Inner facing of Zipper

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

brex
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Inner facing of Zipper

Post by brex »

First let me say I did do a search for this info but could not get a clear picture of it. I ask for my new Jacket to have the zipper extened almost to the bottom, I recieved an E-mail saying they could only do this if the zipper did not have an inner facing. What do they mean and will the jacket be the same with or without this. Any thoughts on this subject. Agian I did the research just need more.
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

Hi Brex
First let me say I did do a search for this info
Hey, I don't want to speak out of turn, but I hope you didn't let that previous thread get to you too much - I think it's really just a long-term gripe about the same questions being posted all the time, rather than anything personal directed at you. I haven't been around COW all that long myself, but I have found it's always best to do a search on basic questions and you can usually find a lot of great info that way. I have found the COW crowd to be a great bunch of people, honestly. :) So 'don't worry about it' too much is what I'm trying to say :tup:

To try and help with your question:

I'm looking at my newest wested as I write, trying to figure out what they mean by inner facing. I'm guessing it's the strip of leather which runs all the way down the length of the jacket and extends approximately 2 inches into the jacket, next to the zip on on either side.

Looking at my jacket, and based on my premise above, I can't understand why extending the length of the zip would be a big problem, if you want it that way. The only thing which might hinder this is, at the bottom corners of the jacket about 1.5" under where my zip stops, the leather is folded over making the jacket 'hem', and creating a join around 3/4" up the inside facing. This may make extending the zip all the way tricky, but by no means impossible - although I must stress I am no tailor, and there may be another technical reason.

I wonder, why do you want the zip to extend anyway? Both my westeds zips sit at the regular length and work just fine. In fact, I previously owned an Indy jacket with a press stud at the bottom and it sometimes hindered movement (fastened up) when sitting down, driving etc. as the jacket didn't have any 'give' at the bottom and tended to bunch up more. The zipless 1.5" or so on a regular Indy jacket overcomes this, in my experience anyway.

Does this help?

Regards

Alan
brex
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by brex »

It was all taken in fun LOL, no harm done. The reason for the zipper is in doing my research I found that the jackets used in the movies had there zippers all the way down. I also saw Chris Kings Jacket and wanted mine the same way I thought it was the best jacket I have seen it term of matching the movie. You also did anwer my question. Thanks for the info.

Brex
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Brex,

Alan is right. the facing in discussion is the leather that runs down the zipper. There's also one Wested's added around the pockets that I elect to not have incorporated.

The original screen jackets did NOT have the facing running along the zipper. The lining was sewed directly in. This sometimes causes zippers to snag on the lining. Peter implemented the facing to eleviate this problem and cause fewer ripped linings. He'll still make the jackets both ways so it's really up to you what you want to do.

Personally, having had both... and not requesting one way or the other on my latest, I think I prefer the facing. Makes zipping easier as I've been known to snag linings in the past... especially after the jacket settles and they start to sag.

Mike