Custom Wested ROLA - A little help please.

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Custom Wested ROLA - A little help please.

Post by Zoltar »

I'm trying to nail down my specs for my first custom Wested, I'm going to start with the ROLA as a base and am currently working my may through old posts and making notes.

My question is with SA in mind what if anything can be considered correct about an OTR ROLA. I'm guessing the ROLA was introduced after alot of the well used spec lists where written. I want to try and cross as much off my list as possible to stand a better chance of getting the important details sorted.

As a new boy I'd appreciate any advise you can give me about going down this road.

Cheers ZOLTAR
Holt
Craftsman

Re: Custom Wested ROLA - A little help please.

Post by Holt »

oh man! dont ask me :lol:
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Good luck Zoltar.

Have you considered a jacket from any of the other vendors?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Ok, fellers, let's not let one thread bleed over into another. [-X

He can read the information throughout the site. Give him any help you can give him regarding his questions, if you would please.

Regards! Michaelson
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Marks right. Im sorry Zoltar.

if I can help just give me a shout.

:TOH:
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

As far as an OTR Wested is concerned, it will be screen accurate insofar as it looks like the jacket you see on screen and in photos, and will function just fine for this purpose. However, how much of the devil is in the details for you? I've seen some spec lists on here that blow my mind with the details, one third of an inch this, one half of a third of a quarter inch that. Uhm, ok. If that's how accurate you're going for, then best of luck to you, but you definitely aren't going to find an OTR jacket like that, and even if you ordered a custom one, the spec list is so long and detailed that you're almost guaranteed to miss at least one or two things, or otherwise be somehow unsatisfied with it. I do not begrudge stitch counters of the unique pleasure it gives them that they apply to the hobby, but I couldn't be that way.

The way the side straps are fastened these days is not the same way it was done then, so that will be different. The pockets on the standard OTR jackets are Last Crusade sized, but you may be able to get an OTR Raiders that has the smaller pockets, and you can ask for the smaller pockets if you get a custom one.

I always ask for X Box stitching (as opposed to Playstation 3 stitching), underarm gussets, cotton lining, and LC sized pockets. Of the three jackets I've ordered to date, that's what I've gotten. I even ordered tapered sleeves once, but meh, I wouldn't now.
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

Thnaks guys

I've got a size 40 OTR Wested Raiders in lamb that's a really good fit I've only had it a month and not really taken it off! I've been doing the Star Wars thing for years (I'm building an R2 at the moment) and Indy was always gonna happen one day, I've always been a big big fan of the films just hadn't got round to the costume yet. The casual purchase of the wested just lit my fuse and I've gone Indy crazy and the OTR just isn't going to live up to the rest of the gear I've amassed!

I live in the UK so financially Wested is the best option for me and I really love the OTR I have.

The main thing I want from this jacket is a closer fit to the body (ROLA), ideally closer cut to the armpits. An inch longer than OTR in the sleeves. I'm picking my pants up from the tailors today so I'll gear up tonite to decide on a jacket length based on the length of my OTR.

Than it's all down to the details! The things on my Raiders OTR I see as correct are.
Stormflap width 1.5"
Collar 2.75" tips, 2.5 back
Pocket widths 6.25"
Pocket setting out from zip and stormflap 1.5" and 1" respectivley
Pocket flap lenghts 3" in centre 1.75" at corners
yoke 1" above sleeve seam.

Can anyone confirm the ROLA shares these details with the Raiders and would it be safe to assume they would be standard on a custom ? (I'm talking generally you don't have to warn me about any bad experiances with said vendor, I've read the posts)

I'm not going to list my other requests I intend making as they are based information available here on COW.

Few things I'd like info on are:
Gussets, I know what they are but what do they do ?
Collar, I absolutley love Holts longer collar on his Raiders jacket, (Mr Holt if you can give me any hint's or point me in the right direction it sure would be appriciated) or anyone elses experiances at collar mods good or bad please share.
80's Fit, does the ROLA only fit closer in the torso or is it cut closer under the armpits as well?

Cheers ZOLTAR
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

lets see,

the gussets are usefull. I recommend them. if you have gussets you have more free armmovement when raising your arms.

the collar. just ask for the collar to be made longer. they should now what my ''Holt'' collar is by now. at least, every jacket I have ordered from them after my ''famous'' jacket has had the longer collar put on. and I only asked for the ''Holt'' collar.

the Rola or ''80's cut'' is not a slim chest. its a slim torso. if you want a slimmer chest then you have to prvide them the specs you want on the chest.

:TOH:
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

Thanks Holt

I think I've got my list together, now I'm going to put it down, enjoy Easter and then next week do some more thinking, read more old posts, and watching Raiders before I dive into anything.

Did I read in a post about Peter working on a new 'Hero' jacket that you've had the privaledge of seeing?
Would a little patience perhaps pay off. :-k

ZOLTAR
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

sure, no prob.
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Seated in a Pan Am Sea Plane, flying over a map of Glendale, CA

Post by Indiana Jake »

Check out this thread.

www.indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45042

I had Wested make this jacket up with most all of Indiana Holt's Raiders specs from about a year or so ago. If you have any questions, let me know. I'm very pleased with the way it turned out.

