A Couple Fedoras

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

A Couple Fedoras

Post by michaelb »

Hello,

Was going to get some opinions on a Wested when I thought I would post this image of a couple of my hats. HJ from Todd on the left and Adventurebilt on the right. I have to say after about five years the HJ still looks great to me, and the AB rocks. Wish the pic was better, but still getting used to the downloading, uploading etc. I think my image sizes are ok according to the rules.

See my jacket question in, well, the jacket section...

Thanks!

MB
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: A Couple Fedoras

Post by DR Ulloa »

I'd say that HJ has held up surprisingly well. Nice hats. Can we get some shots with more detail?

Dave
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

I will see what I can do!

Thanks!

Mike
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Man that AB looks huge next to the HJ. Are they the same size? I hate to say it, but the HJ looks better, i.e more Raiders accurate than my own hat! Call em as I see em. Even if I am dissing myself. Fedora
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I agree thats a good looking HJ but would love to see some better shots.
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

Fedora and Bending Oak,

The AB of course, is may favorite hat. It's just the angle... And yes they are the same size. The HJ is a tad tighter, but I can pull it down to my ears, no prob. The AB fits really nice, (My wife commented on how good it looked on me the other night!) :D A TAD large, but rests comfortably. And I know that they are supposed to run a bit large to conform to your head/shape over time. And it is really starting to fit almost perfect. Actually, it fits fine. I will post better shots of each later this evening.

Thanks for the comments!

Mike

PS: Is it correct that I can post 6 pics max as long as they are under 640 x 480?
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

Hello,

Ok, here are some more "detailed" shots...

HJ Front

HJ Side3

HJ Quarter Top

AB Front

AB Side

AB Quarter Front

MB
Last edited by michaelb on Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

That is one NICE HJ!!!! Steve, if it's any consolation, your bow and ribbon work makes the HJ's bow and ribbon look sick :-0 . :TOH: Congrats on owning two beautiful hats. :TOH:

Travis
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

Thank you Hollowpond,

Great hats I agree! And the ribbon differences are crazy. Honestly, sadly, I did not notice until now...

I also have an Akubra that Steve, in his most nicest way, offered to replace the godawful ribbon that someone on eBay sold me. He returned the hat with a full letter apologizing that he was not happy with the hat as it was and had to redo the whole thing! My wife thought that I not only had a beautiful hat, but I should frame the LETTER! Now THAT is a lady who appreciates our "hobby/Obsession!" :D I didn't notice anything else wrong with it, but it looked brand new and a beaut in my collection. (Please no more pics for now... My eyes are drained from the computer and trying to get nice images, correcting size and color, downloading to Flickr, uploading from Flickr, etc. Wish we could just use our own computer. I believe that other sites let me do that.?

Oh well, thanks again guys!

Mike
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

The Hj from the front looks really good.

The Ab needs to be re-bashed and it would look fantastic.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

I really like that HJ... but that bow is HORRIFIC! :Dietrich:
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

Ya know Bending Oak,

It LOOKS like it, but for some reason I can't get a good PIC of it. I mean, it looks amazing, AND has a better block shape than the HJ... And from here, it has a more of that "boxy" look to it, as much, if not more than, the HJ. :-k

Don't get it.

When I get the time, I will take some better pics of it, and you will see what I mean.

M
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

michaelb wrote:Ya know Bending Oak,

It LOOKS like it, but for some reason I can't get a good PIC of it. I mean, it looks amazing, AND has a better block shape than the HJ... And from here, it has a more of that "boxy" look to it, as much, if not more than, the HJ. :-k

Don't get it.

When I get the time, I will take some better pics of it, and you will see what I mean.

M
I can tell from the photo's that the AB had the center dent lowered in the front. It would blow away the HJ. I won't even get into the bow work because I think everyone here can see that Steve's bow work is just perfect. I try really hard to get the raiders bow like Steve does. I have so many shots of the Raiders bow I think I might get locked up for being mad.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Well, you have all already said it, but this is quite a testament to Steve's bow treatment, let alone the hat itself. The AB's ribbon puts the modern HJ to shame.
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

More pics of the March 2008 AB:

MB
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

It's the angle and i think the front crease is a tad to high but i wouldn't take the HJ over the AB.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

BendingOak wrote:It's the angle and i think the front crease is a tad to high but i wouldn't take the HJ over the AB.
I think that HJ looks awesome, but I'm with you John, I wouldn't take the HJ over the AB either! :TOH:

Travis
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

Question... The AB's pinch at the center and where it meets at the top, center dent, is VERY stiff... Almost like cardboard. The rest of the hat is super soft and nice. It doesn't bother me, but I think I have heard that this can cause it to "crack" or "break" over time? Should I soften it up somehow? Spray it down with some water? I am sure it is just the stiffener, but I don't know whether to be concerned or not.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks!

MB