Okay, Here We (I) Go Again, Hey "Christy" Hat Owners...

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

BwanaJohn
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Okay, Here We (I) Go Again, Hey "Christy" Hat Owners...

Post by BwanaJohn »

While waiting on my hat from Hornet's, I came across a post stating a possible Sizing Difference on the "Adventurer" being sized/made on the small side. I've always ordered a 62 when dealing with manufacturers overseas and never really had a problem. Has anyone come across this problem with a Christy's? Thank you! :?
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Okay, Here We (I) Go Again, Hey "Christy" Hat Owners...

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Mine is more snug than I'm used to, but it still fits. I might be more aware of it, though, because I'm used to factory sized hats being big on me (I'm between their sizes usually).
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I heard this too before I ordered. I usually wear a 61 in a factory size hat so I went up to a 62. Mine fits me about right, so that has me a little worried for you. Hopefully, it might just fit a little snug but still be comfortable.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

My "Adventurer" is actually a little big on me. Not too big to where I can't wear it. I ordered a 57 'cause that's the size my Fed IV is and it fits perfect! But I wish I ordered a 56 in my Christy's. It's all good, though. Nothing a little foam strip won't take care of ;)
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

There isn't two hat size charts on the www that match up. They are all off. My suggestion is to have someone take your head measurements a few time to find out you exact head measurement. Use only the hat chart of the off-the-rack hat you are ordering or give that company you head measurements and let them match you up.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

My take is that most of you are in between sizes that's why some have snug fits and for others are too big. BendingOak is right, have your head measured by someone else and properly (he has a good video on how to do that on youtube).

I'm 59cm and 59cm Christy's fits me just nicely, if it doesn't it means my hair have grown too long and it's time to cut them again. Take hair volume also inconsideration when measuring your head
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

The Adventurer was one of my first hats, so I've had it for about year. The sizing for me was a little snug, but not so much for me to need to stretch it. Having said that though, it has shrunk considerably (it did this within a few weeks). If I were to get another (which I probably won't), I would go a size up.

Ian
Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Restless Dreamer »

Well I have a Henry, size 58, that is a bit too large for my head :-k And a Christy, size 59, which fits me perfectly.

You can never tell with sizes...
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Restless Dreamer wrote:Well I have a Henry, size 58, that is a bit too large for my head :-k And a Christy, size 59, which fits me perfectly.

You can never tell with sizes...
Here's the thing. When I put my hat sizing into any of the different offerings. They match up to the charts. Lets say the Christy's for an example. The tag says 59CM but the tool is saying something different. Why, because they are using 59 CM as if its a hat size not a measurement. :shock: I have yet to this date find on hat chart match up with another and none of them are correct completely.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

To make matters worse, following the size chart of the manufacturer that you buy from is only a starting point! They are not always accurate within their own brand... or even consistent from one model to the next! ](*,)

For example, if I go by the hat size chart for Christy's, a 60cm should measure 23 5/8". Now, I don't have John's measuring tool, but a hat of that size should not be snug on my head. But it is. And have almost no hair, so it isn't that. If I buy another Christy's, I will probably size up, but I will make that decision only after breaking in my current one, which is so far not even bashed! #-o
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

I guess maybe I got a weird Christy's, because I wear size 56 and my Christy's was bigger out of the box than either my Fed IV or Stetson Temple.
BwanaJohn
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by BwanaJohn »

Thank you for your responses, just got it out of the box, and before I attempt "Da Bash", tried it on...Fits Great! Now to figure out what's the next piece of gear (after a New Dishwasher, Home, Car, and Business Insurance Payment, Taxes, etc.)...Man, Glad I bought this when I did! :D