Adventurebilt shrinkage?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IndyBrit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Adventurebilt shrinkage?

Post by IndyBrit »

I've been lucky enough to acquire an AB from another member here. \:D/ Essentially it is brand new ( made in 2006) beaver and never been worn. It's a size 58 and a good fit, just a tad snug. Some of my other fedoras have shrunk with wear. How about AB's. Any thoughts or experince on this?

I was thinking about a hat jack or investing in one of John Penman's jack/stands.

Cheers,

Indy Brit
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Adventurebilt shrinkage?

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

Continued wear will stretch the hat a bit, but if you are going to let your hair grow a bit or don't wear your hat as often as some do, I would go ahead and get the hat jack.
IndyBrit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyBrit »

Oklahoma Jones wrote:Continued wear will stretch the hat a bit, but if you are going to let your hair grow a bit or don't wear your hat as often as some do, I would go ahead and get the hat jack.

Thanks for this, trust me this hat is already getting a lot of wear- I wear Fedoras every day. Any one esle care to chime in?
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Some of my other fedoras have shrunk with wear. How about AB's. Any thoughts or experince on this?
The hole size in the hat won't shrink, but the leather sweats will. That is the nature of leather, if it gets wet from sweat. I would advise to invest in a hat jack if the size is snug on you now, or get a hair cut if you hair is long. I know when its time for a hair cut when my own hats feel a bit too snug. :lol:

If the 58 is snug, you are probably my size, a 22 7/8, which is in between a 7 1/4 and a 7 3/8. This 1/8 an inch can be taken care of with a hat jack. See if you can find a vintage one on ebay, that is a 7 1/4 jack in size. But even a 6 3/4 sized one, which you see alot of will work if just used to keep the sweat sized a bit larger. It just turns the opening into a long long oval but your head will bring it back to whatever it is. Fedora
IndyBrit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyBrit »

Fedora wrote:
Some of my other fedoras have shrunk with wear. How about AB's. Any thoughts or experince on this?
The hole size in the hat won't shrink, but the leather sweats will. That is the nature of leather, if it gets wet from sweat. I would advise to invest in a hat jack if the size is snug on you now, or get a hair cut if you hair is long. I know when its time for a hair cut when my own hats feel a bit too snug. :lol:

If the 58 is snug, you are probably my size, a 22 7/8, which is in between a 7 1/4 and a 7 3/8. This 1/8 an inch can be taken care of with a hat jack. See if you can find a vintage one on ebay, that is a 7 1/4 jack in size. But even a 6 3/4 sized one, which you see alot of will work if just used to keep the sweat sized a bit larger. It just turns the opening into a long long oval but your head will bring it back to whatever it is. Fedora

Steve,

Thanks for this. I was hoping you'd chime in. It's an honour to take your advice. I'm proud to own one of your creations. It is a thing of beauty and the precision on your sewing is amazing. I hope to have the funds to buy anothr directly from you before you retire.
Sincerely,
Christian (AKA Indybrit)