MKVIIs & MKVIs ASBESTOS CONCERN

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

MKVIIs & MKVIs ASBESTOS CONCERN

Post by Erri »

A recent thread reminded me of the asbestos hazard related to vintage gas masks and their bags, I came to think that while this info is known to most of the users on COW, many members (not only new ones) might not be aware of it at all.

I simply copy what has been said in the past (with links posted by Swindiana) on this:

extract from this website http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.ph ... mId/382497
Consumers warned against using vintage gas masks

Consumers have been warned that continuing to use vintage gas masks containing asbestos as breathing apparatus may be dangerous to their health, including a risk of later developing mesothelioma.

"The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has recently completed a product safety survey of vintage gas masks", ACCC Chairman, Mr Graeme Samuel, said today. "The survey found such masks were available despite a permanent ban.

"The permanent ban on the supply of vintage gas masks containing asbestos has been in place since April 1991, after the discovery of asbestos fibres in the composite filters of some World War II masks.

[...]

"The ACCC believes consumers may be using them as a cheap alternative for a variety of purposes, including sandblasting and while using chemical garden sprays.

"Wholesalers and retailers of gas masks have been reminded of the ban but the ACCC wants to ensure collectors and tradespeople are aware of the potential danger of breathing through such masks.

"Anyone who has an old World War II type gas mask should not use it as a breathing apparatus unless they are confident that it is asbestos-free.
[...]

Release # MR 214/03
Issued: 7th October 2003
Extract from this website: http://gelean.tripod.com/geln_militaria.html
Important note: It's important to be aware that old gas masks are dangerous to your health and may contain asbestos, chromium 5, mold, fungus and possibly residual agents left over from tests or training. These masks are of historical value only! Do not wear not even for Halloween. Filters also have a short lifespan, and the filter is designed according to the gas used. In WWII, filters were continually being modified. There is no guarantee that surplus masks are not defective.

So the gas masks are potentially dangerous but ARE THE BAGS SAFE? (once I asked Swindy)
Swindiana wrote:It seems most of the bags that people get hold of these days have not had a mask and filter inside them while being stored for 60 years, so the filter was likely to be undamaged and leak-proof while being used, not letting its contents out. To be on a safer side, I'm not saying safe, I'd give the bag a wash to get rid of any unwanted particles. Asbestos in itself is not poisonous, it's the shape of the fibers/particles that makes it so bad to inhale, sticking to lung tissue forever. Not saying you should eat it either...

The point is, I'm not worried about it, but it is for each and everyone to decide for themselves. After all, the WPG replica is out there, and that's great.

Regards,
Swindiana

I am formally requesting moderators/admins to make this a sticky thread considering the importance of the information.
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: MKVIIs & MKVIs ASBESTOS CONCERN

Post by Swindiana »

A good and an important update, Erri. :tup:

Regards,
Swindiana
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Thank Swindiana, I realized that this information was not readily available although, literally, "vital".
I must thank you for all the links and for the awareness that you raised in the past for the sake of all of us, me included.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Erri, thank you so much for posting. :TOH:

Swindy, good to see you around these parts. :mrgreen: