Quick AB Question:

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Quick AB Question:

Post by michaelb »

Hello,

Probably been gone over before, but didn't have much luck on searches... My AB is really soft except for where the front pinch and center dent at the top meet. Kinda where you grab it, although I know this is not wise. It is like cardboard, and I read that this can cause a "crack/breaking" over time? I know that it is probably the stiffener, but is there a way to soften it just in case? I was thinking of just "misting" it with a spray bottle of water every now and again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

MB
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Quick AB Question:

Post by Fedora »

Remove the liner. Take some ethanol, a high proof, and wet this really stiff area with it, so it leeches through the hat. Let it dry and then repeat as many times as needed to remove the shellac. Ethanol is the only thing that will take out shellac. And yes, a really hard area from shellac will crack alot sooner than a soft felt. I battle this shellac deal constantly. My feltmaker insists that they do not use shellac in dress bodies. But, he is wrong!!!!! Apparently it is done, unbeknownst to him. I know as soon as I pull a hat off the block if they messed up and used shellac, which is not needed in pure beaver dress bodies. Beaver is so dense, it does not need the help of shellac.

I have in the past got in dress bodies that were closer to western ones due to the shellac. I have to go and spend a hundred bucks or so to buy alcohol so I can leech most of it out! One big pain in the......

Even the film hats came with a bit of shellac in them.( a very small amount thankfully) Bernie wanted one really soft hat, for the PR photo of the hat on the crate, and I had to soak that body in a big can so I could insure no shellac was in that hat.

Now when I order bodies, these days, I always remind them, NO SHELLAC!!! Much to their chagrin, I think. :lol: But it saves me time and money, with the time being the biggest factor. Fedora
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

Thank you Steve!

I will look into getting some ethanol. Very interesting... I guess my only other concern is with applying to this one area, will it create a "stain" or affect the appearance from the rest of the hat?

Michael

PS: I looked up "Ethanol" and can you or anybody recommend where to find this? I thought any store would pretty much carry it in a houseware dept/hardware store/automotive section, but it looks like a heavy duty fuel(?) Do I have to go to a gas station and ask for it? I am confused and not too bright obviously. :-k
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Hey michaelb, long time no see/read any post's. This is a good post as my AB has shelac in it from when I orriginaly purchased from Fedora, by my request. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Any way my pinch area has developed the look of small fractures. See my post about the use of naptha: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45573
Steve told me to rub this into the felt and see if this'll clear my situation up.
So I'll be watching this post with interest.

Hope all is well with you my friend.

Croft :mrgreen:
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

Hello Mr. Croft,

How are you sir? Sorry, after the closing of my company I haven't been very social during my aggressive/depressing job search... Been over a year now. Took some effort just to get back on here to ask a question or two. :( But enough of that, :-({|= , back on topic...

I don't have any "pebbling"(?) effect, I am just concerned that the top front with the distinct pinch is like cardboard and I think it needs softening before it literally "breaks" or "cracks" as I heard can happen. It looks fine, but for such a nice hat, I just want to protect this gem in advance, just in case. I DO happen to have some denatured alcohol solvent, (great for getting fingerprints and general cleaning of lightsaber hilts), that is mentioned in your link. Can I use that to get the felt a tad softer and take out the shellac? Or should I stick with a search for ethanol?

Good hearing from you as well!

Michael
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I will look into getting some ethanol. Very interesting... I guess my only other concern is with applying to this one area, will it create a "stain" or affect the appearance from the rest of the hat?

Michael

PS: I looked up "Ethanol" and can you or anybody recommend where to find this? I thought any store would pretty much carry it in a houseware dept/hardware store/automotive section, but it looks like a heavy duty fuel(?) Do I have to go to a gas station and ask for it? I am confused and not too bright obviously.
I personally use denatured alcohol, but it has methanol in it, so folks won't drink the stuff. The ethanol in this denatured alcohol is what cuts shellac though. But I did not suggest it because the fumes are bad for you. Poison.

Around here, you can go to a drug store and buy small bottles of ethanol, right next to the isopropyl alcohol. That would be your best bet, and being plain ethanol, with no methanol, it is safe to use. I would imagine a bottle of Everclear, 180 proof from your local whiskey store would do as well. Same stuff as what you get from the drug store.

On Crofts hat, the extra shellac one, this would work too, but would take out the shellac. I was just trying to help him get rid of the cosmetic effects of shellac, which Naptha will do. But naptha will not remove any shellac. Only ethanol alcohol will do that. Hope this helps. Fedora
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

Thanks guys!

Sounds great! I will be on the lookout for the ethanol. Otherwise, I will try the Everclear or denatured alcohol.

Michael B
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

I usually go to the local gas station and get a one liter bottle of Marinol (80-100 % ethanol), costs like three euros. I use it as fuel for my Trangia.
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

Really? I can just go and ask? I guess I would need a container that would be considered safe...

Thanks VP!
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Yeah, they sell it in bottles like this over here. Dunno 'bout the States.