Got my EC for Christmas and.... Updated with pics!

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

IndianaCollins
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Got my EC for Christmas and.... Updated with pics!

Post by IndianaCollins »

I just got my EC 8-ft'er for Christmas this morning, and I love it. Only thing, I had several poppers come off, and when I found them, I realized that one of them had pulled about 2 inches of the fall off. I attached a new popper, and it works fine, but I went ahead and sent Jim an email and asked him... Overall, though, I'm pleased. I'm an amateur, but it handles fine... Or maybe I just handle fine... :wink:

What do you guys think? I think maybe the fall was too thin that close to the knot. Again, I'm an amateur...

Also, can I make my own poppers? I thought this might save me some cash in the future...
Last edited by IndianaCollins on Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Congrats on your new whip. As far as your fall breaking off, you want to always make sure that the fall is ALWAYS properly conditioned. That is the primary reason for most fall failures. So grease them before you start cracking and right after. You NEVER want the falls to dry out. Hence, they snap right off.

-S
IndianaCollins
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaCollins »

how heavily? I have some pecards, I'll do it right now.
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

That's just great... Happy Crackmas!
IndianaCollins
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaCollins »

Actually, just cracked myself in the back, leaving this really cool red streak across my ribs and shoulders. I was doing what I guess you would call an underhand crack, and was letting it swing up and land behind me, then doing it again, well, onetime, I was starting to crack, and it wasn't onthe ground at 5 o'clock, but more like 7 o'clock, and I went into the underhand, and suceeded in lashing myself across the back... I'll have to be careful...

you guys, can I make my own poppers?
IndianaCollins
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaCollins »

Actually, just cracked myself in the back, leaving this really cool red streak across my ribs and shoulders. I was doing what I guess you would call an underhand crack, and was letting it swing up and land behind me, then doing it again, well, onetime, I was starting to crack, and it wasn't onthe ground at 5 o'clock, but more like 7 o'clock, and I went into the underhand, and suceeded in lashing myself across the back... I'll have to be careful...

Janine Fraser
Vendor

Post by Janine Fraser »

IndianaCollins wrote:Actually, just cracked myself in the back, leaving this really cool red streak across my ribs and shoulders. I was doing what I guess you would call an underhand crack, and was letting it swing up and land behind me, then doing it again, well, onetime, I was starting to crack, and it wasn't onthe ground at 5 o'clock, but more like 7 o'clock, and I went into the underhand, and suceeded in lashing myself across the back... I'll have to be careful...

You can definitely make your own crackers! To be on the safe side and to do the right thing by your whip...ask Jim to tell you what materials, length and thickness of cracker suits his..... now your whip. That way you keep the balance of the whip at its best performing spec's. Then while your sitting watching TV make up a heap of crackers on place them on a hook (like a big safety pin made out of a bit of fencing wire) and hang them on your whip bag ready to use when ever you need them. If you have a little tub of grease in there too you could put a little grease on the fall as you change the cracker too.The benefit of having your crackers made up and ready to go is you will tend to change your crackers more frequently thus there will be less strain on your falls because your crackers "are NOT" short and stumpy due to the I couldn't be bothered making a cracker right now or I haven't got any spare crackers handy right now syndromes. The changing of crackers frequently is just another little tip in helping the longevity of your fantastic ECwhip! It all helps!
Hooroo
Janine
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

Yep, you can make your own poppers, but you'll need some equipment to do so. You'll need a 3lb weight with a hook attached to it, and nylon baling twine.

Bernie Wojcicki shows how to make them here on his website.
http://www.em-brand-whips.com/makepopper.htm

You can never use too much Pecard's on a fall, in my opinion. Keep your fall very well-conditioned.
jerryrwm
Vendor

Post by jerryrwm »

Well, you can make your own crackers and you don't need any special equipment.

Take a length of poly twine, (or whatever material you want to use) about 20" - 24" long. Hold one end in your teeth, and begin to roll and twist the other end with your thumbs and forefingers. I like to untwist the lay of the twine and keep twisting it until it is nice and tight. Then hold the twine in one hand, grasp the middle of the twine with the other. Bring the bottom end up to your mouth and hold both ends together. then release the middle and it will twist itself together. Measure off 9" or 10" and make a blodd knot. A Blood knot is made by bringing the working end back and wrapping it around the standing end inside the loop two times. Then pull it tight, cut off the excess about 3" from the knot. BAM!! You have a cracker.

But also check out Bernie's tutorial for crackers, it works well if you have a shop to work in.

Jerry R
sab04
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: now, or when you read this......what? ooooooh, Lebanon CT

Post by sab04 »

any pics....... :wink:
IndianaCollins
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaCollins »

not yet. I'll try to put some on my website soon. I'll update here and let you know.

Check this out:
www.freewebs.com/indy007

my website. Click on the Misc, Indyrelated section, and scroll to the bottom of the page.
Last edited by IndianaCollins on Fri Dec 26, 2003 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

sab04 wrote:any pics....... :wink:
You can copy and paste this into your browser to see a picture.
http://www.geocities.com/ecwhips/Collins3.JPG

Jim
doc riviere
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by doc riviere »

Hey Jim !

I ve sent you messages since this summer but i never had news ! :(
I would like to order you an other indy whip !

regards from France
DOCR
TheMantis
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by TheMantis »

I like your web site....you COULD be a young Indiana Jones in the movies!
IndianaCollins
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaCollins »

Thanks, Mantis!
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

doc riviere wrote:Hey Jim !

I ve sent you messages since this summer but i never had news ! :(
I would like to order you an other indy whip !

regards from France
DOCR
Sorry Doc,

I've had trouble with my mailbox at times. It seems to be filtering out some people's addresses. Send me a PM.

Jim
doc riviere
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by doc riviere »

PM sent !!