Indiana Jake
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Zoltar, you might wait for that Wested 'Hero' before making a decision.
If you are close enough or can make the trip maybe visit Wested and talk with Peter directly on the details and measurements you want, rather than rely on email and telephone conversation.
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

Ok here's some pictures of me in my OTR raiders jacket, this is the first time I've fully (almost) geared up so theres still a few details to work on (haircut for starters :lol:), Kim should be working on my AB holster and I've still got to decide on hat and whip.

Please let me know your opinions on the fit and length of my jacket as I'm using this as the basis for the dimensions of My Custom.

Also let me know how I'm doing so far on the rest of my gear.

Cheers
ZOLTAR

A couple with my son Harrison :D

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

and please remind me of WHY you want a new jacket again??

that is probably the best of the rack wested I have seen!
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Holt beat me to it. The jacket looks mighty fine the way it is. Shoot, on that first pic, I barely noticed the whip was missing.
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

Yeah, that was my first reaction too. I don't think you're going to get a better fitting Wested than that.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I have to agree with the others here. Wested is a bit of a gamble at times. It looks like you struck gold your first time out. Keep that jacket and cherish it.
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

Don't worry I don't plan on getting rid of this one, thanks for the compliments. :TOH:

My body stats probably help in a big way:
Chest 40
Collar 15.5"
Waist 34"
Height 5'10"
Shoes 9 (can't have everything!)

All sounds familiar doesn't it. I fit in a suit of Stormtrooper armour like a glove too, the guy they used for the life cast for sculpting the suit was the same sizes as HF, no coincidence I guess as Han wears one of the hero suits!

The main things I'd like to change is the way the zip, stormflap and collar sits. I've been trying to work the devils curl and waves into the zip with no joy. I guess this is down to the leather facing and the heavier gauge of the zipper. My other bugbear is the top of the action pleats flare out at the top rather than sitting flat, my thought's on that where the deep pleats and the back panel stopping short of the arm seam. Perhaps an extra Inch on the arm length as well.

Detail wise I wanted the 5 gauge silver zipper, black sliders, X-box stitching and very minor adjustments to the pocket size and location.

I'm sure you all know what Indy fever feels like. I've just caught it and I've got it bad! :lol:
Raskolnikov
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raskolnikov »

That is one of the best Westeds I have ever seen. And the gear looks very natural on you.
Regards,
Rask
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

RCSignals wrote:Have you considered a jacket from any of the other vendors?
You mean from Tony?
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I've been trying to work the devils curl and waves into the zip with no joy. I guess this is down to the leather facing and the heavier gauge of the zipper.
I'd say you're right there. I've never gotten the demon roll (do you realize some people don't want this feature :shock: :lol: ) with leather facings. Not saying you can't have it, but I've never personally had it with a jacket with facings. I do have a couple of jackets with an 8 gauge zip and gotten a nice wave. Not as good as with the 5. It's a trade off, I guess. Durability or cool waviness! :lol:
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

VP wrote:Demon roll is not the wavy zipper. http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?p=259088#p259088
Thanks.

Perhaps I should have separated the two into two distinct paragraphs? I meant that the leather facings would interfere with the demon roll AND that a heavier gauge zipper might interfere with the "wavy" zipper effect. I did realize we're talking about separate things here but, again, thanks for the clarification!
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

VP wrote:
RCSignals wrote:Have you considered a jacket from any of the other vendors?
You mean from Tony?
No I mean what I wrote, any of the other vendors. Same as I always do, and usually say, Todd's, Magnoli, Tony, G+B,

But if you want to recommend just Tony on your own, do it.
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

:D Demon roll, got it I'll not call it a devils curl again #-o.

Shipping costs to the UK and nearly 20% Import tax and post office handling charges pushes the prices of the other jackets up for me. Also Wested's about a 3 hour drive away from me so I'm thinking of paying them a visit to sort out my next jacket.

Some of the other jacket options look very good but with Wested on my (relative) doorstep it seems the best option for me personely.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Also Wested's about a 3 hour drive away from me so I'm thinking of paying them a visit to sort out my next jacket.
That would be the thing to do
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

Ok then guys.

Think I've locked off my spec list.

How does the arm and body length look on my OTR I need to decide my sizing?

I also need to decide wether to go for lamb again, how would the Authentic Brown Goatskin and Washed Goat compare with my the Authentic Lamb with regards to durabilty, drape, SA, etc.?

All your comments are much appriciated.

Cheers
ZOLTAR
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I'm a fan of the washed goat but it is very matt to begin with and it can sometimes have dark spine marks on it. Pretty much unavoidable, but a good shortcut to a beat up looking jacket. Feels tougher than the lamb, but drapes well.
Zoltar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zoltar »

Just spent the morning at Wested and bumped into Kt Templar who just happened to call in. It was my first meeting with a fellow Gearhead and in the company of Peter made for a memorable time. Thanks for your time Kt and say cheers to Peter for me.

ZOLTAR