:Lightweight NZ lamb on US Wings site now! Doesn't mention its availability date though.

http://www.uswings.com/aviatn.asp#LWLIJ

It's beautiful! Aaaaaaa! :Dietrich:

I finally understand the true meaning of a love-hate relationship. I love-hate you, Sgt. Hack!
ProfessorHenryWJonesJr
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Just shaking my head and laughing at the stupidity.

Post by ProfessorHenryWJonesJr »

THANK YOU, Sgt. Hack. :TOH: :notworthy: \:D/ :tup:

Just placed my order for the U.S. Wings Lightweight New Zealand Antique Lambskin Indy-Style Jacket. $195.00 YES!!!!!!
And here are the other pictures of the jacket from the US Wings website.

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Better get you some o' this:

ProfessorHenryWJonesJr
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Just shaking my head and laughing at the stupidity.

Post by ProfessorHenryWJonesJr »

COW member "Texan Scott",

Oh, trust me, I have that one on pre-order also. ;)

But, time to "downsize" my Indy-style jacket inventory. #-o
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Too bad there's no talls in the mix for us 6'+ guys.
Still a great deal!
grailguy
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by grailguy »

Hi Everybody,

Really taking the plunge here—this is my first post ever on COW, but you've all had a longstanding impact on my wallet. :D

Just ordered the antique cow, which will be my 3rd USW jacket. (It joins a medium goat in dk brown—which still fits after a couple years of too much pizza, but I can't layer it much. And a large LE in the KOTCS leather which I'm mostly too afraid of snagging on something to wear much.)

Anyway, just wanted to send a special thanks to Michaelson and Tenn. Smith for the info and comments. (Last Crusade is just about my all-time favorite movie, so the dead on LC look remark was the final nudge to send me scrambling for the credit card.)

Ordered an XL based on the specs Michaelson posted and under special comments said I was hoping for closest jacket size with an armpit-to-armpit measurement of 25" and an across the back of 20." (I'm 6', 200.) Looking forward to seeing how this turns out . . .
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

grailguy wrote: Just ordered the antique cow, which will be my 3rd USW jacket.
Addictive, ain't it? :P This will be my 4th (and likely the lamb will be my 5th). I want to thin my collection, but I love every one that I have!!! ](*,)
grailguy
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by grailguy »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:
grailguy wrote: Just ordered the antique cow, which will be my 3rd USW jacket.
Addictive, ain't it? :P This will be my 4th (and likely the lamb will be my 5th). I want to thin my collection, but I love every one that I have!!! ](*,)

Exactly. Maybe the unoffical COW standard is an Indy jacket for each day of the week?
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Maybe its just me, but if I hadn't been following this thread from the very beginning, I would be soooo confused. This thread has an ongoing conversation on virtually every page about 3 different jackets. I have been following it (very closely) and every now and then I see a post about something and I'm like, Is this about the cowhide? The lightweight lamb? The striated lamb? What the heck!!! ](*,) DEFINATELY, not telling the mods how to do their job, but am I the only one who thinks this would be less confusing if it were divided into three seperate threads?

Travis
ps Thanks for the measurements :M: :TOH: