My palms are sweating...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

My palms are sweating...

Post by Ravenswood »

Just ordered a ROTLA custom from Wested!! My OTR is long. Got a good look at the thing in a full length mirror last night while I was video-taping a band at a club. I couldn't help but notice how "formal" the extra length on the OTR makes the Indy jacket look, not to mention the side-straps being so low, that they all but remove the nice (for lack of a better term) upside-down "V" look where the shirt peaks out on the sides. I must say, the overall presentation, after having a good look at it in the mirror while I was working, is more like a blazer than a jacket, what with the back length being even with the front. I think I have grown to have a fondness with how short the back is, relative to the front of the RAIDERS jacket. That feature isn't always so apparent in the movie...
Anyhow, I will most certainly post pictures when package day arrives! WISH ME LUCK. As Randall Peltzer said in "Gremlins", "This could really be the big one."
Ravenswood
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: My palms are sweating...

Post by Michaelson »

I have the same 'situation' with my G&B 44L Expedition and my CS Novak. They tend to go more toward the TofD look in length, and the CS is, well, the CS length. Nothing wrong with the look and actually SA in many of the films.

My 42R Expedition is the short version that captures the Raiders look that I like in warmer weather. That's what I'm wearing today.

Regard! Michaelson
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Congrats on your purchase! Please keep us posted...and pics :) . The idea of purchasing a ROTLA Wested has been growing on me. I'm still debating it, but of all the jackets - that one just keeps grabbing my attention!
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

congrats Steve.

what specs did you go by?
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Michaelson wrote:I have the same 'situation' with my G&B 44L Expedition and my CS Novak. They tend to go more toward the TofD look in length, and the CS is, well, the CS length. Nothing wrong with the look and actually SA in many of the films.

My 42R Expedition is the short version that captures the Raiders look that I like in warmer weather. That's what I'm wearing today.

Regard! Michaelson
M, I suspect you probably only need a 'Long' jacket for the sleeve length, not body length?
Didn't you post before that you ordered your CS with extra length in the body?

But yes, the Raiders jacket is a short jacket. It doesn't always appear so short in the movie because of it's odd cut, but there are definitely scenes where it's shortness shows up..
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

I hope your new jacket is all you expect it to be and more.
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

Thanks RC!
THanks fellas
I used their form to keep things nice and tidy. Got 38 REG with 24" back and 24.5" sleeves (I have somewhat longer arms).
Gussetts were added, just because, well why not :D and of course, the sliders and X-Box stitch.
One thing I forgot to put in the special provisos section...the strap placement....sounds ridiculous since that is a major concern of mine, but believe it or not, in the heat of the moment, I forgot to ask.
I have however, seen other shots of the custom jacket, and the placement of the straps is correct. I am thinking they correct on the custom model anyways.
Should I send them an email and say, "O, btw, can we please make sure the straps are placed 5' above the hem? thanks!"?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

yes, you can do that. they probabaly havent cut it yet. just tell gemma to update your order. but you have to make sure she has done it. trust me!
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Yes if you do that ask for a confirmation.
Stress it's importance to you and maybe cc Peter also
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

Just sent the email out. LOL, I just re-read my last post, and it says five feet, haha. (5')... EDIT: 5" haha YIKES! THAT would be something!
Well, I just got done measuring my 1999 and 2003 Westeds, and the side-strap actually measures five and a half inches from the bottom hem....the point being to meet the pockets halfway, so to speak.
Ironically enough, my side-straps on the OTR ROLA measure exactly five inches from the bottom hem, which may be high enough for a 38 reg, but the back panel is extra long, and the pockets are placed higher up from the front hem than "regulation"....pardon me, my head is swimming with specs, lol. I really shoulda requested the "Agent 5" or the "Holt" in retrospect...but I want to try out their standard form without any special mods...I don't mind saying their might be room for just......one.......more........jacket........heheheheheh ;) :anxious: :lol:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

if you ask for the reg you will get:

facings. brass zipper. armseam lined up with yoke. bigger pockets. wrong collar. full cut. probably no X-box stitching. lower strap placement. shorter straps. and probably D rings.

its still a great jacket, it only is in lack of some important details. IMO.

I mean, if go custom? why not go all the way? ;)
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

I am :) I ordered the custom rola...i said ROTLA in my initial post, but I meant the ROLA custom:
http://www.wested.com/customrola--jacket-161-p.asp
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

Just to be clear, you're not saying if I order a custom ROLA in 38 regular (as opposed to long) i will get all that "wrong" stuff, such as facings on the zip?? Color me confused :oops:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

well, thats the thing with ordering from them. you REALLY need to be clear about what you want from them.

so I would suggest to send an order to them with all the details you want.
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

I went ahead and sent them an email. Gemma has swiftly responded to my initial email about the placement of the straps. She assures me that they will be 5.5 inches above the hemline. I know you specified five inches when we discussed this issue with regard to my Off The Rack model, but imo, the higher the better. I have never seen an Indy copy jacket where the strap placement was too high.
I am certain this will be the eighties cut model, with no facings, sliders, and proper strap placement...I realize Wested has always had issues with pocket size and placement, but that is the least of my concerns. I just want the back to be nice and short (24 inches) and the side-straps to be high enough...with all the other features that the ROLA offers.
And I agree, when ordering this jacket, you wanna make darn sure you're gonna get what you want.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

If there is anything in Holts observations you are uncertain about with how you think the jacket will be made as opposed to how you want the jacket, ask for a confirmation now before the jacket is made.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

I think that if you ordered their "Custom ROLA" jacket, you'll get a jacket w/out facings, bigger pockets, and fuller cut...so you should be okay in that department (if Wested does their part) vs. the the regular Raiders, which would be just the opposite.

But the main "wrong thing" that Holt had mentioned was the yoke panel not being raised 1'' higher than the arm-sleeve seam, which I don't think comes standard on neither the ROLA nor Raiders jackets unless you specifically ask for it. I had written Gemma an email asking if I could order ROLA jacket, but w/ the yoke panel raised 1'' higher, but haven't heard anything back from her as of yet.

I wanted to find out to see if there will be an extra charge for that to be done because if went ahead and filled out their check-list/form on their website and clicked payment through PayPal, it's listed that "any additional requests may incur further charges" and my instant payment through PayPal would therefore be less...and I may not get the 1'' higher raised yoke. In that case, it would simply be easier and cheaper for me to purchase a ROLA "off-the-shelf"/regular/standard jacket that is made elsewhere for them since I'm assuming that I'm buying pretty much the same thing anyhow other than the category "ROLA" and "ROLA Custom."

I dunno if I made any sense, but I hope that I did :oops: lol
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

5.5'' okay. just dont go any higher or it will look of since you have a 24'' backlength. the straps are confirmed to be 5'' above the hem.
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

Gemma has given me assurances that it will be a true Custom made in the UK ROLA jacket. I am now a Gearhead in waiting and Spring is FAST approaching! I couldn't wear my OTR yesterday without breaking into a sweat :o so I hope I don't have TOO much longer!
My order was updated to "PROCESSING" on the 11th....my ears are burning with every stitch! :lol:
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

It's still 30 degrees F here with snow and sleet coming in almost daily, no sign of real spring yet.
indy1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indy1936 »

Indiana Holt wrote:5.5'' okay. just dont go any higher or it will look of since you have a 24'' backlength. the straps are confirmed to be 5'' above the hem.
I wear a 46 long Raiders jacket with 27" back length. How high should the straps be from the bottom on this one? My current custom Raiders has them at 5" (measured from the bottom of the strap to the bottom hem). They seem a bit low to me.