Specific Fedora Weathering: Crystal Skull

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

thegreatgalling
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Specific Fedora Weathering: Crystal Skull

Post by thegreatgalling »

Hey gang,

I haven't really seen much about the very specific way the CS hats were weathered for the film. In studying pics and behind the scene footage, I have noted three usual features:

1. The hat seems to be completely covered with a VERY light dusting of Fullers Earth.

2. The Ribbon seems to have a concentration of dust along the bottom quarter inch and gets lighter and lighter toward top of the ribbon.

3. It seems that everytime Ford was handed a different Fedora (they were frequently swapped by Bernie Pollack), Bernie sprayed a light mist of water on them, particularly, it seems, at the front crease of the brim.

I should specify that I am reffering to the way the hero hat looks in scenes that dust and dirt are not added as a function of events in scene (the hat getting thrown on the floor, Indy climbing to reach Orellana's grave, etc. A good scene to compare is his running through the bomb testing neighborhood, the streets of Peru, and his walking through Area 51).

Are the above assumptions true? Does anyone else know what Bernie Pollack or the costume department did to age these hats?
Last edited by thegreatgalling on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thegreatgalling
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Specific Fedora Weathering: Crystal Skull

If it helps, I have noticed these two hats appear to be the same one based on the dust patterns:

thegreatgalling
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Anyone? :-
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by TenuredProfessor »

I guess I'm not sure what your question is, thegreatgalling. Like how they added FE? What method? What the mist was? All of the above? As to the method, there's various techniques, ie: makeup brush, sock, q-tip, etc. theres threads on that. Unsure about the mist...maybe water with a little baby oil? I've read that that is good for cinematic sweat stains. Always glad to help :TOH:
thegreatgalling
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Thanks TP, yeah on second read it sounds like I know ENOUGH to just do it to my hat already!

I was hoping there was someone who knew about the actual way in which the hat was distressed for the film and confirm my suspicions. Was it really FE? Do they start at the ribbon? Anyone know what else Bernie Pollack did to the hats?
sam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sam »

Have you tried asking Steve?
thegreatgalling
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Thanks for the suggestion, shot him an email.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

I wouldn't think Steve would know about how they distressed the hats, just how they were made. I could be wrong though...

Kyle
thegreatgalling
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Never underestimate Steve! :lol:
sam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sam »

I was thinking that maybe Bernie would have filled him in during one of their conversations. You never know! Personally, I prefer to age my hats the old fashioned way- wearing 'em! But, I am interested in anything having to do with the CS hat since it is my favorite, followed by the Raiders! Thanks for this thread!