How far can sizing tape reduce a hat's size?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

NJIndy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

How far can sizing tape reduce a hat's size?

Post by NJIndy »

I am a 59 (7 3/8) and have used sizing tape to reduce a 60 (7 1/2) but how far can I push it?

I am seen some great deals on hats on Ebay but in 61 - 63 (7 5/8-7 3/4)....

Reasonably ;) , what is the largest size I can buy and use sizing tape?
Some of the hats or the prices aren't worth the added cost of professionally resizing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Pete
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Re: How far can sizing tape reduce a hat's size?

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I'd usually say up to a size difference, but any larger and it begins to look like you're trying to fit a hat that's too big for you.
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

I would also say up to one size. Otherwise the hat will sort of float on your head. And maybe look like a pasta pot.
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

Yes, don't do this:

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Ar ... n_Full.jpg

:lol:

I use two pieces of tape, one in front, one in back.
It seems to make the most difference in those places.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I came across these trolling around the other day. The site lists they are terry cloth which I figure will be good to prevent sweat from getting through to the liner. There's two models listed, one to reduce one hat size and the other for two sizes. I agree that trying to go down two sizes would likely be too much.

http://www.falkoffs.com/falkoffs/dept.a ... 3V594T73P3

I bought one in black so I'll post a review once it arrives.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Yeah Bink is right. One size is about all you can hope for. But with that said, personally I hate the sizing tape. I like my sweats to be sized right.

What I would suggest doing with a hat that is one size too big is just to have someone, or yourself, drum the right sized sweat into the hat. A hat with a drummed sweatband, will be one of the most comfortable hats to wear as well. But you can only change the size by this method, by one size. Like a 7 3/8 being drummed into a 7 1/4.

The trouble with off the shelf sizing is that many folks actually are in between sizes. I would venture to say, about half of the hats I make are actually in between sizes. If you have a local hatter, he can drum in the right sized sweat in a very short time, using the sweatband sewing machine. If not, you could send it off to a hatter that has reasonable turn around times. Fedora
NJIndy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by NJIndy »

Thanks for all the great replies...

Sounds like one size is it...

I like the idea of adding another "internal" sweatband but I can see that if they are more than one size different it could get messy.

Pete
FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by FloatinJoe »

Fedora wrote:The trouble with off the shelf sizing is that many folks actually are in between sizes. I would venture to say, about half of the hats I make are actually in between sizes. If you have a local hatter, he can drum in the right sized sweat in a very short time, using the sweatband sewing machine. If not, you could send it off to a hatter that has reasonable turn around times. Fedora
I'll vouch for that. I'm measured in at 22 5/8 inches or 57.5 cm. That's right between 7 1/8 and 7 1/4. It really stinks to try and find hats.

Mike
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

I thought Ebay had everything, but I didn't see any sizing tape there. I might not have searched well enough I suppose. I only need a small amount for one hat and I was wondering if anyone here would be kind enough to see me a little bit. I'm in California.

Thank you...

Mike
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

You dont need 'sizing tape,' per se. Theres lots of stuff that can be used, anything from folded paper to folded cloth, like a slice of a bandana. Im sure others can recommend other stuff.
Odo
Vendor

Post by Odo »

Fedora wrote:Yeah Bink is right. One size is about all you can hope for. But with that said, personally I hate the sizing tape. I like my sweats to be sized right.
And I don't know how do you do, but I ordered a "58.75" cm, and that's exactly what I've recived. As I usually buy 59cm hats, your's is the only one that its perfect.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Imahomer wrote:I thought Ebay had everything, but I didn't see any sizing tape there. I might not have searched well enough I suppose. I only need a small amount for one hat and I was wondering if anyone here would be kind enough to see me a little bit. I'm in California.

Thank you...

Mike
Do they sell wheatherstrips in California? Why I ask is because the sizing tape I have is indistinguishable from wheatherstrips they sell here: both are foam with glue on one side.

The stuff I am talking about: http://elton.nl/Flexible-draught-strips ... ndows.ashx

Regards, Geert
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Thanks Geert...

I get the basic idea and I'll see what I can find.

Mike
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I can think of few things that is worse than an ill sized hat. It it is too tight, you get a headache. If too loose, you spend all your time chasing it in the wind. I once chased a too loose fedora down the side of an interstate outside of Myrtle Beach S.C. Each time, it was almost within my grasp another 18 wheeler insured that I had to run some more. It had my wife laughing so hard, she could not catch her breath! But, it wasn't funny to me, at the time. Now it is! :lol: I must have caused many travelers to laugh that day. It was something straight out of a Laurel and Hardy film. Fedora