Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

G&B 40T Questions:

Post by Captain D »

HI all,

I searched through the forums and came across a few threads that discussed the 40T, but the pics couldn't come up on my puter'. Can anyone post pics of your G&B, 40T, again to see if they can come up, as well as list your height & weight?

Thank you for your time :D ,
D
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: G&B 40T Questions:

Post by Texan Scott »

If you are looking for Standard measurements, you may want to refer to this sizing chart, if you have not seen it already:

http://www.gibson-barnes.com/index.php?id=46

No doubt, 40 Tall measurments would be adjusted somewhat to accomodate additional height. Best to consult with a Salesperson at G&B for exact details. You can use a suitcoat that fits best, and take measurements from it, mainly sleeve length, etc.

A true Indy jacket is slightly longer than suitcoat sleeves, in that the suitcoat sleeves will fit at the wrist, whereas the Indy jacket cuffs will end at the first knuckle of the thumb. Also, an Indy jacket should end at 1-2 inches below the belt, depending on how long you like for the jacket to be. They will put a hidden snap at the bottom of the storm flap, and it is possible to get it lined with thinsulate.

My lamb Expedition has become my 'grab' jacket, and I like how the grain of the leather becomes more prominent as it gets older and broken in. In terms of personal qualities, its like a thumbprint of individualization. It's unique, and you notice the nuances of the leather, grain, how the collar lays, for instance, attributes that set it aside from other jackets. You will also get a better perspective of just how sturdy the jacket is in terms of its construction. I have had absolutely zero problems with the purchase of this lamb jacket, as even the lamb hide is quality, durable leather. In terms of the toughest leather, goat is obviously the preferred choice.
that_dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by that_dog »

You can see a picture of me in my 40T lamb Expedition in my initial post in this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41805

My experience with the Expedition (having owned 2, the other in seal chrome tanned goat) is that they run short, even in the tall sizes. I wear an off-the-rack 40 long/tall, and a dress shirt with a 35 inch sleeve. I found the G&B sleeves at least 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch short; if I recall rightly, they measured out at 25 to 25 1/2 inches. When I ordered a Tony Nowak jacket, I asked for 26 1/2 inch sleeves, and while they were a touch long at first, the wrinkling of the sleeves with wear has taken up some of the slack and they are now just about perfect.

P.S. I'm 6'1" tall and weigh about 175.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Thank you gents for the replies,

That's interesting to note that the G&B tend to run a tad smaller/shorter in the sleeve lengths; even in the Tall.

I believe that I tried on a Wested 40R at one point and the body felt really comfortable, but the sleeve length was a tad shorter than I would normally wear. Based on this info - it sounds as if the 40R and 40T aren't that much different after all. But then again, w/ the Westeds' there may be a slight variation when trying to compare/contrast to the G&B. Long shot here, but does anyone know the approximate sleeve length on a Wested 40T for comparison vs. the G&B? If not, that's okay, I can try to contact Peter for an approximate.

Thank you again for the messages and info!
Aaron
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

On the other hand, I have a new G&B lamb, and the sleeves are 24 1/2" and fit perfectly. If you mention the sleeve length, I bet they can accomodate you. No one wants a jacket that is too short, or doesn't fit right, and I would doubt that they would want to make you one like that either.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Thank you Texan Scott - Just so that I may double-check, your new G&B Lambskin jacket is a 40T w/ a sleeve length of 24.5'' inches in length? Thank you again for your time!
Aaron
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

It's a 44R with 24 1/2 sleeves, but as I mentioned in the above post, they can size it accordingly to accomodate you. If sleeve length is a concern, just be upfront with them, and they can no doubt take care of it. Their leather technicians have been working together for many years.
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

I got a 38T G&B, and my sleeves are fine. I'm skinny and have pretty long arms too and have trouble with shirt sleeves too short all the time, so I feel the G&B Tall sizes seem adequate.
Probably a good idea to dicuss this with G&B by phone about it. Although I believe if you have the sleeve extra long (ie. "custom") the jacket won't be returnable.
See the 30 day guarantee:
http://www.gibson-barnes.com/index.php?id=32
I'd get their standard sizing,wear it at home to check the length and just exchange that if the sleeves are not acceptable. You could then go custom for a bit more $.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Thank you for the replies,

I went ahead and talked w/ G&B and the 40T actually seems too long :-k . So, I may end up going w/ a 40R or a Wested custom if need be. But anyhow, thank you again for the replies & guidance!
High regards,
Aaron