Best Last Crusade jacket leather...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: Best Last Crusade jacket leather...

Post by Texan Scott »

That TN is a treasure! There wasn't all that many LC's made by TN was there? I can think of you, Nephilio, Tundy, Han Jones? and maybe a couple more that posted. Lots of CS though.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Texan Scott wrote:That TN is a treasure! There wasn't all that many LC's made by TN was there? I can think of you, Nephilio, Tundy, Han Jones? and maybe a couple more that posted. Lots of CS though.
a few more here but the majority to people who aren't COW members
Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Restless Dreamer »

about the LC distressing...yeah, it looks artificial, but...

what if Indiana Jones simply bought a pre distressed jacket? :D I don't know if back then there was already the trend of pre distressed clothes, but if so...one could assume that IJ just went for a pre distressed jacket in the beginning.

\:D/
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

...hmmm... :-k ...in essence, if Indy were a real guy, living in the 1930's, etc., I don't think he would have cared where the collar meets the storm flap, the size of the yoke, the position of the straps, size of the storm flap, scollups on the flaps, gussets, hidden or visible press studs, size of the pleats, type of press studs, action back, whether the sleeve seams meet the yoke or not, lining, type of snaps and loops, gauge of zip, etc. But the idea is it was necessary to get us where we are today.

It's fun to cuss and discuss the 'mysteries' and even to try to boil these mysteries down. It's sort of the nature of the 'sport'. Curiosity sort of leads you to in effect, put on a detective's hat and try to figure out 'who done it'. I'm glad too that others have paid particular attention to detail and have paved the way for a more accurate Indy jacket and other gear for that matter, but in real life, most people don't get too worked up over this sort of stuff.

Actually, the action back straps are a point of weakness of the jacket, so the real deal might have been a one piece back. Not to take it too far off topic, of course. ;)

For now, the nuances of the LC jacket as compared with the other jackets and each one's leather is where the discussion, questions and mysteries are. Apparently, the LC jacket does not have quite the colorful history that the Raiders jacket has, as apparently HF and wardrobe knew exactly what they wanted before production was begun, by trying on jackets until one was comfortable. Compliments to Lee & G&B.
Last edited by Texan Scott on Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Texan Scott wrote: Actually, the action back straps are a point of weakness of the jacket, so the real deal might have been a one piece back. ;)
The thing is, they shouldn't be. They are only there to help keep the action pleats closed. Folks use them as a side adjustment and pull them so tight they rip out. They were never intended or designed to be used in that fashion, and anytime you use something in a manner it was not intended, it's going to fail.

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Hi 'M'. Maybe I could have have explained myself better...I just meant that when you have strips of leather attached across two points, greater likelihood for catching them on something, hanging them up. If they are not engineered correctly, have a tendency to pull out, etc. So far, mine have not, but others have expressed problems in that regard.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

In all the decades I've worn mine, that has NEVER been an issue for me. Catching the action pleats on things at inopportune times HAVE been, but never issues with properly adjusted straps to date. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

RCSignals wrote: Quite a few have been shown in the CS leather Chewie. You've probably seen them. tundrarider's jacket is one.
The BEST LC jacket (IMHO) I have ever seen on this board was Han Jones'. Does anyone know if his is a dark CS leather? HJ, you out there?
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

He has three LC Nowaks, I thought? A vintage goat, a happy cow, and a CS?
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

I thought he just had one TN per movie, but I might be wrong. I'm not very active in the Jacket discussions, normally.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Depends which one. I think he has one in the Italian cowhide and one in dark CS
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Yeah! Display those fine TN-LC's! Post 'em up! :tup:
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Michaelson wrote:In all the decades I've worn mine, that has NEVER been an issue for me. Catching the action pleats on things at inopportune times HAVE been, but never issues with properly adjusted straps to date. :-k

Regards! Michaelson

Everyone's different ;) I catch my straps about every month on something - a car steering lock, a fence, a ladder, shelving...
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:
RCSignals wrote: Quite a few have been shown in the CS leather Chewie. You've probably seen them. tundrarider's jacket is one.
The BEST LC jacket (IMHO) I have ever seen on this board was Han Jones'. Does anyone know if his is a dark CS leather? HJ, you out there?

Try this:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40607
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

I found the one I thought was best;
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39729&p=563611#p563611

Does not say which it is, but based on the conversations I think it might be the italian leather. Han Jones does say it's a little darker. Also, in this thread he says that the LC is heavier than the CS, which leads me to think it's not the CS leather.

I will admit, though, that they look very similar, so I can see that the CS leather works. But I still say darker is better.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Chewbacca Jones wrote: But I still say darker is better.
Once again, I agree with you Chewie! :TOH: In the movie, the undertones of the distressing look very much like the coloring of the predistressed cow, but the non distressed portions of the jacket look VERY dark brown.

Travis
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Oh...also, look at the length of that jacket in the back. Covers the pocket flaps. Slightly longer. Getting me even more excited for my new Wings!!! \:D/

Travis
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I could see going with a darker tone as a base, then adding lighter distressing. Something done to the leather almost makes it look black, though I'm not sure of the technique. Could it be water, acetone, the original dyed color, etc?
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Well, if they started with a dark brown leather, and then used some sort of leather oil or treatment, that would darken it up. Especially if they used it several times during the distressing process. Acetone would make it lighter. Still, given the dark brown hides I've seen since getting into this hobby, that "almost black" look is not uncommon as an original color.

Man, the more I look at that jacket, the more I want it! =P~
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Although if you look at the photos of the jacket that was in the Chicago display. it is not 'almost black'
Han Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Han Jones »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:
I have 9 Nowaks. 3 are LC. One in CS hide, one vintage goat and an itallian cowhide. I plan on a new Nowak collection thread soon with 3 jackets not seen yet and a very special 4th.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Who do you think offers the best LC leather as it is, today? What do you think of the new USW offering for $195?
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

Full reviews and hands-on, first hand accounts on the new Wings offerings will be coming in just a few weeks.

"Best,' though, is still in the eye of the beholder....for my money, it's gotta look right in person, and wear well to boot. And I'm not gentle with my gear....I work very hard at tending it and keeping it up...maintaining, you know, but I don't baby it either.
Han Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Han Jones »

I am not the best one to ask since I can't see myself ever getting another Indy jacket from anywhere else. If it dosen't come out of 114 Standard St. it doesn't go in the closet.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Understood, Han, but when it comes to comparing a custom $1000 jacket to one available to the community for $195, a lot of folks are asking questions about the $195 jacket right now. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Michaelson wrote:Understood, Han, but when it comes to comparing a custom $1000 jacket to one available to the community for $195, a lot of folks are asking questions about the $195 jacket right now. ;)

Regards! Michaelson

Exactly and that $195 dollar jacket is a very impresive item that'll last for years and bring a lot of pleasure.