Aussie whipcracking

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Aussie whipcracking

Post by JMObi »

I wouldn't mind seeing more Aussies cracking bullwhips. In the Australian Whipcrackers and Plaiters Association competition rules for whip cracking they state that only stockwhips are to be used. I think it's great that Aussie traditions are being maintained but I think it wouldn't hurt to start adding a bit of variety to the whip cracking competitions. Australian traditions are in a very healthy state and show no signs of being in danger of dying out. How about adding a whipcracking competition in Australia for short and long handled bullwhips, using targeting and multiple cracking. It'd be fun.

One thing to consider is that stockwhip cracking should really be done from horseback to be fully traditional. In real working life, stockwhips are very rarely, if ever, cracked whilst standing on the ground. So if we're cracking from the ground, why not use a bullwhip too. The bullwhips couldn't compete with the stockwhips on their own terms as the stockwhips would win, for instance in rapid multiple cracking. One thing I've realised over the years is that a lot of Aussies assume that bullwhips are too difficult to crack easily and well. Not so, if you are used to them.

Bullwhips do have a little bit of history in Australia. Not much, but a little. I can remember a dyed in the wool 'bushie' asked me to make him a short handle bullwhip in the northern territory, to be used in mustering. He didn't use a whip very often but wanted one to keep in his saddle bag.

Competitors could still wear the stipulated traditional Aussie attire. No need to wear the leather jacket (usually too hot for that!), holster or army issue shoulder bag.

I thought I'd post this here on COW as I can't think of any other forum to post it on. Maybe some Australians will see it.