Florida: Lamb or Goat?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Florida: Lamb or Goat?

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

Being from the Sunshine state, which leather would be best? Given the temperature, I would figure lamb, but given our high humidity, would the more water repellant goat be wiser? Also, have I read the posts correctly that there is no good way to waterproof lamb?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Who, boy, I've anwered this before for Florida folks, but you do bring a different wrinkle to the question. I lived and worked in Tallahassee for 3 years, driving back and forth to Miami as my job dictated, and can only think of one winter that a lambskin would not have really suited the climate I found myself in. That said, the humidity is a HUGE factor to add in, as I had more mildew to deal with on my cowhide gear than in any place I've ever lived. The lambskin is definitely the best for the temps, but you make a good point in your question....the moisture and humidity would best be kept at bay by goatskin. Just don't put standard Pecards or jell on one, as you really don't WANT that extra weight added to the jacket. Use leather lotion instead, as it will keep the leather supple and clean, but the natural tendency of goatskin to repeal moisture would be the best way to go in my opinion. Good question! Regards. Michaelson
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

Thanks - but... hmmm :-k ... how is goat on the softness and drape? And how much heavier/warmer are we talking? My first choice was going to be lamb (you know, the whole authenticity factor...), but if goat will be more user friendly in the climate... My concern is: will the goat be so warm that I never get to wear it? I'm in central Florida - Tampa Bay. I'm only getting one shot at this - unlike some of our more fortunate COW members, my wife says I can only get one jacket (bummer, huh? :cry: ), so I really gotta make it count...
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

My advice would be to e-mail peter and ask him. Being an expert on the jacket HE made, he'd probably know. :junior: -IJ
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

I did request Wested for some samples, but the won't really answer the warmth and drape question. Also, most goat I've seen seems pretty shiny - is that across the board and how do you minimize it?
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Panama Tom, being that you're in an area that is so humid, I'd recommend getting the lining in all cotton...the satin lining would probably not feel too great mixed with sweat.

So what part of Florida are you in? I'm heading down there next week for Disney. I'll have a Wested goat with me (cotton body/satin sleeves).
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

I'm in the Bradenton/Sarasota area - about 8 miles from the beach. However, next week I'll be in Ohio for Xmas (freezing and wishing I had a cowhide Wested on ](*,) ), so enjoy Disney for me! By the way, I saw some shots of you and your predist. goat - it looks really good. I may just go ahead and bite the bullet and get the goat so I know it will last forever regardless of the elements or my not so exciting adventures in retirement land USA (they filmed "Cocoon" here if that gives you any idea :roll: ...)
SurfinGorilla
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by SurfinGorilla »

I live in Jacksonville, my brother in Tallahassee.....we both just ordered goat for the durability and the water resistance. I guess it comes down to what you are going to use the jacket for. If you are going to wear it often in an and every condition I would go for Goat, if you are going to wear it only on special occasions and don't plan on doing any adventuring I would probally go with the lamb.

Michealson,
When were you in Tally, and what job did you have at the time. If you don't mind me asking?

Later,
Reggie
Lindiana
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lindiana »

Hey Tom,
I have the goat and the lambskin and I gotta tell ya the lambskin is a pretty jacket but I tend to wear my goat more. I'm from Illinois where humidity is nasty 6 months of the year and the other half is freezing. I've wore my goat from about 70 degrees down to high thirties with no problem at all. The drape is similar to the lamb once broken in but will never have the soft as butter feel. The more you abuse the goat the softer it will become. The lamb is an incredible jacket and when wearing you can see why they picked it for filming, cause it drapes beautifully, but if you want a coat you can actually do a bit of rugged adventuring in as well go with goat. The color on the lamb and goat I have are identical so that's no longer an issue apparently. If you plan on wearing it in warmer weather I'd recommend the cotton lining also. I wear my lamb on dressier occasions but when going to the local pub or just everyday adventures I grab the goat skin.
Lindiana
auntsugar
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Back at the workbench....tinkering--always tinkering.

Post by auntsugar »

I just spent 5 years in Ft. Walton Beach, and I wore a Wested goat. No problems here...
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

" The lamb is an incredible jacket and when wearing you can see why they picked it for filming, cause it drapes beautifully..."Lindiana

Valid point, and it brings up a point that's probably been made a hundred times on COW - and correct me if I'm wrong - while the film Indiana wore lamb for it's visual appeal, the real Indy would have needed goat or at least cow to hold up to the daily requirements of the job - ya know, being dragged behind trucks and all...
Kinda makes you wonder - after jumping into a South American river while being chased by Hovitos, what kind of shape would his lamb jacket have been in? :-k
Lindiana
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lindiana »

Bingo!!! That's why my goat is for the daily wear, and the lamb only comes out occasionally.
Lindiana
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

How about the shine factor of goat - any advise on how to minimize it or is that just part of the deal with goat?
Lindiana
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lindiana »

You can minimize the shine with a little distressing and wear but I really don't think it's that noticable. If you have someone near you wearing a lamb skin it might be more noticable. Personally I don't even think about it, like I said I wear the goat most of the time and I've actually had people come up to me on the street and say "that looks just like Indiana Jones's jacket". Then I always get to tell the whole Wested story. I'll try to post a pic or two soon of the goat so you can see the shine isn't really as big a deal as some make it.
Lindiana
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

That would be cool - :D Lookin' forward to it...
Lindiana
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lindiana »

Here ya go, Remember to alot of the shine you see in this pic is cause of flash photography, and yes it is a brown jacket it just photographs darker.
Lindy
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

Coool 8) Now is that authentic or dark brown?
Lindiana
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lindiana »

that would be the authentic goat!
Lindy